Latin American Youth Center Employee Reviews in United States

Advice to Senior Management
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2013
Management tried there hardest too communicate all of your needs to the director. She is very flexible. You will get more out of working here if you get to know the residents.
Pros
flexible work hours, fun coworkers, relaxed atmosphere, productive meetings, great salary, nice employers
Cons
i have heard gunshots fired at night. there are many police card patrolling the area.
The population you work with is great
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  MarylandAugust 5, 2015
Not the most organized agency, challenging to get ideas to be executed, the population is great which helps a lot because the kids appreciate the help. Unfortunately the program is not set up too well and is challenging to provide effective services
A great place to start a career in teaching
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2014
A typical day at work was sometimes laid-back, sometimes extremely busy depending on the task at hand. I learned how to teach another person in a way that anyone could understand, work together with co-workers, develop lesson plans, and being business savy. My bosses were very loving and caring people. My bosses never had a problem with helping me acquire the skilles needed to be great at my assignments. The hardest part of was finding a to teach and grab the student's attention at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know and love the team that I worked with, as well as developing relationships with the kids....giving back to the community.
Pros
everything
Diverse and fun work place
Creative Writing Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.November 9, 2014
The Latin American Center is a recreational building for youth. It's full of actives for them to do to stay out of trouble and it has been a good experience these last years working with them. It's summer jobs so it's just a temporary job but can be compared to as summer camp for the youth. We started off the day with youth eating breakfast then break off into the different tracks that the kids signed up for (e.g. photography, mural design, video production) and have a short break midday for lunch. Then after lunch the kids return back to their groups. Once a week the staff would gather at the end to talk about progress and how to display the children's work but during that short time there would be many disagreements and no compromise. There were several times where the staff workers were late or took days off which made things go slow because there was only a few staff members and everyone was assigned to a duty.
Pros
free lunches, free breakfasts, breaks, exhibits, fun environment
Cons
communication, punctuality
Fun productive workplace
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2013
Instant gratification. Had the opportunity to help other improve their life-style. Learned a great deal from assisting at risk youth. Management was very involved with employees. This was a grant position--grant was not renewed.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
contractual
Fun for the youth, not the employees
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  washington, dcMay 14, 2012
Management is horrid, in particular the Director of Social Services...the LAYC mission is not as important as making money and getting bigger...I was greatly disappointed during my employment at LAYC.
A really fun place with lots to learn
Media/Youth Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2014
Learn all sorts of things from media to arts & craft. Walking distance from home. Administration were nice to work with. Different cultures and backgrounds and heritages.
Filling paper work.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 19, 2014
I did this as a requirement for me to graduate from high school. i was to complete 100 hours of communite service hours. I would get in to work 1- 4:00 pm. It was very fun and i got to meet so many great people.
Pros
great company
Cons
no lunch.
Laid back while moving forward!
Foster Care Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 7, 2014
LAYC maintains a laid back environment that fosters productivity, excellence and professional growth. I am only leaving due to relocation. I will miss this place.
Very funny
Hall Monitor (Former Employee) –  Washington DCFebruary 22, 2012
Why I say its very funny because I was a Hall Monitor with LAYC. Something I never thought I wood be because I didn't like the hall monitors when I was young. But the kids wanted to go to class, very respectful an I enjoyed every minute of it.
Pros
helping kids stay in class and school
Cons
temporary

Comment – July 19, 2012

"wood" from a tree...you mean would

front desk and peer educate
Peer Educator/Temporary Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 24, 2012
answer phones , take messages, planned events for lgbtq students, educated the youth on sexually health. i can defently say that i learn new things everyday, it's calleneging at times but i push threw everytime.
I love working with the office
Administrative Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2013
I was an admin for the summer working with LAYC, but it was interesting because the people that we were working with were very diverse. It was an amazing work experience for me.
Loved It.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.September 15, 2014
I loved voluenteering at LAYC because of the good vibes and great energy that i was always surrouned by.
Pros
walking distance from home
It was okay
Helped assist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2013
It was only a summer job so i did not really like it. I had it when i was 16 years old.