Lake Land College Employee Reviews

Great place to work, however with questionable financial future due to state budget impasse
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILFebruary 13, 2017
I loved working at Lake Land College. The people there are warm, caring and patient. The benefits, if you can get any today, are very good but they are currently curtailing most full-time positions to part-time to avoid any benefits package. If you want to work there, be sure of the future prospects for a better position if you intend to make a career there.
Pros
Great benefits, clean work spaces, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Cutting full-time positions to part-time only with low pay and no benefits.
Really positive work environment.
Lab Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJanuary 10, 2017
This job on most days was awesome. No stress. I helped students with their programming homework in and out of the classroom. I would also watch the 3d printers in the lab and made sure they didn't overheat. I learned to have better patience with people, explain and communicate better with others. The management was just my instructors/professors watch me while i helped in there classes. My co-workers were other lab assistants and we got along swell. We would help each other if we were stumped while helping a student. There wasn't really a hard part to the job. The thing I loved the most about this job was the students I met and helped.
Pros
flexible work hours, great internship opportunity
Cons
limited hours a week you could work
Enjoyed
Job Preparedness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dwight, ILDecember 1, 2016
I enjoyed my position working in the correctional system for Lake Land. Staff and Dean were easy to work with and eager to offer support.
excellent team environment
Adult Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJune 3, 2016
Working at Workforce Development Center for Lake Land College has been a rewarding and enriching experience. The supervisor and colleagues that I have worked with have been fantastic. Unfortunately, the position that I have is grant funded and due to budget issues in the state of Illinois the job is not very stable.
Pros
Excellent work environment and support from colleagues
Cons
Uncertain future.
High student interaction
Financial Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILFebruary 1, 2016
My job works almost exclusively with students. You can't stay in this position if you aren't able to handle customer service.
Pros
Shortened Summer work week, okay vacation packet, paid holidays, good sick leave
Cons
IL budget makes job security iffy, quality of boss depends upon department
Great benefits and work environment, with very friendly employees
Child Care Lab Director (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJanuary 3, 2014
Lake Land College was a steady and stable place to work. It came with wonderful benefits and compensation. Salaries are competitive. There are many very friendly and cooperative employees and faculty members who have the willingness to align their daily work habits with the Lake Land College core vision and values. In the workplace their is a positive desire for student success and developing partnerships with community organizations.
Pros
Fridays off in the summer
Cons
Administrative leaders who are disconnected to the workforce.
Fantastic culture, people, responsibilities, schedule
Counseling Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJuly 25, 2015
Wonderful staff to work with and learned so much from this job. Management really cared about their employees and they cared about each person. Loved the interaction with the people, phone and staff and was able to perform duties with excellence. Learned I loved the college/university atmorsphere and worked hard to impress my superiors. Learned that I fit in well with the learning environment and excelled with the duties I was expected to fulfill. It was a great confidence booster and I was able to do more than ever expected. This did not feel like a "job" and I looked forward everyday to going to work. I usually went early and stayed late just to help in whatever ways I could.
Pros
Wonderful staff, management, atmosphere, responsibilities
Cons
Wages were low and needed more to support a family
Hard to advance
Admin Assist (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILAugust 4, 2015
Advancement is not dependent on experience but rather the degree listed. Benefits are really good; Friday's off in the Summer, around 2 weeks off at Christmas time. It's just very difficult to advance and the hourly rate isn't the best.
Financial Aid Outreach Specialist
Financial Aid Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILOctober 10, 2014
A typical day at work consists of helping students with their FAFSA and the required documentation. I am also in charge of record maintenance. If any of the other supervisors need help with their job duties I also assist them.
Pros
Knowing that you have helped someone achieve their goal of a college education.
Cons
No, benefits, no chance for advancement.
A great learning oportunity.
Teachers Aid (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ILFebruary 25, 2016
Sometimes working with difficult personalities was a big challenge that I got better at with time. I solved a lot of difficult problems that bigger garages just wouldn't have the time for. I learned to manage small groups of students demonstrating various repairs and troubleshooting technics.
Amazing working environment with great co-workers.
Admissions and Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILFebruary 1, 2016
This is currently a part time position that provided me with great costumer service practice. While working for Lake Land I would spend my day traveling to different college fairs, recruiting high school students to attend the college.
Lake Land College
PART-TIME LIBRARY ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILFebruary 20, 2016
Lake Land College is a great place to work. This school, too, is experiencing budget issues to the state's ongoing budget impasse. This institution does not pay as well as some other community colleges in the area.
A friendly environment away from the city
Graphic Design Intern (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJuly 3, 2013
I would come into work and not expect it too be busy in parking. At the Communications and Creative Services department, the staff are nice and hardworking. Besides the hectic work load, I enjoy my job as a graphic designer intern.

Since I work from 8am to 5pm, I get 2 breaks. I can either eat out or take a walk around the campus and meet employees and colleagues.

If I get bored, I will have lunch outside campus and head to town.
benefits
Cons
no health/ medical insurance if you are a part time, No food options besides subway, and accounting office is cocky
Lake Land College is an excellent place to work.
Child Care Lab Director (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILOctober 24, 2013
Lake Land College has an overall vision of educating minds, changing lives, through the power of learning. This is accomplished by emulating the following core values into the daily work habits, caring, communication, teamship, innovation and excellece.
Pros
Excellent benefits, Fridays off during the summer, creative work environment, flexibility and employee support.
Cons
The Administrators can be disconnected from the non-faculty workforce.
An Excellent Academic Working Environment
Adjunct Humanities and Reading Faculty (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJanuary 21, 2015
As an instructor, individuals are motivated and supported by the administration to conduct their labors in the most efficient and student centered manner. Though pay and course availability are important issues, as a professor at LLC, many freedoms are afforded in terms of curriculum, course management, and design. Therefore, LLC is a great place to teach for the motivated innovator!
Life learning skills that helps you get ready for the real thing
Student (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILMarch 31, 2014
I have learnt a lot through Lake Land College. I learnt self discipline skills, self motivation skills, and time management skills. I have never work as hard in any other job than I have at Lake Land College. The achievements and the self esteem boost are far worth it. Now that I have managed to push myself through it I get the satisfaction in helping others.
Pros
Skills in helping others and great instructors
Cons
Long nights and sleep deprivation
Stressful place to work
Construction Instructor (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILApril 15, 2014
It was in a prison setting your teaching abilities were limited per security reasons. I learned about prison life and security measures that are necessary in controlling the inmates. The hardest part of the job was that you always had to be aware of your surroundings and keeping a watchful eye on your students because they were inmates and you could not trust them.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
your students were inmates
The Truth
Special Projects (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILApril 29, 2014
The culture at Lake Land is very rewarding. The desire for success of the students coupled with the value placed on employees (staff/admin/faculty) create a very enjoyable work environment and yet, there is still room to challenge each other to excel and continue with professional development.
Adjunct English teacher
Adjunct English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJune 25, 2015
This was an adjunct possession, teaching English Composition in the classroom and online. Since I was not on campus every day, I did not have a lot of interaction with coworkers or management.
accounting intern
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILDecember 9, 2013
• Accounts payable for all sales and service activities at the college
• Accounts receivable on student accounts
• Supervised payment of Foundation gifts to the appropriate scholarship fund
• Conducted financial analysis of the grants and verified that every expenditure was in compliance with the intent the grant award
• Served as first point of contact for financial aid recipients seeking refunds; reviewed paperwork and verified refunds were accurate
• Preparing journal entries and match bank reconciliations prepared by the Comptroller to the journal entries.
• Sourced documentation for the annual external audit; built expertise in identifying appropriate receipts to support the documentation request

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lake Land College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5