Lafarge North America Employee Reviews

not a good place to earn a stable income
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Luling, LAJune 8, 2016
Start of days are unpredictable.there are no set start times. I have learned flexability and to have a very high expectation on safety.Management is fair and co-workers are team orientated and professional.the hardest part of the job is rainy days,the most enjoyable part is serving the customers.
Pros
oportunity to meet people
Cons
not enough business to work drivers consistantly
It was an enjoyable internship
Quality Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Paulding, OHApril 9, 2016
The people were very friendly and helped me learn anything I asked about. Great place to work, I would recommend this company to others.
Was a great place for many years, but...
Freight and Customs Coordinator - US (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 21, 2016
I worked here for 13 years total, 1 as a contractor and 12 as an employee. It was a great place to work for many years however the last few years were not so great, as there was constant threat of job loss due to relocation and consolidation of corporate services. Also reduced several benefits over the last few years. Currently they are in process of a merger with Holcim, the new company is called LafargeHolcim.
Pros
Nice Pay, bonus
Cons
Management disconnected from the "common" people, "do more with less" is the unofficial corporate mantra
exceptional work place with new experiences around every corner
Customer Service & Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Sun City, AZDecember 9, 2015
Growing work place with a good amount of difficulties as the business continues to grow. Dedicated workers with a ton of heart behind them. The plant manager showed his care for each and everyone of his employees and was sure that they felt equal.
Pros
Loving and safe work environment with plenty of opportunities to grow
Cons
Sales went down easily, not a lot of advertisment
Productive and Fun workplace
Trucking Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 14, 2015
Great company to work for. Room for growth and always learning opportunities. Company is currently going through a merger with Holcim Cement. There are positives and negatives that come within the merger.
Good company/people to work with/for
Millwright (Former Employee) –  texada islandJuly 21, 2015
liked the job, good environment to work in and always full of new challenges. safety oriented. good company to work for. learned lots of new skills I put towards my new trade.
whould have been a great place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 17, 2015
8 to 10 hr a day 5 days a week
management shoud say thinks thats that are right and blow things up when they know its not the truth. love being there got work with the guys and show them how to build this truck.the time that they gave me, and not have parts in stock .so i had to make them as well in that time fram. and the most was just building trucks
Pros
working with the guys as you know i was a superviser at teauge
Cons
wish they would have put me on full time
Great place work
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Joppa, ILMarch 2, 2015
Very involved with the family members of their co-workers. Many family events to attend. To allow you to get to know the co-workers along with their families on a more personal level. Good management, who are all level headed. All in all great environment.
Challenging job with great benefits
Dispatcher/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 24, 2015
Great place to work. Very nice staff. Everyone pulls their own weight. Needs to be more interoffice connectivity as each department rarely communicated with the other departments.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
better communication
Great people but company is going through growing pains
Human Resources (Generalist) Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 22, 2015
Great network of people in the company. There have been a lot of recent changes at the upper and senior management level due to changes within the organization. I enjoyed working there for the most part but the changes caused a lot of good people to leave due to not wanting to relocate to the Chicago office.

Want to know more about Lafarge North America?

Ask a question
Typical Day
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GANovember 4, 2014
I did preventive maintenance daily. I did a lot of trouble shooting on electrical, air and hydraulic systems. I learned a lot of trouble shooting skills on equipment that had never worked on before.
Pros
learned new skills
Cons
not much chance for advancement
Review
Driver/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 6, 2014
I thought the entrepreneur experience was a great one. It gave my
perspective on how hard it is start and run a business without
good people to move your business along.
Instrumentation Electrician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 4, 2014
I did electrical maintenance in entire plant. I operated all sorts of equipment and kept inventory.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
dirty enviroment
barge loading
barge loader (Former Employee) –  Ravena, NYJune 25, 2014
well it was fun working on the river.we worked in groups of 4....when it came to barge loading we had a big responsibility...I would load...I had two guys that would walk around and made sure everything was safe and good...the third guy was my system man...he would make sure I had good feed on my belts and took samples of cement every hr,..
Good Company. Bad Management. H.R. disorganized. plenty of room for improvement.
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Silver Grove, KYJune 11, 2014
Good job. Dirty place. Co-workers concerned about others and their work. Lower management overworked. Upper management unconcerned. I enjoyed working with most people there, especially plant maintenance personnel. The point-sytem employed by staff was extremely unfair and they could care less.
Pros
good benefits, good co-workers.
Cons
management`s indifferent attitude.
Face paced manufacturing environment
Bundler Operator (Current Employee) –  Buchanan, NYJune 2, 2014
Typical day starts with a pre-shift/safety meeting discussing the production for the day ahead of us, then onto the work floor where any quality or maintenance issues are also discussed with the shift being relieved. Each day is something different with the production of various types of drywall. It is a fast paced environment where any hiccup can cause upsets in the production. When upsets do arise, each employee is cross-trained on various jobs limiting the amount off lost product. The hardest part of the day is remaining focused on all issues, most importantly your own safety and the safety of the person next to you. Safety takes priority over anything else. The most enjoyable part of the day is everyone going home the same way they came in.
Pros
good pay, co-workers
Cons
long days, travel, no set schedule
nice coworkers
Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Silver Grove, KYMarch 25, 2014
I liked to drive a forklift and the hours I worked. The coworkers were real nice to work with and very cooperative with others.
Pros
staying busy
Cons
to many bosses
I loved my job at Lafarge
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Carbondale COMarch 1, 2014
I would dispatch RMX trucks every other day. On the opposite days I would take the orders and do the scheduling for the next business day's orders. Everyday was a new day. Always challenging. I worked well with my fellow team-mates. The hardest part of my job was scheduling the trucks for the times that the customers would want especially during the busy season.
Pros
daily new challenges
Cons
lafarge sold out to another company
Estimator/Scheduler
Estimator (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 26, 2014
Work with engineers and project managers on Cement Processing Plants throughout North America.
Pros
starbucks coffer
Cons
long commute
Great workplace
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAFebruary 19, 2014
Work with great people and great pay. Outside and inside work done.
Pros
great pay
Cons
work at all hours of the night