Lawrence Hall Youth Services

Lawrence Hall Youth Services Employer Reviews

Most Coworkers are cool
Residential Treatment Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2014
Overworked and underpaid... No advancement. Over worked and underpaid. overworked and underpaid. overworked and underpaid. A reflection of how society treats social services.
Not employee friendly
Worker (Former Employee), DowntownFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: place to gain experience
Cons: horrible management
Worked in the foster care program. High turn-over rate. The program director is concern about her career and not staff or families and children. Lends little direction or guidance to the program. Works staff like slaves and does very little work herself. Horrible program to work in. High rate of employee discontentment.
Active residential group home homing teens.
Residential Treatment Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2013
Pros: staff are subject to activites transporting the clients, there is some down time which allows you to complete mediacid bills.
Cons: it's a consistent job, you're always watching, moving around, and dealing with clients with angry issues.the great part is givning clients the support they need.
A typical day consist of managing the milieu assisting clients (8) with independent living skills to increase their independent.I have learned to work with different types of behaviors and personalities.The co-workers work as a team and are very supportive.The job is challenging overall,with the hardest part is dealing with aggression at times.The most – more... enjoyable part of the job is being able to change lives and work with the youth. – less
This is the jungle..not for the white American.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Up NorthOctober 4, 2013
Pros: they provide services, protection and hope for gay boys
Cons: perhaps 5% of the teen boysthat enter the program succeed
I was a supervisor in the boy's unit. I had no suppport from the manager and the youth were running the department. At the time the organization was experiencing some growth and turnover was high as the youth were not accommodating to the new structure (policies and procedures ). However it was the worst job of my career. I was constantly threatened – more... and violated by the youth up close. They were out of control and senior staff could not manage them. From my perspective, everyday was like working in a jungle. The hair on my neck would raise as I entered the unit and one of my white male collegues was severly beaten by the youth.

There isn't much to protect you and the upper staff is white. However this organization serves primarily black male teens and these teens give the whilte males a hard time. They bully and treat that staff aweful. They also disrespect the white female. They were kind enough to respect me sometime. It was always an up hill battle. Not a place I would recommend to anyone and I am a black middle class female. – less
Do not work here
Program Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: better pay than most agencies but trust me you will forget about the money
Cons: discriminatory
I know the ins and outs of this place. Management is terrible. There are no people of color in executive management. They lie. They value their numbers and performance rankings more than they care about the youth they serve. They eliminate positions of people who stand up for themselves and a week later replace them with a person/title under a different – more... name. Posted positions are not really available. They are discriminatory on all levels especially race. They devalue employees constantly. I quit because I took a stand and they hated it! – less
Excellent work environment.
Residential Treatment Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2013
Excellent work environment. The children were great to be around but when it comes to the management and trying to have the children service their consequences that was another story.
A good place to gain non profit experience.
Job Coach/Life Skills Educator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 31, 2013
Pros: lots of training opportunity.
Cons: too many non parents are managers.
LHYS is a DCFS contractor. The employment environment is supportive.
only do it if you are desperate
ET (Former Employee), chicago, ilAugust 26, 2012
this place needs to re-due their whole program starting from the top. the only people who actually care about the kids are the expressive therapies and social workers. i only made it the short time i was there because of my co-workers, supervisor was horrible.
Productive, learning and moving forward
Residential Counselor Associate/Overnight Lead (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2012
Pros: you can go out and enjoy special events
Cons: having fun sometimes
Is coming to work and get cuss out. Working with my coworkers and trying to come up with a better interaction with clients.
Fun place to work.
Crisis Worker (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2012
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-worker.
a working day a
Life Skills Educator (Former Employee), chicagoJune 22, 2012
a typical day was never dull or uninteresting. i really enjoyed working their. My co workers were ok..
New Management Needed
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 3, 2012
Pros: stable job security
Cons: lack of good management
Hectic most days due to managing staff undermining staff authority and lack of feeling like management was behind you in general.
non-profit organization with a track record of excellence
Executive Vice President of Human Resources (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 29, 2012
Pros: benefits
My responsibilities covered all areas of human resources i.e. recruitment, pre-employment testing, benefits, legal compliance, employee relations, training, investigations, 360 evaluations, competency development, succession planning, and HR metrics.

My co-workers and clients were the most enjoyable part of this job and being able to see results and – more... growth in both.

The most difficult part of this job was probably the termination process both layoffs and performance issues. – less
Very rewarding company.
Crisis Worker (Former Employee), Chicago IlDecember 29, 2011
Pros: flexibility
Cons: far northside
This is a company for individuals who are passionate about working with troubled youth. One must be empathetic and able to create boundaries.