Lansing School District Employee Reviews

My goal was to gain insight into autism spectrum disorders which was achieved.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 18, 2016
Good learning environment for my future goals. Working towards Masters in Education with focus on Autism Spectrum Disorders. Learned how to apply strategies of working with autistic students (ages 8 to 24). Lead teacher and aide awesome to work with. Hardest part of job was knowing when and how to step-in as well as back off. Incredibly fulfilling when you have a breakthrough with any of these students (like watching your child take his first steps).
Pros
Teaching children in an inclusive environment with the desire to learn.
Cons
Behavior issues.
Productive workplace with room to grow.
Relief Custodian (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MichiganSeptember 24, 2015
Go to assign building for the day to empty trash, sweep rooms and hallways, sanitize and stock restrooms, and secure building.
safe professional workers
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 17, 2015
My review is that this is a good company to work for. You will learn from this company. It will take you to another level in the workplace. They educate you.
Pros
Heatlhy menu
Cons
no breaks
Lansing School District
Spanish Immersion Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 14, 2015
Lansing School District can be a challenging work environment. Everyone knows that teachers are expected to perform exceptionally with little to no resources. Lansing is especially challenging because it is a Title I District.

The highlight of my work experience in Lansing was to work with such talented and professional individuals. Since Lansing is such a tough place to work, you only find people working there who are dedicated to what they are doing.
decent
Custodian/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 23, 2015
cleaning locking up sweeping management is ok for the most part could pay us better but the work is harder then what we think
Pros
nice workers
Cons
not enough pay
Good
Student Advocate (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 22, 2015
Good experience, work friendly environment and good location to live. I enjoyed the students from the community and the stakeholders at each level.

Maurice Nelson, B.A., AAS
Has been a good place to work for 38 years
Building Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 10, 2015
I have learned many new skills as I have had the opportunities to move into numerous positions within the Lansing School District. This has enabled me to gain experience in many areas.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Privatizations
A great place to work and be involved in social development
Assistant Athletic Director Lansing STEM Academy (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 10, 2015
As an athletic director and teacher working kids has been a rewording experience. In all I never thought I would have performed this type of work once i graduated from college.
Pros
Seeing education applied.
Cons
problematic students, coworkers, and parents.
challenging
Assist in instruction (Current Employee) –  lansingJuly 7, 2015
This is a great place to grow. I love working with my students. It can be challenging at times. I have met some really cool people while working for the school district.
Pros
fun
Parent Worker
Parent Worker (Current Employee) –  Lansing, ILJune 16, 2015
This is a great job for a stay at home parent. The children are a joy to work with, but the parents can be somewhat difficult. Overall, it is ok.

Want to know more about Lansing School District?

Ask a question
Great job for a long time with great benefits and retirement benefits
Grounds Maintenance, Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 28, 2015
School district job was a good career. Went through a lot of transitions and advanced a lot during the time I was employed their. Great co-workers. Liked what I was doing and very hours and benefits.
Pros
Good benefits & reasonable compensation
Cons
Managment changed frequently & not aleays for the best
The upper level management was a bit unstable.
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 20, 2015
I really enjoy working with high school students. I also liked attending the games, concerts, and conferences put on by the school I worked for.
Fun school
elementary school cashier (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 14, 2014
I usually went in early. I loved my job at the school. I would go in and check my phone for messages.. Make any phone calls that needed to be made. Get breakfast packed and sent to classes. Do lunch count for the day and get lunch in oven. Collect any money necessary and set up cafeteria. Put money in accounts. Then time to serve lunch. Put it away when done. Put lunch count in computer. Print off any letters that needed to go home telling parent there child owes for lunch. Two times a week go to the bank and deposit money. I learned that children are very impressionable. the hardest part about the job was knowing certain children was not getting enough to eat at home at the meals ate at school was all they were going to get for the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in a childs life for the better. To know they looked up to me for guidance.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
gossiping staff
Stay away!!!
Public Safety officer(former) (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 20, 2014
STAY AWAY!!!! The management have no idea what they are doing. Too much micromanagement and playing favorites. The Director is threatened by anyone with any real Police Experience or any real experience for that matter. They have no regard for officer safety. If you value your sanity and your name STAY AWAY. The old Chief of Police from Lansing pulls the strings for the Department and is ruining it just like she did Lansing PD.

Public Safety used to a great place to work under the old boss. But they promoted a power hungry person who has no clue what she is doing
Lansing School District
Grant Accountant (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 12, 2014
Lansing School district has great work life balance. I have learned a lot in the position I am in and it has helped me grow in my career.
Pros
good people, work life balance
Excellent benefits, positive work environment, supportive supervisor
Educational Institution - Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 6, 2014
Provided age appropriate child focused early childhood development activities for pre k children.
I learned how to observe and write anicdotal notes and imput data in COR advantage data base
Hardest part of job was seeing children come to school without proper clothing or just knowing that the child's home environment was not appropriate for child's proper development and growth
Most enjoyable part of job was watching children grow and develop from the beginning of the school year to the end of the school year
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Sometimes training and development was not applicable to job
Challenging
Head Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 5, 2014
This is a fast paced office environment that changes all the time, from parents concerns complaints, to students who need assistance, along with teachers and staff.
Pros
You are a role model for children
Cons
Stressful at times
Fun work environment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, NYJuly 23, 2014
Love being about the talk with the students and staff. Learned how to prepare food following state guidelines and requirments
Pros
hours worked good with the kids schedule
Cons
no paid holidays
Challenging and ever-changing job to educate young minds
Middle and Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Various location in Lansing, MIJune 18, 2014
There is not a typical day at work. The job varies depending on what needs to get done with students. Things can change but the core of the job is teaching the major subjects to 9 and 10 year olds and helping them to learn what needs to be covered. Kids are unpredictable which makes them the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job is juggling all the expectations that are placed on you by parents, colleagues, administration and the state of Michigan.
overall
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 5, 2014
typical work day is filled with paperwork and handling kids but great! i have learned about Microsoft and all the programs used in a normal office. i really didnt have co-worker. i only had my supervisor and the kids. i really like working for this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lansing School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Lansing School District Reviews by Location