Lake Michigan Credit Union Employee Reviews

Management was terrible
Teller (Former Employee) –  BranchJanuary 15, 2018
They are too subjective about what they deem professional enough, if you don't fit their valley girl mold then you won't advance in this company. They have no respect for those going to school, even though they knew that when they hired you. Management is terrible, that is the reason I quit.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Pretty much everything else
On the decline
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 7, 2017
LMCU has changed drastically in the last 6mos. And I don’t believe for the better. Unless you work in the Grand Rapids area , there is no way to advance your career. New management that was brought in changed things, and lost sight of the LMCU culture that they so strongly preach. It’s a shame, really used to love it there until recently.
Pros
Reasonable working hours
Cons
Health benefits were nothing spectacular. No opportunity for career growth unless in GR
poor management
Head teller, Member Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Traverse CityOctober 5, 2017
new manager came in to clean house even thought the branch was meeting or exceeding goals and expectations. He wanted his people and his way. Surprised that LMCU allowed this but they did.
Loved the company until just this week
Loan specialist
Loan Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 28, 2017
I really loved working at the credit union. Advancement was pretty guaranteed if you were willing to do the work and take initiative. Only reason i left was because my daughter was having medical issues and I wasn't able to do party time in my department.
Great Team Environment
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 10, 2017
LMCU has undergone some changes recently but have actively made every effort to have a smooth transition. I thought that the opportunity for advancement was fair as long as you were willing to put in the work. If you were a loyal employee the company was very loyal to you. They offer many "culture" based programs for employees to boost morale and promote a happy work environment. I did not find very many downsides to working with them.
Pros
Company Morale, employee benefits/incentives, great co workers
Cons
Rapid changes
Fun place to work
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake Michigan, MISeptember 4, 2017
Everyone was nice and friendly to work with. Great environment to work in. Why am i having to write a review on a job i held years ago? this has wasted time.
Good Environment
Call Center Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Lake, MIAugust 8, 2017
LMCU is a good environment to work, have learned a lot of about everyday processes for banking and CU processes. Working at LMCU has helped me better my leadership qualities.
Great environment for learning new things
Mortgage Loan Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIApril 26, 2017
It was a good company to work for. Fast pace environment and my work always kept me busy. Atypical day would be working 8 am to 5 and sometimes taking work home. It was a very busy job.
Great Place to Work
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIFebruary 27, 2017
This company allowed me to start my career on the right foot. With great management and leaders I was able to grow my passion for recruiting while gaining many skills I will need in my future.
Great Company to work for
Fraud Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 8, 2017
LMCU is a great company to work for who care about their employees. Atmosphere is great, employees feel appreciated and they are always willing to help advance your knowledge.
Excellant Organization
Member Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 25, 2017
LMCU is an excellent organization. Some have commented that it is a difficult organization to advance. This is true if you do the bear minimum and do not exhibit any passion toward the member then you will find it very difficult to succeed. If you work had for the member, think creatively and uniquely while staying within legal, ethical, and organizational guidelines you can succeed and do well
Great members
Leasing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIDecember 11, 2016
Lake Michigan Credit Union has become such a large company they seem to have forgotten about the employees. Some of the branch managers work right along with the bank employees when needed. The coworkers are great. It is nice to work with the members and get to know them. If you work in a branch the members come to trust you with their money and appreciate that you have taken the time to care.
Amazing culture
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIDecember 6, 2016
This company has an amazing culture. They truly care about the member. There is a lot of room to advance in the company if you take the lead. If you ask for the training you will get it.
Great Place To Work
Teller (Current Employee) –  Cascade, MIOctober 27, 2016
LMCU is by far the best place I have worked. The people you get to work with become family. They treat their employees great, and you can easily move up within the company. I highly recommend you work here if you are able, it is a very highly respected company.
The best company I have ever worked for.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIJuly 10, 2016
The people, the culture, our member base were all top notch. This company challenged me, supported me and invigorated me. As part of a quickly growing company, the opportunity for advancement was very relevant and achievable.
Motivational and positive
Teller (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 23, 2016
LMCU provides numerous opportunities to be rewarded and acknowledged for hard work and commitment. As tellers, we are recognized as the face of the credit union therefore, we are responsible to excel in service and represent a personable and professional image. Each day, we are required to work collaboratively as a team to meet branch retail goals that can be difficult to accomplish. Yet, the work environment is motivating and all of those who I work with are effective in clear communication.
Great company culture
Bilingual Teller II (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 18, 2016
Learned all about teller transactions and customer service. Very supportive team. Excellent opportunities for advancement and training.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, supportive team, training
Cons
Stressful days of long lines of customers
Great place to work at with great culture
Teller (Current Employee) –  Lake, MIApril 21, 2016
All managers are willing to help and advance your career. They work around your schedule and help us succeed in the work place. LMCU is very team oriented, and whenever I have a question regarding members queries, they are all willing to help. They provide incentives and benefits for part-time and full-time workers. Overall a great place to work at!
Pros
Very accommodating for students
Amazing company
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIApril 3, 2016
Amazing company to work for. I have no complaints at all. Great environment. Amazing, caring employees. They care about their employees and members a lot.
Good advancement opportunities, but very politically-oriented company.
Consumer Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 11, 2015
I enjoyed most of my time working for LMCU, however, the management is questionable. The company is run by politics - it's all about who you know. The pay is less than other financial institutions, but the job is more enjoyable. The products are awesome so it doesn't feel like a "sales" job even though being able to cross-sell products is required. The people that work at LMCU are great - I made a lot of friends working there. They also do a lot to try to make the culture better, but it still needs a lot of work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lake Michigan Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.