Landstar Employee Reviews

Commission job
Agent/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Urbana, MOJanuary 14, 2018
Enjoy working for Landstar, main complaint is that you are at the whim of drivers. The more loads you post the better odds of finding a driver for one of them. Paid on commission and that depends on the size of the load. No benefits
Pros
You set your hours
Cons
No benefits
Good company for a owner operator
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 8, 2018
One of the best companies for a owner operator. At least you get to decide what freight you haul and for how much. I think the benfit of Landstar is that its all owner operators. No companies driver to compete with. Your treated like a business partner not some employee.
Pros
Choices on loads and your freight lanes
Cons
Some cheap freight, contractor so no benefits
I really like the fast-paced work.
Freight Broker Agent (Current Employee) –  FloridaDecember 29, 2017
I was very pleased working at Landstar. The hours are normal and the pay is exceptional. I would never leave a job at Landstar because of the benefits.
Pros
The pay is great
Cons
Lots of pressure
Owner Operator Company
Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 26, 2017
Made Money and spent quality time with my Husband. We owned our truck and it was great while it lasted. Unfortunately He died in July and I do not want to be OTR alone.
Pros
Money to be made
Cons
Away from home
Fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 6, 2017
Great company ,great benefits and good people , fast paced environment ...Gotta be able to keep up and be consistent . Come to work with a postive attitude and everything will go smooth..
Pros
Good money
Cons
Very stressful place to work
Invoice Auditor / Biller (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 25, 2017
Landstar was a very stressful job. I didn't feel as though I was paid enough money and I believe I was nor allowed to advance within the company. I also though my managers lacked leadership ability.
Pros
I learned how the transportation industry works and I met new people
Cons
highly stressful job, low pay, lack of leadership in reference to management.
lots of freedon
OTR Owner/Operator Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 19, 2017
I enjoyed all of the freedom that they gave the drivers.
They were there if you had questions, to help the drivers.
I was self-employed working there so you are responsible for all your taxes though.
Good Trucking Compamy
Commercial Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2017
They had a wide selection to choose from on the load board. great company for owner operators. Give owner operators a 70-30 split if you own your equipment
Fast pace work enviroment
Document Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 30, 2017
I am looking for employment else where because Landstar does not pay very well. Management is good but could work on better communication with the staff.
Great company to work for!Very busy you need to know
BCO (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 26, 2017
The art of negotiation. Every load YOU get you get to negotiate so sharpen up on those skills. Build relationships with those agent's everyday and surely you will see$$$. Do not take detention pay have the agent break it up in unloading/loading or any other code you only get paid on detention when the customer pays 1month to 2 months down the road. Allways got paid never got stiffed. Above all don't violate safety rules safety doesn't play.
Pros
Negotiating every load you get.
Cons
No Healthcare
Made friends is about it.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 26, 2017
Made some good friends is about it. Low pay grade depending on department your in. Management is poor and always changing rules/regulations and turns out to be a cluster even when managers try to explain what's going on when they don't even know what's going on.
Babboons could run a company better
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 1, 2017
Management there is horrible from the top down. The only reason most of those bunch of idiots are in a management role, is because they outlasted other employees who left and got better jobs. Many have no college and nothing more than a high school education, even up to the VP level. I have never seen a more cut-throat place in all of my years in business.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
great owner operator place
OWNER OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 25, 2017
great place to be independent great loads at your own pace a lot of freedom and as much hometime as you want no forced dispatch really great system they have at landstar to help you be successful.
input owner/opperator papperwork into the system for payment
Data Entry Tech (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 11, 2017
we did several hundred trip packets a day and our day didn't end until the last packet was entered. we also kept track of trip logs they used for there trips on hours driven.
Pros
a friendly enviroment
Cons
pay could be better
BCO for LandStar
Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 31, 2017
I was a BCO AKA owner operator truck driver. LandStar has great people working for them. You are your own boss as a BCO deciding your own loads and scheduling within the needs of the customers. But your days off are on your schedule for the most part. Although LandStar wants to see a minimal load acceptance to justify keeping a assigned trailer. Your paid percentage of load.
Pros
Good support, safe company dedicated to safety first
Cons
Some loads pay poorly in some markets, must be self starter to succeed
Great place to work for owner operator.
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FloridaAugust 29, 2017
i enjoyed
working at landstar as an owner operator enjoyed my time over the road and seeing the world, down fall was being away from my family. Would recommend Landstar to anyone it was a great place to work.
Don't do it
Owner Op (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 26, 2017
Non nonchalant. U get run around. Monopolize freight. Its a joke hype you up to let u and pockets down. Do not go there for your kids and family well being. Unfair "system". Spare yourself the agony or end up in homeless shelter.All bad.

No revenue. Cant get loads. U get leftovers and bad loads. Finances going down.Terrible. Buddy system your work ethics dont matter all good freight goes to their current driver. Get prepared to sink in a hole.Dooooon't do it.

Trying 2 save u
You are truly an independent contractor here.
Independent Contractor/Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 11, 2017
Getting up and reviewing the load board for some decent paying freight. I learned that most of the freight on the load boards didn't really compensate the OTR independent contractor. They know you are out away from home with your tractor and looking to earn some real money for doing so. But in the end if those loads aren't paying atleast $2.80/mile is it really worth being away from home with a tractor that can be very expensive to fix depending on where it decides to give you problems. Management is virtually non existent. Workplace culture is next to none because you are OTR most of the time and very rarely do you go through a terminal. The hardest part of the job is looking at the load boards that pay next to nothing. Every once in a while you will find a decent paying run that you will be able to book would be the most enjoyable part of the job. But it doesn't happen very often.
Pros
If you truly want to be an independent contractor you have arrived.
Cons
Just about everything.
Boot camp
Data Entry Specialist/Imaging (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 22, 2017
The position as a data/entry imaging clerk..is awful..they have you working on these old dated scanners and expect miracles.
The manager there is a big time Micro-manager. She screams and nit pick over the minor things.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, manager bi-polar, outdated scanners
a work place
intermodal payable specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 30, 2017
Pay vendor via as400 .. Approving with the proper back up paper work Open mail and distribute to appropriate areas. Setup new vendor in Express Handle incoming phone call payment inquirer. Open and sort incoming mail. I am responsible for the Streamline account in as400.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Landstar. Our community is ready to answer.