LAKESIDE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SYSTEM Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Patients are great, Administration is not
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 30, 2017
The overall work culture of this company is great, until administration is involved. Lazy employees are rewarded, while if you work hard and get noticed the penalties tend to stack up. It's a very backward system. The nurses on whole are great to work with, as are the patients. Administration is constantly asking more from employees with no added benefits or compensation. Under-staffing is also a large problem.
Good Place to work.
Community Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 6, 2017
Scheduling can be a bit hectic, but overall it is a fair place to work. The children require special attention and can become quite upset, but communication is key. Keep a good rapport with the patients and the staff, and you'll do fine.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Scheduling
Sorry place
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Barlett tnMay 22, 2017
The people there are not fit to work with they miss treat patients and it's sad to see not a friendly place to work prejudice is in tha place never send old people there they are really mistreated and cussed out and the big people know this.
Toxic Work Culture
Program Director, Child and Adolescent Services (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 26, 2017
Extremely toxic work environment. Employees are expected to be available at all times, day or night. Management expects work to take priority over all things in your life. Sick kid? Doesn't matter! Death in the family? Doesn't matter! The hospital always comes first. Makes it very difficult to have life outside of work. Working at the hospital can easily become your life and then you'll feel like you should be a patient. No worries there, this money grubbing organization provides psychiatric services to employees- which is a nice touch. In order to be successful in this setting, one should be willing to sacrifice their dignity, integrity, healthy relationships, and sanity. Negotiate your pay. Every week there's a "budget crisis" this hospital generates the largest revenue for UHS- insist they pay you your worth.
Pros
You can say you work at the flagship hospital for UHS.
Cons
Unethical, unprofessional, not worth the stress
Don't work here! They don't care about you!
Community Counselor (Current Employee) –  Germantown, TNFebruary 15, 2017
Lakeside works you to death and then some! Always short staffed, overworked and unnapreciated. Their brand new geriatric building is poorly designed and dysfunctional. Nothing makes sense in it. The brand new bathrooms flood because they were built in a way that doesn't work or make sense. They say the showers don't drain because of the shower curtains! That doesn't even make sense!! Your lucky to have enough hot water to give maybe two or three patients a shower. Housekeeping hardly cleans....they clock in and hide. The floors are sticky from dried urine and who knows what else...the bathrooms smell like old urine and dirty butt. Upper Management does not care about complaints or their staff. Administration for the getiatric unit makes me sick, they are so fake and they live in an alternate reality in which they don't have a single clue about how to run a well organized unit. A non-degreed person could run that unit better than the "professionals" in there now( very loose usage of the word professional) They burn you out very quickly. You are just a body to them. The DON is great though! Upper management however is horrible. Find somewhere else to work if you want to keep your sanity.
Cons
Not a good place to work
Community Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 18, 2016
This is a greedy company that doesn't have your best interest at heart. The dietary department is disgusting. The head Chef is a racist and not fair. I will never work for him again. The health department needs to come in and overhaul the current situation. It's horrible. The whole staff are drunks or pot smokers. I say drug test them all.
HR (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 6, 2016
The people that work at Lakeside truly care about one another and the patients that they serve. As a member of HR, I constantly hear how our staff enjoys the team atmosphere. I have also seen many people promoted here. There is great opportunity for advancement at Lakeside.
Employees care a great deal about our patients and make a real difference in their lives. I've seen letter after letter from patients that tell us how individual employees have had a positive impact on their treatment!
Pros
Excellent benefits and paid time off; opportunity for advancement
Fun
Medical Record Analyst Clerk (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 27, 2016
Fun, The an excellent learning experience. Wonderful place to work. excellent benefits, pay periods are every two weeks.
Patients say they hate it there!!!
Anything (Former Employee) –  AnyJune 18, 2016
Was going to apply for a job here and told my clients at another mental facility about it...

They begged me not to go and work at Lakeside!!!😂😂😂😂😂 He said they don't help their patients to get better, the staff is lazy. He claimed that it is a clean facility and you could probably eat off of the floor but the staff and management SUCKS badly!! The patient is ALWAYS right!!
I currently work for Lakeside Behavioral Hospital
Community Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bartlett, TNJune 9, 2016
I am a Community Counselor. I enjoy the opportunity to work overtime in which results in a moderate paycheck. I have read all of the previous reviews, sadly I must admit they are very true. We are extremely short staffed and my coworkers are very rude to the patients. I would not recommend my job position to someone who can't deal with stress and a heavy workload. I shed tears daily for the patients due to Lakesides lack of given care from the nursing staff. I eye- witness staff neglecting patients everyday. I feel that the nurses want to be empathetic yet the stress extremely interferes thus their attitudes are very negative. When a medical emergency occurs, it takes too long for the patients to receive help. Management is very unorganized. They poorly train you and they show favoritism to their employees with seniority. If our joint commission and corporate office (UHS) knew the details about the situations that occur daily, they would close our facility. These are very sad and unethical practices, but I have kept my job only because I need the money. I plan on quitting as soon as I find a new job.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Heavy workload, Short Staffed, & Unethical practices

Want to know more about LAKESIDE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SYSTEM?

Ask a question
Horrible place to work
CNA (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 5, 2016
Always,always under staffed sometimes only one cna with 30 patients, most of the staff is lazy and if.they are not a cna they always refuse to do ADL's so patients are always wet. Management doesn't care no matter how much you complain to them nothing changes surprised this place hasn't been shut down yet.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, short of staff and management doesnt care
work place not berer
RN, BSN (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 27, 2016
will be give and provided safe therapeutic environment to client work for long time in a week and you don't have time for you family.
Pros
Na
Cons
short break
Good Incentive Programs
Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  RCIJuly 21, 2015
They have good ways of dealing with kids. They have incentives that make them want to do better. If they do what's required, like cleaning their rooms, doing their homework, attending school(the alternative school @ Lakeside), and obeying instructions, they get to have fun activities. They can swim in the swimming pool, in the summertime, or play basketball and other games in the gym.

I enjoyed my co-workers. Most were well-educated intelligent people.

The hardest part was dealing with unruly kids, when they first came in the program.

I loved seeing the girls want to make better lives for themselves.
Pros
I worked weekends, 36 hrs, and it was considered full-time.
Cons
We didn't always have as much help as we needed.
Easy workplace to provide stability
Community Counselor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 13, 2015
Awesome workplace to provide stability. Work is slow during the summer months but other than that it's actually great.
not bad but not great
Community Counselor (Former Employee) –  memphis, tnOctober 19, 2014
do prn, you can work how ever many hours you want, if you don't need benefits
Pros
unlimited prn hours, funny patients sometimes
Cons
staff, management, no so great hourly pay
Good Place to Work
Therapist (PRN) (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 2, 2014
Majority of my time is split between group therapy and completing progress notes. Time passes quickly. It is very easy to work 8 hours before you realize the hours have passed.

The work environment can be chaotic mostly because of the lack of organization fostered by the agency. Management is poor. Everyone is too busy to properly train new hires.

I do enjoy my co-workers. We work well together. The hardest part of the job was learning the working culture and finding what works best for me. The most enjoyable part of the job is the servitude.
OVERWORKED...Not safe for staff or patients
maintenance (Former Employee) –  MemphisNovember 28, 2013
As a former employee,I was there for almost 4 years.Recently I was fired do to a patient escape.Anyway,there are some people working there that are decent and really care about the patients..The Admin however actually care about profits and bonuses..I know,this is typical of a fired employee but As far as patient safety and comfort,,they would ratther spend multi thousands on floors paint and remodell,,The HVAC,,the most important thing greatly lacked...The staff are stretched much to thin as they are only needed when cencus is high,,,I was in maintenance and got to see ALL DEPARTMENTS and the inner workings.....My imediate boss is a decent man,,He really cares about His staff and patients,,His boss however will thow ANYONE under the bus to save his own hide....For the most part,the regular staff does the best they can with what they've got,,,...The management however lacks greatly..So there ya go,,if the management only cares about profits,you can make your own dtermination as to how your treatment will be...
Pros
Being able to help people
Cons
having management constraints so tight that you are not able to effectively be all you can be
Good entry level experience
Community Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis,TNNovember 19, 2013
A typical workday consisted of being a liason between the residents of Lakeside and the medical staff. I assisted with security checks and the admission of residents to an inpatient facility. I performed routine checks and assisted the patient population with basic needs. Throughout the duration of my employment, I was able to learn about various treatment methods and how different populations responded to them. I also learned about data entry in a medical setting.

Management for the most part was supportive, however there were constant staffing issues that were not addressed, most likely due to budgeting problems. I enjoyed the time that i spent with various co-workers as the lack of staffing support helped everyone develop a team mentality.

The most difficult part of this job was attempting to ensure that all patients had their needs adequately met, despite the previously mentioned lack of staffing support. The most enjoyable part of the position was being in a direct care setting and having the opportunity to positively impact people.
This job will burn you out fast.
therapist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 18, 2013
Lakeside is a for-profit psychiatrist hospital that controls most of the entry points for inpatient mental health services in Memphis. There are some really good clinicians that work there, but have to do so in high-stress conditions with little affirmation or recognition, inadequate resources, and management that measures success by average daily census and positive JCAHO scores. They hire fairly new therapists, burn them out after a couple of years, and the therapists leave and go elsewhere, disgruntled with the company, never wanting to refer back to them. There is not adequate supervision for licensure. The caseloads are unrealistically high. They manage with write-ups and micromanagement instead of training and reward for positive effort. They do not have a good reputation among clinicians in town that really know about the place.
Pros
Networking
Cons
unhealthy, will burn out here fast.
Poor management, understaffed, unequal treatment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 3, 2013
I was a RN at Lakeside and this is a description of my experience: poor management, unsafe and understaffed, lack resources to provide safe, quality patient care (i.e. there are no computers; ALL documentation is pen and paper.) Management does not treat all employees equal.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Poor management, understaffed, bad working conditions