BASIC FUNCTION/PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: To coordinate the administration of academic programs offered at Lakewood College in a manner that serves the best interest of students, maintains the highest standards of academic integrity in support of the mission of the College as defined by the College president and the board of directors.
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES/EXPECTATIONS OF THE POSITION:
A. Human Resources
1. Recruit, hire, orient and train faculty and assigned staff.
2. Assure that assigned faculty members hold the appropriate teaching credentials.
3. Communicate academic policies, standards and expectations to assigned faculty.
4. Complete faculty observations for each new faculty member during the first quarter teaching and all other faculty members at least annually; meet with faculty members to review the results.
5. Complete faculty master contract and term teaching assignment processes each hire.
6. Hold faculty meetings at least four times per year.
7. Assist with system faculty development training as requested.
8. Supervise College program coordinators, as assigned.
1. Develop an annual master schedule in collaboration with the President that will satisfy the academic needs of students while ensuring an adequate student/teacher ratio.
2. Develop course schedules in conjunction with program faculty and adjust, as needed, to ensure appropriate class size and teaching load.
3. Coordinate the student registration process for online courses.
4. Monitor transcript evaluation requests to ensure that official transcript evaluations are received and reviewed with students in a timely manner.
5. Participate in specified academic activities.
6. Assist with the academic awards/honors program, as requested.
7. Perform assigned duties related to graduation.
8. Monitor faculty completion of attendance procedures to assure compliance with College guidelines and participate in weekly attendance meetings.
9. Work in collaboration with the President to contact students if they stop attending online courses.
10. Monitor student appraisals of instruction results on a quarterly basis and take action as appropriate.
11. Monitor outcomes assessment processes to ensure their timely completion, as well as the security and confidentiality of assessment materials.
12. Monitor faculty grade reports to ensure accurate and timely completion.
13. Process grade reports.
14. Monitor student midterm alert processes.
15. Review student request forms.
16. Monitor the performance of assigned academic faculty and staff to ensure all other policies and procedures established by the College are followed.
17. Assist the College executive in the preparation of the fiscal academic budget and execute the academic budget accordingly.
18. Participate in the College’s long-range planning processes as requested by the College executive.
19. Coordinate the College research paper program and forward the selected research paper to the system academics office within established deadlines.
20. Complete tentative articulation agreements and forward them to the assistant provost.
21. Participate in national accreditation reviews and reports as requested.
22. Complete special academic projects as requested.
23. Work with College program coordinators on program accreditation activities and self-studies, if applicable.
24. Serve as the member on Curriculum Council, participate in monthly meetings and communicate information to College administrators, faculty and staff as appropriate.
25. Participate in Quick Reports and Assessment Steering Committee meetings and communicate information to College administrations, faculty and staff as appropriate.
26. Serve as chair of the Academic Standards Committee and ensure completion of satisfactory academic progress procedures in a timely manner.
27. Serve as the academic representative on College and system committees, as needed.
28. Attend College administrative and staff meetings and the annual deans’ meeting.
29. Inform the President of all relevant aspects of assigned areas of academic responsibility.
1. Oversee academic advising processes at the College; advise assigned students and maintain student academic records and files to ensure they represent an accurate, complete and current account of student’s academic progress.
2. Expedite matters related to online academic course work.
3. Maintain the highest percentage of student retention possible by maintaining student/faculty contact and addressing problems and concerns in assigned areas
4. Coordinate student grievances on academic issues in keeping with College guidelines.
5. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Master's degree required; doctorate preferred.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three to five years experience in management and human resource development plus three years teaching experience at the post-secondary level. Prior experience as an academic dean is preferred.
PHYSICAL: Occasionally exert force to lift and/or move objects up to 30 lbs.
SKILLS EXPECTATIONS: Must have a strong ability to plan, organize, direct and control. Must possess excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, verbal and written communication skills, and some background in learning theory and methods.
Interested candidates should apply online @lakewoodapplication.com. Attach your resume with cover letter and salary expectations. Local candidates only. * No phone calls please.