Lansing School District

Lansing School District Employer Reviews

Fun school
elementary school cashier (Former Employee), Lansing, MIDecember 14, 2014
Pros: working with people
Cons: gossiping staff
I usually went in early. I loved my job at the school. I would go in and check my phone for messages.. Make any phone calls that needed to be made. Get breakfast packed and sent to classes. Do lunch count for the day and get lunch in oven. Collect any money necessary and set up cafeteria. Put money in accounts. Then time to serve lunch. Put it away when done. Put lunch count in computer. Print off any letters that needed to go home telling parent there child owes for lunch. Two times a week go to the bank and deposit money. I learned that children are very impressionable. the hardest part about the job was knowing certain children was not getting enough to eat at home at the meals ate at school was all they were going to get for the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in a childs life for the better. To know they looked up to me for guidance.
STAY AWAY!!!
Public Safety officer(former) (Former Employee), Lansing, MINovember 20, 2014
STAY AWAY!!!! The management have no idea what they are doing. Too much micromanagement and playing favorites. The Director is threatened by anyone with any real Police Experience or any real experience for that matter. They have no regard for officer safety. If you value your sanity and your name STAY AWAY. The old Chief of Police from Lansing pulls the strings for the Department and is ruining it just like she did Lansing PD.

Public Safety used to a great place to work under the old boss. But they promoted a power hungry person who has no clue what she is doing
Lansing School District
Grant Accountant (Current Employee), Lansing, MISeptember 12, 2014
Pros: good people, work life balance
Lansing School district has great work life balance. I have learned a lot in the position I am in and it has helped me grow in my career.
Excellent benefits, positive work environment, supportive supervisor
Educational Institution - Associate Teacher (Current Employee), Lansing, MIAugust 6, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: sometimes training and development was not applicable to job
Provided age appropriate child focused early childhood development activities for pre k children.
I learned how to observe and write anicdotal notes and imput data in COR advantage data base
Hardest part of job was seeing children come to school without proper clothing or just knowing that the child's home environment was not appropriate for child's proper development and growth
Most enjoyable part of job was watching children grow and develop from the beginning of the school year to the end of the school year
Challenging
Head Secretary (Current Employee), Lansing, MIAugust 5, 2014
Pros: you are a role model for children
Cons: stressful at times
This is a fast paced office environment that changes all the time, from parents concerns complaints, to students who need assistance, along with teachers and staff.
Fun work environment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Lansing, NYJuly 23, 2014
Pros: hours worked good with the kids schedule
Cons: no paid holidays
Love being about the talk with the students and staff. Learned how to prepare food following state guidelines and requirments
Challenging and ever-changing job to educate young minds
Middle and Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee), Various location in Lansing, MIJune 18, 2014
There is not a typical day at work. The job varies depending on what needs to get done with students. Things can change but the core of the job is teaching the major subjects to 9 and 10 year olds and helping them to learn what needs to be covered. Kids are unpredictable which makes them the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job is juggling all the expectations that are placed on you by parents, colleagues, administration and the state of Michigan.
overall
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJune 5, 2014
typical work day is filled with paperwork and handling kids but great! i have learned about Microsoft and all the programs used in a normal office. i really didnt have co-worker. i only had my supervisor and the kids. i really like working for this company.
Review
ECSE Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Lansing, MIApril 24, 2014
Pros: students learning a new task
Cons: healthcare
I assisted the teacher with educating students. I loved the kids I worked with.
Touching lives!
Teacher-Principal (Former Employee), Lansing, MIApril 8, 2014
Pros: knowing you make a difference in a young person's life.
Cons: variables beyond your control. poor pay.
Their is much about education today, particularly in public K-12 schools, that is problematic--or can be. There is never enough money to have the materials, etc. that you think you need. The clientele--students and parents--can be difficult and unappreciative. Success at what you are doing is hard to measure. Many variable for success are outside of your purview to control. The pay is not commensurate with the education required or the level of daily decision making which directly affects individuals' welfare. But you are actually directly touching lives and making a difference in a positive way most of the time. The rewards are sometimes realized some years in the future when a former student meets you and gives you a hug and thanks. Then you know for sure you did your job!
Good and Bad Environment
Wrestling Coach (Current Employee), Lansing, MINovember 25, 2013
The kids are often great, but the accountability of students and certain employees is low. The administration could do a much better job with managing schools: the teaching staff, children's behavior, and making all parties accountable for their actions. Coworkers are unsupportive if you make them look poorly because you are doing your job well. The children make it enjoyable when they learn, but other cowrokers and the administration make and job with this company unenjoyable.
Physical Education Teacher/Behavior Intervention Specialist
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee), Lansing, MIOctober 29, 2013
Pros: working with students
Cons: on layoff/job security
Helping students with classroom work. Students came to my room after being kicked out of class. I would also give students interventions. I found if you give students your attention they will respect you and will work harder. I had to manage between 25-35 students a day. The most enjoyable part of my day was when students would hand in their finished work so I could give it back to their teachers. Rated highly effective.
management
Class III (Former Employee), Lansing, MIAugust 2, 2013
was not willing to be open minded or considerate of others feelings. always a he say she say battle & the new comer had no balance
Great places to work, each having their own unique features.
Teacher (Former Employee), MIJuly 9, 2013
Pros: being a teacher is a great profession.
Cons: difficult students and difficult customers.
Working with junior high students is basically the same whether in Michigan or in Texas. I enjoyed the challenges of being a teacher even though it was tough at times. At my part-time jobs at Dillard's, etc. was a great experience working with different people and the public.
It was fine.
Discipline Room Assistant (Former Employee), VariousJune 9, 2013
Typical day of processing student discipline information.
Great school district to work for
Adult Enrichment, Building Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Lansing, MIMarch 4, 2013
Right after my Bachelor's degree, I began working for the Lansing Schools in various capacities. I had done my student teaching there and wanted to stay in the area. I met some nice people and learned a lot while there.
It was a wondering place to do my Externship
Externship (Former Employee), Lansing, MIFebruary 27, 2013
I learn a lot doing my externship and got to meet wonderful people and I now sub there when needed. I enjoy coming back and helping out whenever I get to.
Stressful atmosphere micro-management
Director of SpEd/Principal (Former Employee), Lansing, ILOctober 24, 2012
Pros: family insurance for administration, great secretaries, nurses, social worker, psychologist, occupational therapist
Cons: inexperienced administrators
Inexperienced new administration with limited background in education hindered collaborative process needed to work effectively