Lake Michigan Credit Union Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIFebruary 27, 2017
This company allowed me to start my career on the right foot. With great management and leaders I was able to grow my passion for recruiting while gaining many skills I will need in my future.
Great Company to work for
Fraud Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 8, 2017
LMCU is a great company to work for who care about their employees. Atmosphere is great, employees feel appreciated and they are always willing to help advance your knowledge.
Excellant Organization
Member Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 25, 2017
LMCU is an excellent organization. Some have commented that it is a difficult organization to advance. This is true if you do the bear minimum and do not exhibit any passion toward the member then you will find it very difficult to succeed. If you work had for the member, think creatively and uniquely while staying within legal, ethical, and organizational guidelines you can succeed and do well
Great members
Leasing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIDecember 11, 2016
Lake Michigan Credit Union has become such a large company they seem to have forgotten about the employees. Some of the branch managers work right along with the bank employees when needed. The coworkers are great. It is nice to work with the members and get to know them. If you work in a branch the members come to trust you with their money and appreciate that you have taken the time to care.
Amazing culture
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIDecember 6, 2016
This company has an amazing culture. They truly care about the member. There is a lot of room to advance in the company if you take the lead. If you ask for the training you will get it.
Great Place To Work
Teller (Current Employee) –  Cascade, MIOctober 27, 2016
LMCU is by far the best place I have worked. The people you get to work with become family. They treat their employees great, and you can easily move up within the company. I highly recommend you work here if you are able, it is a very highly respected company.
The best company I have ever worked for.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIJuly 10, 2016
The people, the culture, our member base were all top notch. This company challenged me, supported me and invigorated me. As part of a quickly growing company, the opportunity for advancement was very relevant and achievable.
Motivational and positive
Teller (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 23, 2016
LMCU provides numerous opportunities to be rewarded and acknowledged for hard work and commitment. As tellers, we are recognized as the face of the credit union therefore, we are responsible to excel in service and represent a personable and professional image. Each day, we are required to work collaboratively as a team to meet branch retail goals that can be difficult to accomplish. Yet, the work environment is motivating and all of those who I work with are effective in clear communication.
Great company culture
Bilingual Teller II (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 18, 2016
Learned all about teller transactions and customer service. Very supportive team. Excellent opportunities for advancement and training.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, supportive team, training
Cons
Stressful days of long lines of customers
Great place to work at with great culture
Teller (Current Employee) –  Lake, MIApril 21, 2016
All managers are willing to help and advance your career. They work around your schedule and help us succeed in the work place. LMCU is very team oriented, and whenever I have a question regarding members queries, they are all willing to help. They provide incentives and benefits for part-time and full-time workers. Overall a great place to work at!
Pros
Very accommodating for students
Amazing company
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIApril 3, 2016
Amazing company to work for. I have no complaints at all. Great environment. Amazing, caring employees. They care about their employees and members a lot.
Good advancement opportunities, but very politically-oriented company.
Consumer Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 11, 2015
I enjoyed most of my time working for LMCU, however, the management is questionable. The company is run by politics - it's all about who you know. The pay is less than other financial institutions, but the job is more enjoyable. The products are awesome so it doesn't feel like a "sales" job even though being able to cross-sell products is required. The people that work at LMCU are great - I made a lot of friends working there. They also do a lot to try to make the culture better, but it still needs a lot of work.
Teller II
Teller (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 27, 2015
No growth in the Traverse city area. Not enough staff. To many people acting as boss and not a lot of communication. Management was poor.
Pros
pay
Cons
no advancement, no communication
Enthusiastic and member oriented work environment
Teller Two (Current Employee) –  Lake, MINovember 7, 2015
Constantly greeting and assisting members in financial and personal transactions, or directing them to a coworker who can assist them. Continuously being productive and working on something, whether that be helping members, personal assignments, or branch oriented projects.
Kalamazoo Branches
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MiOctober 7, 2015
This is a great place to work if you are in the Grand Rapids area. The Kalamazoo branches are not run efficiently or with any kind of structure.
Stable business
Community Relations and Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 18, 2015
HIgh savings rate. Low loan rates. Growing business. Leadership. Many opportunities for branch staff to be involved in the community.
Great place to work depending on department
Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 7, 2015
Most of the departments are great to work in. Retail, Mortgage, IS and others, are all incredibly well run with room for advancement and compensation. The company provides lackluster compensation in the hopes that the company culture and other benefits will make up for it. LMCU offers a pension plan as well as different 401k options which are hard to find, but the compensation is typically well below the area average.

That being said, there is a devastating problem with the "silo" effect in that communication between departments is virtually non-existant. Also most of the managers, including my own, were woefully under-qualified for their position, simply earning it because they were there long enough.

I recommend working at LMCU as the culture is pretty strong, but be wary of the upper management... some can be very petty and childish (Mortgage, Finance, IS, and Retail all have great leaders; the others...) LMCU is very conservative both to its advantage and detriment, do not expect to earn much more than your hiring salary.
Pros
pension
Cons
no communication on expectations, refuse to employ family members
Great Company Culture
Member Service (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 9, 2015
The company works hard to develop a strong sense of company culture and have been successful in doing so.

Great employees!
Pros
community involvement, value work life balance!
Cons
compensation
A company that focuses on employee appreciation and great member service
Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 2, 2015
I've been very fortunate to work for this Company. A typical day at work consists of performing daily tasks and responsibilities. I've learned a lot of valuable knowledge in each department that I've worked in. Any initial challenges that may be presented to employees at this company, are easily overcome with experience and guidance from the helpful management staff and our co-workers. I continue to enjoy working for such a successful and rewarding company.
Exceptional company, best place to work!
Junior Mortgage Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 26, 2015
Lake Michigan Credit Union has been the best place that I have ever worked. I admire the culture that has been developed that allows employees to feel empowered to do their best and they strive to mentor all that they employ. Management is very influential in personal growth and development as they provide exceptional tools, training, materials and assistance to make each employee the best they can be. I have yet to see such a positive and team influenced company that is shining brighter year-by-year. They are a driving force in the industry and many have a lot to learn from their enthusiasm for their employees and their exceptional member service.
Pros
Empowerment, freedom for growth, excellent team work and superior managerial staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lake Michigan Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3