Language Line Services

Language Line Services Employee Reviews

Never dull
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJuly 1, 2015
A fast paced job done in the comfort of your home. Co-workers are at their homes or at the call center.You would get 1-2 breaks depending the hours worked. It was exciting because you would not know who would call next or what situation you would have.
Pros
Picking your work schedule, helping others
Confortable job environment.
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Home addressSeptember 9, 2015
I interpret for different industries including medical, financial, insurance, court systems, Homeland Security, correction facilities, customer service and technical support.
Pros
Work from the house.
Cons
Not many incentives.
It is a ball chain job.
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  San Jose CaliforniaAugust 26, 2013
I worked for what was Language Line Services for almost 3 years. Was surrounded by many qualified and intelligent interpreters that as myself, were seeing as nothing more than a number. Our pay was miserable and did not reflect what we individually knew as interpreters. Our management is is willing to do whatever possible and throw anyone under the bus to succeed at Language Line. Our president thinks that by buying coffee mugs will make us feel better. We are the money makers of that company and yet we cannot get a raise or benefits. The hardest part of the job was to be asked to go into this page and many more in the web, to be say good things about a company that has done nothing more the oppress me. The most enjoyable was getting fired for following protocol and guidelines.
Pros
Became more eloquent in both languages.
Cons
Everything and everyone.
Fast paced very busy
Interpreter-Spanish/English (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJuly 3, 2014
The most enjoyable part of this job is that you get to speak to a great variety of industries. Never a dull moment. Love working from home. The flexibility of hours.

A typical day is answering calls non stop until breaks which are very punctual, you don't get a restroom break unless you take a SPECIAL but then you can only take so many of those until its excessive and you get warned for that. So restroom is only during breaks you have to make sure you take them, so beware if something upsets your stomach. You are reviewed every 3 months and someone takes the time to listen and let you know what you need improvement on . I love this part. We have interactive learning sessions if you are interested in learning more or improvement. Pay is minimum wage with bonus minutes. Benefits are not that great, not much coverage.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
No Holiday Pay and Unpaid Vacations
Strict supervison, minimum wage
interpreter (Former Employee) –  MAMay 15, 2012
I worked for them a few years ago, 40 hours a week, high volume of the phone calls even at night.

a lot of red tape to submit a day off, constant supervison, training, finger prints & etc.. and it is all for min. wage. With one language & no skills you can make more money, never again
Pros
work from home
Cons
very low wage
interpreter/translator
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  home baseOctober 14, 2013
I work at least 9-12 hours per day Monday to Friday and Saturday and Sunday sometimes 5-6 hours . I also work with appointment bases , most of the work will be done over the phone ,face to face interpretation is also available .
Pros
love to help people who doen't speak english.
Cons
talk to people for a long hours.
Job is a Scam, sued in California
Spanish Interpeter (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 27, 2012
This job is a scam they lie about how much you'll make per hour as per min interpreter, in order to make $14 or higher you have to be on the call 20 or longer most calls are much shorter, they don't reimburse in full for phone line, study time of glossary and were sued for that in California.
You'll be making approximately $8.00 per hour with lousy expansive benefits, don't bother ,find interpreting job that pays a living wage.

Once you choose your schedule, Impossible to change, will demand that you constantly study on your own time which is illegal they suppose to pay for everything work related, will check on you constantly, no sick time off, pay is much lower than recruiter promised. Company has extremely high employee turnover,basically a revolving door, because they don't want to pay living wage or properly train interpreters
Cons
locked into schedule, no sick time off, lie about your hourly wage
Work from home
Customer service Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Yauco,PROctober 30, 2012
I worked from home. Over the phone interpretation to different companies. Learned new medical, insurance and financial terminology. Hardest part of the job is the communication with management is only via email and the response was always delayed.
Pros
work at home
Cons
wages
it has to be your thing....
Spanish/English Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monte Rey CAOctober 21, 2013
Its a very interesting job and you have to be able to think fast, have a good memory and be precise but still go with things as they come. Only challenge in my case, was staying home all day in the same place. Long calls can be draining but you always feel good at the end
Love working from home.
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAOctober 23, 2013
On a typical day, I would be on the phone with clients and Spanish speaking people. Love the job and the co-workers, even though I didn't meet them in person. At the end of the day, I knew that I did a good job, because I helped people.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
phone lines sometimes had problems.
Great company to Work from Home
(All-Call) Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 25, 2015
Very convenient as far as saving you the commuting and working clothes expenses. However, the salary isn't great. In-person interpreters make a lot more. You really end up being mentally and sometimes emotionally drained.
Solid company
HR Coordinator (Contractor-Oasis Staffing) (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Management worked hard to place employees in roles that were comparable to their skills. The culture was lax and that sometimes reflected on the quality of employees' work.
Pros
Good managment
Cons
Culture too lax
System change causing major problems.
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2015
I enjoyed working here, but recently there has been a systerm change and I am not getting enough work for this job to be sustainable.
Talk to client, people skills.
Vietnamese Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Work ant homeDecember 21, 2013
Sale and Services is my skill, and I have learned how to be patient with the most difficult client even sometimes I make a sale with no benefit, but I am happy that I can help someone in need.
phone interpretation
Contractor (Former Employee) –  new orleans (headquarters in California)August 17, 2013
computerized system, able to log-in on the computer and start receiving calls. Landline required, extensive training with a language test at the end (the language you are interpreting to & from). Fast paced.
Worst company to work for
Student (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 14, 2013
This is just another one of those revolving door companies. They will treat you like dirt and spit you out! Well, if you like being mistreated, fine, but you always pay.
Pros
Cons
You will feel like you are nothing.
A place were work is fun
English and Spanish interpreter (Former Employee) –  Santo Domingo, PRJune 17, 2012
Working for Languae line was a great opportunity to show and improve my skills. My coworkers are fun to work with
Pros
alot of overtime
Cons
breaks are a bit short. low salary
Worst company ever.
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  MontereyMarch 1, 2013
From a personal experience this was the worst company to ever cross my career path as an interpreter. They pay minimum wage regardless of one's education or experience (that doesn't seem to matter). This company bought out the agency that I was working for. We received a video via e-mail asking us to stay aboard and that nothing would change.......well, it changed my life. A few months later, my wages were cut in less than half and then to minimum wage wanting me to commit to 25 hours per week! I couldn't do it. My impression is that all that matters to them is that one works for cheap and nothing else. Furthermore, when other prospect employers have tried to confirm that I was an employee of the company, Language Line never confirmed with them either way. I tried to obtain a letter of recommendation and I was told that the company does not give those to previous employees. I have spoken in person to Language Line representatives telling me that someone would get back to me and no one ever did. Every time I see the title "Language Line", I think of a nightmare.
Cons
see below
Portugese Interpreter
Portuguese Interpreter (Former Employee) –  At homeMay 14, 2015
I worked from home, over the phone interpreting from Portuguese to English and vise verse.

I started working in my scheduled time. Used a bin-aural headphone set. I worked full time and then at the end I worked part time.

We need to learn all the techniques to listen and to rely on the context at the beginning to understand the services we are providing.

I did not have too much contact to co-workers, however, my manager was a blessing. She was there to help me to improve in the areas where I need improvement and to cheer me up in the areas I had a very nice performance.

The hardest part of the job is that you cannot say your opinion. It is even hard because you are talking always in first person. Many times people is thinking you are the one saying things to them.

Helping people is always enjoyable to me. This is a job where you are improving the communication to people. Only for this aspect it is wonderful to work at this job. Also, the company is very fair in their payment and bonuses. Last but not least, working at home is a must to save gas and clothes. :)
Pros
Saving gas and clothes
Cons
Work alone wit no interaction most of the time.
Wonderful Experience
Interpreter;French/English (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 13, 2012
TYhis was an interesting and rewarding career, the only drawback was the isolation, as I worked out of my home office.
Pros
quaterly performance bonus

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Language Line Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8