Lansing School District Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Productive workplace with very friendly staff members.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Lansing, ILSeptember 5, 2017
Very nice clean, well kept school. Excellent Staff. Friendly work environment. I liked being on the school schedule because I have a school aged child. It made it easier as far as days off.
Pros
Friendly Management
Cons
Pay
Good place to start my career off at
Dean of Students (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 23, 2017
Area in which I grew up in and received my high school diploma. Worked with at- risk student and in a supportive school leader. the hour were long and the environment became home away from home.
Workplace at Lansing School District
Sub-Class Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 5, 2017
As an employee of the district, I work as sub-class assistant. I really enjoy this job as i work with children. I help them during class by providing all the material they need to learn new materials. The most part that I enjoy is that the diversity of culture I meet with children in their different classes and their different teachers too.
Challenging environment, great benefits
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 30, 2017
Patrolled halls, secured building,conducted investigations, and wrote reports.

I learned police protocols and procedures. Computer skills and report writing, Non violent interventions, communication in a diverse environment and policies/procedures related to school district protocols.

Management was available when needed for advice and assistance.

Workplace culture was very diverse and
Pros
Free training, uniforms and great benefits
Cons
Working with unruly students
Fun rewarding
Driver (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 25, 2017
Gratifying very exciting and challenging. I enjoy working with the children. I like working Monday through Friday. No weekends or holidays. Summers off.
Pros
Work with kids
Cons
9 month worker
love the kids
Lunch Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 22, 2017
I loved working with the kids who were kindergarten to Fifth grade the staff was awesome but alot of going from building to building and no advancement
Lansing School District
SIGN LANGUAGE INTERPRETER (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 10, 2017
I was treated unfairly and left. I loved working with the children, but the staff of all kinds were very underpaid so it made the environment very stressful.
School
Sub Clerk/Sub Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 6, 2017
LSD gave me my first opportunity to work in the school district with children and gave me the opportunity to be able to teach them at a level that they understood.
You just don't do your job.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 29, 2017
Just don't get hurt because they will start to treat you different when the injury is work related. They do have some good things like the other empolyees.
Interesting place to work
HUman Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MI 48933March 29, 2017
Enjoyed my time there and would have stayed but lost position to an employee that was laid off. The laid off employees take precedence over part time or fill in individuals.
the kids are amazing
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 16, 2017
the job and the students are amazing. but the benefits are a joke and the pay isn't much for what the job insists of. administration is very unrealistic and have no clue on what a normal day in a special ed class room is like. dont expect a raise im sure its not in the budget.
Best way to get your feet wet in the education field
Teacher Substitute (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 4, 2017
You are given a lesson plan to follow. As long as you put your foot down you'll have very few issues. I learned classroom management and how to address and deal with student issues. Sometimes the hardest part was dealing with students that did not know you. The best part about this job was dealing with new and diverse personalities.
Pros
Freedom, choose your hours and day you work
Cons
Pay
Educational setting with a focus on growing and developing relationships with staff, students and in the community.
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 16, 2017
The Lansing School District is in transition attempting to educate students in this changing culture using twenty-first century means and methods. I commend them in their attempt to do so in this technological society.
Tears and Cheers!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 15, 2017
Chaos and turmoil from administration, students wonderful, fellow teachers and support staff are the best! The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching students:)
I enjoyed being around youth.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 14, 2016
The school district is a nice place to work with securing hours. I worked with faculty as well as youth. My co-workers were the best! The best part about this job is being able to put smiles on people's faces.
Pros
customer service
Cons
more hours
My goal was to gain insight into autism spectrum disorders which was achieved.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 18, 2016
Good learning environment for my future goals. Working towards Masters in Education with focus on Autism Spectrum Disorders. Learned how to apply strategies of working with autistic students (ages 8 to 24). Lead teacher and aide awesome to work with. Hardest part of job was knowing when and how to step-in as well as back off. Incredibly fulfilling when you have a breakthrough with any of these students (like watching your child take his first steps).
Pros
Teaching children in an inclusive environment with the desire to learn.
Cons
Behavior issues.
Visiting different schools in the district and following the assignments to be done
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 2, 2016
The classroom challenges in every school I visited would be different so I did not know what to expect. Some days in classroom would be very easy while some days would be very challenging.
Pros
Work time
Cons
Didn't know what challenges I would face in the classroom
Productive workplace with room to grow.
Relief Custodian (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MichiganSeptember 24, 2015
Go to assign building for the day to empty trash, sweep rooms and hallways, sanitize and stock restrooms, and secure building.
safe professional workers
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 17, 2015
My review is that this is a good company to work for. You will learn from this company. It will take you to another level in the workplace. They educate you.
Pros
Heatlhy menu
Cons
no breaks
Lansing School District
Spanish Immersion Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 14, 2015
Lansing School District can be a challenging work environment. Everyone knows that teachers are expected to perform exceptionally with little to no resources. Lansing is especially challenging because it is a Title I District.

The highlight of my work experience in Lansing was to work with such talented and professional individuals. Since Lansing is such a tough place to work, you only find people working there who are dedicated to what they are doing.