Labor Ready

2.1K reviews

Labor Ready Employee Reviews

Found 2,112 reviews matching the search
Busy office where one day was usually different than the next
Customer service / Dispatch (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COJuly 12, 2012
The day would start with me opening the office at 5:30 AM . I had to make sure that all our job tickets were printed and organized. Make sure to check answering service. If there were any cancellations I would have to make note of them. If there were new requests for labor I would have to put that order in and make up the ticket. And assign the job to however many people it was asking for. This would sometimes require me to put out calls to find people to work. Other duties included making collection calls, reading and sorting the mail for the manager. The duties of this job are various and too numerous to mention in this short space.
There were two things about this job I found hardest, when I had orders for laborers and not enough people to fill the ticket. Our clients depended on us to get them the people they needed and if i didn't do that they would look elsewhere. I prided myself on being able to get them what they wanted. The other part was when I had employees in the office willing to work and no jobs to send them too. I had to make calls to look for work for them. It was hard because these people depended on me. This was usually the only income they had and it was hard to disappoint them.
I think the most enjoyable part was when I could put a paycheck in someone's hands for an honest days work and I saw their satisfied smile.
I liked my coworkers but the manager of the branch I worked in asked me to do things I felt weren't examples of good business practices. I was caught between doing as she told me, with the strong possibility of me getting fired if I didn't or telling
  more... upper management. I felt that this would be her word against mine. That is actually why I left the job. I must add that though I didn't like that part of the job I did like my manager.  less
Pros
the company would take us to lunch, the days i got off early after a weekend on call
Cons
being on call every other weekend, disappointing the employees when there wasn't enough jobs for them, the stress i felt when i couldn't fill tickets
Temporary work has its benefits
Temporary Contract Labor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 10, 2014
Obviously, there are always limitations to temporary labor work. There are also benefits. Having a challenging schedule, especially with a visitation schedule every other week, means keeping a job with regular hours is even more challenging. Having the option to turn down a job if there is a time conflict can be helpful. The daily pay schedule is also helpful if you need ready cash to put gas in the car or pay an unexpected bill. Some of the assignments are short, yet you can count on at least 4 hours pay. Labor Ready is one way to meet those challenges.

The drawbacks include limited job security and minimum wage pay for most of the assignments, as well as not knowing for sure when you will get the next assignment. There is a need for workers who can pass UA tests and 2 levels of law enforcement background checks. Given that not everyone can meet those standards, you might think that job would pay more since it is likely that the company is paid more for a higher level worker. This is often not the case. That said, the only other drawback seems to be the way jobs are assigned. Using a text to work system, you are notified of jobs and are supposed to respond by text to be considered. This would be a very efficient system if they always used it, but many times jobs have been filled by those physically at one of the branch offices. That in itself is not an issue, except that if you only text you may miss opportunities. It is better to go into a branch office to get to know the staff there and let them get to know you. This helps them, and you, get better assignment matches.
Pros
flexible, variety, opportunity
Cons
minimum wage pay, unpredictable schedule, communication gaps
I wouldnt suggest this job to anybody even if they were desperate for one
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PANovember 6, 2015
I worked in the office part of Labor Ready for 2 years and I would never suggest this job for anybody and that's on either side of the counter. First of all the workers are treated unfairly and paid so little for the work that is actually being done. They were paid 7.25 and hour to climb ladders and general construction clean up, which is never just construction clean up. I left this place because I was tired of seeing people being overworked for little pay and they company is charging customers 22 to 23 dollars an hour. The workers should at least get half of that amount. #2 the management was clearly not capable of managing. They were inexperienced and spent more time micromanaging instead of driving sales which is supposed to build our bonuses. Seeing as managers received bonuses on a different scale from lower employee they didn't care much and were just plain lazy. Also its a high volume of jobs and no workers or its a low volume of jobs and too many workers available. A lot of the people who came into the facility were rude and would disrespect the staff when they didn't get their way. Managers would not reprimand these workers because of the were needed on tickets. So it was constantly fighting and battling with workers. It is just an overly aggressive environment that I wouldn't suggest working in because its going to result in you being fired or quitting and for the little amount they pay you which is not much above the workers its not worth it.
Pros
Bonuses every quater
Cons
Everything else about the job
Need bus fare?
Temporary Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 11, 2014
Labor Ready is a national temporary employment service that caters to thousands of businesses everyday. On a typical work day, employees will show up to the office before hours hoping they will get a job for the day. The favored employees will be sent out to long, hard work days for minimal pay. The rest of the employees are lucky to get work, which is almost guaranteed to be a rough day for minimum wage.
Employees are offered a form of health insurance, providing they meet unrealistic requirements like full-time hours. Of course, asking the branch manager how to obtain these benefits will only result in a look of confusion or poorly disguised laughter.
The best part of working for Labor Ready is flexibility. If you don't want to work that day, don't. Of course, you won't be guaranteed a job ticket for the rest of the week, but you'll be able to stay home without losing your 'job'.
The worst part of working for Labor Ready is flexibility. There is no guarantee you will be put to work whether you have gained favoritism or not. As a favored employee, I work 32-40 hours a week. Some jobs are very strenuous and pay only minimum wage, while some are quite easy and pay up to two dollars more per hour!
All in all, Labor Ready is not an ideal place to work unless you have a horrible home life that you seek to escape, coupled with no monetary needs. Branch employee turnover is fairly high, suggesting they too suffer from low wages and minimal benefits. If you are in dire need for any work at all, Labor Ready is there. Just be sure to leave yourself time to fill out applications between
  more... jobs.  less
Rewarding place to work where people returned to share progress after successfully using as a stepping stone
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CASeptember 17, 2013
Productivity, sales, personal and professional growth can occur by utilizing resources and applying yourself.
A typical day at work starts at 5:30 am, letting the line of Temporary Associates in to register for daily work. Dispatching, issuing safety gear, intaking applicants, then going out to do site safety inspections, sales calls for more business. Returning to the office to support staff and allow them to go out for sales, over see Accounts Receivables, conduct staff meetings, enforce safety & reward, comply w/local, state and federal agencies.
I learned accounting, excellent customer service, sales, negotiation of contracts, certified payroll, workers compensation compliance, OSHA & safety regulations; payroll, counselor salesperson, Dept. of Labor I9 everify, and management skills.
My co-workers were diverse, and our team was the most tenured w/the most consistent sales (& growth). My staff and employees were treated w/respect and felt pride in our daily duties.
Hardest part of job was cutting back hours and jobs during economy challenge. Most enjoyable part of job was providing daily work everyday, then sending associates home safe daily, with a paycheck, which for some led to permanent, better paying positions, while I put my son in college.
Pros
regular celebrations of safety milestones, team building give aways and advancement personally & professionally of my team
Cons
when customers did not value safety nor temporary associates and they were hurt on the job
Overall it was a rather interesting and lively work environment.
On-site Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIOctober 7, 2013
A typical day at work was to be at the job site by 4am. I had to check in my workers and have them to report to whatever line they were assigned to. Typically around 12-30 workers. I was entrusted to make sure the workers had on the appropriate work attire and was not in any violation of company policies. I had to create line sheets for the line supervisors for thier record to keep track of who they had working for them from my company. I was also responsible for faxing important documents to the branch. Lastly, answering calls from the on-site cellular phone to help assist future workers in scheduling them for thier first day of work.

I learned how to manage a large group of people at one time
My customer servive skills and people skills were enhanced.
I learned extensively how to multi-task.
My co- workers were great to work with, it was a very team oriented job. They were always willing to help out when needed.
I would say that the hardest part of the job was just learning to deal with the different issues from the workers. The various personalities and mental conditions of some of the workers. Also the work environment was extremely too cold. lastly the shifts were too long and it begins to ware on you. I would say that the challenge to deal with personalities was also the most enjoyable part of the job as well. Once you have conquered your challenges it becomes a joy to do it.
Pros
payed time off, insurance benefits
Cons
bad work environment, extensive work shifts
Mainly a company for men.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMay 16, 2013
You would report into the office at 5am and sign in indicating you were there and available for work. You would sit there until you were sent out on a job or kicked out of the office around 9 am if you weren't sent out on a job that day. If you had a repeat ticket you would arrive at the office and sign at 5am pick up your ticket and depending on when you were suppose to be at the job site leave. After work ended for the day you reported back to the office to get get paid. Most of the jobs were jobs that required alot of hard physical labor that only men could do. Occasionally they would get jobs women could do like cleaning seats at the Royals baseball stadium or picking up trash at the Chiefs stadium, sometimes a hotel would call and need some extra housekeepers, there would be an occasional eviction women could do, or one time I got sent to go help set up a new store and one time did some landscaping at an apartment complex or go pick up trash at the landfill that wasn't where it was suppose to be. I didn't learn anything from this company. The coworkers were a mixture of people. Some were good workers and courteous to their fellow workers and management but alot were lazy backstabbing people. Management changed frequently. The hardest part of the job was not knowing if you were going to be sent out on a job that day. The variety of possible jobs.
Pros
usually hard work got you sent out on other assignments. variety of jobs.
Cons
most of their jobs were for men, and only a small percentage for women.
Not as simple as it seems
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Westmont, ILNovember 30, 2012
Based on my experience and the few long-time Labor Ready laborers that I have known, I would not reccommend trying to make a living as a Labor Ready laborer.
There is no advancement, and there are no pay raises or benefits.
A responsible worker can get a lot of experience working in a variety of fields, but by and large she will be doing highly physically demanding and sometimes dirty jobs for minimal pay.
Work is not always guaranteed, and it is not unusual to be dispatched for only 16 or 24 hours work in a week. Workers start arriving at the office at 5:30 a.m., and wait for dispatch; jobs may start as early as 6, but sometimes are at 9 or 10 a.m., in which case the four hours waiting in the office is unpaid.
Workers are dispatched with a work ticket, and report to the customer at the assigned location. Jobs could range from digging trenches for eight hours to setting up a stage for a convention to stripping upholstery to unloading a truck to snow removal to shipping/recieving to a myriad others. Unfortunately, it is almost always for minimum wage with no benefits or compensation for travel or equiptment.
If it were better compensated, this would be a good job for someone who likes meeting a lot of people and seeing a lot of unusual places. I have gotten an up-close look at a lot of industries and trades work. When demand for laborers is high, it is easy to stay active and occupied.
Pros
variety of work
Cons
horrible pay relative to effort, no benefits, unsteady work, lots of unpaid hours
I love working for Upstate Cerebral Palsy
Temp maintenance crew etc. (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYFebruary 7, 2014
My typical day at work is being picked u from Ucp site, assist with anything local concerning moving, loading or unloading trucks getting supplies for the day's assignment before leaving town. Go to assigned site for the day, set-up for job, and it is to be completed within deadline unless an emergency comes up and we have to go to another site.
I learned to be patient, I learned how to paint on a professional level without necessarily using tape.I learned that our job was important because it freed the regular ucp workers to do more important tasks that were assigne to them to do at the site, so that all work at one site be completed and up to date.

My co workers were down to earth,proffessional, good teachers and made the job a place to be. They were also family men, they had children of their own and they took their job and position very seriously. We enjoyed being around eachother.

The hardest part fo the job is the demand and being on-call, which meant that we had to go to another site while leaving another assignment incomplete for the moment. we may not get to complete on time due to more than one emergency that may come up daily.
T
he most enjoyable part of the job is the traveling, while going to each site, the scenery is beautiful, it gives you time to rest before going to the next site. The people you would meet, and also the clients knowing they have this disease it make me feel important. We're basically doing it for them.
Could save your financial life in a pinch!
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJanuary 7, 2016
My time with Labor Ready was at the precise time I needed it. I was out of the job, didn't have much experience in the laboring fields and needed to build my resume with various different skills. Labor Ready was right there for me, and was quick to get me out there and working. The exposure to various companies gave me an opportunity to get a feel for various fields like warehousing, construction, cleaning, light demolition and moving. It also provided me with the opportunity to decide when I wanted to work (They text or call you and you have the opportunity to say yes or no).

That being said, if you say no all the time, you'll be less likely to get more work in the future. Labor Ready has a reputation to consider, so if you decide to flake out on them, they will provide the best opportunities to their most loyal and dedicated workers.

I recommend this place to anyone who needs to build some experiences, would enjoy getting paid daily, and who is willing to go the extra mile to seek permanent employment at any of the respective companies outsourcing their work needs to Labor Ready.
Pros
Vastly variable experience opportunities, make your own schedule, easy to find new work by simply impressing the company they send you to, bypass all that pesky application process, hard workers will always find work
Cons
At times pay is low, hours can be inconsistent or long, some slow downs leave flakey and average workers without work
Don't fall for it.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Midsize southeast US marketJanuary 7, 2014
Hours and work demand are misrepresented by all management. You won't just be working alone at night with felons but most of them are sex offenders too. And plan on staying late EVERY SINGLE DAY-often even 4 hours late at least 1-5X a month. Unless you're ok alone with big mean scary violent types with documented histories of sexual and physical violence-don't fall for the hype! None of that "positive atmosphere" stuff actually happens. Worked in a small market for 6 weeks, left after dark every day-one light outside. TA's are allowed to return and work no matter their history with CSRs (ie threats, rudeness, intoxication at office, attempted murder of other workers! etc.) They get a slap on the wrist and come back a month later. Unless theyre in jail or have failed a drug screen (which are almost never run unless requested by customer) they are sent to work. And the work atmosphere is very unrewarding. Everything is all negativity-all the time. The workers are negative, the co-employees are negative, the management at higher level is negative. The only people who ever sound happy are the customers and you almost never get to really interact with them. Managers do that. It was the most depressing place I've ever worked.
Pros
employee lunches couple times a month.
Cons
hours, violent rude associates, little actual customer contact (manager does all that.) late work hours. unsafe conditions.
Labor Ready has been a great company to work for but only focuses on the labor aspect of the job field i'm looking for advancement and perm position.
Laborer (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSFebruary 17, 2015
Typical day working with labor ready is basically the same thing everyday. I learned a lot but there is no advancement to the next level on the jobs that you are assigned. Certification needed to advance to better wages and the since of caring about the employee and their families hard work is not rewarded. Long hours and stability on the job and the company push for permanent employment is practically non-existed on the company side of the house. and the wages made by the employee should be more than minimum wage. Also the use of personnel with criminal and drug background loses the employee respectability on the job sites. But as far as jobs that available on the daily bases is a plus. The staff of labor ready needs improvement as far as on time payments and informing the employee of job duties when sent out on a ticket, employee needs more information. I like their new text a job info that used by the company is a plus. Wages are too low with labor ready for certain tickets your sent out on. looking for office work and more skilled labor from a company of this magnitude.
Pros
frequency of labor and equipment used for job readyness
Cons
on time payments/ wages /
money driven
Recruiting Coordinator & Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 29, 2016
Toooo many changes in toooo little time. Not a great environment for professionals with an eye on growth. Employees just like the workers are just a number.
• Maintained dispatch of employees by updating job requirements, contacts, and job descriptions on a demand basis.
• Recruited prospective customers, associates and community partners.
• Matched associates utilizing “Right Match Dispatch” to fulfill customer needs for specific assignments.
• Conducted orientations, training programs, processed applications of associates, customers and community partners.
• Executed on the job training sessions by use of computer software and process knowledge for new branch staff.
• Communicated efficiently face to face, over the phone, and in writing to customers and associates.
• Performed daily payroll operations, scanned correspondence & processed accurate and timely reporting to branch staff.
• Coordinated with Market Manager & Branch Manager; processed timesheets & customers’ quotes.
• Accepted payments, prepared and delivered quotes to customers and monitored branch budget and spending.
• Conducted internal audits by reviewing and/ or updating files in accordance with E-Verify & First Advantage guidelines.
Federal Employee Program
People oriented, placed people in jobs, serves a purpose in today's job market
Customer Service Representative/Sales (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEMay 24, 2012
I opened the facility and turned the systems on and the alarm off.
Placed people in jobs according to Best Practices. I was in charge of Dispatching the workers to the job with proper equipment and made sure all that applied went through the proper authorization protocols. I was a Tescor Administrator who job it was to help people qualify for employment. I did some outbound calling and collection work and was responsible for the branch when the Branch Manager was off the premises and took care of the cleaning and security issues. It was my responsibility to relay the worker incident reports to the proper authorities and made sure the workers saw the right people in a timely manner if injuired on the job. Took on line OSHA course and True Blue procedure course. Also, at times, I did the pay out and closed the facility. Learned alot about safety, human nature and about people who may need help in desperate situations. The hardest part of the job was trying to match everyone with a job for day or week and the early morning hours. The most enjoyable was meeting and helping people and getting them employment and leaving work at 1:30 pm every day!
Customer Service Rep
CSR (Former Employee) –  Nashville AreaAugust 27, 2013
I was hired in for this job thinking I could help people, I was given only one week training, which was all on the computer and thrown out there to sink or swim. It was a nightmare> I went home a nervous wreck every day. I personally do not see how my co-workers have stayed as long as they have, the phones ring constantly, and they want you to answer them first instead of seeing to who is in front of you (not my idea of how I was trained for customer service), it is usually a temp worker just complaining about something. Why do they have a message center if they cant use it?? Has no one ever heard of voice mail, literally you cant get anything done for all the lines ringing constantly. There aren't enough people and the manager is never there. No work/life balance. If your on call, you get no life, no sleep for all the calls and having to come back to the office to find workers for clients. If you like a high stress, low paying job with no time for yourself then this is the job for you, otherwise, please keep looking...... This would be a Great Company to work for if they would just get organized, the company itself has some great benefits.
Pros
co workers were nice
Cons
no breaks, sometimes worked through lunch while off the clock, manager was hardly ever there, no training
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Day laborer (Former Employee) –  Dover, NHSeptember 18, 2013
Labor Ready is a reliable last, last, last, last option for those willing to work yet unable to find any. You will be paid the lowest $$ allowed, sometimes for trade Jobs that would pay 10x more if you were contracting them. Most of the work is dirty, back breaking and you'll be doing it for people who have no consideration for your health or well being, alongside people with the same attitude. Labor Ready makes a big deal about safety for good good reason, because thier customers and many of the expendable ding dongs you'll be working with do not. I've nearly been killed once or twice and comped out once with a neck injury. However like I said in the begining, Labor Ready is always there and becuase they are a somewhat dependable, expendable labor rescource, companies use them. Some companies have jobs which are either to physical or dangerous to put thier permanent employees into, then steps in you and Labor Ready. If you have a strong back, vehicle and ability to get up at 5am and sit in the office begging for a minimum wage job for the day Labor Ready is your place. Just be carefull, you're only as expendable as you allow yourself to be.
Pros
paid same day.
Cons
it may kill you and if not at least ruin your back for the day.
A workplace where many work skills would be beneficial
Temporary Laborer (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTOctober 4, 2013
A typical day at Labor Ready started at 5:00am. At which time I would sign in and wait to be called for a job assignment. Some days you would be assigned and others you would not. Once they got to know you better the more times you would be assigned.

I learned that if you showed up every day, showed them you were willing and able to go out to work and gave each assignment your best effort, you would be one of the first to be given work assignments.

I found management to be courteous and professional. Even when they did not have any work. Sometimes they would go out of their way to get you to and from a work assignment. Either taking you themselves or arranging a ride for you.

Most co-workers were hard working individuals and team players. For those who were not as hard working, they were good people and you didn't mind picking up the slack for them.

The hardest part of the job for me was the waiting. There could be several days between assignments. Therefore, I had to learn to be patience. Not to feel I was wasting my time. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to learn a lot of different things.
Pros
able to learn a broad range skills
Cons
no health care
A last resort to support myself
Temporary Laborer (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTDecember 20, 2013
Being at the office at 5:30 AM gave you the upper hand in getting a job that day, which was usually about a 60/40 chance, and you would usually work 9-10 hour shifts, so work/life balance could be better. The only benefit Labor Ready offered was Workers Comp. to pay for any injuries. I was frequently dispatched to job sites all over Salt Lake County and beyond, and was never compensated for the gas I used to get there. There would be days I'd make maybe 10-20 dollars after replacing the gas I used. There was NO opportunity for advancement whatsoever. NO opportunity for a management position, and I am unfamiliar with the term "Job Culture." There was never a job that paid more than $8/hr. Most of the people who worked there were homeless people looking for liquor money. Like I said, Labor Ready is my last resort to support myself. Nothing More.
Pros
getting paid every day
Cons
excessive gasoline use due to ever-changing job sites, having to give rides to people who smelled undesirable, waking up at 4:30 am to be to work on time, and falling asleep soon after arriving home due to exhaustion, they treat you like you really are only after drug or liquor money.
Generally Good place to work for
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 15, 2014
Labor ready was a temp agency that came into Campbellsville to do a remodel on the local Walmart. As a team member I was responsible for cleaning, moving shelving units with the group, setting modulars for the store and being on time. The members of my management through labor ready were pleasant to work with and while they expected hard work and efficiency in accomplishing the tasks at hand they did not expect individuals to do work that was outside their physical or mental capabilities and made it a point to assign work groups according to individual abilities. My co-workers were awesome individuals with unique personalities whom I would gladly work with again if the opportunity ever arose. The hardest part of the job was applying the mover wheels to the shelving units as each wheel was surprisingly heavy and awkward to maneuver. The most enjoyable part of the job was undoubtedly the individuals with whom I worked with for the duration of the job experience.
Pros
they put you to work but took your abilities into consideration when delegating tasks.
Cons
the job was only 3 months long. aka a temporary job.
Laborer
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 5, 2013
Installed rock gardens, ponds, decks, drainage systems, irrigation systems, retaining walls, fences, planters, and playground equipment.
Maintained and repaired tools, equipment, and structures such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, and benches, using hand and power tools. Provided proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, burial sites, and other grounds features.
Cared for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing and removing thatch, and trimming and edging around flower beds, walks, and walls. Set up and take down of stadium lighting, tables and chairs. Assisted in setting up the sound stage for concerts. Collected tickets for the events. Maintained security. Manufactured plastics materials, synthetic resins and synthetic rubber. Went out on different projects for multiple companies. Separated scrap metals.

I learned to have more patients and labor skills. I worked with a diverse group of individuals every time. The hardest part of the job was digging trenches in the heat. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a wide range of different jobs.
Pros
paid daily
Cons
paid daily