Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Nice place to work at
Materials Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 20, 2015
Tons of available resources, nice work environment and location. The work/life balance is pretty good. The research setting is very nice, and the environment I worked in is collaborative, and interactions are generally constructive.
Very productive place
Chemist Postdoctoral Fellow - Energy Technologies (Current Employee) –  berkeleyOctober 17, 2015
Excellent and productive research environment, dynamic and truly international atmosphere. It is a good place to do science with exceptional research facilities. LBNL is a world-class institution, I would strongly recommend this place to anyone who like to carry out top notch science.
Pros
flexible timings, gorgeous location and excellent benefits
Dynamic Research Enviroment
Sr. Engineering Scientific Associate (Current Employee) –  Berkeley CaliforniaSeptember 21, 2015
Excellent research environment, dynamic and diverse international atmosphere.

Berkley National Laboratory an excellent platform to develop fundamental scientific and engineering skills. Exciting projects at the forefront of new technologies.
a great place to work
Post-doctoral fellow (Former Employee) –  berkeley caAugust 27, 2015
friendly environment, talented co-workers, good work-life balance, and a superb place to learn new things,beautiful and convenient office location
Pros
supportive supervisor, friendly co-workers
Productive and fun work place with amazing location
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  berkeleyAugust 6, 2015
The work environment is great. Lots of opportunities to collaborate with people from different backgrounds. I like the management. Everyone encourages out of the box ideas.
Pros
flexible timings, beautiful location and great benefits
A government job with great benefits
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAAugust 5, 2015
The best part about working at LBNL is the beautiful location. The lab is located in the Berkeley hills surrounded by nature with a beautiful view of the San Francisco Bay. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving new employees, taking their photos for their badges and interacting with them. The hardest part of the job was dealing with bureaucracy.
Overall working at the lab was enjoyable.
Pros
Beautiful location and great benefits.
Cons
Could be very stressful.
Good place for science
Physicist Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 28, 2015
It is a good place to do science. Sometimes can be very bucrocratic. As a postdoc you can't apply to have independent funding which makes the transition to staff quite harsh. Very relaxed environment but the salary is to low for the area.
Pros
great resources, nice work atmosphere
Cons
few vacation days, very bureaucratic
Awesome company to work for
Lead Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJune 11, 2015
A typical day at work for me was pushing paperwork. I worked in the proposals department where I had to obtain signatures of scientist and then submit the proposal for funding. I learned the structure of a proposal and how to submit it for funding for different projects. Management and co-workers were very helpful and always worked together. The hardest part of the job was making sure I paid attention to detail because if one thing was incomplete or wrong on the proposal you would have to start all over because the proposal would get rejected. The most enjoyable part of the job was when our proposal were granted.
Pros
Fun and exciting place to work
Cons
Seeing all the animals that were used for testing purposes.
Requires Dedication, but is Satisfying and Important Work
Research Affiliate-Plasma Applications Group (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 7, 2015
Every work place has it's quirks. Berkeley, pinnacle of innovation though it may be, is no exception. It is a community of people dedicated to scientific advancement and global progress. Though often times the demands of innovation require longer (and sometimes uncompensated) work days if you are a scientist, those who burn the midnight oil do so because it is a labor of love. The support staff at LBNL is wonderful, and always has kind words, warm smiles, and excellent nutrition and coffee available. The view from the laboratory is beautiful, my small desk in a trailer had a perfect view of the Golden Gate Bridge. You meet people from countries you have only seen on maps, from Nobel Laureates to High School interns to Shop Technicians.

Unfortunately, many of the more specialized and theoretical areas of science, my former employers included, your ability to carry out the science you love is entirely dependent on funding. The saying may be "Publish or Perish," but even my Principal Investigator who published over 52 papers in one year, was unable to convince the powers that be to continue the funding of his research.

Though there is a strong sense of camaraderie at LBNL, many scientists are in a perpetual struggle for funding, something that many forget. Berkeley is a world-class institution, and though the lab is expanding, space is limited. I would definitely recommend this place to any scientist I come across, but with a word of encouragement to make the best of your time here. Progress waits for no one.
Pros
Beautiful Campus, Excellent Cafeteria and Location, Tolerant Environment
Cons
Rigorous Work Load, Lots of Required Training, Occasional Mountain Lions
Science at Its Best!
HR Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 28, 2015
"In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) is synonymous with “excellence.” Thirteen Nobel prizes are associated with Berkeley Lab. Seventy Lab scientists are members of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS), one of the highest honors for a scientist in the United States. Thirteen of our scientists have won the National Medal of Science, our nation’s highest award for lifetime achievement in fields of scientific research. Eighteen of our engineers have been elected to the National Academy of Engineering, and three of our scientists have been elected into the Institute of Medicine. In addition, Berkeley Lab has trained thousands of university science and engineering students who are advancing technological innovations across the nation and around the world.

Berkeley Lab is a member of the national laboratory system supported by the U.S. Department of Energy through its Office of Science. It is managed by the University of California (UC) and is charged with conducting unclassified research across a wide range of scientific disciplines. Located on a 200-acre site in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus that offers spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay, Berkeley Lab employs approximately 4,200 scientists, engineers, support staff and students."
Pros
Fun place to work, great people and benefits, amazing science and spectacular views!
Cons
There are none.
Overall EH$S is a poor place to work with present management.
Certification/Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 26, 2015
The Manager in Waste Management is an undesirable person to work for, not knowledge of the regulations, and lacks people skills.
Potential
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 21, 2015
I enjoy my work at LBNL. As a graduate research assistant it allows me to work on projects I enjoy with flexibility and the salary is reasonable for a graduate student to live on in the bay area.
Well balanced work environment
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Provides a great place to work and strive in professional field. A great combination of personal growth and opportunity to contribute to the world class science performed at the lab.
One of the best research laboratory in the world
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 17, 2015
The scientists and engineers at LBNL are top-notch. Exciting science everyday. You never get bored here. I went to bed every night excited about the next day.
Number one Research Lab in the USA
PhD candidate (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 20, 2014
Fully founded by the US Department of Energy.
Many top scientist worked there.
Co-worker are friendly and talented.
The hardest part is publishing research papers.
very motivated and productive company
Lab Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  EmeryvilleOctober 16, 2014
This is a very famous company in the nation, most of the noble prize owners came out form LBNL. I like working here because it is a very dynamic and productive place. Everyone here is bright and helpful. I find interested and funny here in LBNL.
Could be a really great place to work except for the management
Computer Software Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 8, 2014
The site is great - the hills above U.C. Berkeley. The offices were a cube farm with coffin sized 6'x8' cubes in the building with shipping / receiving. There is an onsite cafeteria, but the same company runs it that runs food service for the University... Management didn't seem to know which way to go - sent us all to a couple of months of Agile development training and then bought a project management package tied to waterfall development and required us all to work waterfall projects. Published coding standards then said things like "you should have been doing what everyone else was doing." Seemed to give the development staff all of the responsibility for a successful project, with none of the authority or cooperation of the owning department to get anything done. There were a lot of "adhoc" projects with no clear requirements before coding started, leading to lots of "feature creep" and unending projects. I learned a lot about radiological experimentation and the Dept. of Energy regulations. Being a research site, they had one of just about every environment you can think of, so I also learned quite a bit about different environments - Solaris, Java, Oracle Forms, Telerik tools, .Net, MVC, Silverlight, Azure, etc.
Pros
the physical site - beautiful, quiet, etc., sort of university culture.
Cons
management didn't follow through with just about anything they did.
good environment with lots of hands on experience
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 14, 2014
Days were busy and well-filled. I really enjoyed the people I worked with. I learned much about the Climate and Carbon Sciences by working in the Earth Science Division.
Excellent enviorment to work in; professional atmosphere.
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 9, 2014
I truly enjoyed my experience working for "Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Everyone I encountered was extremely professional and level headed. I would love to have the privilege
of working permanently for this employer.
limitations in job advancement
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAAugust 21, 2014
Well-organized Federal institute, but very much depending on the grant from individual PIs

4.2