Latham & Watkins LLP

Latham & Watkins LLP United States Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Conflicts Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 28, 2015
My responsibilities at Latham & Watkins as a Conflicts Assistant included updating and inputting data into the conflicts database using both internal and external information resources and confirming the accuracy of information pertaining to clients and all relevant parties. I also assisted with the processing and completion of new business intake forms encompassing billing for new and existing clients using Elite. I have extensive experience processing engagement letters, waiver letters and other essential documents relating to clients and adverse parties. Lastly, I was responsible for reviewing corporate tree relationships for clients and modifying client records to reflect the current parent/subsidiary relationships.
Enjoyable place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: great benefits, wonderful firm culture! friendly environment.
Cons: not much room for advancement
Working at Latham has been nice. Everyone is nice, management, attorneys and co-workers. One of the things I like most is the firm culture. The firm does nice things for their employees.
Review
Associate, Litigation Department (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 12, 2014
Latham & Watkins LLP is a wonderful place to begin your legal career
Great place
Floating Legal Secretary (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 12, 2014
I had a great experience working at Latham & Watkins. It has many opportunities for growth.
Great place to work.
Legal Secretary for Partner/Laura DeFelice (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 5, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
I worked with Laura DeFelice for about 10 years in two different law firms. One of the best bosses I ever had.
Challenging but collegial work environment
Litigation Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2013
Outstanding law firm known for its exceptional client services and work product.
Excellent law firm with top-notch attorneys.
Counsel (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 7, 2013
Latham & Watkins is an international, full-service law firm with over 2,000 attorneys world-wide.
Loved My Time Here.
Business Development (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2013
Pros: benefits, compensation, people, environment, bonuses
A great innovative and progressive law firm to work for. They compensate their employees very well and value their input. I loved my time here. Really loved it.
Good clients, rough workplace
Corporate Paralegal (Former Employee), Silicon ValleyOctober 23, 2012
Pros: commitment to pro bono, good clients
Cons: expensive healthcare relative to other sv firms
I have worked at several biglaw firms in the past ten years, always in corporate. This review pertains to the SV office only. Because L&W is an amalgamation of partners from many firms (the SV office is about 15 years old), there are many different work styles, expectations, and, often, competing partner interests. This can lead to partners fighting over your time, not respecting that you might be overstaffed on highly active transactions, or...getting an A+ on an assignment done in one way and getting yelled at by the next partner for doing the exact same thing. Yes, I understand that this is biglaw, and we don't all hold hands and sing, but...even for biglaw, this firm was very contentious internallly.

I've never worked in such a dysfunctional place. Many of the people I worked with (staff and attorneys) were lovely. It was mostly the partners who could be incredibly mercurial. Most associates do not stay long--L&W is very much a "get the name on your resume" and run, run, run. Even junior partners tend to stay only as long as they have to before they run too!

I did have some very cool clients--consumer products household names, tech companies you'd know...but that did not make up for the fact that any given day your phone could ring with someone yelling about something (often which had nothing to do with you or your projects). In short, it was not a happy place to work.

I would also advise that the location is very isolating (but great if you want to commute from SF or anywhere near 101). There's very little food nearby and you are essentially stuck with the not-great – more... (but discounted) cafe food (which is brought in) or BYO lunch.

If you are looking to be a paralegal on the corporate side, I would warn any newcomer that the worst, messiest, most difficult clients will be handed to you to "fix" with little attorney oversight or assistance. It can be truly awful to deal with the incredibly high corporate paralegal turnover that causes major "aftermath" problems.

This office (and L&W in general) is/are really fantastic about their commitment to pro bono work, and I applaud the firm for emphasizing pro bono in a genuine and meaningful way. – less
Productive place to work
Records Specialists (Current Employee), Menlo Park, CAOctober 3, 2012
Pros: discount lunches, medical coverage, job security
Cons: location, management
*I like to keep busy at work it tends to make the day go by faster

*I am a team player

*Willing to learn new tasks and new procedures

*Very hard worker & dependable

*Much more to envolve to my daily work schedule
The company's culture was healthy, productive and inspiring
Administrative Assistant to the CFO (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 16, 2012
I completed a temporary assignment of three months working in the finance division. The staff were always friendly, helpful and it was an honor to be part of this team. My greatest accomplishment was completing all projects successfully, whereby the management team became very comfortable with my work and found me to be reliable. The company takes great care of their employees. They invest in their well being and health and promote healthy living.
Great place to work.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 27, 2012
Pros: generous pto time, annual christmas party, summer outings and the 10 holidays per year.
On a typical day would entail checking in with my attorneys to see the what the work day would be like. This included creating documents, edit, redlining for review by the attorneys, travel arrangements both domestic and international, reimbursements, drafting out monthly billing for review and posting, open new matters, obtain the new matter number then create redwell files through Records Center, scanning and Federal Expressing documents as needed.

The attorneys and staff were all nice people and I enjoyed coming to work all the time.

About Latham & Watkins LLP

Latham & Watkins' founders Dana Latham and Paul Watkins flipped a coin in 1934 to determine which of their names would go first – Read more

Latham & Watkins LLP Salaries