Lamar University Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Band Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 24, 2017
This was for a summer band camp, we escorted students to and from musical rehearsals. Made sure they were fed and got to and from their rooms safely.
Pros
Free lunches
Freedom, Humanity, and Love
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 21, 2017
This world is a place of opportunity to some people and obstacle to others. To me neither is semantic. Clearly, the world is a great illusion. Honestly speaking, I am disillusioned from the mundane gamble. And 'FREEDOM is life' is my realization.
Good place to work on part-time.
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 13, 2017
I have worked part-time on a contract base while being student at L.U. They gave training for few days. People are really supportive. I have really enjoyed my work.
Helpful to the one looking for part time job
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 13, 2017
Friendly working area. Worked only for few hours as a part of college. Interaction with multi culture people. Learn to be more ethical and improved communication skills.
Great flexibility and people, but bad compensation
STARS Tutor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 10, 2017
The environment is great, but the pay and benefits are lacking. Many training sessions are required depending on the job position and you must be willing to be available at most times.
Great Student Job
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  General StudiesJanuary 21, 2017
This job is great for students looking for a job, especially those who leave on or near campus and do not have transportation. The work environment is a friendly one. The position is one that will keep you busy and provide you with an opportunity to enhance your communication and teamwork skills. Although you are busy during peak times you may also have time to work on school work. the job is flexible and works to make sure your schooling comes first.
Productive and creative learning environment.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 30, 2016
A typical day of a Organic lab starts well ahead with my prepartation for the lab. I used to go through all the contents of the lab, understand them and used to think of all the reasons for the procedure in the experiment. I used to watch the students do the lab and when they come up with any questions about the lab, I used to answer them. Coming to the stock room job, I used to prepare all dilutions and standardize them. It was really fun measuring with beakers and volumetric flasks and standardizing them using titrimetric anaysis,
Pros
free and flexible working hours.
Cons
Needs a lot of patience.
State Government
Director of Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 17, 2016
Currently enjoying the very good retirement benefits. I enjoyed the view at Lamar University better than working in a chemical plant.
Developed professional Educational university
Engineering Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 11, 2016
The environment is great and very safe. All of the students and staff are very friendly and willing to help in any way. There is always advising available for anyone that has any questions about their classes, schedules, or anything. Classes can be a bit tough but seeing your professors when they can to ask them questions is always helpful and they will make it easier for you to understand. Studying very hard is definitely required to be as successful as possible. There are always different event going on around campus for students to interact and get involved as well as to relax their minds for a while. Lamar is a great college.
Ok
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 2, 2016
Good work environment

I would suggest to others

Good management within athletic department

Helpful employers and employees

Good university setting
Work experience at Lamar
International Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  International Student ServicesNovember 29, 2016
I have worked at Lamar University International Student Services for almost a year. It has been very good experience to be in the office help all students from different countries. Work environment is challenging as there is always something complicated waiting for you to solve.

Overall I am glad that I was offered an opportunity to work there and learn how to deal with the time sensitive tasks being patient.
Productive and Innovative
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 29, 2016
Helped me to learn a lot of things which are in a way improved mt skill and ability to think and work.
Everyday challenges in lab are more interesting
Fun Workplace
Graduate Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 28, 2016
Working at Lamar was a great experience, my supervising professor was so supportive and got to learn a lot of new things, not only the technical part but learned about overall team management, project management as well.
Excellent mentors
Health Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 20, 2016
Excellent professional mentors. They are tough because they care about your success and your future. I would recommend this position for anyone who wants to teach at the university level.
Productive - fun workplace
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 14, 2016
I have learned quite a bit at this employer. Great co-workers and awesome management. Supervisors are helpful and flexible. Working with students was by far best part of the job. Unfortunately, not a whole lot of room for advancement.
Pros
free insurance
Cons
no room for advancement
very good university and department for on campus job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont TexasNovember 12, 2016
I am student here working as research assistant for my department.
all professors and employees are very supportive.
Department always encourage students on research work.
Hectic sessions
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 2, 2016
A typical day consisted of maintaining personal cash drawer, reviewing and discussing student financial accounts, applying payments, removing holds from student accounts and general office duties. I worked in a small department with 5 other ladies who had very different personalities, but we worked very well together. The Cashier Office of a university can be a bit overwhelming at times, especially around registration time. There were brief moments of peace and those were truly cherished. The hardest part of this job was explaining to students why there was still an outstanding balance on their accounts after payments were made. It's hard for people to understand how accounting is done and payments are applied to their account when they are not the ones actually managing it. The things I enjoyed most about this job was the perk of working for the state, we were paid monthly and had certain holidays off, we could wear jeans to work everyday, able to work overtime during semester registration and the school spirit during Homecoming week.
Pros
wear jeans everyday
Cons
stressful semester registration
Productive and rewarding work place
Testing Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXOctober 17, 2016
A typical day in the CRMA Lab at Lamar University starts with the door open and ready to serve the students and faculty of this department. My duties include, but not limited to disarming the alarm system, turn on computers, making sure the rooms are prepared for classes, Dbase is running, tests are available and ready to administer to the students. I enjoy meeting and greeting both faculty and students. My duties include administering tests, monitor student assistants and testing room, directing students to appropriate offices, providing program information, counseling students, answering the telephone, making copies, and assisting instructors. My co-workers are like my family. We possess great working relationships as team players. The hardest part of my job is reporting students who cheat. The most enjoyable part of the job is creating a plan to help struggling students push through and pass their course.
Pros
We enjoy our down time together.
Cons
Not enough programs set in place to help our students.
Great undergraduate experience
STAIRSTEP student researcher (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXOctober 7, 2016
Being a member of the STAIRSTEP research team has been a great learning experience. It has allowed me to have two abstracts published, practice real coding skills, attend and present my research at various conferences.
Good Place to learn knowledge about Education
Chinese Instructor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Professors in Lamar University are willing to help you to enhance your teaching skills and educational thinking. It is a place where emphasizes theories and practical training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lamar University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5