Lansing Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Fun Place To Work
Student Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 7, 2016
Working at Lansing Community College is very fun. If you are a student employee, they go around your school schedule so you can work and have time to do all of your homework as needed. Everyone employed there is alot of fun and very nice.
Lcc
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 27, 2016
Overall a great place to work. This place gives you free resources, and has the best support staff. If running behind, send your information to the support staff and before you get to work, it will be printed and waiting.
Pros
Support staff is awesome
Cons
No full-time openings
Enjoyed my coworkers.
Clinical Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 24, 2016
No job security. The training was lacking. Management does not communicate well.Working with the students was a positive.
Lansing Community College
Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 19, 2015
Very nice campus. Informational and laid back. A quality education. A quality college experience. Very friendly staff, professors and instructors, and affordable also.
Front desk postion for certain students
TRIO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES (Former Employee) –  lansing,miOctober 19, 2015
The Trio program is a very important program for college students who come from low-income homes, first generation students, and or students with disabilities. My job entailed trying to recruit students into the Trio program and actively maintaining and upgrading files for students who are in the program. The front desk is where students in the program sign in to use the services. Many computer programs were used daily. Word, access, and outlook. Data entry is done daily. Management was very helpful and understanding of college student workers. I spoke at school conferences about the Trio program. Also became a member of the Trio program
Pros
work study so i can get homework done at work
Cons
not paid much
Very Educational, Productive and Fun workplace
Student Staff (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 5, 2015
It is very fun to work at LCC as a student employee, there were many things that i learned and many new friends that i made. very supportive managements.
Great Work Place
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 23, 2015
I would highly recommend working for the college. My experience was great. The staff members are wonderful and the student employees are impeccable.
A good starter desk job
Support Staff, Center for Data Science (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 3, 2015
I work varying hours, since I hold a second job in the evenings. I typically come in to my office, check my email, then rummage through old college reports, seeing what I can recycle. Now that we've moved to a digital survey format, I no longer handle the paper IDEA forms, which required a lot of pre-planning, ordering, and coordination. I'm currently taking the initiative to learn SQL, which is the basis for our Argos information database. The hardest part of my job, currently, is keeping busy; however, I have a lot of freetime in which to learn the database and figure out how things work.
Pros
flexible work schedule, low-stress, personal office
Cons
highly bureaucratic, no chance of advancement
What I learned
Admissions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing,MIAugust 29, 2015
I learned how to manage myself, work efficiently, take initiative and enter data, communicate with customers. The workplace was fun and everyone worked as a team, I gained a lot of awesome relationships from this job.
Pros
Great place to gain professional knowledge
Cons
Not a lot of room to grow or climb the latter
Great Student Population but with a Terrible Culture
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 27, 2015
The students make working here the most rewarding as you will have contact with an extremely wide range of backgrounds, ethnicity, nationalities, and socio-economic status. It is these people who make it worth it to come to campus every day. On top of that, a lot of dedicated people work here that share in the mission of putting students first as well so they make a great team.

As an adjunct the stability in pay can be a bit lacking. Adjuncts generally can get up to 28-30 hours a week workload but you can get bumped if a full-time faculty member or another adjunct with continuing status (non-probationary) decides to bump you to fulfill your workload and this will often happen with little advance notice and the inability to replace the lost workload.

The main issue with working here is the Human Resources department which seems more interested in finding people doing things they do not like and trying to bust the unions on campus as opposed to improving employee relations, professional development, recruitment or any other function of HR. The problem is compounded by the fact the lower-level administrators are trained to run to HR with problems as opposed to dealing with them themselves or with the division offices so even minor issues can become fights to keep your job.
Pros
Somewhat flexible scheduling, unionized, great body of students to work with
Cons
Instability in pay, the entire HR department
LCC - A great place to work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 7, 2015
The amount of work is very little and you have a lot of freedom in what you do. Complete freedom in the classroom and very friendly staff. All really nice people from everyone I have met.
Pros
Staff
Cons
advancement
CTE is a great office to work in with amazing and supportive people.
Technical Support/Web Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 24, 2015
Depending on where we are in the semester I can be making heavy updates to our website and other documents (e.g., Faculty Guide). Other times I spend a lot of the day helping out faculty with course copies, grade book setup, updating their course content, exporting grade books, and entering in final grades.

What I have learned most from this job is how to provide quality customer service as well as managing an extensive website. Because of the web management portion of my position, I had to learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

My co-workers at the CTE are amazing, I would not be who I am today with out their support and guidance.

The hardest part about working in this office is that things can go from being completely dead to having every available computer in our lab occupied. It keeps me on my toes, for sure.

What I really like about this job is that I get to combine the web development with graphic design. I also like that during down time I am able to work on side projects, such as my personal website or learn a new programming language.
Great atmosphere
Processor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 23, 2015
LCC is a great school however, employees do not have many benefits or a voice of opinion. Pay is very low as well for the amount of work requested of their employees. I've worked in many different areas of this department. Typical day would consist of processing financial aid documents. Scanning and filing documents. Processing student loans and applying the funds to student accounts. Answering incoming calls to schedule appointments for financial aid advisors. I learned how important customer service and satisfaction is. Coworkers are great, enjoyed training new employees. The hardest part of the job was getting talked to about scheduling one on one sessions with students. Working at LCC there are a lot of students whom are disabled or don't speak English very well, they required additional support. I go above and beyond for the students. Help them with everything they need in order to be a successful student. I enjoyed interacting with the students the most.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
The pay
Great supervisors great opportunities
Academic Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 5, 2015
I would traditional be the "opener" making sure we had plenty of curriculum guides and work forms printed out for students and staff. I had a great comfort level with other workers and would ensure coffee was made right and ready for the fellow advisors. I learned that students just want want the best assistance and respect among every one in the workplace. It can be very stressful at time for the students when dealing with correct courses, financial aid, etc. When dealing with these students, as i was a student as well, i knew where they were trying to go/had been and did my at most best to ensure they received the best service as i would want as a student walking through those doors. Management was great, fun loving, and dedicated to their duties as an adviser as well as a mentor. My co-workers were always professional and dedicated to their work. The hardest part about my job is that there were no hard parts for as long as you treated every student the same equally. I really enjoyed being able to sit down with other students in my same situation and being able to help them quick, fast and efficiently without even having to schedule an appointment which may be set out for a few days for particular advisors.
Pros
Some lunches may be provided and delivered, Pulled aside to give positive feedback and areas to work on, schedule flexibility, positive attitudes by everyone.
Cons
impatient students wanting
it is & or was a part time job
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 26, 2015
training auto tech for the real word
in brake hyd diag pulasion brake pulls how to set brake lathes
alignment tech the angals
Pros
part time
Cons
part time at will
Excellent first job
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 19, 2015
This was my first job and I couldn't have asked for a better place to start out. Campus employment is perfect for students who do not have much or any work experience.
The cafeteria I worked in no longer exists, but while I worked there I actually enjoyed my work. It helped that every employee at my level was also a student, so as co-workers we had common ground to build a rapport on.
Because it was a student employee job, my hours were consistent and flexible, as they should be for a student who needs a good time structure to balance schoolwork and employment.
Pros
Flexible hours, excellent co-workers, good for students
Overall Rewiew
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 28, 2015
I enjoyed being an employee at Lansing Community College. I have enjoyed working with the people. The flexibility part about the job is very convenient with work and school it was nice to be able to walk to my job without leaving the campus.
Productive work place and learning enviorment
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MICHIGANMarch 26, 2015
I enjoy my current job because I enjoy helping people. No day is the same so I have to adjust regularly. I learn something new everyday with this job. I have nice coworkers and a excellent boss.
Nice - very nice
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 25, 2015
I loved this job. I went right into the classroom and worked with all the students. I got hands on experience correcting and grading work and was encouraged to take-on all the normal day to day tasks of a school teacher. The only reason I left this job was because I relocated to attend a major university.
Pros
All the experience of a regular teachers day to day responsibilities.
Cons
Teaching is a calling, not just a job!
Classroom Instructor/Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 22, 2015
Unfortunately, too many mid-level college administrators seem not to know this and often make decisions that made the job harder than it needed to be!