Lawrence General Hospital Employee Reviews

Used to be a great place to work, but things have changed
Staff Nurse, RN (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 3, 2013
Get your assignment, receive bedside report, do your assessments, document findings,do discharges when approriate, do admissions when approriate, takes off orders, look up lab work, medicate as ordered,do hourly rounding, assess patient everytime you entered the room, treatments, dsg changes,etc, educate as needed,document.

Learning of different cultures, and different ways of doing things and time management.

Management does not stand behind their nurses. If a problem arose, the nurse was always to blame. There is a big problem with some levels of management and "clicks".

Most co-workers were awesome. We would work as a team when possible. If one was having a bad day or assignment, we would try to ease the load and help out.

The hardest part of the job was having a really tough assigned and having others just sitting around talking or on their phones/ipads, etc.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my interactions with my patients and their families and my colleagues. Taking the time to spend with that one patient who just needs someone to talk to, or who needs a hug or a hand to hold.
Pros
good pay, good bene package
Cons
short lunch breaks, unfair assignments and no support from management
Productive Great place to grow
Retail Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 5, 2013
Responsible for prepping Breakfast and Lunch.
Prepared food items consistently and in compliance with recipes, portioning, cooking and waste
control guidelines.
Verified proper portion sizes and consistently attained high food quality standards.
Maintained smooth and timely operations in preparation and delivery of meals and kitchen sanitation.
Properly labeled and stored all raw food ingredients including produce, meat, fish, poultry, dairy and dry
goods in the appropriate storage room, walk-in refrigerator, freezer or cooler.
Changed and sanitized all cutting boards, benches and surfaces when beginning a new task to avoid
cross-contamination.
Cooked and served food and meals in accordance with planned menus, diet plans, recipes, portions,
temperature control procedures and facility policies.
Practiced safe food handling procedures at all times.
Promptly reported any maintenance and repair issues to Executive Chef.
Pros
free fountain drinks
Working at Lawrence General is a positive experience, fast paced and offers te opportunity to learn something every day.
Transcriptionist/Certified Voice Editor (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAApril 10, 2014
Every day offers a variety of different specialties to transcribe, the opportunity to broaden my knowledge of techniques, infection control, surgical procedures and equipment etc. enabling me to further improve turn around time.

Management is cooperative and willing to listen to issues.

the hardest part of the job is getting to understand different accents, it is a skill I have developed over the past ten years.

I do like working at home. The home office has less distractions and more productivity. However, there is a definite benefit to working in an office, another opinion on a word or sentence is always useful. Right now we use Skype and DocQ to listen when requested.
Pros
home office with working in house when asked.
Cons
disadvantage of not having other transcriptionists to give an opinion on a word or sentence.
Support Patients with Insurance Services
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 13, 2012
Help selfpay patients obtain insurance benefits, collect balance and Hmo payments. I learned that a smile can change someones whole day because no matter how hard you think your life is, there is someone out there who has it worst. Management was unfair and mostly concern about gossip, not real life issues, Most didn't know how to use the system. Coworkers where like family. The hardest par tof this job is seeing someone die and hearing their family cry. The most enjoyable part of the job is making someone smile.
Pros
help patients, meet new people, fast tracking system
Cons
micro management, eat lunch at your desk, no breaks, no advancement and company growth.
I was a recep[tionist
Radiological Technician Student (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MANovember 14, 2015
I was trying to get into the xray program so I got ajob working in xray so I could meet the teachers and techs and learn what my future was going to hold. I nmeeded to put myself through chool so I wanted to make sure I new that what I was going to be paing for was what I wantyed to do. i worked om ,editecha n dleaned so so muc. I made 12 dollors an hous at 19 ND APPRECAITED THE JOB SO MUCH. A WHOLE FUTURE LAID RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. WHAT A HAHY TIME. i WEIGHT 140 AND i WAS 5'9 AT 19.
Pros
when your young you dream so big
Cons
when you do it allalone its so hard and you dont eat much cause you cant afford too.
If you want to learn Lawrence General is the best place to do so hands down.
Secretary / Aide (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 26, 2014
I loved working at Lawrence General Hospital. My experience there was great there wasn't a i time that i can remember where i was not learning something new. While working on Russell 4 Medial surgical I experienced a bit of everything. I able to work with patients with mental instability to diabetic patients on dialysis. I very thankful that opportunity because it taught me who deal with difficult patients, who to be supportive of families with dying loved ones. Overall if had to go back to Lawrence General i would do i in a heart beat.
great learning experience
Food and Nutrition Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MASeptember 11, 2013
I am currently the night time supervisor at Lawrence General Hospital. I resolve customer complaints regarding food service. I am also able to train employees in food preparation, and in service, sanitation, and safety procedures. Some of my other duties included observing and evaluating employees and work procedures to ensure quality standards and service, and completing disciplinary write-ups. I assign duties, responsibilities, and work stations to employees in accordance with work requirements, providing employee orientation and training, and conducting supervisory activities, such as creating work schedules or organizing employee time off sheets. I also perform financial activities such as cash handling and deposit preparation.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hours
Excellent pay, good team work, revolving management
RN BSN (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 26, 2015
Staff RN for maternity/nursery unit. Working with other RN's who are passionate about the care of their patients with teamwork, high level of knowledge and experience. Management is reasonable but unfortunately no accountability for the changes they have imposed in the past and have been unwilling to listen to concerns. Assignments are fair. Patient population is multicultural and include many socioeconomic classes. Enjoy learning new medical information from interns at this teaching hospital.
Pros
Excellent pay, retirement and education benefits, excellent RN's to work with
Cons
Revolving management, Education teaching is lacking, healthcare benefits
Productive and fun work place.
Volunteer/ Seasonal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMay 11, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of stocking/preparing rooms for examinations and procedures. Running Laboratory Analysis as wel as checking vital signs.Transporting patients from department to department. I learned how to maintain a comfortable patient flow for employees as well as patients. My co-workers were helpful as well as reliable. Fun group of people who had oustanding work ethics and morals. The hardest part about the job was going home and the most enjoyable was knowing that I mad someones day better.
Pros
meeting new people and experiencing different things.
Fast paced, friendly, team players, learn something new every day.
Medical Assistant (externship) (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 25, 2016
There is no typical day as far as not knowing what to expect when walking into work. Although, doing everything we have to do to help patients is what gets done. Everyday we learn something new from each other. It is a pleasure working with the management team. Any time I needed help or a hand with work or with a patient, there was always someone available to assist. The hardest part is going into work everyday not knowing what to expect. The most enjoyable part of the day is doing all possible to helping patients with the best care.

Want to know more about Lawrence General Hospital?

Ask a question
Productive Busy Hospital
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 23, 2015
The Hospital Is a large growing Community Hospital. It has great Departments and Hard working staff. However in the recent years do to health care reform the employees no longer benefit as greatly as in past years. The co-workers are really the staple of the job. It is not an easy job by any means very demanding and stressful. Loving what you do makes all the difference.
The best part of the job is the commute and great people you work with. Also providing great patient care and experience!!
Pros
commute, co-workers
Cons
not enough hands on management
fast paced , and always a challenge
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 1, 2014
Working as an EMT for Lgh has been great so far. We are 6 months into the new bls service, and things are really taking shape. Management always has your back, and everyone in the department is extremely knowledgeable, and always willing to teach . if you are looking to work in a busy 911 system, this is it! Brush up on your Spanish though!
Pros
excellent pay, descent benefits, new trucks, knowledgeable staff
Cons
new system, still getting some of the bugs out.
Needs Improvement
Census Controller (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 6, 2013
I love my job and what it intales. It has been overall a very great learning experience. The job can be abit overwhelming. I get along with my co-workers. the hardest part of the position is not getting the support from upper management. I enjoy very much working wth the nursing administrative staff and supervisors.
Pros
set schedule, able to learn on a dad to day basis
Cons
not able to take breaks, at times not able to take lunch, no coverage/backup, personal days lost
Poor work moral and poor leadership
System Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 30, 2015
Typical day is busy. Like most work places you meet good and bad co-workers. Lots of work to be done with a lot of hard working people. The lack of moral stems from top management down. Poor benefits and lack of hospital wide camaraderie. Meeting new people for the most part is a plus and in some ways the ability to learn from a different environment is always a plus. Potential is there to make a change of hospital moral, but new leadership is needed.
Pros
If you live local the lack of a commute is a plus
Cons
Poor benefits and employee moral
Good Place to work.
Medical biller/Imaging Processor (Current Employee) –  1 General Street, Lawrence MassMay 21, 2015
My co-workers are friendly and most of the time cooperative with each other. Supervisor are always willing to help with any issues pertaning to your job or personal. The hardest part of my job is keeping up with all the paper work given to me. I always give it my best try to keep track of everthing given over to me for scanning. I enjoy working with my co workers they keep me going and supporitve too.
Pros
Good work ethics
Cons
Can be overwellming sometimes
Awesome Place to work - my department anyway
IS Department (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 18, 2014
I work in the IS department, great coworkers, respectful and appreciative management who are willing to listen and make changes to help and support their staff.

However, other departments are not so lucky. Management could learn a few lessons from the way IS is run and the level of transparency and communication. IS staff can trust their team and management, not the same for other areas within the hospital.
Pros
great team, great management, best department in the hospital
Cons
busy department, always on the move, hospital needs more restrooms for all employees
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJune 16, 2014
I worked the last 34 years with the Best most dedicated staff .Very busy with lots of oppourtunities for teaching and assisting patients You knew who to ask for assistance and we all had multiple experences to go by for ideas the physcians would listen to you and usually would follow thru with a suggestion that was made.
Pros
very close to home great knowledge base
Cons
changes in policey
VERY FUN PLACE TO WORK FOR
Transportation Technician (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 29, 2014
VERY BUSY HOSPITAL , EVERYONE WORKS AS A TEAM , ALWAYS SOMETHING TO DO, CO WORKERS WERE SO MUCH FUN TO WORK WITH WE WERE LIKE A BIG FAMILY ,THE HARDEST PART OF MY JOB WAS SEEING HOW SICK AND HURT THE PATIENTS WERE,, THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF MY JOB WAS BEING ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF THE PATIENTS
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Amazing opportunities
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 21, 2015
The lab team were more like family than co workers. Management was very understanding and helpful. They would push employees to continue to further their education. Excellent communication with office staff throughout the different sites. Most enjoyable part was the points the employees would get for their hard work, making us feel appreciated.
I enjoyed working at Lawrence General Hospital
Dietetic Technician (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAOctober 2, 2014
I am retired now, I am not looking to work in nutrition.

Since I now have some responsibilities for helping with a granddaughter when her mother has to work I hope to find a job that can work around that such as driving folks to doctors and the like.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
working weekends and holidays