Lawrence Hall Youth Services Employee Review

View all Lawrence Hall Youth Services reviews

This is the jungle..not for the white American.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Up NorthOctober 4, 2013
I was a supervisor in the boy's unit. I had no suppport from the manager and the youth were running the department. At the time the organization was experiencing some growth and turnover was high as the youth were not accommodating to the new structure (policies and procedures ). However it was the worst job of my career. I was constantly threatened and violated by the youth up close. They were out of control and senior staff could not manage them. From my perspective, everyday was like working in a jungle. The hair on my neck would raise as I entered the unit and one of my white male collegues was severly beaten by the youth.

There isn't much to protect you and the upper staff is white. However this organization serves primarily black male teens and these teens give the whilte males a hard time. They bully and treat that staff aweful. They also disrespect the white female. They were kind enough to respect me sometime. It was always an up hill battle. Not a place I would recommend to anyone and I am a black middle class female.
Pros
They provide services, protection and hope for gay boys
Cons
Perhaps 5% of the teen boysthat enter the program succeed

Other Lawrence Hall Youth Services Employee Reviews

Changes
Clinical Therapist Extern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2018
LHYS was a great internship site. I had an amazing supervisor/mentor who taught me the fundamentals of being a therapist/clinician and working with youth. It was certainly challenging but worth every moment. When I left LHYS went through a lot changes due to state budget cuts and funding shortage, so I am not sure what it is like anymore.
Volunteer
Special Education Volunteer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2017
I was just a volunteer, so I cannot speak for the typical day, management or workplace culture for this company. I tutored a student after school hours.