Physician-led Lahey Clinic provides primary and tertiary care to residents of northeastern Massachusetts. Lahey Clinic operates the Lahey Clinic Medical Center in Burlington, which has about 320 beds and is a teaching hospital for Tufts University School of Medicine. It also operates Lahey Clinic North Shore, a 10-bed community hospital with extensive outpatient operations. The nonprofit organization also operates several community-based primary care practices. Lahey administers a range of health care services including cancer treatment, heart care, family medicine, and organ transplantation. Lahey Clinic merged with Northeast Health System in 2012 to form Lahey Health System.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Under terms of the agreement, in which no money changed hands, the two organizations created a not-for-profit umbrella firm called Lahey Health System. Lahey Health System has about 675 beds and more than 1,100 doctors.
The new Lahey Health System forms a network of care that includes four hospitals: Lahey Clinic, Beverly Hospital, Addison Gilbert Hospital, and BayRidge Hospital, as well as nursing and assisted living homes. Other health care services include outpatient surgery and rehabilitation centers. The new Lahey Health System is led by Howard Grant, MD, Lahey Clinic's president and CEO.
Lahey Clinic has almost 450 physicians and more than 4,000 nurses and serves more than 3,000 patients a day. As a teaching hospital for Tufts University School of Medicine, Lahey maintains residency and fellowship programs for more than 130 new physicians in multiple subspecialties. It also has relationships with other medical schools at area universities, including Harvard and Boston University.
As part of its research capabilities, Lahey offers patients access to clinical trials of new therapies for diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and cataracts. Research programs at Lahey Clinic encompass more than 200 clinical trial protocols and participation in numerous national and international studies.
The company was founded in 1923 by Dr. Frank Lahey. – less