Laureate Education Employee Reviews

Not too bad but not fun or inspiring.
Technical Support (contractor) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 19, 2016
Working at the help desk here is certainly not for everyone. Laureate has about 500 applications to accommodate all of the schools on their network. Combine that with a strict budget and a general lack of understanding when it comes to computers and you're in for some interesting times.

Several of the systems have trouble communicating with one another creating hiccups for students and teachers alike. No only that but certain software that have become vital to daily operations are very old and have conflicts, frequent crashes, and other issues that make things tougher for techs and end-users.

The people are nice and the compensation is good but but the stress is pretty high and consistent.And there's always a system that you haven't heard of and weren't trained on, this is true even for veterans due to the constant shifts and alterations along with the sheer depth of the Laureate Network.
Pros
Good pay, professional co-workers
Cons
Cubicle environment, frequent/random calls, frequent emails, outdated hard and software
A great place to have freedom and pursue other (Education, trade, skill) avenues while having a good paying with consistent hours plus overtime .
Enrollment Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2016
Responsible for educating and giving consultative support for qualified students in achieving their Professional and Academic goal by enrolling in one of the Higher Education programs. Constant communication & cooperation with other departments such as: IT, Admissions, Academic Advising, Student Affairs, SST, Operations, Billing, Financial Aid, and other Colleges/Universities. Consistently monitored and was judged on enrollment sales, client retention, effective communication, completed applications, student experience, and goals obtained.

I learned much more regarding the education system and dealing with people from all different backgrounds and styles of life. I also learned to be more effective & deliberate in Account Management & Sales.

Management was good at overcoming objections.

My co-workers were probably the most educated people I have ever worked with so I needed to be sharp, quick, unintimidated, and flexible in learning.

The most difficult or hardest thing was learning how to deal with unprofessionalism in the work place and the consistent organizational restructuring.

The most enjoyable aspect was threefold:

1. Benefits were absolutely phenomenal

2. I enjoy people and meeting so many various types of people was great! Along with learning from there experiences helped me to lear how to relate better with completely different people.

3. I like retaining the customer! I receive satisfaction upon building rapport with clients and obtaining there motivation to further gravitate to closing the sale ( I am very competitive).
Great Place to Work
Senior Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 15, 2015
Great atmosphere. Fun place to work. Many opportunities for advancement. Great benefits. Management helped to achieve goals and was interested in promoting future within company.
Pros
Many Free lunches/ dinners
Cons
Worked long hours/ unexpected weekends
Great company with a fast growing
Regional IC & SOX Compliance Director (Current Employee) –  Santiago, ChileJuly 20, 2016
Currently the company is moving into an IPO and complex internal arrangements.

A great experience working on the lead worldwide higher education market.
Loved Internship at Laureate
GPS Financial Reporting Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 19, 2016
Loved every second of employment at Laureate Education. As an Intern I worked on multiple accounting projects including bank reconciliations,and a fixed asset project. It was all very doable and I would recommend the internship to anyone who is just starting out intermediate accounting.
Pros
Culture, Learning Environment, Great Managment
Cons
Commute through downtown
High Volume company
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 8, 2016
Very High Volume, multitasking, busy and fun environment. Staying busy is very easy and there is always something to take on. It is common to learn by error, and often the only way, as it is so fast paced.
superb
Lead .Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 19, 2016
i was really happy to work with laureate education. but unfortunately my project was ended.

thanks for giving me a chance to work the firm.
Micro-management and No Career building
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2016
you are expected to work in the same position and same salary even 10 years from the day you join. please get a life! you are not stated about the work expectation but it is designed so that you get to work 24x7
Pros
learn
Cons
burn
Productive Educational Work Environment
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 21, 2015
A typical day at work, was to pull any updated information for teachers who called in to re-certify their teaching certification. Answer phones with cheerfulness and clarity. Go into the teacher record file on the computer or make a new computer file and update and enroll and send out materials to the teachers.

I learned a lot about different personalities calling in, Great customer Service, great management and great co-workers all working together.

The hardest part of the job if any two people were absent you had a lot of phone calls to answer and not leave anyone on hold for over a certain period of time. It was a small office of about 8 people within a larger organization with other departments.

Most enjoyable were the supervisors .
Pros
Celebration of differnt holidays and events we held at the office. Great salaty and benefits.
Cons
My department had aout 4 different superviors within 5 years.
Very stable work place.
International Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 18, 2016
Very nice, comfortable, professional atmosphere. Make no mistake, it's a sales job. Just don't plan on making good money.
Poor management, no growth opportunity
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 21, 2013
very poor management and no room to grow with the company. Raises do not exist. Micro-managed and treated like a child. No support from management, HR or leadership. Will only do well if you are a 'yes' kind of person who will jump off the ethical cliff with everyone else. Don't expect them to care about your personal life or family either.
Pros
good benefits, pay is ok
Cons
poor management and leadership, no room for growth, micro-managed, low raises, unethical enviroment
Procurement
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2016
Daily tasks included working out of assigned ticketing system.

Creating requisitions for approval and dispatching purchase orders to vendors via Peoplesoft.
Tibco Developer with 9 + Years
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 21, 2016
Working as a senior developer in Laureate Education.
Laureate is into education domain, they have different institutions like Walden, UOR/UOL, NSAD...etc.
Productive work environment with a lot of learning opportunities
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 2, 2016
Overall, Laureate provides their employees with the potential to learn and grow in various skill sets. Although, it can be a high volume environment, employees benefit from the gains of hands on work and team members with high levels of expertise.
the worst professional experience in my life
course developer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 27, 2013
do you want to have a life outside of the office? forget it, then laureate is not for you. cheap slave drivers who spilt outrageous profits among the few at the very top while others come to office completely burned out with stomach in knots after an endless string of sleepless nights, that is until you wise up and leave. top management is all smiles & sweet as they stab each other in the back. don't bother unless you don't believe in life/work balance. everyone there is miserable (because they are overworked although iin general a nice group of people, not everyone though. when you walk in, take a look around you. the people you see won't be around for long. they find new jobs as soon as they figure out that the workload isn't seasonal, but just plain old work culture at Laureate Ed.. most in all divisions of the company leave after a year or two. management will find another sucker to take their place. one division just walked out and said enough is enough. they are smart.
Pros
lots of free food; smart, talented colleagues
Cons
lots of type a personality types, if you aren't a shark don't bother, management burns you out and they could care less, outrageous workload, will drive smart and talented colleagues out within a short amout of time
One of the Worst Employment Experiences
marketing manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 17, 2013
I agree whole heartedly with a previous poster. Although Laureate runs universities and colleges, the culture is VERY corporate. Most people are nice, at least on the surface. However, upper management are cutthroats. When I started they seemed like very decent people. However, within a year or two, those great people left and jerks replaced them. Ethics and people (students and employees) are not very important to upper management. Expect to work late frequently or take home that work, put a lot of time and energy into it, and receive little, if any, credit or appreciation. After that keeps happening, you will start sending out your resume in hopes of landing a better job and better employer. However, here's the cherry on the cake: your employment contract with them will have a "no compete" clause barring you from work with a competitor after you leave. In this economy, that's crazy!

Upper management only cares about the bottom line...making money and fattening their wallets. The marketing department at Walden is huge! Most colleges do not have marketing departments. Many students who start Walden do not graduate, and the tuition is outrageous! So, they are left with no degree and huge student loan debt. Some who study certain programs do not even realize that they won't be able to practice their chosen occupation in their state because the program is unaccredited.

When I resigned, I was not given an exit survey to complete despite requesting this of the HR staff person. I followed up by sending an email to him after I left, and he still wouldn't send me the survey to
  more... complete. So, I can only think that they don't care about improving things. Fortunately, I was able to land my dream job and am very happy now.  less
Pros
Okay benefits
Cons
Greedy, unethical upper management, "no compete" clause, overworked, underpaid, no room for advancement, high turnover, tiny cubicles, sick leave could be much better
Aweful place to work
customer service (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 25, 2013
All I can say is.....RUN THE OTHER WAY IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
management, parking
Global Education Company
HR Manager/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisJanuary 5, 2012
A student-centered organization with unlimited ideas an opportunities for expanding the student experience. We have 4 prestigious campus-based schools in the U.S. as well as two English/Spanish online platform schools. Our International networks allows for tremendous student exchange opportunities.
Pros
$10 parking, culinary students =food all day, promotion opportunities
Cons
busy busy bees, busy bees!
Overall rating was a 1.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MarylandAugust 25, 2015
Mangagement sucks! Managers do not support the employee's desire to learn and grow. They do not give enough training and then blame the person for not understanding because of that. The people are disrespectful.
Pros
I learned a lot.
Cons
I had to learn on my own because they are not supportive and did not give enough training.
Good core values on paper. Terrible in practicing them.
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 21, 2015
If you want to have a life outside of the office, stay away. This company is all about the bottom line at the expense of their tools and their employees. The systems they use are archaic and they expect continued improvement from perpetually degrading systems.Which leads to 70 hour work weeks and minimal gains.

This organization is full of brilliant people with wonderful ideas but they don't have nearly enough functional expertise. They want to reinvent the wheel using squarish stones.
Pros
smart people
Cons
everyone is a manager and no one knows how to work anything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Laureate Education. Our community is ready to answer.