LaGuardia Community College Employee Reviews

Meh
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Long Island-Queens, NYJanuary 29, 2016
If you NEED a job then this is ok. If you want to like where you work, not so much, pay is terrible and there is zero job security.
it was productive environment to work
Clerical Aid (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2016
It was work study for fall semester. I love working there. I have sweet co-workers who helped when I needed help. The management was good as well. The hardest part job was explaining to the students what our office gives them and opportunity to find job. The enjoyable moments is working there with full energy and I was very happy I have worked there in that office.
Pros
good supervisor and co-workers
Cons
explanation, students are being rude
Very good
Peer advisor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 20, 2015
I enjoyed working at LaGuardia Community College while I was also attending the college. I learned how students interact with one another and what they need to accomplish a degree.
Fun place to be
Commercial Photography College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2015
Fun work place to be, it's busy but friendly too. it's where you personally grow and develop, Decent amount of red tape and politics so.
Productive and good fun
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYNovember 28, 2015
This place is very friendly and learn different culture. My manager support my responsbility. I miss this position because I got full time job.
Productive and fun working enviornment
Student Advising Services (SAS) (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYNovember 25, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility and positive coworkers who make the job easier!! The hardest part of the day is staying long hours with a short break. The management isn't too bad and you make your own hours which is great.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Busy day, lots of students
LaGuardia students come from more than 150 different countries
sales (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYNovember 14, 2015
LaGuardia students come from more than 150 different countries, speaking over 125 native languages, yet their determination to create a stronger future for themselves and their families through higher education is the dream they all share.
Long before their college journey even begins however, our students face significant obstacles—financial, academic, personal—that have derailed their goal of earning a degree and pursuing their dreams.
Too Good To Be True?
Writing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYNovember 12, 2015
This review is about a remedial program for adult learners, CUNY Start, where you work in two classrooms with about 25 students each, for 5-6 hours at a time with a 35 min break (sometimes no break if the lead instructor decides to hold a meeting during that time).
Program is advertised as great for students, it even had a segment on WNYC, where it was said that the students have it great because people are there for you 24/7, but what this really means is staff are spread thin, and compensated little for it.
Some days can be very tough and ungrateful, especially because the co-workers can be passive aggressive and aloof on purpose (adults). The pay is hourly, even for the lead instructors. The curriculum is pretty out there and restrictive. You are only allowed to teach in an inquiry based way, which means you are only allowed to ask questions? Which is going to make you sound like this? All the time?
In all seriousness, it is a well-meaning program. Some instructors choose to overdo it on the social justice, even though this is a test prep program. (They will argue with you that it is not actually a test prep program.) Kind of a mind f*ck but it's like life, you can still make something of it. If you are young, idealistic and have a great paying side job, or wealthy spouse, then this is the right place for you.
Pros
Cool Staff Developments, Run By a Central Office in Manhattan
Cons
Short Break, No Benefits until 3 Months In, Passive Aggressive Atmosphere
good environment for work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  information technology AssistantNovember 11, 2015
It is good environment to work. People are very friendly and generous. They are down to earth and willing to help. I have learn a lot from them and I enjoyed work with them.
Pros
best environment for work
Cons
no cons
management
HIgher Education Officer (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYSeptember 27, 2015
Poor leadership, total disregard for senior staff over 45 years old, hires unqualified family members and friends for key leadership roles, unethical and questionable work practices.
Cons
Unhappy staff and poor student service
Great work place
English Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  lic, nySeptember 20, 2015
This was a wonderful place the work. The manager and director were great as was the staff. The pay was not the best given worker qualifications, but the job was really easy. I would recommend this job to college students; really flexible schedule.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
poor pay
Productive workplace with great co-workers and supervisor
Human Resources Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, New YorkSeptember 7, 2015
Great office team and a fun and happy place to work. A family friendly environment with great motivation to do your best. Supervisor was flexible and easy to go to. Everyone was always willing to help each other reach timeline for deadlines.
Pros
Wonderful people to work with and very flexable
ASAP is Beautiful
Office assistant /Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYSeptember 3, 2015
Family oriented environment in LAGCC. Allow you to get in tune with the inner boss self. its really great! I loved it. A typical day at work was full of filing tons of papers and answering phones. My managers made work enjoyable and easy going while the workers were under going such tedious work.
Pros
lead, facilitate
Cons
Productive and very quiet.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYAugust 28, 2015
A typical day at work would be signing students in and out of the library. I didn't learn to much about the management. My co-workers were very welcoming and very polite. My co-workers and the students made me love my job. There wasn't anything hard about this job at all. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with the students and helping them out
Great environment and Coworkers
College ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  library, media dept.August 12, 2015
Students that work at LAGCC truly have the advantage of having flexible hours. They work with you to find the best hours that'll fit with your class schedule. They always remind you that school comes first and that I believe many jobs don't care for.
Much interest to learn Spanish that must stop after two beginner courses
Adjunct Lecturer & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJuly 25, 2015
It was exciting the amount of students interested in learning Spanish, but too few courses to teach to fill college requirements.
Pros
Opportunity to being in touch with language and culture through the teaching of Spanish.
Cons
Students required to take no more than two beginner Spanish courses to meet requirements.
a great learning place
Computer Support / Desktop Specialist (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJune 20, 2015
It was work and learning place for me. It was great satisfaction to help my fellow students. It was a great place to work. Thank you
Great working place
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJune 16, 2015
Helped students with any issues they had with computer problems which was in my field. I enjoyed working there, but its only lasted for a year
productive and fun work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  La Guardia Community CollegeJune 9, 2015
A typical day would be 9-5 and we would be in the front attending calls and walk-ins. We also had to do print jobs and data entry. This was my first experience in a real working environment, and i learn how to answer phone calls and how to return calls. I also learn how to do a little bit of data entry and i learn how to file. the management was pretty good, the two people who were in charge of giving us our duties did a good job and were always there for support. My co-workers were really nice ladies, they were always there to help me when i need help and we got along pretty well. The hardest part of my job would be dealing with customers that were really rude and obnoxious, but i believe everyone has dealt with them while working. the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with my co-workers and helping some one fill out an application they weren't to sure how to fill out. Being able to help someone.
Fun Workplace
Vice President Office-, Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJune 7, 2015
My typical day at work involve Greeting visitors from diverse cultural backgrounds.
• Distribute office supplies
• Process incoming mail
• Distribute correspondence and other materials within office
My co-workers are very pleasant and fun to work with. The most enjoying part of the job is something I had the permission to do my school work. which is great and in my advantage.

4.3