Laser Quest Employee Reviews

Great job if you're under 20 years old
part time (Current Employee) –  USANovember 16, 2013
Typical day at work varies by day of the week, as weeknights tend to be slow (unless there's a private off-hours event, only salaried management work during weekday hours) and weekends tend to be very busy. Generally, you'll be taking phone calls from customers, mostly calls for information or birthday party reservations, and running the POS and game computers at the front desk - Mission Control. You'll also be running laser tag games.

You learn patience. Dealing with gangs of children can be tough when your job requires making them listen to you but still creative a fun, energetic atmosphere. Sometimes parents can be a nightmare when their expectations are not met - for example, they almost never get their party rooms right away (typically games are played first, then the rooms open up) but if they forget or misunderstand this fact they will not be happy, and you have to learn to deal with it. You also have to learn to deal with the occasional outburst of rage, something you might not expect at a place that's basically an arcade, but it happens. You also learn various technical aspects of the job, and to be quick thinking and light on your feet - if you have a game of 33 players starting in 5 minutes but several of your packs have technical issues rendering them unusable, which packs do you fix first? WHO fixes them when both phone lines are always busy and there's a line of people out the door who want in on the next available spot? Etc. Time management is a massively important thing here to grasp!

the center managers are usually pretty great, and often terribly underpaid.
  more... (But who isn't at this company? Other than corporate bigwigs, of course.) Most of the people who run a Laser Quest are young college or high school students, so they know to be flexible with kids they work with, especially with the knowledge that turnover can be high - when you make less than $10 an hour part-time, that's not enough to pay bills, let alone tuition. Despite the fact that they're tasked with a LOT of work to take care of, management generally do a good job of running the place, though it might vary from center to center. You can usually expect to have a good boss at a Laser Quest center, simply because LQ is meant to be a fun place, and an overly-serious, stressed-out jerk of a boss would not be a good fit for the company...but it can happen. Though, they don't tend to last very long, thank goodness.

Co-workers likewise vary. Typically for crew and part-time assistant managers, really fun, outgoing people are sought out to fill spots. However, they do tend to be young - 16 to 24 years of age is the typical age range, usually leaning towards the younger side (older employees usually have the experience and education to seek more serious, better-paying jobs). Thus, you might be dealing with some rather immature people, but it's pretty fun to watch them grow into adults, too. Most employees are fun to hang out with and work with.

The hardest part of the job, other than the occasional explosion of rage from the occasional customer, is the lack of hours and low pay. This company tends to be really cheap. Because of the ACA's implementation, to make sure they don't spend a penny more on their employees and do not allow anyone who isn't salaried to be scheduled more than 25 hours unless it's urgent, with 30 being a sort of hard maximum - anyone who averages over 30 hours a week for the year must be provided with health benefits, and, well, this extremely profitable company just can't afford that! Investing in your employees' well-being is just too expensive. Another hard part is having any task that requires communication with anyone outside of your local center. If you have a technical problem that you can't solve on your own and need to contact the corporate tech guys? Expect it to take awhile. Possibly a LONG while. I understand the need for consistency and control across every location, but man, Corporate makes it really difficult to run a business as it needs to be run sometimes.

The most enjoyable part is that usually the job itself is fun, and flexible, making it much easier to stick for a longer time. You get to practice public speaking, play games with employees and customers (both in laser tag and little mini games), and interact with all kinds of people. It's great to see people having fun.around you and be part of it.

My summary: It's a great place to work if you've never held a job before, or if all you've done was something like Quizno's. It's entertaining and fairly easy to do. However, if you are looking to start a career, look elsewhere. The pay is peanuts, the openings are sparse, chances to move up in rank are non-existent, and if you need serious work, this is probably not the place for you.
Pros
great place for a first job if young, 2 game passes every month. discounted games, small bonus every 3 months, good training methods
Cons
very underpaid, never any opportunity for advancement, home office is a pain to deal with
Fast growing, fun workplace
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 21, 2014
Family Entertainment Center featuring the largest Laser-tag Arena in South Florida.

Responsible for growth and profitability of Laser Quest‘s first Florida location. Successfully oversaw the construction and development of the new facility. Created a full marketing plan, educational program, budget, operational plan and sales plan.
• Hired, trained and developed all staff and management team.
Developed, pricing and sales promotions, including collateral material to support the promotions through market analysis and research.
• Created, developed and marketed corporate team-building packages, educational programs for schools, and birthday packages.
• Responsible for proper operation and training for technical equipment maintenance.
• Certified in “Act” program.
• Implemented and oversaw all aspects of community awareness programs and fundraising
Pros
free games
Cons
insurance, vacation
Fun and fast paced environment
Crew member (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 10, 2012
Laser Quest is a high energy, fun and exciting place to work. Patrons of Laser Quest are always excited to be there which makes our job fun and easy. The managers treat employees with respect and they work very hard to accommodate our needs while making sure the company runs smoothly. While Laser Quest is a fun place to work, it can be frustrating at times because sometimes we do get customers that are not happy with our service or customers that do not understand the process of what goes on at Laser Quest. The most enjoyable part of my job is making sure the kids that are there for birthday parties have a great time as well as making sure adults there for corporate events or birthday parties feel that their event went smoothly and that Laser Quest is worthy of their business again in the future.
Best Corporate Company to work for
Marketing/Operation Manager (Former Employee) –  Midvale UtahJune 15, 2013
My typical day at Laser Quest would include verifying funds daily, Preparing weekly schedules. Weekly ancillary maintenance and tech maintenance. I have learned how to better manage a business and more important manage employees to better themselves. Being part of a management team that comes together to find solutions instead of throwing someone under the bus instead of taking responsibility for ones actions. My job was never hard and the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you were part of something bigger. With our Home Office in Toronto I was always recognized for my anniversary and even birthdays.
Pros
great benefits, paid vacation, flexible hours, monthly bonus and retention bonus
Cons
night and weekend hours
Working at the LQ
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Norridge, ILOctober 13, 2013
I started working at LQ during my senior year of high school, two years later I'm still in the sam position I was in, except I'm making about 30 cents more an hour. I love working there, my coworkers are amazing and the customers aren't so bad. As far as management, its more of a touch and go sort of idea. I love the GM and the assistant managers. Customers can be real a-holes sometimes even when you're providing the best service you can. Very flexible hours and it works great with your schedule. The hardest part of the job is probably closing down the whole center at the end of the night. The most enjoyable part of the job is the bonus checks we receive quarterly.
Pros
co-workers, management, bonus checks, and free games!
Cons
closing, customers (sometimes)
Fun and enjoyable workplace with great people.
Crew (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 13, 2015
A typical day at Laser Quest consisted of setting up the maze and laser tag packs, checking in and ringing up customers, running games and keeping them on time, and making sure birthday parties were being run in an organized manner. The management was friendly and accommodating and always tried to work around your schedule. The staff was fun and friendly and my job never seemed like work. The hardest part of the job was making sure that all of the parties ran smoothly on popular party days (Fridays and Saturdays). The most enjoyable part was working with the amazing people and seeing the kids and parents truly enjoying their experience.
Pros
fun atmosphere, exciting work environment
Cons
low hours
Great job,
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 23, 2015
This job has taught me more than I could have imagined. Starting from the President and CEO all the way to the crew members, the people that work for this company are amazing. This company believes in life work balance from day one and will assist you in your career aspirations. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the happy customers coming out from the game leaving all the stress and worries behind. This job will challenge you in multiple levels of management from marketing, coaching, cost control, development of people, H.R. to name a few.
Pros
work life balance, training, travel, advancement, support
Cons
working with old equipment, no conventional advertising done
Wonderful company - fun and fullfilling
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 28, 2012
Working for Laser Quest - Rockford, IL was a great experience. I learned a lot about customer service, sales and the game of laser tag. Management at Laser Quest was outstanding. They taught us about the business and were very well structured. My co-workers were like family and we worked together to make sure our guests had a fun experience every time. The hardest part of the job was staying up for the over nighters since I'm not a late night person. Overall, I loved working for Laser Quest and would recommend the company to anyone interested.
fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 21, 2015
Get to work and go to the office, go through the email. then go make sure the cash register is counted correctly. Turn on all video games and fog machine and change battery packs for the laser tag vests. run a practice game to verify all packs are working and fix the ones that are not. Prep any party rooms that are to be used. Then open for business. Kids and parents come in and play games and have fun. The best part is listening to the code names kids pick out, they pick some unusual names and it always amused me.
Pros
free video and laser tag games
Cons
low pay
Heavy Marketing needed to build business.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 7, 2012
Great company who is all about family entertainment. They want all employees to be "ambassadors of fun", and stress having fun at your job to enhance the customer experience. Behind the scenes, they are looking for management to spend a lot of time building business through warm and cold calls. They stress sticking to their assigned marketing objectives. In my case, business was awesome, but they did not agree on the way I was building the business.
Pros
having fun = success.
Cons
must be strong in marketing skills to succeed.

Want to know more about Laser Quest?

Ask a question
Fun and fast paced place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2014
A typical day at work involved cleaning, playing games, handling the cash register, and making reservations for customers. I learned how to input codes into a computer, fix center problems at little to no cost. My co-workers were fun and reliable. The hardest part of the job was closing the store in 30 minutes. The most enjoyable part of the job was finding out you made a party more exciting than expected.
Pros
play games all day, most customers aren't rude
Cons
most nights i had to close the entire by myself with a limited amount of time
Great place to work!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 1, 2012
On a typical day I dealt with children, parents, teens, and senior citizens from all walks of life. I learned for to balance paperwork and how to deal with different life situations. Management is AWESOME, the best I could ever imagined; coworkers were enjoyable likewise. The hardest part of the job were the older kids when the became over excited;nothing to hard to handle. Another hard part was leaving. The most enjoyable part was the crew;everyone was like family!
Pros
people, free/discounted pizza, incentive bonuses
Fun, dynamic work environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 2, 2013
Laser Quest was a great place to learn management skills. I started as a crew member in December 2007 and was General Manager of the Memphis location in December 2011. The senior management at LQ recognizes ability and does everything in their power to foster growth from the ground up.

A typical day as a GM involves marketing calls, running some operations, training, and taking care of any facility issues.
Pros
excellent culture, work life balance
Cons
a very broad skill set is required to excell
Energetic Atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAAugust 20, 2014
Walking into the center is always a fun and enjoyable atmosphere. Making sure parents and kids have the best experience possible. From purchasing games, to selecting code names, handing out their scorecards, and booking their next event! Managing crew members is a blast, because everyone works together as a TEAM. Together Everyone Achieves More. Knowing I can trust them to do their job with minimum supervision, enables me to focus more on marketing, inventory, and closing work.
Fun and Creative
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 26, 2012
Laser Quest was amazingly fun. I had the best fun.
There was always a party to supervise, or some group to tell to settle down. Laser Tag was an exciting game to learn and I enjoyed it. My co-workes and managers were all so amazing to get along and work with.
Pros
everything
Cons
summer ended
Fun and Exciting
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis,TNJanuary 16, 2012
I enjoy Working in this fun environment. This place never has a dull moment. From The Employees to the customers the place makes you want to come back. The experience is always an adventure.
Pros
been with the company for 7 years
Cons
this is a partime position.
Fun and energetic place to work that genuinely cares about the employees and customers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Potomac Mills, VAJanuary 18, 2015
Every day is new. With promotions and events always happening, there is never a dull moment. It is rewarding to help manage a crew that brings such joy to the customers.
Productive and fun workplace
Crew member (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 2, 2015
A typical day at work included greeting and interacting with customers in a fun and inviting environment. Explaining the rules and regulations of the game while also monitoring the customers games.
Productive and fun work place
Staff (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 18, 2015
Fun work place and supportive management. Great working environment that provides the "WOW" factor to entertain the customers.
Pros
fun, entertaining environment
Cons
food clean up and some rowdy customers
Awesome work place and employees!!!
Marshal/Cashier (Current Employee) –  WasingtonSeptember 1, 2015
I love working for LQ !! its an awesome place to work. we are a family. we all get along great!! We work with kids all day and sometimes adults as well! I cant express how great it is.

4.2