Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employer Reviews

A very good place to work with a culture of hard workers.
Internship (Current Employee), Livermore, CAJuly 28, 2014
Pros: cookouts, helpful events, workout ficilities
My most enjoyable part about Lawrence livermore was the culture and how everyone is friendly.
Productive environment full of ambitious individuals working for the greater good.
Intern (Former Employee), Livermore, CaliforniaMarch 7, 2014
Pros: everything, no complaints.
Cons: as a government lab, the location was slightly distant from major cities such as san francisco, sacremento, etc.
Working at Livermore was very enjoyable; the work was extensive as one would work on a collection of long or short-term projects, and the projects, while relating to each other at times, were very diverse which assisted me in increasing my acumen across many different fields and in my area of concentration there, Computer Science. I would definitely – more... like to return there; the Lab was similar to a college campus; people worked at their own pace and even though that was the case, the work was so exciting that everyone worked swiftly and efficiently, while still having time to take a break and go for a bike ride or sit by the lake, etc. – less
A fantastic job for a world renownd project
Geodesist Johnson Control (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: it took being a geodesist to a world competitive level.
Cons: i had to leave far too early
This took my knowledge of Geodesy to a whole new level. I still performed the same skills as I did at NDOT, but on a huge scale. I am so proud of being part of the National Ignition Facility project that is making world news.
Thermal Modeling
Staff Researcher (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 13, 2014
Good place to work. Very demanding and often times extra stress were put onto us to meet deadlines, however, that is the quality of industry life. Loved the job culture and the enthusiasm lots of co-workers put into their research.
Dynamic engineering environment at a world-class research institution
MECHANICAL ENGINEER - Target Diagnostics Group (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: compensation, work/life balance
Cons: management, job culture
Working at LLNL was a completely different culture than anything I had experienced previously. I learned to adapt quickly to the requirements of the job and how to immediately contribute to my specific group to have success, The engineering work was rigorous and very thorough from design all the way through documentation and approvals. As a detail-oriented – more... thinker, I appreciated this approach but found it cumbersome at times.

Compensation was great and benefits were decent (I actually worked for a contractor to the lab, though all my fellow employees and supervisors were LLNL employees. Government pay is really good there).

Managment and job culture left a lot to be desired, really. Government projects can be slow and therefore frustrating at the lack of progress over long periods of time (funding issues, etc.). Decision making from immediate management would lean in one direction one day and a totally different direction the next based on upper management's immediate needs funding constraints. The scope of my group's work was cut significantly over my time there, indicative of growing budget problems for the larger project as a whole. This greatly lowered group morale from repeated unexpected layoffs.

I had very little (read: none) feedback from management as to my own professional development and this was also very disappointing as a early-career engineer looking for direction from older engineering mentors. – less
Tons of very smart people in a laid-back environment
Industrial Partnerships Office Intern (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJanuary 7, 2014
I was an intern here and I was able to work with many Ph.d scientists at the top of their field. I was able to learn a lot about many aspects of the work that was being done at the lab.
Great Science and work environment, but lots of bureaucracy
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Livermore, CADecember 6, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, challenging
Cons: bureaucracy
I enjoy working at the Lab in many ways (flexible hours, challenging design tasks, academic environment), but the ratio of management to those of us at the end of the line that actually do work is too far out of whack. I think that is partly a result of the age of the waiting-for-pension folks that occupy most positions, though I think that will change – more... soon since there is an enormous gap in age from those about to retire to the next generation of employees. – less
LLNL, since its reorganization as an LLC (partnered w/ Bechtel) is no longer the ideal place to work it once was under the University of California.
Engineer (Current Employee), Livermore, CAOctober 28, 2013
Pros: very relaxed work environment
Cons: lousy benefits and pay well below industry levels for comparable work.
LLNL offers its technical employees the possibility for a long and varied career.
Excellent company to learn new technology and advance in your career.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Livermore, CAOctober 20, 2013
Pros: salary and having peers help when you need it.
Cons: lay offs
Excellent place to develop communication and technical skills. Able to challenge yourself and advance to other positions. The hardest part of the job was coordinating services with other departments. I enjoyed expanding my knowledge and learning new things.
Amazing place to work and grow.
Administrative Specialist IV 405.4 (Former Employee), Livermore CAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: classes at no cost and excellent benefits.
I spent 21 years with the best and the brightest minds and it was amazing! I was supported and worked hard to have the eight promotions during my time there.
Lawrence Livermore
Sr Accounting Specialist (Current Employee), Livermore, CASeptember 28, 2013
LLNL is a fast pased quick moving place of employment
Most employees are cross trained with desk guides to use, Management styles are different
exciting place to work, despite beauracracy
Post-Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Livermore, CaAugust 13, 2013
Pros: diverse projects available
Cons: advancement dependent on federal budget
LLNL is a great place to work. A diverse array of projects, both for basic science and national security are available. lower management is friendly, casual and involved in the projects. The atmosphere is very collaborative. The downside is the imposition of federal bureaucracy, and the budget being subject to the whims of congress.
High-quality teams with ethics and morals who place safety first
Instructional Designer/Developer (Current Employee), Bay Area, CalforniaJuly 16, 2013
Pros: sharp, dedicated people
Cons: doe will be cutting costs and maybe national labs will go next
The Lab is a great place to work. You won't find better people striving for higher goals unless you work at the Vatican or maybe a children's hospital.

The facilities are awful. If you are looking for plush, keep moving. We work in badly air-conditoned/heated trailers scattered all around some cow field planted with landmines. We ride awful bicycles – more... you couldn't give away from meeting to meeting with helmets that make you look like you got off the short bus.

Because the people are sharp the jokes/irony are funny. It's worth the jokes...all we do is laugh. As a matter of fact, our friends and family even laugh about the jokes and repartee later on upon retelling.

Budgets are cut, no salary increases, no travel, no professional journals, no supplies (byop...pen). For meetings, lolol...instructors bake their own goods and bring them. Students buy coffee from the machine or community coffee pot. I'm serious...and it is bad coffee.

But we love it here! I'm leaving because the budget cuts are cutting our jobs. I still have one but for how long? – less
Security and Computer Modeling for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Computer Programmer / Special Response Team (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJuly 2, 2013
Pros: multi cultural community, great training and upward mobility
Cons: security lapses and a less than stable future with contract negotiations.
Working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory was one of the best civilian entities that I had the opportunity to work with.

I started in the security sector at the laboratory. Afterwards I was afforded the opportunity to conduct research in the computer simulations sector of the laboratory.
Was ok
to be appreciated
the pay
Review of my Career at Lawrence Livermore Nationla Laboratroy
Sr. Network Associate (Current Employee), Livermore, CAJune 6, 2013
Pros: continuously given the opportunity to learn.
My career at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has been exciting, technically challenging in the sense continuously giving me the opportunity learn new technologies from day one. The Laboratory has provided me with the opportunity to grow my career in my different types of technologies. I’ve had the opportunity to manage a budget to implement – more... the IPTV infrastructure, manage my own responsibilities and prioritize my own schedule. Always had the ability to contact outside the department personnel when needed to implement projects to meet deadlines.
My coworkers have absolutely been a tremendous help and it’s been an honor working with them all during my career at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. They are all well respected in their areas of expertise and have always made themselves available to help at a moment’s notice. I appreciate them all.
Working at LLNL has allowed me to see some exciting and interesting research work that occurs at the national lab. I have traveled to some awesome locations for job assignments that I will always remember. It has been a privilege to have had the opportunity to work for the prestigious Research and Development Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. – less
only for the braindead
Materials Engineer (Former Employee), Livermore, CAMay 13, 2013
only for people who are looking to retire. there is not a lot to do that's productive there.
Overall good
Analyst (Current Employee), Livermore, CAMay 8, 2013
Pros: some freedom in work
Cons: advancement opportunities, vast instabilities
It can be very slow to get anything done. Extremely difficult to make an impact as young engineer / scientist.
AMAZING
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 19, 2013
its a cool place to work. you work independently and have a ton of fun.
Very rewarding employer. Very challenging.
Central Alarm Station (CAS) Dispatcher (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJanuary 28, 2013
LLNL is a great place to work. Good benefits, good environment, and great co-workers. It was a challenging job but worth the effort. The atmosphere is the most enjoyable part of working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

About Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy. The – Read more