Lawrence Hall Youth Services Employee Reviews

current approach doesn't work
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2016
The youth are in no way held accountable for their actions. They can destroy property, threaten staff or even hit staff and they are in no way held accountable. This is an abuse to the staff and in no way teaches the youth to be law abiding citizens.
Pros
working with at risk youth
Cons
youth not held accountable
Great exercise and being outside.
Caddy (Former Employee) –  Lincolnwood, ILAugust 21, 2016
It was really great exercise. I would arrived there about 6:30am and I could be done by 10am. I was able to work when I wanted to or was able to.
Fun and safe Environment to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2015
I start by mopping and sweeping than make my way to the exterior of the building . I learned time management skills on the job and a lot of patience . i liked the job because i stay busy and using my hands . i like working with others because i like team work and being around others
Pros
location peaceful environment
Cons
weather
Typical day
Clinical Compliance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2015
A typical day involves ensuring individuals are completing notes to the highest compliance levels for application. It was a fun job but it needed more structure and support from higher management.
I learned alot
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  chicago ilSeptember 11, 2015
I enjoyed meeting deadlines. I enjoyed learning from my co workers.
I did learn a lot there. I enjoyed typing the reports, and filing them. It was a very interesting job.
Pros
learned alot
Cons
no breaks or lunchs
Great learning environment
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2015
A great place to learn, and the company prides itself on keeping up with the state of the art education. The distance was very difficult, difficult finding parking, and traffic is hideous.
Pros
you will enhance clinical skills
Cons
documentation is a monster
Negativity all around, management is a joke
Supervisor with no real supervisor powers (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2014
Worked here for over a year, management takes no responsibility for anything and likes to blame others. Work is centered around billing, not true resident care. Staff that have been there for awhile are not held accountable and basically do what they want. No chance for job advancement in any position. Every one is a joke. Company makes plans to advance in many ways when financially unable to do so. Tiny raises. Pay is horrid. No bonuses, no holiday pay. I wish I never worked here to be honest.
Pros
most co-workers are nice
Cons
everything else
Do not work here
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2013
I know the ins and outs of this place. Management is terrible. There are no people of color in executive management. They lie. They value their numbers and performance rankings more than they care about the youth they serve. They eliminate positions of people who stand up for themselves and a week later replace them with a person/title under a different name. Posted positions are not really available. They are discriminatory on all levels especially race. They devalue employees constantly. I quit because I took a stand and they hated it!
Pros
better pay than most agencies but trust me you will forget about the money
Cons
discriminatory
non-profit organization with a track record of excellence
Executive Vice President of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 29, 2012
My responsibilities covered all areas of human resources i.e. recruitment, pre-employment testing, benefits, legal compliance, employee relations, training, investigations, 360 evaluations, competency development, succession planning, and HR metrics.

My co-workers and clients were the most enjoyable part of this job and being able to see results and growth in both.

The most difficult part of this job was probably the termination process both layoffs and performance issues.
benefits
Active residential group home homing teens.
Residential Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2013
A typical day consist of managing the milieu assisting clients (8) with independent living skills to increase their independent.I have learned to work with different types of behaviors and personalities.The co-workers work as a team and are very supportive.The job is challenging overall,with the hardest part is dealing with aggression at times.The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to change lives and work with the youth.
Pros
staff are subject to activites transporting the clients, there is some down time which allows you to complete mediacid bills.
Cons
it's a consistent job, you're always watching, moving around, and dealing with clients with angry issues.the great part is givning clients the support they need.
only do it if you are desperate
ET (Former Employee) –  chicago, ilAugust 26, 2012
this place needs to re-due their whole program starting from the top. the only people who actually care about the kids are the expressive therapies and social workers. i only made it the short time i was there because of my co-workers, supervisor was horrible.
Interesting
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2014
I've learned to operate systems that I never knew about or worked with before. No confidentiality with management whatsoever, lack of communication, unorganized and procrastinator everything is last minute.
Pros
helping the children
Cons
management
Productive, learning and moving forward
Residential Counselor Associate/Overnight Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2012
Is coming to work and get cuss out. Working with my coworkers and trying to come up with a better interaction with clients.
Pros
you can go out and enjoy special events
Cons
having fun sometimes
A long history of advocating for children.
Child Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisAugust 3, 2014
A good place to work with many opportunities for professional growth.
Pros
children's welfare is their first concern.
Cons
they need to invest in their employees and technology.
Excellent work environment.
Residential Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2013
Excellent work environment. The children were great to be around but when it comes to the management and trying to have the children service their consequences that was another story.
Not Great
RTS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2015
LHYS is a poorly run company and the Administration is over-working all the daily workers. This company will be closed within 5 years because of hour poorly it is being run.
Most Coworkers are cool
Residential Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2014
Overworked and underpaid... No advancement. Over worked and underpaid. overworked and underpaid. overworked and underpaid. A reflection of how society treats social services.
New Management Needed
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2012
Hectic most days due to managing staff undermining staff authority and lack of feeling like management was behind you in general.
Pros
stable job security
Cons
lack of good management
Working for lawrece hall
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2015
I love working for lawrence hall, people,work environment was good, I enjoyed the clients, co workers were cool aswell.
Very rewarding company.
Crisis Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago IlDecember 29, 2011
This is a company for individuals who are passionate about working with troubled youth. One must be empathetic and able to create boundaries.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
far northside

2.7