Lamar University Employee Reviews

Able to learn a lot by working at Lamar University
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 25, 2017
I worked as a Graduate Teaching Assistant for Big Data Warehouse in Lamar University Computer Science department.
Assist the professor in grading the course assignments and projects. Guiding both the undergrads and graduate students in their data warehouse labs. Helped the students in writing different SQL queries by combining different tables on the database that they have created for getting the desired result.
i love this company also
security officer (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 25, 2017
this one one of the best jobs i had,they are really loving caring people and make u feel like you are at home,i wish my car would have never broke i would have still been their
Safe Work Place
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 19, 2017
In general I loved this job and would go back I would just need more pay. I would recommend this job to anyone. A typical day when I was working there was easy, the students was friendly. I enjoyed getting to meet them, learn them, and differently loved how they felt safe enough to let me know if there was any kind of problem in any dorm hall.
Great part time work for the top of the top events in charity and college sport events.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 13, 2017
Lamar's bartenders are paid well, and tipped well. We are to dress the part because we do everything from bartend at Grand Balls, with the higher society there to pay for charity in the form of a very expensive plate of food (Spectacular to watch!), and in the reserved boxes over college sporting events. A very fun and entertaining job.
Pros
Great Pay & People
Cons
Part Time
A good place to work
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 10, 2017
It is a good place to interact with students and collaborate with many other researchers.
The University is a little bit isolate, while it is a good place for teaching and research.
Summer at Beaumont is very humid and hot.
Great place to work and learn
Client Computing Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 9, 2017
Interesting environment interacting with students, faculty, staff and administration. Lots of scenic places to take breaks and lunch. One of my favorite aspects of working there is the opportunity to meet friendly people and if you take walks during lunch and breaks there are almost unlimited routes you can take just walking around campus. It truly is like working for a small community.

The biggest challenge is particularly at the beginning of the Fall semester that is the busiest time for everyone at the university regardless of position. In my role after the first week or two of the semester that begins to level off and you settle into a steady flow.
productive
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 4, 2017
worked in lamar instructional design unit. had great fun and learning experience with my team.never felt to be submissive.my team made each work so easy to me that build up my confidence.
Very flexible
faculty, and staff (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 12, 2017
Working here was very flexible with my school schedule. The job is very easy and the supervisor's are very laid back. I would defiantly suggest someone to work here.
Great Environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 6, 2017
Working for the university was a great experience and great for my resume being an accredited school. The pay is great for a college student and allows for study time.
Great learning environment
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 5, 2017
The core curriculum is diversified in a way that you get a taste of many subjects. I believe as an American adult you become fairly well rounded. It was a great experience.
Friendly nature
Student Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 5, 2017
Learned about lab working environment and how to perform some procedures and handling equipment, How to manage a lab .
How to do inventory of the chemicals.
Manageable
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 3, 2017
Hard to really advance. A lot of the Security quit throughout the year. I like it to an extent and would work there again if i had to. It get better with time and requires acclimation to the job.
college job
Building Attendant and School Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 3, 2017
Its a job.....thaaaaattttss about it. I was a building attendant in the rec center. I love sports so it was fun being around basketballs and weights banging around. Low pay though.
Productive and energetic work place
RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 30, 2017
Overall, i have learned how to create fun activities and network that will soon help me in the near future. I loved meeting and assisting new people. The management was very strict yet accommodating to all of us college students. My favorite part about this job, was meeting people who will continue to be there for me as well as everyone else. Most importantly, I had an amazing time. Putting on programs and just assisting other students in any way possible made my time worth while.
Pros
Free gym membership
good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 28, 2017
Lamar staff is very helpful and patient. Made me feel at ease. Helped me to understand what I was to expect and how to navigate the online courses. I truly appreciate their kindness. It felt genuine, not like they were just doing their job.
Great for people with families
Student Services Assistant Sr (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 28, 2017
The records department was very understanding of home life situations and allowing time off. Fun atmosphere, peaceful work environment and lots of interaction helping students.
Pros
Great benefits, laid back, great schedule
Cons
Low pay
could be a good place to work at
Recruiting coordinator / Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 22, 2017
depends on the department where one works.
overall as the university- nice school;
athletics department- needs new management/leadership.
location- not the best to attract people to relocate;
overall compensation - on the lower side, but cost of living is cheap.
Pros
great benefits- free healthcare! also good retirement assistance.
Cons
tuition assistance for employees could be better
Team orientated work environment
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 22, 2017
- Director of programs
- Requires a lot of self management. You must develop programs based off an appropriated university budget.
- Programs must suit a principled code and requirement.
Exciting Opportunity to work in mixed culture help students and staff
Student Assistant at IT Micro-computer support (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 7, 2017
Assisted Faculty, staff and students with password reset, email setup and wireless on personal devices.Troubleshooting lab PC’s based on university documentation, created tickets and escalate to technical support for resolution. Maintain, track tickets and creates reports of system utilization for management Performed maintenance on printers and computers and cleared print queues

I have learned how to work in a mixed culture, how to provide good customer relation, management was so caring about our education and valuable times, we were doing our maximum to provide the best service i can do.
My hardest part was how to manage tough time with multitasking during exam times, when 3 to 4 printers not working. and the best part is we will split the job in between and resolve it as a team effort.
Pros
Online schedule management, allowed to do assignment when there is no rush
Cons
Not allowd to work more than 17hr/week
High hours at inconvenient times
Intramural Official (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 7, 2017
-Usually work from 4 to 9 on weekdays
-I learned about working with people my age and older and how to balance out work with school
-Great supervisors
-the hardest par of working was trying to get peers to understand the rules
-the fun parts of work were the staff meetings and training days