Lake Superior State University Employee Reviews

Great place to work while attending classes.
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIJuly 9, 2017
LSSU really worked around my class schedule and helped me to gain confidence in the workplace. I was able to have some great guidance while I was there.
Relaxed with an education focus.
Public Safety Officer (Auxiliary) (Former Employee) –  MichiganJuly 7, 2017
The experience of the staff along with a University population allows you to maximize your potential. This is a great place for a new officer to gain experience and knowledge that they might not receive elsewhere.
Good job for students
Caterer (Former Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIApril 30, 2017
Working at LSSU while attending classes was a great way to have a flexible work schedule as a student. I would recommend the opportunity to any students looking for a part-time job.
Good people in a good institution
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIApril 28, 2017
The employers and the students here are wonderful people. Patient, understanding, and all-around laid back. I would recommend working here for a while.
Pros
good people
Cons
Can be left to your own devices at times
A good place to find a job if you are a student.
Geology lab assistant (Current Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIMarch 7, 2017
As a student getting a job in the department you want isn't that difficult. It is nice that you can work the hours you want so that they go around your classes.
Food Service
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIDecember 3, 2016
Good job to start out at. It was my first job when I was still in high school. Clean dishes, put them away, change food in/out. Good starter job for a young teen.
Good place to work during school
Circulation Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MISeptember 12, 2016
Most days consisted of checking books in/out and shelving so shifts could get pretty tedious. However, because it was work study, they worked around my school schedule. Evening or early morning shifts were best because the library wasn't very busy and you could work on school work.
Pros
workable schedule
Cons
limited hours
good place to begin career
Interim Co-Head Coach (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste Marie,MIJune 12, 2016
heavy work load but great experience
great management
great interaction between students and faculty
lots of room for creativity and individulism
Close quarters and fun environment.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIApril 21, 2016
This was an establishment where I worked with people my own age doing relatively simple tasks. I got along with management and enjoyed my time here.
Be careful which department you choose to work/apply
Special Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIMarch 22, 2016
Some departments were great to work with despite where I was hired that was very cut throat shortly after I started at one of the main offices. I worked in a very controlling environment with two veteran colleagues that were arrogant and full of themselves. They felt they were above me so I was talked down to and treated like a child in school and expected me to learn a large amount of detail in a very short time. It was the most negative experience I've ever had in more than 25 years of working in an office environment. I learned a lot in such a short time with very little mistakes, but I was pushed out of my position by the main boss, which was basically a personal conflict. I wasn't one of her young college graduates to be controlled like a puppet on a string and didn't fit in her 'clicky' group of girls. However, I transferred to another department part time that was very enjoyable and my colleagues and supervisor were pleasant to work with.
Pros
Benefits, flexible lunches
Cons
Politics, low pay for duties that were demanded

Comment – May 13, 2016

You are also required to learn Banner system in much detail, memorizing a multiple list of coded screens to navigate and make changes without mistakes. Don't expect to be trained and have hands on experience to give time to learn the system, or feel comfortable asking for help. You are expected to learn and memorize an overwhelming amount of duties, within only a couple of months. I was only given negative feedback by a strict boss when I felt I did a great job learning and performing my job. I had many years of clerical experience before working at LSSU and was never treated so poorly, it was a very unpleasant experience to say the least.

Lssu
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIFebruary 27, 2016
I worked here as a tutor. Helping others improve their ability is one of the biggest concerns of mine, as well as the Learning Center. It was a lot of fun and a lot of learning during my time at LSSU. Loved the instructors, and the staff that I worked for at the learning center.
Pros
Freedom of tutoring your methods
Cons
little pay
Learning Center is a Great
Front Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIFebruary 25, 2016
It is a great place to work for students because if you work at the front desk you have time to study between making appointments, signing people in/out, and answering phones which is great when most college students don't have to much time with their busy schedules.
Pros
Candy, Social
Cons
Cold down in the Basement
Challenging and very rewarding work
Director Petoskey Regional Center (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIOctober 21, 2015
Enjoyed the variety of tasks required of the position and working with many different types of people and in the environment of continuous learning and education!
Work Study Job
Audio/Visual Technical Services (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste Marie, MISeptember 21, 2015
Working with electronics is what interests me so having a job where you can learn about them is a great deal. Could work as many hours as the school would allow. Learned a lot about computers.
Pros
Hands on Experiance
Cons
Low Pay
College Job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIMay 15, 2014
Working as a lifeguard at LSSU provides a job for college students that offers semi-flexible scheduling. The schedule is set at the start of each term and guards can switch and trade hours as needed.
very managable for a busy life
Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIOctober 23, 2013
was very helpful for busy days and having school to go along the work day.
Pros
works with your scedual
Cons
not a lot of hours
An enjoyable time with an outstanding workplace community.
Instructor of Communication Studies (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MISeptember 9, 2013
Working as an instructor, my work hours depended upon the needs of my students. The classrooms were clean and technologically advanced. My department chair was responsive and supportive when inquiry or concerns were apparent.

Working independently was one of the best parts of this job but knowing I had an active community and team environment is what made me flourish in this position.
Lake State
Interim Head Women's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIMarch 19, 2013
Typical day consists of recruiting, budgets, travel expenses, organizing camps, watching game film, preparing for workouts, weight lifting workouts, etc.

I have learned to really stay organized and balanced in what I spend more time on than another. Co-Workers are what keep us coming to work everyday; I couldn't have asked for better co-workers while here at LSSU over the past 5 years.

Hardest part of my job is thinking thru ideas and what will be best for our team at the current moment. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiles on the players faces knowing that they were successful.
Pros
travel, flexible hourly schedule
Cons
long days, weekends, travel
Hard Working, Fun person able to get the job done
Cook (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIFebruary 5, 2013
A typical day at work for me in having my ideal job would include creating projects, completing assignments, seeking more assignments upon completion of other jobs.
The hardest job I had was cleaning out silos and pouring concrete.
A challenging but rewarding job both mentally and emotionally.
Laboratory Preparation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIJanuary 17, 2013
Prepping the weekly labs was primarily an independent job for me and included various duties such as keeping a sanitized lab, updating the lab manuals, checking inventory for necessary components, communicating any concerns/and or suggestions with the professors and my supervisor, and mainly just using common sense to avoid potentially dangerous situations.
I was able to log hours whenever it was convenient for my schedule so long as my labs were prepped and ready by the time the classes started. As a freshman taking a full coarse load, I can barely express how grateful I was to have such an accommodating employer.
I also had a very understanding supervisor who always made me feel worthy and competent even on the occasions when the stress of homesickness and classes got the better of me.
The knowledge I gained as a result of this job is something I will always be grateful for.
Pros
working with such smart and welcoming people, constantly learning new lab techniques and standards, and of course, the chemistry jokes.
Cons
could get lonesome at times and became frustrating when my inexperience inconvenienced others.