Lam Research Employee Reviews

Great Company
Mechanical Engineer, Senior (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 17, 2015
Lam is a great company with successful core values. Management is in tune with the work force and the culture is very good. It has been a challenging place to work with opportunities to advance. I have enjoyed my time with Lam and look forward to more successes.
Overall, a great experience.
Pros
Positive and challenging work with friendly co-workers.
Cons
None that come to mind.
Long hours be prepared to travel on short notice
Sabre Field Service Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CANovember 13, 2015
Long hours be prepared to travel on short notice. Training is typically OJT. Requires a lot guessing on company policies and procedures.
Great company to work. Provides training and retention incentives
Business Operations, Manager (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAJune 5, 2015
I have been with Lam / Novellus for over 11 years.

They have provided great training and support over the years.

The industry is maturing and becoming more stable.

Employee retention is high.
Pros
Employee Retention, Training, Maturing Industry
Cons
None that I can think of
Great place to work if...
Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORDecember 19, 2014
Lam Research is a very great place to work. Peer Staff (worker Bees) are of professional standard. However, Lam Research would be an Exceptional place to foster a long healthy career if Lam Research ":Cleaned House" of its Novellus Systems Legacy Management. This is the ONE element that impedes professional growth. All the other reviews I've read in regards to this claim is very accurate. Professional Ethics and Standards of Lam Research (Tualitn) is marred by this very element. In all, I'm happy that Lam Research Acquired Novellus Systems. It's only my hope that Lam Research has intent to Reeducate and if necessary replace its Novellus Legacy Management Staff.
Pros
Peer to Peer relationship is GREAT
Cons
You've just read
Fast-paced environment where deadlines are a priority
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  chandler, azOctober 17, 2014
 Duties and Responsibilities require me to work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Electronic system troubleshooting, mechanical aptitude, good communication skills, and the ability to deal effectively with customers e.g. Engineers and Technicians on the floor, postmortems, meetings, conferences, passdowns, lessens learned and escalations.
Poor job security and large bureaucracy
Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 12, 2014
This company has morphed into a large corporation with layered bureaucracy with many internal procedural barriers preventing fast and innovative product development. The tag line of innovative product solutions no longer applies, instead the process and procedure takes precedence over everything else. In order to be fast and responsive to customer needs you need to work outside the normal process. Just don't get caught or you will be eliminated.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Poor job security; rigid procedural work environment
Productive, safe, and fun work environment.
OMS Technician (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 5, 2014
My work is from 6:30AM to 3:00PM. At Lam Research, I learned the technical skills for my job. I learned safety in work environment and that is one of the most important things at Lam Research. I follow the OMS to make sure my products have the best quality. I also improve my work every day to exceed the required quantity.

I am a fast learner and self-motivated. I pay attention to detail and make sure tasks finish on time. I am very clean and organized. I also get along with others well so working in teams are great.
Pros
Free lunch on Saturdays sometimes. Free shuttle from San Jose to the company in Livermore.
Cons
Temporary job.
Exciting workplace to work for
SUPPLIER QUALITY ENGINEER III (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 30, 2013
Typically require to review he deviation for any changes for supplier to ship the product to LAM, failure analysis report by supplier, 8D report submitted by supplier to review root cause and any corrective actions or implementation taken, meetings with BU on issues related to failure at field or manufacturing plant or specification improvement. Supplier audit and management at site. Supply chain related issues. Review first article report, supplier presentation on new technology, Six sigma on DOE.
Lam Research was a good work atmosphere for me.
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 10, 2013
On a typical day, I would come in at 8-9am and work in two locations: the engineering group and the testing group.

In the engineering group I would do circuit board work and firmware programming, as well as continually communicate with my supervisors.

In the testing group I would build my test fixtures, as well as generate the appropriate documentation.
Pros
Good boss, good coworkers, excellent work experience
Cons
Only internships; it's extremely difficult for me to find fulltime employment at Lam
Semiconductor Company in it for the Long Run
Systems Configuration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 24, 2012
I learned what a good company was by working for Lam Research. The workforce did fluctuate with the economy but I was here 11 years. This company was and still is very vital with an enthusiastic workforce. I learned what good company culture could be while I was here and tried to re-create that when I moved on.
Pros
great company culture and chance for promotion and success
Cons
company workforce fluctuates with the economy
typical mid-sized company not great not bad
Software II Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORDecember 1, 2013
Not the greatest places worked (formerly the site was called Novellus). Everyone seems to be at each other's throats. Each team (software, hardware, electrical, mechanical, process) are dependent on each other. A true management and scheduling nightmare at times

People work hard there, are generally serious and show professionalism. Not enough people are rewarded however.
Pros
good job security, convenient cafeteria, flexible working hours
Cons
not learning a lot on the job, stale work
Love lam research
Field Service Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 21, 2012
Loved this job, got to travel the world, and work with some of the brightest minds in the semi-conductor. Loved my direct manager and site managers. learned how to take care of the latest and greatest 300mm dry etch semiconductor fabrication equipment. co-workers were mostly prior military so it made getting things done very fluid and most were very dependable. Miss the industry.
Pros
comraderie, work schedule compressed shift, pay, benifits
Cons
the up and down of the market causing for uknown layoffs.
Productive, fast-pace, work enviroment
SENIOR ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 20, 2012
Arrive 20 minutes early. Dress up for clean room. Check inventory of new parts that came in to be able to build sytems on hold and work at op1, op2 ,op 3, op 4 and op 5 in line 32. Built sytems and moved to each op. We worked as a team and always made our quota. If slow cross trained. Help new employee log in and show how to use the different programs that were run in the clean room. Also trained employees in all ops. Deliverying Inventory and parts to the all lines. Perform quality inspections.
Very structured and big corporation culture. Great professional growth.
Pilot Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 31, 2013
Supported Pilot Manufacturing and working on assigned commodities and the suppliers. Developed and managed suppliers and supported R&D projects. Ensured on-time material flow. Working on weekly shortage meetings with co-workers brought the team closer. Great direct management and leadership. Did not experience the hard part of the job. Learned in depth with the ERP system.
Pros
Big corporation benefits like stocks and profit sharing
Cons
Long commute
Well managed company
Global Mobility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 22, 2013
It was a pleasure to work with the professionals in HR at Lam Research. The typical day in Global Mobility was filled with many different activities. There was a lot of cooperation with my co-workers and with management. We worked as a team. Management was very good and supportive. They listened well. I enjoyed accomplishing the longer term project goals and also in serving the needs of the International assignees and transferees.
Pros
Good layout of cubes and offices. Buildings are modern and well maintained.
Master Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAApril 9, 2012
Responsible for complex technical functions in support of R&D and Manufacturing wafer transport and process modules. Highly skilled coworkers, great management staff. Hardest part of job is solving inner chamber process issues. Most enjoyable part of job is integrating a semiconductor platform and working the flaws out.
Pros
great support from management, latest technology
Cons
volitivity of semiconductor industry
A very productive and fun place to work at.
Equipment Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Fremont CAFebruary 10, 2014
A typical day at work involved daily maintenance of 200 mm & 300 mm wafer CMP/Clean processing equipment.
Trained in motion control system software for integrated robotic and mechanical device operation.
Management was good to all employees.
All co-workers were very cooperative.
There was no hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was managing equipment failures.
Pros
None.
Cons
None.
A good company with a few drawbacks
Field Service Engineer (FSE) (Current Employee) –  Fishkill, NYJune 28, 2013
The culture at LAM Research has always been positive for me and I have been there 3 years. I like the 12 hour shifts and supervision has always treated us fairly and with respect, good exposure to real time troubleshooting issues.
Pros
A good place to get exposure to real time troubleshooting issues
Cons
Projects are sometimes poorly defined and not enough training given especially to contract works
The cafeteria is open on night shift
Assembly Technician (Current Employee) –  Tualatin ORJuly 8, 2015
You build all the whole time you are there. Even though the shifts are long they go by fast. Not everyone is at the same skill level, so it can be frustrating at times when the lower skilled employees are not expected to do much.
Pros
You learn a lot
Cons
Long shifts
Typical expectations never enough time to do the job right the first time
Sr. Pro-e Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 17, 2015
Address any and all issues with whatever the current project might be. dealing with manufactures, vendors, machine shops, sheet metal shops, issues on the floor pretty much anything that arose.
Pros
The challenges presented to me
Cons
Never enough time always under the gun

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lam Research. Our community is ready to answer.