Lafarge North America Employee Reviews

Very stressful and abusive environment
Area Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAAugust 10, 2017
Employees great. Most management good. My supervisor was was verbally abusive verbally and made me do the work of two men, not allowing me off at decent time to spend time with family
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Little time for family. Abusive environment
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYAugust 7, 2017
Nice place to work, repetitive job duties, good people. Consistent hours, usually same schedule. Plenty of work up until winter months, then laid off until spring.
Pros
Consistent hours
OK if you don't mind top heavy management expectations
Production Control Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAApril 26, 2017
Prior to the merger, it was a fun and enjoyable place to work. Morale was good. Ever since the merger over a year ago, the culture has dramatically changed. Management expections are at times unobtainable. They're big on accountability; if the hourly employees don't complete what's expected, the supervisors are held accountable; no questions asked. Be careful what you hope for.

Learned a lot about the cement industry.
Pros
Stable work
Cons
Large deductible on medical, no more pension, minimal 401K
Excellent company to work for
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 27, 2017
Typical day at work was great with an opportunity to learn various equipment operations. Management team was very understanding and understood each problem in the work field. This made things comfortable and to help you strive in the company. The hardest part of the job is the amount of overtime that the company has you putting in. the most enjoyable part was the good and close trustable coworkers in the environment.
Pros
Free food on special event holdings
Good Place to Work
Journeyman Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 27, 2017
LaFarge was bought out by another company, but it was after my employment there. While there, it was a good place to work with good hours and benefits and i enjoyed working there.
Good
Operator (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIJanuary 9, 2017
It was a great place to work. There weren't many other employees. It was a good place to learn and grow. A nice place to work.
Pros
Good Start
Cons
Low pay
Changing Company
Pension Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 4, 2017
Working here has been typically fair. As with any position or company it is what you make it to be. I believe attitude will carry me through any job I have.
Place is constantly changing and with market demands
E&I Technician (Current Employee) –  Joppa, ILDecember 3, 2016
Was a good place to work till merger and downsizing cost lot of people there jobs. They do believe in safety culture. The company does what ever it needs to do to be compete in the market.
Pros
competive pay
Cons
not much room to grow
LaFarge Cement Company
Clerk/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 30, 2016
I enjoyed working for LaFarge. This was basically the same job I had with Suwannee American and with Blue Circle. Lots of customer contact, billing, processing reports, etc. My direct supervisor was a woman I grew up with. We were next door neighbors when we were teenagers. We laugh at the same things and she remains my best friend for more than 50 years.
Pros
Wonderful work environment. Very special people
Cons
This was not a stressful job. The only stress was when a truck was late for delivery, and the customer was on a "pour" that was time critical.
Typically a fast paced job.
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houma, LANovember 27, 2016
I loved working at Lafarge. Great customers and great co-workers. Had a chance to work in the New Orleans office and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Pros
Free lunches many times during the work week.
Cons
no compliants
not a good place to earn a stable income
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Luling, LAJune 8, 2016
Start of days are unpredictable.there are no set start times. I have learned flexability and to have a very high expectation on safety.Management is fair and co-workers are team orientated and professional.the hardest part of the job is rainy days,the most enjoyable part is serving the customers.
Pros
oportunity to meet people
Cons
not enough business to work drivers consistantly
It was an enjoyable internship
Quality Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Paulding, OHApril 9, 2016
The people were very friendly and helped me learn anything I asked about. Great place to work, I would recommend this company to others.
Was a great place for many years, but...
Freight and Customs Coordinator - US (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 21, 2016
I worked here for 13 years total, 1 as a contractor and 12 as an employee. It was a great place to work for many years however the last few years were not so great, as there was constant threat of job loss due to relocation and consolidation of corporate services. Also reduced several benefits over the last few years. Currently they are in process of a merger with Holcim, the new company is called LafargeHolcim.
Pros
Nice Pay, bonus
Cons
Management disconnected from the "common" people, "do more with less" is the unofficial corporate mantra
exceptional work place with new experiences around every corner
Customer Service & Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Sun City, AZDecember 9, 2015
Growing work place with a good amount of difficulties as the business continues to grow. Dedicated workers with a ton of heart behind them. The plant manager showed his care for each and everyone of his employees and was sure that they felt equal.
Pros
Loving and safe work environment with plenty of opportunities to grow
Cons
Sales went down easily, not a lot of advertisment
Productive and Fun workplace
Trucking Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 14, 2015
Great company to work for. Room for growth and always learning opportunities. Company is currently going through a merger with Holcim Cement. There are positives and negatives that come within the merger.
Good company/people to work with/for
Millwright (Former Employee) –  texada islandJuly 21, 2015
liked the job, good environment to work in and always full of new challenges. safety oriented. good company to work for. learned lots of new skills I put towards my new trade.
whould have been a great place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 17, 2015
8 to 10 hr a day 5 days a week
management shoud say thinks thats that are right and blow things up when they know its not the truth. love being there got work with the guys and show them how to build this truck.the time that they gave me, and not have parts in stock .so i had to make them as well in that time fram. and the most was just building trucks
Pros
working with the guys as you know i was a superviser at teauge
Cons
wish they would have put me on full time
Great place work
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Joppa, ILMarch 2, 2015
Very involved with the family members of their co-workers. Many family events to attend. To allow you to get to know the co-workers along with their families on a more personal level. Good management, who are all level headed. All in all great environment.
Challenging job with great benefits
Dispatcher/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 24, 2015
Great place to work. Very nice staff. Everyone pulls their own weight. Needs to be more interoffice connectivity as each department rarely communicated with the other departments.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
better communication
Great people but company is going through growing pains
Human Resources (Generalist) Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 22, 2015
Great network of people in the company. There have been a lot of recent changes at the upper and senior management level due to changes within the organization. I enjoyed working there for the most part but the changes caused a lot of good people to leave due to not wanting to relocate to the Chicago office.