Lake Michigan Credit Union Employee Reviews

Teller II
Teller (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 27, 2015
No growth in the Traverse city area. Not enough staff. To many people acting as boss and not a lot of communication. Management was poor.
Pros
pay
Cons
no advancement, no communication
Enthusiastic and member oriented work environment
Teller Two (Current Employee) –  Lake, MINovember 7, 2015
Constantly greeting and assisting members in financial and personal transactions, or directing them to a coworker who can assist them. Continuously being productive and working on something, whether that be helping members, personal assignments, or branch oriented projects.
Kalamazoo Branches
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MiOctober 7, 2015
This is a great place to work if you are in the Grand Rapids area. The Kalamazoo branches are not run efficiently or with any kind of structure.
Stable business
Community Relations and Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 18, 2015
HIgh savings rate. Low loan rates. Growing business. Leadership. Many opportunities for branch staff to be involved in the community.
Great place to work depending on department
Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 7, 2015
Most of the departments are great to work in. Retail, Mortgage, IS and others, are all incredibly well run with room for advancement and compensation. The company provides lackluster compensation in the hopes that the company culture and other benefits will make up for it. LMCU offers a pension plan as well as different 401k options which are hard to find, but the compensation is typically well below the area average.

That being said, there is a devastating problem with the "silo" effect in that communication between departments is virtually non-existant. Also most of the managers, including my own, were woefully under-qualified for their position, simply earning it because they were there long enough.

I recommend working at LMCU as the culture is pretty strong, but be wary of the upper management... some can be very petty and childish (Mortgage, Finance, IS, and Retail all have great leaders; the others...) LMCU is very conservative both to its advantage and detriment, do not expect to earn much more than your hiring salary.
Pros
pension
Cons
no communication on expectations, refuse to employ family members
Great Company Culture
Member Service (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 9, 2015
The company works hard to develop a strong sense of company culture and have been successful in doing so.

Great employees!
Pros
community involvement, value work life balance!
Cons
compensation
A company that focuses on employee appreciation and great member service
Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 2, 2015
I've been very fortunate to work for this Company. A typical day at work consists of performing daily tasks and responsibilities. I've learned a lot of valuable knowledge in each department that I've worked in. Any initial challenges that may be presented to employees at this company, are easily overcome with experience and guidance from the helpful management staff and our co-workers. I continue to enjoy working for such a successful and rewarding company.
Exceptional company, best place to work!
Junior Mortgage Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 26, 2015
Lake Michigan Credit Union has been the best place that I have ever worked. I admire the culture that has been developed that allows employees to feel empowered to do their best and they strive to mentor all that they employ. Management is very influential in personal growth and development as they provide exceptional tools, training, materials and assistance to make each employee the best they can be. I have yet to see such a positive and team influenced company that is shining brighter year-by-year. They are a driving force in the industry and many have a lot to learn from their enthusiasm for their employees and their exceptional member service.
Pros
Empowerment, freedom for growth, excellent team work and superior managerial staff
great
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 25, 2015
Its a good place to work for. Everyone is always nice and there is always something to learn and grow. Moreover, the company is growing fast and their is always positions open to move up within the company.
Great company for job work / life balance.
IT Manager, Senior SAN / Server Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 10, 2014
Great company to work for, but since it is a smaller company, management opportunities are a bit limited.

Want to know more about Lake Michigan Credit Union?

Ask a question
Management leaves more to be desired
Member Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MINovember 28, 2014
I love most of my coworkers and the culture at the company is great however, management leaves more to be desired. I feel alot has to do with the company being predominately on the west side of the state.Not enough marketing has been done on this side of the state to get our name out there and to bring in business and the lack of business is placed on our shoulders. But the management is the biggest issue
Fair
Teller II (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 7, 2014
LMCU provides a pleasant and safe work environment for their employees.
Great culture and room for advancement
Mortgage Post Closing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 8, 2014
I loved the people I worked with, the culture at LMCU is great! I was able to take classes offered through LMCU to advance to other positions within the company.
Pros
the culture
Professional and supportive environment
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 8, 2014
Lake Michigan is a great company. They are very interested in treating their employees well, giving them the right training and also supporting them in their work life and personal life. I feel like people care about me.I get to interact with people offer a great product.
Great to their members, but mistreat their employees
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 15, 2014
Working for Lake Michigan Credit Union initially seemed like a dream come true, but it shortly became apparent that it was not what you know, but who you know. Management is shaky, every changing, and disgruntled with one another. Co-workers could be ok, that is if they weren't back stabbing to get ahead. Hardest part of the job was pretending to be happy. Most enjoyable part of the day was being able to assist the members and build a relationship with them.
Pros
personal connections
Cons
poor management, little advancement
Teller II, Customer Service and Sales (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 16, 2013
Time management skills
Sometimes unorganized
Sometimes too much gossip with people that know each other outside of work
Fun and great place to work!
Mortgage Servicing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 14, 2013
Great staff that works there. It makes the day go faster!

Typical day would begin with entering correspondent loans, then would check in retail packages and securing notes. After that was done, then would start loading the Retail loans.
Best Company Ever!
ATM Servicing Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 29, 2013
I loved working here. If I hadnt moved to Texas I would still be at LMCU to this day!