Lancaster General Hospital

Lancaster General Hospital Employee Reviews

Lancaster General Health
Insurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 7, 2016
My typical day at LGH was 8-4:30. I worked in an insurance department and enjoyed by job very much. A new manager made the job less enjoyable and I decided to leave to further my career. I liked most of the managers although there were a few who tended to bully weaker coworkers. The hardest part of my job was trying to please upper management when I didn't feel they understood exactly what my job was. I was hired before my manager was present. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with some really great ladies.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
micromanagment
Great place o work
Scrub Tech (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 11, 2016
Always loved working there. Was there 18 years and hated to leave. Staff was great and also pay. Miss it!!! If I still lived in Lancaster I would go back. Was treated fairly and lots of room for growth. Raises were fair and gave you the incentive to do better.
Pros
Happy atmosphere
Cons
Actually none
Terrible department
Cook (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 21, 2016
DO NOT work in the kitchen or cafeteria. The management is terrible. They do not care about their employees. Food service is managed by a third party company (Morrison) and they have no respect for LGH employees. There is barely any room to move up since we are managed by another company. I pick up shifts ALL the time, and they still treat me terrible. Once you start going above and beyond, they start expecting you to keep doing it and if you don't they write you up. The retail manager does everything in her power to not let you transfer and barely works with people's schedules. Please run from this department.
A lot of benefits, great management
Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 2, 2016
Working with patients that are admitted in the hospital can be emotional and difficult. It is a great company with a great benefit package but not fair pay. My manager is great and understanding and supportive. My coworkers have been there for years and after a certain amount of time you can transfer to a different department.
Pros
Benefits, amenities of being an employee
Cons
Low pay, too emotional for some
Horrible.
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 30, 2016
Management makes this a horrible place to work. Housekeepers here are overworked and never taken into consideration.
A full time employee for housekeeping has off once a week and every other weekend and when you try to take PTB (paid time bank) day it never gets approved even though you work to accumulate those hours so they are there if you should need them, you only get off and get to do what ever you want if you are a team leader or supervisor and they don't do anything, expect to carry their weight 100% of the time an if you don't trust that disaplinary measures will be taken.
Those who are in charge do not deserve to be.
If you work in your position a year or more they say you can transfer to another department but that's not true at all, for example if you apply to become a patient care assistant (ptca) your current manager can hold you for up to 30 days and if the manager of the other department does not want to wait they are not required to.
LGH goes through housekeepers like dirty underwear I have worked here for 1 year an 7 Months an I can not tell you how many people have gotten hired and left within that same day or have stayed for less than 2-4 months just cause it's a horrible an unfair department and if your understaffed an you try to transfer out they will most definitely hold you for those 30 days.
LGH feels that since they provide you good benefits, and somewhat decent pay they can treat you an over work you whenever they please. I'm not complaining I love overtime but it's ridiculous working here. Every day it's always something with this company.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
no time off, unfair work environment, favorites are picked, easily written up no matter how many times you save managements butt
learning opportunities, cultural diversity, good team to work with worked as GN
Graduate Nurse, Med (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 27, 2016
clean environment, good benefits, patient and cultural diversity, good peers, supportive supervisor, promoted learning, poor flexibility worked as GN and then returned to school for BSN
Pros
peers, clean, leaning availability, management opportunity
Cons
poor flexibility
Excellent Place to work
Clinical Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 31, 2016
I love working for LGH it has been the best job ever. I have a great support system with my coworkers and management. I have been established here for 15 years.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Worst Job by far
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 3, 2016
I have heard for a long time that it didn't used to be like this but now working here is awful people are rude and tear each other down for no reason moral is so low I have yet to find a single person who enjoys it here no one cares about your accomplishments but if you make even the smallest mistake they will tear you apart budgets are being cut all over this hospital so one person is left doing the work of several while being payed less than any hospital in the area they do not care about you as a person here you are a peon
Pros
Excellent health benefits
Cons
You are a cog in a machine nothing more
Good Job
PC Tech II (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 31, 2017
Nice work place, well organized, nice lunch room, good working hours, people were friendly and helpful management was nice also training on the job was good as well.
Pros
Good co-workers
Impersonal Workplace
Patient Access Representative III (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 30, 2016
It's healthcare so there is always some form of disorganization, the Emergency Department was no exception at the time. In the patient access area the management was not exceptional. No one truly cared about you other than as an employee there to do a job. You were truly only looked at for wrong doings and not things you did well. You were always asked to work extra and cover shifts. It was basically impossible to get day-shift there, its all about seniority. They absolutely choose favorites. All of these things being reasons why I left. Between nursing departments and doctors, there is clear segregation and cliques which makes no ones feel good unless you have an "in". Unless you make friends, working in the Emergency Department is terrible.
Lancaster General
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 24, 2016
I like my job but I think the management of the housekeeping department can do a better job of taking charge and caring about their employees and do things with common sense. Also taking other people's ideas into consideration.
Helping Patients
PATIENT CARE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PA 17602January 20, 2017
The year that I had working at LGH was the best experience I had. Helping patients with their needs and the team work that my unit provided was the best. Being able to see my patients with a smile on their face because I did something for them meant the world to me.
Pros
Good team work
work day
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 18, 2017
On Going
Making sure patients are being taken care of, Providing comfort care. Tending to patients needs by helping with their hair,baths,or getting them to the bathroom. Also took care of vital signs, bladder scans, Ekgs, and taking out Iv sites.
Great learning opportunities
Lab Management (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 6, 2016
I loved working in the lab because everyday we were able to learn something new. The coworkers made work easier since everyone did their part and the workload was evenly split. I would love to return to work here if the opportunity opened up.
great job
Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 16, 2016
great job, hated the management. Food in the cafeteria is good and most people are pleasant. Worked there a long time and got very good job training.
Pros
chance for advancement
Cons
manager lacks concern for emplyees
My Heaven
Diagnostic Imaging Trainee (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 24, 2016
I love most of my coworkers, the patients are great even though they don't feel great, and the managing is great. A typical day is organizing exam orders, which there are normally no more than 20 sheets of paper. Everyone says hello, and most have smiles on their faces. You will receive phone calls about patients and you can either answer them or transfer them to someone who knows the answer. You perform x-ray exams per physician order, and someone is always there to help if you need help. I learned from my coworkers how to perform exams, what to look for such as pathologies, and what to be cautious of depending on patient conditions. I also learned a different view of life from my patients that I saw every day. The hardest part of my job is coming up to different ways to obtain the diagnostic images if the patient cannot hold a position for the exam. That may require different ways to move the x-ray tube, or more equipment, or another set of hands. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people, whether coworker or patient, and performing exams.
Laundry Department
Laundry Worker (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 26, 2016
Heavy Lifting. Poor management. Hourly rate is horrible with the amount of work needed to be done. Very hot working conditions in the summer. Lot's of employee call-offs leaving other employees to pick up the slack!
Pros
Employee perks
Cons
Everything about working in laundry!
great place to own development
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  7NSeptember 23, 2015
this is an amazing place for work, and offers good benefits, with great environment of team work and patient care for most of all things. It is a very hard job for a care giver, it takes a lot of you, long hours, heavy work, always doing something useful and your duties as well! It's a great start, it just depend on what are you looking for selfdevelopment.
Pros
Good place to learn and improve your self
Cons
Wage is not good enough for PTCAs
Would not recommend
Trauma registrar (Current Employee) –  LGHMarch 3, 2014
I am totally disappointed with my experience working at LGH. The manager that is over my department was not attentive to the going on in the department. She doesn't even want to be there to begin with. The co-workers are great but they are stressed to the max which caused a lot of stress, drama and unpleasant work environment. There's no team work and the training is minimal at best. Management and HR does not want to do anything to fix the problem. It is a shame. Knowing what I know now, I wished someone would of warned me. I felt I wasted time in the position that I am in. I never felt appreciated and only heard the negativity in the department.
Pros
only pro... benefits but they also come with a price!!
Cons
No breaks, lunches, negative work environment, no guidance, management is horrible and there is plenty more.....
Enjoyed working for this company.
LPN bridge program for RN degree. (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 10, 2016
Worked as an LPN with supplemental staff and was able to learn a great deal clinically on the floor with RN's who nurture you. Loved being able to increase skill and knowledge while there.
Pros
Excellent for increasing expirience and knowledge.
Cons
Difficult to continue as changes to the facility made it hard to continue to work there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lancaster General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Lancaster General Hospital Reviews by Location