Lake Superior State University Employee Reviews

Be careful which department you choose to work/apply
Special Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIMarch 22, 2016
Some departments were great to work with despite where I was hired that was very cut throat shortly after I started at one of the main offices. I worked in a very controlling environment with two veteran colleagues that were arrogant and full of themselves. They felt they were above me so I was talked down to and treated like a child in school and expected me to learn a large amount of detail in a very short time. It was the most negative experience I've ever had in more than 25 years of working in an office environment. I learned a lot in such a short time with very little mistakes, but I was pushed out of my position by the main boss, which was basically a personal conflict. I wasn't one of her young college graduates to be controlled like a puppet on a string and didn't fit in her 'clicky' group of girls. However, I transferred to another department part time that was very enjoyable and my colleagues and supervisor were pleasant to work with.
Pros
Benefits, flexible lunches
Cons
Politics, low pay for duties that were demanded

Comment – May 13, 2016

You are also required to learn Banner system in much detail, memorizing a multiple list of coded screens to navigate and make changes without mistakes. Don't expect to be trained and have hands on experience to give time to learn the system, or feel comfortable asking for help. You are expected to learn and memorize an overwhelming amount of duties, within only a couple of months. I was only given negative feedback by a strict boss when I felt I did a great job learning and performing my job. I had many years of clerical experience before working at LSSU and was never treated so poorly, it was a very unpleasant experience to say the least.

good place to begin career
Interim Co-Head Coach (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste Marie,MIJune 12, 2016
heavy work load but great experience
great management
great interaction between students and faculty
lots of room for creativity and individulism
Close quarters and fun environment.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIApril 21, 2016
This was an establishment where I worked with people my own age doing relatively simple tasks. I got along with management and enjoyed my time here.
Learning Center is a Great
Front Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIFebruary 25, 2016
It is a great place to work for students because if you work at the front desk you have time to study between making appointments, signing people in/out, and answering phones which is great when most college students don't have to much time with their busy schedules.
Pros
Candy, Social
Cons
Cold down in the Basement
Lssu
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIFebruary 27, 2016
I worked here as a tutor. Helping others improve their ability is one of the biggest concerns of mine, as well as the Learning Center. It was a lot of fun and a lot of learning during my time at LSSU. Loved the instructors, and the staff that I worked for at the learning center.
Pros
Freedom of tutoring your methods
Cons
little pay
Challenging and very rewarding work
Director Petoskey Regional Center (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIOctober 21, 2015
Enjoyed the variety of tasks required of the position and working with many different types of people and in the environment of continuous learning and education!
Work Study Job
Audio/Visual Technical Services (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste Marie, MISeptember 21, 2015
Working with electronics is what interests me so having a job where you can learn about them is a great deal. Could work as many hours as the school would allow. Learned a lot about computers.
Pros
Hands on Experiance
Cons
Low Pay
Great place to work and feel fulfilled.
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saulte Sainte Marie MISeptember 20, 2012
A typical day during the school year consisted of constant travel to state wide high schools and college day fairs promoting the institution and recruiting new students. During the summer, days were spent in the office interviewing prospective students and parents, giving campus tours, explaining the admissions process, breaking down cost and gaining commitment form students to enroll. In this position I learned a great deal in listening and identifying with the prospects needs, interest, concerns and desires and properly matching knowledge and information to generate a positive outcome and solution. The work environment was great and relaxed. The hardest part of the job was staying busy. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great team.
Pros
great institution to work for and to gain experience.
Cons
very low job security because of state funding.
Supportive and strong environment
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste Marie, MINovember 5, 2012
I taught two classes a week which met twice a week. I taught a lab class so time was divided between lecture/board work and working with the group or one on one. I learned how to be more professional, how to manage my time better at home and at work towards completing what was needed for the classes, and I learned valuable teaching skills. The administrative staff and other professors were always helpful, friendly, and encouraging. The hardest part was working with students with poor attitudes or work ethics but nonetheless, working with students was the best part.
Pros
good pay, freedom for classroom management & lesson plans
Cons
i would have liked to teach more courses.
Lake State
Interim Head Women's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIMarch 19, 2013
Typical day consists of recruiting, budgets, travel expenses, organizing camps, watching game film, preparing for workouts, weight lifting workouts, etc.

I have learned to really stay organized and balanced in what I spend more time on than another. Co-Workers are what keep us coming to work everyday; I couldn't have asked for better co-workers while here at LSSU over the past 5 years.

Hardest part of my job is thinking thru ideas and what will be best for our team at the current moment. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiles on the players faces knowing that they were successful.
Pros
travel, flexible hourly schedule
Cons
long days, weekends, travel
An enjoyable time with an outstanding workplace community.
Instructor of Communication Studies (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MISeptember 9, 2013
Working as an instructor, my work hours depended upon the needs of my students. The classrooms were clean and technologically advanced. My department chair was responsive and supportive when inquiry or concerns were apparent.

Working independently was one of the best parts of this job but knowing I had an active community and team environment is what made me flourish in this position.
A challenging but rewarding job both mentally and emotionally.
Laboratory Preparation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIJanuary 17, 2013
Prepping the weekly labs was primarily an independent job for me and included various duties such as keeping a sanitized lab, updating the lab manuals, checking inventory for necessary components, communicating any concerns/and or suggestions with the professors and my supervisor, and mainly just using common sense to avoid potentially dangerous situations.
I was able to log hours whenever it was convenient for my schedule so long as my labs were prepped and ready by the time the classes started. As a freshman taking a full coarse load, I can barely express how grateful I was to have such an accommodating employer.
I also had a very understanding supervisor who always made me feel worthy and competent even on the occasions when the stress of homesickness and classes got the better of me.
The knowledge I gained as a result of this job is something I will always be grateful for.
Pros
working with such smart and welcoming people, constantly learning new lab techniques and standards, and of course, the chemistry jokes.
Cons
could get lonesome at times and became frustrating when my inexperience inconvenienced others.
Not a good work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIAugust 28, 2012
I would not recommend Lake Superior State University to anybody for employment or any of the degree programs. They do not care about the students or the workers and the tuition is way too high with too many hidden fee's. They treat the students like garbage and drain them of their financial resources and also give them grades which do not reflect their true ability.
College Job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIMay 15, 2014
Working as a lifeguard at LSSU provides a job for college students that offers semi-flexible scheduling. The schedule is set at the start of each term and guards can switch and trade hours as needed.
Lame work place with decent benefits
Telethon Caller (Former Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIMay 10, 2012
Poor management, beneficial for workers who are lazy. Very compensating with hours.
Hard Working, Fun person able to get the job done
Cook (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIFebruary 5, 2013
A typical day at work for me in having my ideal job would include creating projects, completing assignments, seeking more assignments upon completion of other jobs.
The hardest job I had was cleaning out silos and pouring concrete.
very managable for a busy life
Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIOctober 23, 2013
was very helpful for busy days and having school to go along the work day.
Pros
works with your scedual
Cons
not a lot of hours
Building Manager
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIJune 26, 2012
I was in charge of customer care with students and visitors to Lake Superior State!