Laureate Education Employee Reviews in United States

Productive work environment with a lot of learning opportunities
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 2, 2016
Overall, Laureate provides their employees with the potential to learn and grow in various skill sets. Although, it can be a high volume environment, employees benefit from the gains of hands on work and team members with high levels of expertise.
Micro-management and No Career building
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2016
you are expected to work in the same position and same salary even 10 years from the day you join. please get a life! you are not stated about the work expectation but it is designed so that you get to work 24x7
Pros
learn
Cons
burn
Loved Internship at Laureate
GPS Financial Reporting Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 19, 2016
Loved every second of employment at Laureate Education. As an Intern I worked on multiple accounting projects including bank reconciliations,and a fixed asset project. It was all very doable and I would recommend the internship to anyone who is just starting out intermediate accounting.
Pros
Culture, Learning Environment, Great Managment
Cons
Commute through downtown
Great Place to Work
Senior Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 15, 2015
Great atmosphere. Fun place to work. Many opportunities for advancement. Great benefits. Management helped to achieve goals and was interested in promoting future within company.
Pros
Many Free lunches/ dinners
Cons
Worked long hours/ unexpected weekends
Overall rating was a 1.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MarylandAugust 25, 2015
Mangagement sucks! Managers do not support the employee's desire to learn and grow. They do not give enough training and then blame the person for not understanding because of that. The people are disrespectful.
Pros
I learned a lot.
Cons
I had to learn on my own because they are not supportive and did not give enough training.
Challenging
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 29, 2015
Responsible for managing correspondence
Student database upkeep
OPen communication between departments, myself and applying student.
Good core values on paper. Terrible in practicing them.
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 21, 2015
If you want to have a life outside of the office, stay away. This company is all about the bottom line at the expense of their tools and their employees. The systems they use are archaic and they expect continued improvement from perpetually degrading systems.Which leads to 70 hour work weeks and minimal gains.

This organization is full of brilliant people with wonderful ideas but they don't have nearly enough functional expertise. They want to reinvent the wheel using squarish stones.
Pros
smart people
Cons
everyone is a manager and no one knows how to work anything
Productive Educational Work Environment
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 21, 2015
A typical day at work, was to pull any updated information for teachers who called in to re-certify their teaching certification. Answer phones with cheerfulness and clarity. Go into the teacher record file on the computer or make a new computer file and update and enroll and send out materials to the teachers.

I learned a lot about different personalities calling in, Great customer Service, great management and great co-workers all working together.

The hardest part of the job if any two people were absent you had a lot of phone calls to answer and not leave anyone on hold for over a certain period of time. It was a small office of about 8 people within a larger organization with other departments.

Most enjoyable were the supervisors .
Pros
celebration of differnt holidays and events we held at the office. great salaty and benefits.
Cons
my department had aout 4 different superviors within 5 years.
Great Company
Regional Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 27, 2014
Great company with many divisions and regional offices. If you are remote employee it is more difficult to find opportunity's word in script. However few are located at a physical location, opportunity's are always available and they like to promote from within. It is a large organization and with a little networking the possibilities are endless. Walden learning experience was mediocre.
A hard working enviornment concentrated on revenue more than its employees
Analyst (Current Employee) –  MDMay 18, 2014
Laureate has a great model when it comes to building an online brand. But it spends way too much time on the bottom line and very little time on the people who help produce that revenue.
Pros
good model
Cons
poor employee management
Productive work place
Video Conference Administrator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MarylandMay 6, 2014
Working there was enjoyable. Good benefit was having full gym with pool downstairs
great environment and supportive people
Student Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 9, 2014
gret place to work. real culture of synergy. great location. lunch truck. very supportive.
A Start Up Company with Corparate Money
Tier 1 & 2 Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 7, 2013
Duties include: Local site debrief/ Phone Queue and Rapid Response Queue login.

Apply and execute Remote and Desk-side IT administration support.

Team Lead and Managers are always available and accessible.

Team Mates are very knowledgeable and supportive.

Communication of end-user's role and responsibility with Employer issued equipment.

Helping people and learning new innovative practices and tools to advance my IT knowledge.
Pros
managment and team very supportive.
Cons
entitlement issues with all staff and faculty.
Productive and Motivated HR Profesional
Global Faculty Recruiter (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 1, 2013
I really enjoy recruiting and education. I have the opportunity to do both at this job as I recruit for professors.
Inbound Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore MDSeptember 12, 2013
fielded inbound customer service calls

created new files for students

updated student files
Productive and fun workplace
Enrollment Advisor and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 9, 2013
I learned that being myself will take me a long way. The leadership team helped developed ways for employees to grow and cared about our well-being. The most enjoyable part was changing people's lives through education and being the project coordinator for the Ronald McDonald House Charity. The hardest part was saying good-bye.
Aweful place to work
customer service (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 25, 2013
All I can say is.....RUN THE OTHER WAY IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
management, parking
One of the Worst Employment Experiences
marketing manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 17, 2013
I agree whole heartedly with a previous poster. Although Laureate runs universities and colleges, the culture is VERY corporate. Most people are nice, at least on the surface. However, upper management are cutthroats. When I started they seemed like very decent people. However, within a year or two, those great people left and jerks replaced them. Ethics and people (students and employees) are not very important to upper management. Expect to work late frequently or take home that work, put a lot of time and energy into it, and receive little, if any, credit or appreciation. After that keeps happening, you will start sending out your resume in hopes of landing a better job and better employer. However, here's the cherry on the cake: your employment contract with them will have a "no compete" clause barring you from work with a competitor after you leave. In this economy, that's crazy!

Upper management only cares about the bottom line...making money and fattening their wallets. The marketing department at Walden is huge! Most colleges do not have marketing departments. Many students who start Walden do not graduate, and the tuition is outrageous! So, they are left with no degree and huge student loan debt. Some who study certain programs do not even realize that they won't be able to practice their chosen occupation in their state because the program is unaccredited.

When I resigned, I was not given an exit survey to complete despite requesting this of the HR staff person. I followed up by sending an email to him after I left, and he still wouldn't send me the survey to complete.
  more... So, I can only think that they don't care about improving things. Fortunately, I was able to land my dream job and am very happy now.  less
Pros
okay benefits
Cons
greedy, unethical upper management, "no compete" clause, overworked, underpaid, no room for advancement, high turnover, tiny cubicles, sick leave could be much better
the worst professional experience in my life
course developer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 27, 2013
do you want to have a life outside of the office? forget it, then laureate is not for you. cheap slave drivers who spilt outrageous profits among the few at the very top while others come to office completely burned out with stomach in knots after an endless string of sleepless nights, that is until you wise up and leave. top management is all smiles & sweet as they stab each other in the back. don't bother unless you don't believe in life/work balance. everyone there is miserable (because they are overworked although iin general a nice group of people, not everyone though. when you walk in, take a look around you. the people you see won't be around for long. they find new jobs as soon as they figure out that the workload isn't seasonal, but just plain old work culture at Laureate Ed.. most in all divisions of the company leave after a year or two. management will find another sucker to take their place. one division just walked out and said enough is enough. they are smart.
Pros
lots of free food; smart, talented colleagues
Cons
lots of type a personality types, if you aren't a shark don't bother, management burns you out and they could care less, outrageous workload, will drive smart and talented colleagues out within a short amout of time
Poor management, no growth opportunity
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 21, 2013
very poor management and no room to grow with the company. Raises do not exist. Micro-managed and treated like a child. No support from management, HR or leadership. Will only do well if you are a 'yes' kind of person who will jump off the ethical cliff with everyone else. Don't expect them to care about your personal life or family either.
Pros
good benefits, pay is ok
Cons
poor management and leadership, no room for growth, micro-managed, low raises, unethical enviroment