Latin American Youth Center Employee Reviews

great environment for working with youth and families
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY WELLNESS (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2017
I had a great staff and colleagues who supported each other in their respective roles. Our main goal was to provide quality youth development services to the youth enrolled in the various programs.
Family Resource Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 16, 2017
The population that is served is very meaningful however the company has systemic issues that lead to decreased job satisfaction. It is a satisfying place to work for a short period but not a longterm career option.
Fun place
Cook (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 14, 2017
I learned how to meet new people & not always stay to myself. It's a fun place to be actually. Learn new thing everyday. Also the people who work there are really nice.
Pros
Free trips
Cons
Trips
Worked long hours but great staff
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 1, 2017
Loved working with the families and staff and the hours were reasonable as well. I received great clinical supervision for free while I was there and developed as a professional. There were lots of opportunities for free trainings for additional professional development as well. You did have to advocate often for opportunities because there wasn't enough to do (strange) though which was sometimes unfortunate.
Fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 26, 2017
this job i learned a lot about art and we actually were able to teach kids about the different type of art. and i had a lot of fun learning about it and making a lot of art.
Community Center
Athletic Director-Rita Bright FYC (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 24, 2017
We implement over 35 free programs for youth ages 6-18 under the umbrella of Education, Enrichment, Athletics, Technology, and Arts. We serve 150-200 youth on a daily basis. The Rita Bright Family & Youth Center.
Fun, friendly work environment
Urban Alliance Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2017
A typical day I work would be me sitting at the front desk, greeting clients and youth. I learned that confidentiality is the most important thing because the floor I worked on was the health and wellness department and we had important information. The workplace environment is very friendly and relaxed. The hardest part of the job was shipping out the samples of urination because one small error could mess everything up. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendly environment.
Pros
great connection
Cons
one year internship
Hostile Work environment
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2017
Overworked, negative energy, people not doing their jobs.
I learned to be more vocal and to stay positive through things that were not in my control.
Pros
Long lunch Breaks
Cons
Poor communication and delegation of roles
Summer Internship
Assistant Secretary(internship) (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDDecember 15, 2016
It was a good experience to learn how the secretary field works. my co- workers were really friendly and helpful. I learned that being a secretary is hard work and people rely on you a lot. The hardest part of the job would had to be when I was by myself on my I got overwhelmed because I was the only one dealing with people and trying to be as helpful as I could . The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the parents with any questions and giving my best to them and my co- workers
Pros
good pay
Cons
Short internship
a typical day at work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 29, 2016
filing papers running off papers emailing different businesses also faxing off papers to different agencie. t was aquiet eniorment with aboy three people working in the office
The population you work with is great
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  MarylandAugust 5, 2015
Not the most organized agency, challenging to get ideas to be executed, the population is great which helps a lot because the kids appreciate the help. Unfortunately the program is not set up too well and is challenging to provide effective services
Diverse and fun work place
Creative Writing Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.November 9, 2014
The Latin American Center is a recreational building for youth. It's full of actives for them to do to stay out of trouble and it has been a good experience these last years working with them. It's summer jobs so it's just a temporary job but can be compared to as summer camp for the youth. We started off the day with youth eating breakfast then break off into the different tracks that the kids signed up for (e.g. photography, mural design, video production) and have a short break midday for lunch. Then after lunch the kids return back to their groups. Once a week the staff would gather at the end to talk about progress and how to display the children's work but during that short time there would be many disagreements and no compromise. There were several times where the staff workers were late or took days off which made things go slow because there was only a few staff members and everyone was assigned to a duty.
Pros
free lunches, free breakfasts, breaks, exhibits, fun environment
Cons
communication, punctuality
A great place to start a career in teaching
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2014
A typical day at work was sometimes laid-back, sometimes extremely busy depending on the task at hand. I learned how to teach another person in a way that anyone could understand, work together with co-workers, develop lesson plans, and being business savy. My bosses were very loving and caring people. My bosses never had a problem with helping me acquire the skilles needed to be great at my assignments. The hardest part of was finding a to teach and grab the student's attention at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know and love the team that I worked with, as well as developing relationships with the kids....giving back to the community.
Loved It.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.September 15, 2014
I loved voluenteering at LAYC because of the good vibes and great energy that i was always surrouned by.
Pros
walking distance from home
Filling paper work.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 19, 2014
I did this as a requirement for me to graduate from high school. i was to complete 100 hours of communite service hours. I would get in to work 1- 4:00 pm. It was very fun and i got to meet so many great people.
Pros
Great company
Cons
no lunch.
Laid back while moving forward!
Foster Care Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 7, 2014
LAYC maintains a laid back environment that fosters productivity, excellence and professional growth. I am only leaving due to relocation. I will miss this place.
I would not work here again!!!!
House Supervisor- Teen Bridge Program (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.February 21, 2014
I would not recommend this organization to anyone. The social services department is very disorganized and they do not offer enough support or training for their staff. There is high turnover in this organization and the program (Teen Bridge) due to these reasons. It is also a very unprofessional place with a lot of obvious favoritism to certain staff from the administration. Do not join this organization-YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!
Pros
hands on learning
Cons
low salary and bad management
Fun productive workplace
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2013
Instant gratification. Had the opportunity to help other improve their life-style. Learned a great deal from assisting at risk youth. Management was very involved with employees. This was a grant position--grant was not renewed.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
contractual
I love working with the office
Administrative Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2013
I was an admin for the summer working with LAYC, but it was interesting because the people that we were working with were very diverse. It was an amazing work experience for me.
It was okay
Helped assist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2013
It was only a summer job so i did not really like it. I had it when i was 16 years old.