Lamar University Employee Reviews

loved working with friends and planning events
Student Director (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TxMarch 26, 2013
Plan and put on events for the Fall and Spring Semesters,
Coordinate Student Organization Co- sponsorship, event evaluation,
money handling, reservations, poster/ flyer approval for campus posting,
Coordinates with students and staff to develop activities, programs, and initiatives
related to student life. Implementing computer lab rules and regulations, insure that
students have all that they need to accomplish their school work on our computers, and
complete all task assigned by supervisors in a timely manner.
-Working as a student director helped me a great deal; by allowing me to use
my creative side, leadership skills, as well as developing negotiation skills
and budgeting.
Pros
was able to do homework at work, and work and plan events with friends
Cons
low pay, short hours
Environment that provides students skills and opportunities
Student Assistant at the MBA office (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXApril 12, 2012
I learned to think and check twice before starting the assigned work. I acquired multi-task skills to increase efficiency. I also learned to always ask if I am not sure because if I made a mistake, I would have to redo everything and that would certainly consume twice as much time. My co-workers are very helpful. I want to help future student assistants with kindness just like my co-workers did. The hardest part of the job is taking care of AACSB because it is work that requires more computer skills. Checking consistency in all years takes time and patience. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with great professors and students. Talking to them helps my personal growth.
Pros
career opportunities
Cons
cheap salary for extensive work
good learning experiences
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 19, 2012
As an International Student at Lamar University, I was offered the job by the department of Industrial Engineering owing to my high score in Graduate Record Examination (G.R.E.).

I started working in the conducive environment at Lamar University in September 2011, learning a lot about hardware and software maintenance.Attitude of management was very friendly and understanding.the most Hardest part of the job was to troubleshoot the new hardware/software problems, whose solution were hard to find. but In fact this was most interesting part as well as this challenged us as a team to think and search the solution of the problem in a different way. Thus increasing my imagination and creativity.
Pros
fixed income
Experiment gained working as a student assistant
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont,TexasAugust 17, 2014
As a student assistant I had to help my professor in various ways,like I had to invigilate their examinations,solve their queries regarding the course,update them with any additional materials included in syllabus etc.I have learnt a lot working as an assistant because I believe we can gain knowledge and experience if had a variety of people around us.But it was also tough to cope up with them as they were from different background but I found it challenging as well as interesting.
Pros
learnt new things
Cons
people from different background had different views of things that sometimes was uncomfortable.
Fun with students n learning new laboratory skills n practical everytime
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 27, 2016
It was very great experienced working in laboratory in my department every-time learning new lab skills from students and professors .i was able to work on time so i learned a lot new things from my lab manager and teachers.my co-workers are very good in co-operative nature.sometimes learning new equipment is very hardest part for me .The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new apparatus n equipment and also learning new skills from teachers.
Pros
free lunche n coffee
Cons
short break
Good job and good atomoshpere.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 28, 2013
I was promoted to this position as an Accountant once I graduated and obtained my degree. I enjoyed the job but was more of an administrative assitant than an accountant. I would have stayed with this job but I took an offer from LIT that I believed would allow me to obtain more accounting experience.

I dealt with students daily who were in the Academic Partnership program and were in the process of obtaining there Masters Degrees in education.
Pros
great work environment.
Cons
wasn't able to grow in the job or progress.
a nice university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 5, 2014
The education has given me the abilities
 Dynamic & steady state modeling (Aspen, HYSYS, ProII, Matlab and gPROMS) for industrial operation, environment impact assessment, economic analysis and operation safety.
 Large scale global optimization algorithm development
 Synthesis of energy & water systems and microscale process synthesis
 Planning, and scheduling
 Enterprise-wide optimization
 Data mining and application of ICTs / large scale computation
Fun and time consuming
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 8, 2012
A typical day at work involved running errands, copying, filing, faxing, maintaining sevral data bases, taking and delivering mail, anwsering phones, greeting guest, and much more! The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to travel and work with the football department. I loved attending the games and the rush of making sure everything happend smoothly before kick-off!
Pros
free travel, benefits, and fun
Cons
lack of hrs after season
Graduate Student Assistant - Great place to work and study
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TX 77710May 7, 2014
I was happy to work as graduate student assistant while studying in same university. I was very interesting time. I helped undergraduates in Math Lab, conducted help sessions in calculus I, II and III classes and worked on a research under the title “Comparing PCA, SVD, and NMF on USA Mortality Data” using R Statistical package. All of employes are in Lamar, very nice and willing to help as I did.
College of Educational Leadership and Administration
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Lamar University is part of the Texas University System As an online adjunct instructor, I am responsible for providing quality education and instruction through well prepared classes, relevant assignments with fair and holistic assessment of studies, documents, and Internships.
Pros
Detailed and prompt responses to questions from faculty and students
Accomadating environment
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 25, 2014
Working for the university I attended was satisfying, my supervisor was accommodating and she would always take into consideration my academic schedule before creating the work schedule for the upcoming semester. She was understanding and respected that I was a student first and her employee second. For that I am very grateful.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
pay was once a month.
Senior Project member
Senior Project Member (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 9, 2012
Working as a senior project member helped me further advance my career, as well as have a small taste of the real life projects found in real life. We helped optimize the university thesis processing, and transferred the International Student Office's paperwork online; saving money for the university. Excellent job.
Pros
experience while in school
Cons
time consuming
Lab instructor
Student Assistant for General Studies (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 14, 2014
Lab instructor for Introduction to Physical Geology course. Instructed labs over mineral identification, formation of the three rock types, map contouring, and karst topography. Provided additional assistance to students in need. Provided timely feedback and grades to guarantee students would have the best chance at success in the class.
productive and proactive work environment
Graduate Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 9, 2015
Start the day with well prepared lectures, organize daily assignments, and make sure students are on top of weekly assignments. I learned to be more organized and to be punctual everyday. The most difficult part of the job was having to fail students who did not want to do the work but for the most part the job was very inspiring.
this is a organization that organized by the professor and company. all the students would have a conference in this organization periodically.
Member of Accounting Society (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXApril 12, 2013
conference-----.To know more Knowledge about the CPA exam. this is just a kind of organization that put all the people who are in the accounting area. i have been enjoy all the conversation with those student who already had a job.
Teaching student to conduct experiments well, Researching on your theisis
Research and teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXOctober 4, 2015
A typical day at work is busy and the professors serve as guides to Assistants. Students give a lot of misguided troubles. the most enjoyable part is to be part of the team that help to bring up students and to groom them for a better future
Pros
free Parties or Lunches
Cons
low pay, Long experiments
Desk job with a wonderful work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 3, 2015
I had a wonderful time as an office assistant for the Department of Communication. Great work environment with wonderful management. I loved taking care of all of the professor's and student's needs.
Pros
Positive work environment.
Cons
Often times I would finish the work too fast and would find myself lacking direction.
• Software: MATLAB| ModelSim| Microwind| MultiSim| Simulink| Visual Studio| Keil uVision| SolidWorks| CCS| ECAD| C/C++| Embedded C| Assembly Language|
Research asst (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 14, 2014
• Electric/Electronic instruments: Development Boards| Multimeter| Stepper motor| Induction motor| Oscilloscope| Signal generator| Transformers| Op-Amp| Starters| AC-DC DC-AC and DC-DC Converters| Sensors and Actuators.
Lamar University
Student worker (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 29, 2011
I worked as a student worker for two departments at LU over the course of three and a half years. Overall, my experiences were positive. Management ranged from competent to completely disordered. Therefore, I can't say that being a student worker at LU is the greatest job in the world, but it gave me some extra cash while earning my degree.
Lamar
Lamar University Intramurals (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 22, 2012
This job worked best especially if you are taking college course. They strive to work around the classes and provide further assistance for study groups. I was able to learn about SO many different type of sports and got the opportunity to even participate.
Pros
free access to gym
Cons
only could 20 hours a week/paid once a month

4.5