Lakeshore Learning Materials Employee Reviews

Do yourself a favor....
Corporate Office - Retail (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAOctober 23, 2016
...and avoid this place like the plague. Management is terrible, majority of them are not even trained to manage/supervise employees. If you work hard but still don't fit in to the twisted "culture" they will find a reason to fire you. And it will be done in ghetto fashion....you will be called into a room and fired by an HR rep while someone boxes up your belongings and puts them out on the curb. Seriously, save your sanity and avoid this place. There is nothing good about it.
Pros
some really good people work here, that's about it.
Cons
terrible management, rule by fear, cult like "culture"
Fast Growing Company
Operational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carson, CA 90895October 3, 2016
An excellent company to work for. Is growing so fast that you either hop on board, or be left behind. An industry leader with top level management from the CEO down.
productive fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJSeptember 9, 2016
I worked there for 8 years and I developed my people and communication skills. I loved working with all my co workers and developed good relationships with all of them.
An amazing fast paced and well managed company to work for!! Great culture and most importantly outstanding customer service!!!
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 6, 2016
Lakeshore has been such a learning experience over the past 9 years as a manager. They have so much to offer for the development of young children in todays world.
The guest service and team culture in the building makes it all worth it everyday!!
fast past environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 26, 2016
When arriving to work I immediately take the time to huddle my team in on what the day will look like. We observe the daily and weekly sales goals. Then I speak about what our top selling products are and what new arrivals we may have. Ensure everyone is on the same page with product knowledge. From there I notice what projects are at hand with any company updates or direction. Each member of management has their area of responsibility. Such as merchandising product, markdowns, freight, payroll, outreach events, marketing materials and numbers to observe and plan on, scheduling and training areas that need to be addressed. The challenges of the job is ensuring everyone sees the big picture. And how each of our roles plays into the needs of the business. Understanding each role is crucial to running the business. Everyone is important and has their own skill set to bring to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting positive reactions from customers who are very happy with the service and professionalism they receive. Our team goes above and beyond to ensure the customer is happy. Also being able to see the growth in my management team is rewarding. Their success is mine! It's great to see the progress and accomplishments we make as a team.
Pros
getting to see and learn all of the new products
Cons
expensive health care
Very productive environment
Sorting Dock Clerk (Lead) (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJune 3, 2015
The day is filled with many tasks to be accomplished. There is never a second to waste because work is either busy or steady. I can't say I've learned too many things I didn't already know except learning their procedures. Most of my coworkers are just as dedicated as me, and very few lack good work ethics.
Pros
Company buys employees lunch often
Cons
Hostile environment
Management needs help
Assistant to Manager of Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAApril 14, 2015
I love my coworkers, I enjoy the many challenges we face almost on a daily basis, and to work for a company where you respect their products has been a great opportunity. However, I'm ready to work for a company that treats their employees well and honors their hard work. People have become very disposable at Lakeshore which is why they struggle with retention rates. The hardest, but ironically most enjoyable part of my job is making sure my manager is up-to-par with her schedule, communicating with all her daily calls and emails, and making sure all administrative duties for our department are being handled. Whether I would take care of it or delegate it to someone else, I had to make sure we were compliant with all daily administrative tasks. Having to juggle two roles within my department has had me learn various tactics to stay organized and on top of things. Overall Lakeshore has been a great experience and I dedicate several of my skill sets to my time spent here.
Pros
My coworkers, The product we sell, Proximity to my house, profit sharing
Cons
Management overall, Quality assurance for all employees, short lunch breaks
Wonderful team with great work ethic
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 3, 2015
A highly productive work place that requires quick thinking and fast working. Great coworkers and department management.
A pleasure to work with
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAOctober 13, 2014
Lakeshore Learning Materials is by far one of the best companies iv'e worked at. They are respectful to all employees, and really care. The environment is an extremely fun please to work at.
Pros
learned how to use an RF 50 Gun
Great Culture and strong work Ethic
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carson, CASeptember 13, 2014
This company provides a highly motivating place for people to work. They have great benefits and reward hard work. Lots of perks including several company-wide parties per year.
Pros
Benefits, work experience
Cons
management
Fun place to work
Seasonal Order Taker (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAAugust 25, 2014
The company always trains its employees if they do changes to the system. Supervisors are always around to help if you get stuck. Co-workers are always friendly and courteous towards each other. Loved working their and look forward to working their again this year
Pros
Free carnival and lunch on Halloween
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Average job
Warehouse clerk (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 19, 2014
I worked there for a couple years and it seemed like forever. I was stuck doing the same job because I was good at it. My supervisor didn't even push for me to advance just because no one else could do it like me. I was always told that I was going to be training to do something else but I never had the chance to. It was extremely frustrating when other people got transferred around to other buildings while I still kept doing the same repetitive thing.

However, I did learn a lot from my experience there, and I owe lakeshore for helping me build my work ethic. The job is very physically demanding and is constantly busy. So there is no down time at all. Overtime is almost everyday, and some people love it and some people hate it.
Pros
Health benefits, 401k, vacation and sick time, eligible for raise every 6 months
Cons
Many people don't speak English, some supervisors micromanage and go in frequent power trips, pay isn't the best, they won't push you to succeed, mandatory overtime, it's either managements way or your fired.
A Fun Learning and Working Environment for all
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJune 23, 2014
Lakeshore Learning Store is a down to earth place to be employed. A typical work day is coming in to a place where everyone works towards a common goal. It is a place where support from each associate helps you get through to customers and provide the necessary needs of each. A team work oriented place that helps teachers, parents, grandparents, and associates expand their knowledge of education and understanding amongst children. The most enjoyable part of my job is making a customer happy and having them say that they will come back again because it was such a wonderful experience for them. In opposition, the hardest part of my job is dealing with customers that are not open to new educational experiences and learning more about new educational options they can provide to their child. All in all, Lakeshore is a comfortable environment that offers endless amounts of educational experiences for children, teachers, parents, grandparents, and anyone who has interaction with children.
Pros
Staff, Managers, Work Environment, Employee Discount
Cons
Not a lot of hours available to work
Awesome staff to work with
Seasonal Sales Associate/Outlet Associate (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 1, 2014
A great working experience to learn, develop, and (surprisingly) help make a difference in the lives of teachers, their students, parents, and their children.
I loved interacting with customers and emplooyees
Receiver, Production Lead, Restock-Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carson, CADecember 3, 2013
When I got to work I went around and said hi to everybody and then I made sure all employees were assigned work and working correctly. I would then clean out payroll before doing the order for the store. I would the build displays and help stock the shelves before going home.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Working nights
Excellent Company to work for
Customer Service Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Carson, CASeptember 6, 2013
Lakeshore is a family based company that truly supports it's employees. The owner walks through our department every day without fail. The number one goal is to carry quality products and provide the best service to customers. I have never been in a company where Customer Service was closely monitor by the owner to ensure consistent excellent service. The people are excellent, meetings star on time and there is hardly any time wasted. There is a sense of urgency with everyone and you don't sense any mediocrity.

I lived in Florida before and want to return, that’s the only reason I would leave Lakeshore
Pros
Excellent Employee support and award system.
Fun Place to work, beautiful merchandise and very supporting Managers
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJuly 10, 2013
A typical day at work for me was doing a little of everything. As the Store Manager you are required to handle all operations at the store level and manage employees to ensure great customer service. I had part of my day scheduled off to the office when there was other management coverage so that I could get all the paperwork taken care of, but most of my day was spent on the floor with the staff and customers. I worked mainly coaching my staff on excellent customer service and also helping customers myself. The hardest part of the job was unloading the trucks. I really enjoyed the rest of my job and loved working with my staff and the customers.I also really like my District Manager, he has been very supportive and helpful in acheiving my goals.
Pros
fun environment, the people, discount to the store, growth opportunities
Cons
truck
Horrible!!!!!!!
Inventory Management (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJune 19, 2013
Hire and fire environment run by warehouse workers. Their motto is "You're great or you're gone"
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management, everything else
Good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newton, MAMay 24, 2013
It was my first customer service experience so it was good to learn practical things that would be useful such as operating a cash register and greeting customers.
fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMarch 12, 2013
-retail
-fun activities for the kids that come in
-fun merchandise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lakeshore Learning Materials. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3