Lawrence Hall Youth Services Employee Reviews in United States

current approach doesn't work
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2016
The youth are in no way held accountable for their actions. They can destroy property, threaten staff or even hit staff and they are in no way held accountable. This is an abuse to the staff and in no way teaches the youth to be law abiding citizens.
Pros
working with at risk youth
Cons
youth not held accountable
Fun and safe Environment to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2015
I start by mopping and sweeping than make my way to the exterior of the building . I learned time management skills on the job and a lot of patience . i liked the job because i stay busy and using my hands . i like working with others because i like team work and being around others
Pros
location peaceful environment
Cons
weather
Typical day
Clinical Compliance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2015
A typical day involves ensuring individuals are completing notes to the highest compliance levels for application. It was a fun job but it needed more structure and support from higher management.
Great learning environment
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2015
A great place to learn, and the company prides itself on keeping up with the state of the art education. The distance was very difficult, difficult finding parking, and traffic is hideous.
Pros
you will enhance clinical skills
Cons
documentation is a monster
Not Great
RTS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2015
LHYS is a poorly run company and the Administration is over-working all the daily workers. This company will be closed within 5 years because of hour poorly it is being run.
Working for lawrece hall
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2015
I love working for lawrence hall, people,work environment was good, I enjoyed the clients, co workers were cool aswell.
Not worth the stress of incompetent managers and administrators
Residential Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago , ILAugust 7, 2014
- I'll be honest, this place is a joke for many reasons. The main one being that the kids are not held accountable for anything that they do. Kids actively bring in drugs into the building and administration does nothing to hold them accountable. The police department are tired of dealing with the kids and will stall to come to LHYS whenever the kids go AWOL or assault another kid or staff.

- Everything is based on how much you bill. If you don't have time to bill due to the severe needs of the children, you are given multiple write ups before they fire you. They are not understanding and expect you to come in on your days off to complete the billings.

- The staff (for the most part) are great and are dedicated to helping the kids. Some are clearly there for the paycheck and are on their cell phones for most of the shifts, but most are willing to assist the kids with anything they need.

- The shifts are crazy. When I was hired, it was the typical 8 hour 8-4 or 2-10 shifts. Now it is 8-8, or 12-12 and you are not given a choice. Many of my co-workers left because it was near impossible to have a life outside of work.

- Administration is burnt out and overwhelmed. LHYS cuts positions and merges them with existing positions. Because of this, administrators are not intune to what is really going on and in turn make poor decisions based on improving LHYS's poor reputation. The reputation is so bad that police officers and DCFS workers asked why I was still with the company.

- Kids actually get worse here. There are kids that come with no criminal histories and minor truancy
  more... issues and they leave either going to DOC, laterally moved to another residential, or run away and never come back. For the most part, this is because there are little services actually offered to these kids and there is no accountability when they break the law or go AWOL to smoke squares or weed. When I started, there was Art therapy, BARJ, Campus Works, and Music Therapy, but now there is only music therapy and Campus Works.

- Recently LHYS closed down their Elgin offices and many employees were laid off. Not a stable place to stay if you plan on making a career with working with at-risk children.

- If you are brand new to social work/psychology and need experience, I would highly recommend other places to work. The pay may be slightly lower in other places, but the hours are steady and there is more support by administration in other agencies. I don't regret leaving LHYS one bit, although I do miss working with the clients.
Pros
pay is higher than most social services, hands on work with the kids, decent co-workers
Cons
management does not know what they are doing have favorites, will fire those that don't meet quotas for medicaid, managers say one things to employees. shifts are also unbearable, staff quickly get burnt out
A long history of advocating for children.
Child Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisAugust 3, 2014
A good place to work with many opportunities for professional growth.
Pros
children's welfare is their first concern.
Cons
they need to invest in their employees and technology.
Negativity all around, management is a joke
Supervisor with no real supervisor powers (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2014
Worked here for over a year, management takes no responsibility for anything and likes to blame others. Work is centered around billing, not true resident care. Staff that have been there for awhile are not held accountable and basically do what they want. No chance for job advancement in any position. Every one is a joke. Company makes plans to advance in many ways when financially unable to do so. Tiny raises. Pay is horrid. No bonuses, no holiday pay. I wish I never worked here to be honest.
Pros
most co-workers are nice
Cons
everything else
Interesting
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2014
I've learned to operate systems that I never knew about or worked with before. No confidentiality with management whatsoever, lack of communication, unorganized and procrastinator everything is last minute.
Pros
helping the children
Cons
management
Most Coworkers are cool
Residential Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2014
Overworked and underpaid... No advancement. Over worked and underpaid. overworked and underpaid. overworked and underpaid. A reflection of how society treats social services.
Not employee friendly
Worker (Former Employee) –  DowntownFebruary 1, 2014
Worked in the foster care program. High turn-over rate. The program director is concern about her career and not staff or families and children. Lends little direction or guidance to the program. Works staff like slaves and does very little work herself. Horrible program to work in. High rate of employee discontentment.
Pros
place to gain experience
Cons
horrible management
Active residential group home homing teens.
Residential Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2013
A typical day consist of managing the milieu assisting clients (8) with independent living skills to increase their independent.I have learned to work with different types of behaviors and personalities.The co-workers work as a team and are very supportive.The job is challenging overall,with the hardest part is dealing with aggression at times.The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to change lives and work with the youth.
Pros
staff are subject to activites transporting the clients, there is some down time which allows you to complete mediacid bills.
Cons
it's a consistent job, you're always watching, moving around, and dealing with clients with angry issues.the great part is givning clients the support they need.
This is the jungle..not for the white American.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Up NorthOctober 4, 2013
I was a supervisor in the boy's unit. I had no suppport from the manager and the youth were running the department. At the time the organization was experiencing some growth and turnover was high as the youth were not accommodating to the new structure (policies and procedures ). However it was the worst job of my career. I was constantly threatened and violated by the youth up close. They were out of control and senior staff could not manage them. From my perspective, everyday was like working in a jungle. The hair on my neck would raise as I entered the unit and one of my white male collegues was severly beaten by the youth.

There isn't much to protect you and the upper staff is white. However this organization serves primarily black male teens and these teens give the whilte males a hard time. They bully and treat that staff aweful. They also disrespect the white female. They were kind enough to respect me sometime. It was always an up hill battle. Not a place I would recommend to anyone and I am a black middle class female.
Pros
they provide services, protection and hope for gay boys
Cons
perhaps 5% of the teen boysthat enter the program succeed
Do not work here
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2013
I know the ins and outs of this place. Management is terrible. There are no people of color in executive management. They lie. They value their numbers and performance rankings more than they care about the youth they serve. They eliminate positions of people who stand up for themselves and a week later replace them with a person/title under a different name. Posted positions are not really available. They are discriminatory on all levels especially race. They devalue employees constantly. I quit because I took a stand and they hated it!
Pros
better pay than most agencies but trust me you will forget about the money
Cons
discriminatory
Excellent work environment.
Residential Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2013
Excellent work environment. The children were great to be around but when it comes to the management and trying to have the children service their consequences that was another story.
A good place to gain non profit experience.
Job Coach/Life Skills Educator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2013
LHYS is a DCFS contractor. The employment environment is supportive.
Pros
lots of training opportunity.
Cons
too many non parents are managers.
only do it if you are desperate
ET (Former Employee) –  chicago, ilAugust 26, 2012
this place needs to re-due their whole program starting from the top. the only people who actually care about the kids are the expressive therapies and social workers. i only made it the short time i was there because of my co-workers, supervisor was horrible.
Productive, learning and moving forward
Residential Counselor Associate/Overnight Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2012
Is coming to work and get cuss out. Working with my coworkers and trying to come up with a better interaction with clients.
Pros
you can go out and enjoy special events
Cons
having fun sometimes
Fun place to work.
Crisis Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2012
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-worker.