Language Line Services

Language Line Services Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun workplace
Marketing and Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAOctober 14, 2013
This company offers a great work environment with good pay. the company allows growth and creativity.
Very rewarding work.
Contract Bilingual Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 26, 2013
I worked from home and had time flexibililty. Enjoyed working for the company.
It is a ball chain job.
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  San Jose CaliforniaAugust 26, 2013
I worked for what was Language Line Services for almost 3 years. Was surrounded by many qualified and intelligent interpreters that as myself, were seeing as nothing more than a number. Our pay was miserable and did not reflect what we individually knew as interpreters. Our management is is willing to do whatever possible and throw anyone under the bus to succeed at Language Line. Our president thinks that by buying coffee mugs will make us feel better. We are the money makers of that company and yet we cannot get a raise or benefits. The hardest part of the job was to be asked to go into this page and many more in the web, to be say good things about a company that has done nothing more the oppress me. The most enjoyable was getting fired for following protocol and guidelines.
Pros
became more eloquent in both languages.
Cons
everything and everyone.
I do interpretation and translation
USCIS English, Arabic Translator Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAAugust 22, 2013
I do interpretation and translation
It s very nice company , good job , good view
phone interpretation
Contractor (Former Employee) –  new orleans (headquarters in California)August 17, 2013
computerized system, able to log-in on the computer and start receiving calls. Landline required, extensive training with a language test at the end (the language you are interpreting to & from). Fast paced.
I am so grateful to this company for giving me my start as a Spanish interpreter.
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande ValleyAugust 12, 2013
With Language Line Services, a typical day at work was BUSY. There was non stop calls coming in and my voice was shot by the end of the day. Regardless, I know them keeping me busy meant I had a job. They were the company who gave me the opportunity to start working as a interpreter and for that I will always be grateful.
the worst company
Russian Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2013
Unprofessional management. Low wages. The service is not beneficial for the customer. Bad reputation among interpreters.
Great Company
Spanish-English Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Manassas , VirginiaJune 21, 2013
Good work environment.,Learned so many new words. hardest part of the job is when you hear a new word and dont know the correct translation of it.
Worst company to work for
Student (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 14, 2013
This is just another one of those revolving door companies. They will treat you like dirt and spit you out! Well, if you like being mistreated, fine, but you always pay.
Cons
you will feel like you are nothing.

Comment – May 28, 2013

Couldn't agree more!!!

Worst interpreting company to work for
Telephonic Interpreter (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 10, 2013
I worked for them for a while; it was terrible. Most of the time the phone doesnt ring for hours and of course you only get paid for minutes you spend interpreting. You waste a whole day sitting by the phone and you make nothing. Once a call comes in they route it to their favorites; dont ever get on their "bad side". Management is a nightmare to deal with, communcation with them is shady; they never get back to you only if they need to tell you something. The operators are rude and clueless; all of them with very heavy accents, most of them don't even speak English properly and cant understand you when you need them to dial out a simple number for you...must be minimum wage employees or from the street...
The software they use, the LLS Intranet is also a nightmare, buggy as heck; never works right, always down, caught them many times short paying me for not accurate minutes; some of my calls didnt even show up on the Intranet record, I had call and complain and it took hours, days to sort it out...
Overall they don't care about you; quality interpreters dont last long here and therefore their turn over is super high. I have nothing good of positive to say about this company.
Cons
to many to list
You get to pick your own hours
Telephonic Language Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAMay 8, 2013
The positive thing with this company and my position is that I get to pick my own hours. This allows me to spend time with my children creating a great work/live balance. Otherwise the contract position offers no benefits and in the four years I have been with the company, I have never received a performance review or a pay increment.
Learned much
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CaliforniaApril 29, 2013
Learned much from working here.
Diversity in culture, multi task, perfected my listening and Interpreting skills
Worst company ever.
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  MontereyMarch 1, 2013
From a personal experience this was the worst company to ever cross my career path as an interpreter. They pay minimum wage regardless of one's education or experience (that doesn't seem to matter). This company bought out the agency that I was working for. We received a video via e-mail asking us to stay aboard and that nothing would change.......well, it changed my life. A few months later, my wages were cut in less than half and then to minimum wage wanting me to commit to 25 hours per week! I couldn't do it. My impression is that all that matters to them is that one works for cheap and nothing else. Furthermore, when other prospect employers have tried to confirm that I was an employee of the company, Language Line never confirmed with them either way. I tried to obtain a letter of recommendation and I was told that the company does not give those to previous employees. I have spoken in person to Language Line representatives telling me that someone would get back to me and no one ever did. Every time I see the title "Language Line", I think of a nightmare.
Cons
see below

Comment – March 21, 2013

I am very surprised to read your review. The company pays minimum wage when you are not on the call, when interpreting it's per minute, which comes up to very good penny. To be honest with you I think we actually get overpaid. I like the part where we have to commit to so many hours, this way I know my paycheck would be for certain amount of hours for sure!

Interpretation
Phone Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAFebruary 14, 2013
Interpret for the following fields but not limited to: Financial, Insurance, Healthcare, Government, Telecom, Utilities, Manufacturing and Transportation.
By far the worst and the stingiest company ever!!!
interpreter (Former Employee) –  monterey, CAFebruary 8, 2013
The company takes advantage of qualified interpreters. That's why truly qualified interpreters or the ones who's become qualified don't stay in the company. The company is just a stepping stone. Nobody would work for such a low wage and no benefits.
Perhaps the upper management is so busy with stuffing their pockets that they don't even once care about even only one day of their employees' sick leave.
Pros
working from home
Cons
no benefits, no off days, not even a sick day off, low wage
It is a great and legit work at home jobs.
Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee) –  United StatesDecember 13, 2012
You work from home a minimum of 20 hours. All you need is a phone line that you are paid for and if you have it internet is nice if not no worries. There is little to no supervisor and when you need them they are there to help you and are very understanding.
Pros
work from home no commuting
Cons
part time gets no paid vacations just excused time off

Comment – May 28, 2013

No internet no worries? How did you do the training without internet? How do you log on an off daily without internet? How do you Access your hours without internet? How do you Schedule time off thru 360 without internet? Cut the BS you totally need internet yet there is no reimbursement for that. And what's with the line about supervisors being there to help when you need them and are understanding? You must be a drone, you have been successfully programmed by LLS H.R. department and are ready to go make inaccurate and phony baloney internet posts praising the company. Carry on.

It is one of the most prestigious organization in the translation field. Very pleasant atmosphere.
Over-the-Phone Customer Agent (Former Employee) –  The Dominican RepublicNovember 5, 2012
That was kind of the perfect job for me. It was what I wanted; air conditioning, transportation, talking over the phone, and helping people. Every time I finished a call I felt realized because I had helped some one. I had made some one's life easier for a while. That was very rewarding and satisfying to me. The only thing that I did not like about the company is that they were time freak. They had like an obsession about time and, when it was about time, they did not ever care about people. Once I dislocated my right ankle and had a cast on my foot. In despite of that, I still went to work because I know how obsessed they were about time. However, my right ankle had been dislocated the previous day, so I was not able to bare the pain at work and I had to leave in the middle of the day. I let my managers know about my situation. Although they let me go, they still penalized me for leaving early. That is an example of how obsessed they were about time.
Pros
transportation, meal subsidies.
Cons
short breaks and they were time obsessed.

Comment – April 23, 2013

Interesting how you say it was the perfect job for you but, why are you a former employer?? Did they fire you or you quit?? Language Line does not care about their employees, low wages, no benefits. After 6 months you get 2 weeks of unpaid time off but, you must plan your absences in advance. If you get sick or have situations with your children you just can't take your time off, you are penalized and the penalization counts the same if you are absent your entire shift or if you have to leave 5 minutes earlier.

Educational
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILNovember 1, 2012
Typical day at work. I dispatched calls according to the language that was needed because of the language barrier between customer and thir client.
Work from home
Customer service Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Yauco,PROctober 30, 2012
I worked from home. Over the phone interpretation to different companies. Learned new medical, insurance and financial terminology. Hardest part of the job is the communication with management is only via email and the response was always delayed.
Pros
work at home
Cons
wages

Comment – November 5, 2012

what about their pay ? is it $11 an hour or is the pay related with the length and number of calls taken a day ? I mean if i dont take a call for two hours will i still be paid or not?

Interesting, educational and helpful to customers
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CASeptember 5, 2012
I worked from my home office, my typical day at work was at 6 am sharp the phone will ring non stop until my time off at 2:30 pm.
I will answered the line introducing my self as a Spanish Interpreter and asked how I can help, on the line there was the English speaking Client, can be from the IRS, Insurance Agent, Judge, Lawyer, Doctor, etc, on the other side there was the Spanish speaking customer, my job was to interpret everything in first person with clearness, accuracy and in timely manner. While either the English or Spanish speaking person was speaking, I was paying detail attention, while writing key notes and waiting for the person to finished speaking so I can go ahead and interpret. My calls range from 20 seconds to 4 hours. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people communicate comfortably, another thing that I loved was that I learned so much information about how these companies, and the government works. The communication with my co-workers was only through the company's website since it was a work from home job.
I don't have anything negative to mention about this company, the only thing I can say that it was a bit hard to handle was when the Spanish speaking person for the most part was struggling with a problem that I could not solved, because my job was only to interpret and not answered questions from customers, even though sometimes they will tried to talk to me directly and waited for an answer from me.
Pros
3 different breaks, a very busy environment, company will apply all their policies, opportunity to learn a lot, work from home.
Cons
no cons.

Comment – January 30, 2013

A few years back the company laid off most of its senior employees, those who had benefits, medical insurance and 401(K) for supposedly lack of work. In the meantime they were buying up other language companies left and right, here in the States and overseas. They will milk you dry and throw you away. Vultures. Disgusted...