Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employer Reviews

Productive workplace
Analyst (Former Employee), Livermore, CAMarch 7, 2015
A good place to develop your skills, but old thinking and slow career progression. Would recommend if you are close to retirement.
Cutting edge science
Sol gel Chemist (Current Employee), livermoreFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: family life balance
Cons: not alot of career development. budget issues
Not a lot of room for advancement.Still excellent place to work.Would like to see more opportunity for career employees.
Pipe Shop co-workers were the best group of guys to work with
Plumber/Pipe Fitter (Former Employee), Livermore, CADecember 29, 2014
Pros: friends-coworkers
Cons: management
Safety and employee training was a great part of this company. My Supervisor and co-workers were all close friends. I invested many years of my life there and was completely dedicated during my employment at the Laboratory. When my flex term appointment came due and was time to roll me over into a Career Indefinite employee, they chose not to roll me over. I performance reviews were always the best that anyone could receive. I never had a safety violation of any kind in fact I was on the Executive Safety Committee
for several years. My release was a surprise to myself and every Programmatic Manager at the Laboratory. I was not given any reason why I was released from my management. I'm lead to believe a couple different reasons to be the reason. First is due to a long drawn out contract renewal battle between the Skilled Trades Bargaining Unit and the Laboratory. The second explanation was given to me by an employee in the security directorate. She stated that the date of my employment appointment expiring was a complete surprise to my Managers of MUSD. A part of Facility and Infrastructure. She stated that it takes several weeks to complete necessary paperwork to roll an employee into a career indefinite position. I was released on October 16, 2014 and was told by my department Managers at 2:00pm before I left the site that they were rushing through a temporary position for me so that I wouldn't have any time off without pay. So I left thinking that everything was going to be alright and it wasn't anything to worry about. Two weeks later I was told that upper management within – more... Facilities and Infrastructure had blocked my temporary position leaving out of a job with absolutely no explanation to this date.
I will say that I'm grateful for the experience and the knowledge I left with, along with a training and certification profile that very few if any in the skilled trades could possess.
I'm still in shock as I write this review that I don't have a job at LLNL. I have NEVER been released from an employer before and I take great pride in all my daily tasks.
This is my personal horrible experience at the Laboratory. Up until then I had only high remarks of LLNL but they have left me unemployed with a wife and three children and NO explanation or warning of my release. – less
Very professioanl environment
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Livermore, CADecember 7, 2014
Working here you know that you are among very intelligent individuals making a difference. Appreciate the fact that we have daily meetings, so that everyone knows what they are suppose to do in order to be as efficient as possible.
Sponsor was great.
Systems Programmer and Hardware Engineer (Former Employee), Santa Cruz, CASeptember 25, 2014
Completed a senior design project for LLNL. As the the systems programmer I developed the skills necessary for interfacing a two systems through a communication channel that I established. Team was great and the sponsor at LLNL was great.
great place to work in all aspect of the word
Senior scientist (Former Employee), Livermore, CASeptember 20, 2014
Pros: university type of atmosphere
Cons: not enough hours in the day to finish my daily goals to my satisfaction
Great opportunity to learn all aspects of research and analytical chemistry. Very challenging and rewarding position for all the years of my employment there.
Lots of expertise, job project security depends on work
Post-Doctoral Research Staff Member (Current Employee), Livermore, CAAugust 29, 2014
Pros: expertise (brain power)
The work/life balance varies across the Lab. The engineering post-doc positions are well paid, with 25% time dedicated to personal research.
The amount of expertise on-site is a benefit.
Some areas of research have harder time getting funds than others.
Great workplace
Lead Experimental Researcher (Former Employee), Livermore, CAAugust 7, 2014
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is a very exciting place to work!
A very good place to work with a culture of hard workers.
Internship (Current Employee), Livermore, CAJuly 28, 2014
Pros: cookouts, helpful events, workout ficilities
My most enjoyable part about Lawrence livermore was the culture and how everyone is friendly.
Productive environment full of ambitious individuals working for the greater good.
Intern (Former Employee), Livermore, CaliforniaMarch 7, 2014
Pros: everything, no complaints.
Cons: as a government lab, the location was slightly distant from major cities such as san francisco, sacremento, etc.
Working at Livermore was very enjoyable; the work was extensive as one would work on a collection of long or short-term projects, and the projects, while relating to each other at times, were very diverse which assisted me in increasing my acumen across many different fields and in my area of concentration there, Computer Science. I would definitely like to return there; the Lab was similar to a college campus; people worked at their own pace and even though that was the case, the work was so exciting that everyone worked swiftly and efficiently, while still having time to take a break and go for a bike ride or sit by the lake, etc.
A fantastic job for a world renownd project
Geodesist Johnson Control (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: it took being a geodesist to a world competitive level.
Cons: i had to leave far too early
This took my knowledge of Geodesy to a whole new level. I still performed the same skills as I did at NDOT, but on a huge scale. I am so proud of being part of the National Ignition Facility project that is making world news.
Thermal Modeling
Staff Researcher (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 13, 2014
Good place to work. Very demanding and often times extra stress were put onto us to meet deadlines, however, that is the quality of industry life. Loved the job culture and the enthusiasm lots of co-workers put into their research.
Dynamic engineering environment at a world-class research institution
MECHANICAL ENGINEER - Target Diagnostics Group (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: compensation, work/life balance
Cons: management, job culture
Working at LLNL was a completely different culture than anything I had experienced previously. I learned to adapt quickly to the requirements of the job and how to immediately contribute to my specific group to have success, The engineering work was rigorous and very thorough from design all the way through documentation and approvals. As a detail-oriented thinker, I appreciated this approach but found it cumbersome at times.

Compensation was great and benefits were decent (I actually worked for a contractor to the lab, though all my fellow employees and supervisors were LLNL employees. Government pay is really good there).

Managment and job culture left a lot to be desired, really. Government projects can be slow and therefore frustrating at the lack of progress over long periods of time (funding issues, etc.). Decision making from immediate management would lean in one direction one day and a totally different direction the next based on upper management's immediate needs funding constraints. The scope of my group's work was cut significantly over my time there, indicative of growing budget problems for the larger project as a whole. This greatly lowered group morale from repeated unexpected layoffs.

I had very little (read: none) feedback from management as to my own professional development and this was also very disappointing as a early-career engineer looking for direction from older engineering mentors.
Tons of very smart people in a laid-back environment
Industrial Partnerships Office Intern (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJanuary 7, 2014
I was an intern here and I was able to work with many Ph.d scientists at the top of their field. I was able to learn a lot about many aspects of the work that was being done at the lab.
Great Science and work environment, but lots of bureaucracy
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Livermore, CADecember 6, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, challenging
Cons: bureaucracy
I enjoy working at the Lab in many ways (flexible hours, challenging design tasks, academic environment), but the ratio of management to those of us at the end of the line that actually do work is too far out of whack. I think that is partly a result of the age of the waiting-for-pension folks that occupy most positions, though I think that will change soon since there is an enormous gap in age from those about to retire to the next generation of employees.
LLNL, since its reorganization as an LLC (partnered w/ Bechtel) is no longer the ideal place to work it once was under the University of California.
Engineer (Current Employee), Livermore, CAOctober 28, 2013
Pros: very relaxed work environment
Cons: lousy benefits and pay well below industry levels for comparable work.
LLNL offers its technical employees the possibility for a long and varied career.
Excellent company to learn new technology and advance in your career.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Livermore, CAOctober 20, 2013
Pros: salary and having peers help when you need it.
Cons: lay offs
Excellent place to develop communication and technical skills. Able to challenge yourself and advance to other positions. The hardest part of the job was coordinating services with other departments. I enjoyed expanding my knowledge and learning new things.
Amazing place to work and grow.
Administrative Specialist IV 405.4 (Former Employee), Livermore CAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: classes at no cost and excellent benefits.
I spent 21 years with the best and the brightest minds and it was amazing! I was supported and worked hard to have the eight promotions during my time there.
Lawrence Livermore
Sr Accounting Specialist (Current Employee), Livermore, CASeptember 28, 2013
LLNL is a fast pased quick moving place of employment
Most employees are cross trained with desk guides to use, Management styles are different
exciting place to work, despite beauracracy
Post-Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Livermore, CaAugust 13, 2013
Pros: diverse projects available
Cons: advancement dependent on federal budget
LLNL is a great place to work. A diverse array of projects, both for basic science and national security are available. lower management is friendly, casual and involved in the projects. The atmosphere is very collaborative. The downside is the imposition of federal bureaucracy, and the budget being subject to the whims of congress.

1 2 3

About Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

It takes a lot of manpower to¬†build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy. The – Read more