Lamar University Employee Reviews

Team orientated work environment
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 22, 2017
- Director of programs
- Requires a lot of self management. You must develop programs based off an appropriated university budget.
- Programs must suit a principled code and requirement.
Exciting Opportunity to work in mixed culture help students and staff
Student Assistant at IT Micro-computer support (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 7, 2017
Assisted Faculty, staff and students with password reset, email setup and wireless on personal devices.Troubleshooting lab PC’s based on university documentation, created tickets and escalate to technical support for resolution. Maintain, track tickets and creates reports of system utilization for management Performed maintenance on printers and computers and cleared print queues

I have learned how to work in a mixed culture, how to provide good customer relation, management was so caring about our education and valuable times, we were doing our maximum to provide the best service i can do.
My hardest part was how to manage tough time with multitasking during exam times, when 3 to 4 printers not working. and the best part is we will split the job in between and resolve it as a team effort.
Pros
Online schedule management, allowed to do assignment when there is no rush
Cons
Not allowd to work more than 17hr/week
High hours at inconvenient times
Intramural Official (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 7, 2017
-Usually work from 4 to 9 on weekdays
-I learned about working with people my age and older and how to balance out work with school
-Great supervisors
-the hardest par of working was trying to get peers to understand the rules
-the fun parts of work were the staff meetings and training days
Relaxed
Assistant to Electrical Engineering Department (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 3, 2017
I would work from day to day with just filing paperwork and sending emails and correlating with the professors on what they need as well as the students.
Cons
Can't work more than 20 hours
Gained a lot of knowledge about Battery and cell electrochemical testing.
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanoscience & Nanotechnology LabApril 3, 2017
I worked in a lab and it was a part-time job as a Graduate student. I got to work on a variety of machines related to my thesis subject. There was a problem during the process of my salary documents in the beginning.
Pros
Research experience
Cons
Long hours 10AM-7PM
Good Flexible Employer
Computer Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXApril 1, 2017
Lamar University is a good employer, especially if you are a student since they will work around your class schedule. Overall good place to work with friendly people.
Excellent
Academic Advisor TSI analyst (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 20, 2017
Lamar is one of the top colleges to work for in the United States. I have worked here for many years and plan to retire from this institution. The benefits are excellent and professional development opportunities are unbeatable.
Pros
benefits, work hours, work environment
based on one project named Web Crawler
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 19, 2017
This project was new and something I never had come up to. I learned new concepts of Java, developed my knowledge in scalability. The output was to give all the links based on the keyword(link) you enter.
Pros
I could work from home.
Cons
Had to work just on one project.
I just work on campus
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 10, 2017
Just work on campus under the department chair as Research Assistant. I am in touch with Java and my sql developing web crawler for Lamar and modules of some more softwares.
Fun workplace
Band Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 24, 2017
This was for a summer band camp, we escorted students to and from musical rehearsals. Made sure they were fed and got to and from their rooms safely.
Pros
Free lunches

Want to know more about Lamar University?

Ask a question
Freedom, Humanity, and Love
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 21, 2017
This world is a place of opportunity to some people and obstacle to others. To me neither is semantic. Clearly, the world is a great illusion. Honestly speaking, I am disillusioned from the mundane gamble. And 'FREEDOM is life' is my realization.
Good place to work on part-time.
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 13, 2017
I have worked part-time on a contract base while being student at L.U. They gave training for few days. People are really supportive. I have really enjoyed my work.
Helpful to the one looking for part time job
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 13, 2017
Friendly working area. Worked only for few hours as a part of college. Interaction with multi culture people. Learn to be more ethical and improved communication skills.
Great flexibility and people, but bad compensation
STARS Tutor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 10, 2017
The environment is great, but the pay and benefits are lacking. Many training sessions are required depending on the job position and you must be willing to be available at most times.
Great Student Job
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  General StudiesJanuary 21, 2017
This job is great for students looking for a job, especially those who leave on or near campus and do not have transportation. The work environment is a friendly one. The position is one that will keep you busy and provide you with an opportunity to enhance your communication and teamwork skills. Although you are busy during peak times you may also have time to work on school work. the job is flexible and works to make sure your schooling comes first.
Productive and creative learning environment.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 30, 2016
A typical day of a Organic lab starts well ahead with my prepartation for the lab. I used to go through all the contents of the lab, understand them and used to think of all the reasons for the procedure in the experiment. I used to watch the students do the lab and when they come up with any questions about the lab, I used to answer them. Coming to the stock room job, I used to prepare all dilutions and standardize them. It was really fun measuring with beakers and volumetric flasks and standardizing them using titrimetric anaysis,
Pros
free and flexible working hours.
Cons
Needs a lot of patience.
State Government
Director of Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 17, 2016
Currently enjoying the very good retirement benefits. I enjoyed the view at Lamar University better than working in a chemical plant.
Developed professional Educational university
Engineering Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 11, 2016
The environment is great and very safe. All of the students and staff are very friendly and willing to help in any way. There is always advising available for anyone that has any questions about their classes, schedules, or anything. Classes can be a bit tough but seeing your professors when they can to ask them questions is always helpful and they will make it easier for you to understand. Studying very hard is definitely required to be as successful as possible. There are always different event going on around campus for students to interact and get involved as well as to relax their minds for a while. Lamar is a great college.
Ok
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 2, 2016
Good work environment

I would suggest to others

Good management within athletic department

Helpful employers and employees

Good university setting
Work experience at Lamar
International Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  International Student ServicesNovember 29, 2016
I have worked at Lamar University International Student Services for almost a year. It has been very good experience to be in the office help all students from different countries. Work environment is challenging as there is always something complicated waiting for you to solve.

Overall I am glad that I was offered an opportunity to work there and learn how to deal with the time sensitive tasks being patient.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lamar University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5