Lane Community College

Lane Community College Employer Reviews

Wonderful blend of student requirements and community needs.
Dental Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee), Eugene, ORJuly 24, 2014
Pros: interaction with clinical staff, partnering organizations, students and clients
Cons: limited hours available
LCC is a wonderful campus full of innovation and invention. The dental clinic building was in need of repair that has now been completed. This outreach program benefits both the students learning environment and the community at large.
Adjunct Math instructor
Adjunct Professor, Mathematics (Current Employee), Eugene, ORJuly 14, 2014
Pros: great experience with administration, classified, and fellow instructors
Cons: adjunct position is temporary and based on department needs and not performance
Instructor from March 2011 and am technically an instructor now. On an individual basis Lane Community College was one of the best places I have worked with, all of my needs were met immediately and I felt it was done effectively and always valued me. However, when enrollment declined dramatically it quickly became apparent that my role with them was – more... temporary with little interest in me serving in another capacity. Work is given based on seniority and since I cannot obtain work due to low enrollment it is extremely unlikely that I will be able to acquire more work from them. – less
Productive and Inspiring place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee), Eugene, ORJuly 9, 2014
Working in the Woman Center was a life changing experience. The atmosphere is so supportive. Being a woman myself, there is nothing more soul satisfying then being able to guide, support, and inspire other woman to get to their goals and dreams. Loved working in this facility.
Excellent co-workers, relaxed atmosphere.
Administrative Support Specialist (Current Employee), Eugene, ORFebruary 25, 2014
I take notes for students with disabilities and proctor exams.
It is an enjoyable job and I enjoy the students that I help.
This was work during student registration only.
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Eugene, ORDecember 9, 2013
Pros: free class at the college per term worked.
Cons: not enough work and low wage.
Many hours doing the same thing. Co-workers were good and management was good. Only a couple of weeks work each term. Minimum wage but a free class per term worked.
Temporary Position: Internship
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee), Eugene, ORAugust 24, 2013
Pros: learn tons of new information
Cons: fractured technology + siloed information = departmental breakdown
Most days were spent addressing customer tickets regarding the web services the school offered. We were mostly servicing internal-facing customers such as instructors and students.
Good place to work for
Office Support Specialist (Former Employee), Eugene, ORJune 12, 2013
This is a good place to work for. Enjoyed my time there. Know many people that work there.
Enjoyable place to work for.
Assistant to Director, and Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Eugene, ORApril 16, 2013
A typical day at work was busy, but enjoyable. Co-workers, and staff we a pleasure to work with. I enjoyed working with children, and being able to be there for them throughout the day.
Simplicity
IT tutor (Former Employee), Eugene, ORApril 12, 2013
Pros: being able to do homework while at work
Cons: 20 hours max a week. minimum wage
A typical day at work lasted about 5 hours. Most of my time was used fixing and troubleshooting computers. There weren't many IT students to tutor, although there were a few. I learned a lot about working with all different types of people, it was a small office environment so there was a lot of interaction. All of my co-workers were very nice enthusiastic – more... people that loved to help others learn. I find this is a very common trait in those that teach. It gives you a great deal of satisfaction knowing that you eased another's frustration. It has meaning, at least to me.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping someone with a problem. The second most enjoyable part was configuring and maintaining their hardware. I was their go-to guy for this. If it wasn't something I could do, I would have my supervisor for my internship come and do it (I wasn't allowed tech passwords/administrative access freely). So they found me very helpful with their PC issues.

There really wasn't a hard part to the job. Sometimes I would be asked to do something that I could not possibly do due to not having free administrative access. That was frustrating. But manageable.

I learned a lot about math, my co-workers helped me a lot with it while I was working since it was a learn and earn position. I also learned from a technician standpoint that it's harder than it seems to be able to fix certain issues due to what I was able to access. This is one frustration I do have in this line of work, sometimes I find it hard to explain to someone why I cannot possibly fix some technical issues that can't be fixed (IE, fried hardware, compatibility issues, outdated systems). But when I find a workaround and help the customer , friend or family member I find it highly rewarding. Especially the ones that really rack your brain. – less
full time student
Culinary Arts Student (Former Employee), Eugene, ORApril 4, 2013
Pros: awesome students to work with
Cons: management is certain dining halls challenging
was a full time student, worked in the restruant at the lcc
culinary arts area. lead chefs were awesome teachers
which made learning easy.
Training disabled individuals
Developmental Aid (Former Employee), Eugene, ORFebruary 28, 2013
I loved working with them. My day was always different. I worked at several sites and help lots of individuals with all kinds of capabilities.
As a seasonal job, it's okay.
Food Service Specialist (Current Employee), Eugene, ORDecember 14, 2012
Pros: holiday breaks off, food compensation, flexible schedule
Cons: seasonal employment
As a seasonal worker, this is an okay job but if you're looking for advancement to a full-time (classified) position, it isn't very often that they do so. As a Food Service Specialist, I would do the following:
Cook and prepare breakfast and lunch, utilizing convection ovens, grills and flat tops, stove top burners, tilt skillets, combination steamers, – more... food warmers, service hot lines and cold lines, and other food processing tools, cleaning and sanitizing all equipment and work surfaces. – less
I have never worked at Lane Community College, but . . .
Student (Former Employee), Eugene, ORDecember 13, 2012
Pros: great instructors
Cons: some bad schedules
Although I have never worked at Lane Community College, I do notice the schedules my professors keep. They either have just a few classes, or they are over booked with odd hours of classes. They will have early morning classes and late evening classes, that spread throughout the week. I love that the instructors are there, but I feel badly for the instructors – more... because of their really oddball schedules they get. Other great teachers get one or two classes and that is it. I am sure their benefits aren't that great either, but They are great teachers, some of the best, and we are very lucky they are committed to teaching. Regardless of the schedules they are working. – less
A good place to work.
Custodian (Former Employee), Eugene, ORNovember 20, 2012
Pros: real nice/friendly people to work for.
Cons: you begin as a 1039 hr employee, after about 1039hrs either they hire you on full time status or let you go, depending if the government rep. allows or not.
It's a good place to work, but the government should allow more full time status employees., Also they charge you Union dues even if your not a member of the union.
Good Student positions
Lab Aide (Former Employee), Eugene, ORNovember 14, 2012
Pros: good jobs for students
Cons: limts your hours to 15/week., won't qualify you for food stamps and isn't much to live on if you don't have other income
I worked a few different student jobs while at LCC.. Not much to say.. basic work-study like jobs.. Will work around school schedules and there's pretty much something for everybody depending on your field of study
Fun position working with the "lower" students.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Eugene, ORJuly 1, 2012
Pros: supportive teacher and fun students.
Cons: teacher was a bit computer illiterate.
As a teacher's assistant, I worked with the students starting out the year following me, so I was able to help them with their understanding of the material. I helped to keep the course website up to date, organize field trips and helped with the material. The teacher was very supportive and kind.
Not a secure environment NOT CULTURALLY SAFE
Instructor (Former Employee), Rather not stateJune 20, 2012
Pros: good wages, benefits
Cons: unsafe, often hostile work environment for those of color, glbtq
This employer does not protect people of color
Management is not diverse
Co-workers mostly untrained culturally
Blatant racism even though they deny it and policies are written against it

August 11, 2012

I think there is something else going on to say that LCC is not protecting people of color. The school respects all students and teachers. I never, ever had a problem. All respected the minority differences. The above is simply not true of LCC! it is so much better than Northwest Christian U. and U of O. They do all they can to make you feel welcome. I think something else is going on. Don't believe it for one minute. If someone felt they were not protected, speak up!

June 4, 2013

They are kind and nice to colored people but they are not culturally nice. It's slightly different. They were nice, but they treated me as an 10 years old. For the first term, the instructor was nice and so worried about my ability to pass the program. She treated me as a cognitively impaired person. For the second term, she finally realized that I was smart but she was still worried, and she treated me as a physically impaired person. They are nice. They just think that colored people are not smart.

Lane CC is a secure place to work
HR Recruitment Analyst (Former Employee), Eugene, ORMarch 28, 2012
Higher edu is a great option for a secure workplace in tough economic times
Very nice, very receptive, great employer!
Office Specialist 1 (Former Employee), Eugene, ORMarch 17, 2012
Pros: benefits, i got pers and higher wage
Cons: it was only temporary :(
I worked as a temporary employee. I think it was one of the best places I every worked. Unfortunately, I worked there no more than eight months, no classified positions came up. I worked during the Spring Job Fair--It was a blast! Nice Supervisor and co-workers. A bit of Heaven!