LaVida Massage Employee Reviews

Wasnt my favorite job.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 14, 2015
The pay was not competitive enough and the staff seemed to play favorites with the therapists. Not welcoming or inviting. A fairly new business with room to improve in customer service and support of staff members and therapists. Front desk was unprofessional.
Massage is my heartbeat
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 18, 2015
Massage is my heartbeat. Its what I love to do and this place allowed me the platform to express what I love to do. It is such a wonderful thing to be in a place where your boss and everyone around you believes in the things that you do.
Will never work for this place again
Receptionist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willowbrook, ILJune 3, 2015
LaVida is a great place to work at with the workflow, responsibility and duty. It's more than a receptionist job, it's pretty much a sales job to get people to sign up for memberships to compensate for the amount of money being put out for advertisement. High customer service skills is required with the amount of face to face interaction and time spent on the phone.

The only gripe I had with the place is my manager, she was condescending, unprofessional and talked to me in a shaming way.

Training is not paid for until 90 days afterwards, which is unfortunate. There are no lunch breaks since the receptionist is the only person at the front.

A typical day for the spa duties include: assigning rooms to the massage therapists, scheduling appts, taking payments, keeping up with cleanliness of each massage room, counting the cash drawer and front petty cash, scanning intake forms and answering the phone.

Although my employment there was short lived, I did learn a lot with front desk skills that usually aren't dished out unless you have a degree of some sort. Which is probably why the position starts at minimum wage.

This place is a great way to start any front desk career or sales. Just wish it had better management.
Cons
no breaks
Productive, peaceful,exciting work environment
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2015
Every day presented new challenges. Never boring. Excellent staff that maintained top notch professionalism at all times. Easy to work with. Relaxed, family oriented environment. Very enjoyable experience overall.
Pros
discounted massages
Productive and great clientel
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington Twp and Rochester Hills, MIDecember 27, 2014
I really like this job. It's personable with clients, engaging, and satisfying. I've also learned quite a lot. The only thing I don't like is the management. I feel as if I'm being talked about behind my back a lot. (as I hear from my coworkers) and when I am confronted about a situation, I feel attacked. It's unprofessional and just plain rude.
Pros
nice coworkers, free massage once a month, awesome atmosphere
Cons
management
Massage
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Excelsior, MNDecember 17, 2014
The clients were friendly but they were trying to cross promote the massage clients into facial clients.
Pros
i was the only esthetician
Cons
flow of clients
Productive, Friendly enviornment
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJuly 17, 2014
Show up about 15 to 30 mintues before my shift starts. Sign out at room, make sure its all nice and neat and the bed warmer is on. Get lotion bottle ready and wait till client shows up. Everyone is very friendly and very professional.
Pros
good pay, relaxing environment.
Cons
not busy enough.
decent pay but owners take advantage
Front Desk, sales associate (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXJuly 9, 2014
pushed constantly to be pushy about memberships even though it is supposed to be "no pressure" for the client. Sales are fairly easy but get scorned at if one is not made. Owners are also the managers but rarely ever there to actually see what goes on. Lots of He said She said. Co workers are friendly get to see new faces everyday. Front desk people end up being responsible for entire store including doing laundry and being left completely alone in store, rarely get breaks, management shows up to open and close doors. Hours get cut, and given to newer employees, if you cover a shift they will expect it from you every other time with as little as 3 hours notice.
Pros
decent pay, meet new people
Cons
lunch breaks are rare even during a 8 hour shift, schedule not well worked with
Relaxing place but drama lies inside
Reception/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIApril 29, 2014
Loved the company and the people I worked with! However, the manager relied on me one too many times for advice on how to be a manager and the store manager was never kind nor helped clients.
Pros
relaxing scents and selling memberships
Cons
drama from the management where she emailed us from home
Good company to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIFebruary 1, 2014
I learned more from lavida than any school could have taught me. The owner was more than a boss, he is a friend to his employees. I got promotions and raises according to my performance which were fair. The staff is like a big family which helps the company run smoothly and keeps clients coming back. They do a good job at retaining their staff long term.
Pros
free monthly massages and flexible hours
Cons
no insurance
comfortable and relaxed work place
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Grand Blanc, MIJanuary 16, 2014
I really enjoy working at lavida massage. It had a fun and relaxing atmosphere. My co workers is the number one reason this job was so enjoyable. We had fun while at work while still being professional in front of clients. We learned new massage techniques from each other and were eager to help each other. What i enjoyed most about being a massage therapist is helping my clients to alleviate their issues weather is was acute or chronic.
dead end drama management
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Carrollwood, FLNovember 13, 2013
When I was interviewed for this position, management told me on my down time I would make minimum wage, after a couple of paychecks I realized I wasn't receiving my "down time" pay. When I asked about the pay I was told I would only get the wages if I didn't commission out??? I was still expected to do laundry, dust, and clean bathrooms on my "down time" on a daily basis. I only received commission on the massage services I did, no commission pay for any cleaning or other duties that were assigned. No room for advancement. All of the employees run there mouths about each other, lots of "talking behind backs"
Pros
starting lmt good to get experience
Cons
gossiping employees and management, no pay for doing laundry and cleaning, low commission on services provided.
Clean, Accomodating, and Relaxing Environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 3, 2013
Lavida massage is a fantastic place to work! The owner has the biggest heart and is understanding. The hours are great and the pay is always negotiable. Very respectable place to work for!
Pros
awesome staff and management
Fun and relaxful workplace
Certified Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Excelsior, MNJune 25, 2013
The owners and managers are very caring about their therapists and clients. They do not cheat clients of their massage time and they do not hassle clients about signing up for a massage plan.
Good place to start
MASSAGE THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Johns Creek, GAJune 8, 2013
LaVida kindly builds in 15 minutes between sessions, which is great. Unfortunately, the pay is too low for someone living on one's own and supporting oneself, and there is no room for promotions or adequate raises. There is also no reward for maintaining a recurring clientele. Regardless, it is a good place to gain experience with all types of clients.
A fun envirnment that allows therapists independence and flexibilty with their craft.
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMay 9, 2013
I enjoy working at La Vida Massage and I'm opening new doors to enhance my career working with and helping people in the Human Resouce field or Massage and wellness industry.
Pros
weekly massages
Cons
no health insurace and full time hours are not available
Busy workplace
Massage Therapist / Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Clarkston, MIApril 29, 2013
It's busy, which is great for the massage industry. Management needs work, as well as offering new services. Also no benefits.
Relax at work
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIAugust 7, 2012
I work in a very relaxing environment with great coworkers and an excellent boss.
I provide custom massage to a variety of people with specific needs.
I enjoy all aspects of my job and have no complaints.
good place ,but not enough business
massage therapist (Current Employee) –  mandeville laMay 20, 2012
good place ,but not enough business .great people ,atmosphere,
Pros
being on call, good people
Cons
lack of business, getting paid every 18 days, didnt get payed for being on call or hourly, only by recieving a client