Lake Washington Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Busy office, great students, faculty and staff
DENTAL CLINIC MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAFebruary 11, 2017
We serve the public in the 36 chair dental clinic. I assist the students in getting their requirements met along with serving the public with dental needs. It's been a fantastic place to work but the commute is getting more difficult each year.
Pros
benefit package
Cons
distance
Fun place to work and learn.
In Class Adobe Tutor & Department Marketing (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJanuary 17, 2017
Always busy while being fun. You are able to get to know the employees and students. It was rewarding to see students learn.
Love the job, that's about it
Professor (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WADecember 5, 2016
Teaching is difficult enough on its own, but with the exception of one, or two individuals, the college's administration operates the college against the wishes of students and faculty, and despite hemorrhaging enrollment. Instead of examining and discarding the policies and procedures that help instructors provide the best education, which is the 'product,' the administration is by-and-large reactionary to pop-culture, trendy politics and use the campus's resource to force such issues into a place of critical thinking. Students come for education, and professional guidance, and they are met with some caring faculty, and some who view themselves as independent contractors and who do as little as possible as a result.
Great Atmosphere
SECRETARY of Public Health Club (Former Employee) –  Kirksville, MONovember 8, 2016
Distributing meeting agendas, note taking, and recording were some of the tasks as Secretary. It required being an active and present voting member of the Public Health Club. The biggest learning experience is coordinating schedules/calendars, time management, and keeping ideas realistic. There was a lot of ambition and passion but not enough resources (funds, man power, time) to reach every goal in the limited time. The hardest part was to literally start up and create this club in order to build a strong foundation for future members. The most enjoyable aspect was to be a part of the solution and tackling public health within our school and community.
Pros
comraderie, learning experience, promoting public health
Cons
start up, limited time and money, politics
Teaching and management
Dental Hygiene Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAOctober 17, 2016
LWIT is a state college and it was always a challenge to balance the excellent education provided to the students and the management demands of a community dental clinic, faculty and staff.
It was a joy to teach didactic and clinical skills to students and work with a great group of dedicated faculty and staff. I enjoyed the clinic management most as well as the opportunity to provide care to those with limited access to traditional dental practice.
Pros
Looked forward to everyday!
Cons
Difficult state funding model
The college was a great place to work.
EA Confidential Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJuly 8, 2016
The college was a great place to work. Salary was not great but the location was convenient for me and this was a plus. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Good location
Cons
President at the time was somewhat difficult to work with.
good job
Adjunct Faculty Member (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJune 13, 2016
I like working there. It's a good place to teach and try new things. I would recommend it to other people getting started into teaching at the community college level. Management is supportive. Students aren't always particularly motivated, but that's to be expected.
great environment
Full Time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAApril 21, 2016
I've had a wonderful time working here and I would be willing to work here again when a position opened in the machine technology department here at Lake Washington Institute of Technology.
Work Study Position - Electronics Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAFebruary 3, 2016
I loved working here while attending school. My bosses were cool and the facility is very frendly in many ways. Dont take my word for it, go by and visit. Ask around and you will see that everyone who works there says the same!
Pros
Lots of perks and free lunches!
Cons
Enjoying work so much I forget to eat.
This is a modern Dental Hygiene teaching institution.
Instructor (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WADecember 7, 2015
This is a excellence teaching facility to work in to teach students how to become successful dental hygienists.
The colleagues were fun to work with because we all had similar work backgrounds.
The work pace was reasonable to handle.
This is a very fulfilling job to have the opportunity to teach students about a successful career of my own.
Pros
Modern institution with modern equipment to teach students.
Cons
The work was generally part-time.
Productive and fast past
front desk assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirkland WaJuly 26, 2015
I made appointments, used Microsoft programs like Office and Outlook. I learned how to fax, copy, file, and orginize paper work. My co-works made work enjoyable yet they were hard workers.
Pros
Learned how to use programs and machines
Cons
Didnt get alot of time there
Work in Progress to improve educational standards
Instructor Building Plant Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAAugust 29, 2014
A lot of highly qualified, dedicated instructors. I learned a lot while I was there.
Many new upgraded Technology Machines
Head Custodian (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJune 19, 2014
A good East side College many new classes been added and many new student every quarter new enrollment.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Energetic, amazing workplace
Work Study Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAMarch 7, 2014
On a typical work day come in turn on programs and computers open doors straighten up office area, get caught up on phone messages, reply to those, sign students up for either testing or advising, do any extra needed projects if any. What I learned working here was independence, muti-lined phones, Microsoft programs, general office professionalism. My co-workers were great people it was a home away from homes with them, they are very happy, helpful, and are wonderfully generous. The hardest part of this job was that it was a work study position. What I enjoyed most of this job was the opportunity I had to meet the people I did and that I had so many resources at my fingertips for almost anything.
Pros
The Staff
Comfortable and motivating atmosphere with great staff and resources for students
Trio Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAAugust 5, 2013
As a Trio Tutor, I provided one-on-one personalized math and English tutoring with little to no supervision. My boss and the career specialists I worked with were all incredibly knowledgeable and great to work with.

Each quarter, I typically met with 10-15 students weekly. I tailored lessons according to each of the student's unique learning style and needs. Some of my duties included guiding students through homework problems, assisting with test and report preparation, and demonstrating how to solve math problems to groups of students in the open learning lab. In addition, I helped a career specialist develop instructional materials for algebra, geometry, and statistics courses.

The most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing the joy and increased confidence of students once they were able to successfully pass a test or class.
Pros
Flexible hours and objectively measurable results
Would not recommend
Administrative staff (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WADecember 7, 2012
Oh boy. It is extremely rare that I would ever say to anyone "Don't go near that place," but in the case of Lake Washington Institute of Technology, I make an exception. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. I was sort of excited to get a position there, but after only three months I wanted to leave. I feel all I did was take minutes; which I don't like doing. Not much was delegated to me, so I never had much to do. Consequently, I feel like I was hired only to fill a seat - no real consideration given to my skills and expertise. Other staff members didn't seem to have much to do either, except cruise the internet and gossip. It's hard to quantify the atmosphere there. Very unfriendly, for starters, including some of the "leadership." I have been in positions that require me to maintain confidentiality; I have done payroll for 800 people, after all. But here, I feel I had to be careful about what I said to anyone, and felt I could only trust a few people. It seems to me management rules by fear, and questionably ethical in conducting business. The pay and benefits are pretty good, but that it is about the only semi-good thing about it. I know for a fact that many people are not happy and are trying to find work elsewhere. It is a black hole of negative energy at this college. I do NOT recommend it. Go elsewhere, please.
Pros
semi-decent pay
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lake Washington Institute of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2