Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews

INTERN (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 19, 2017
The work is meaningful, people are friendly, and compensation is great. Overall, I would recommend this place for everyone. There are many ways to branch out and learn new things.
Scientific Technician (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 19, 2017
Excellent working place to work with lots of challenging opportunities.

Work hours Monday to Friday and weekends off and federal holidays.

Great people to work with very professional,
One of the best places to work in California
Manager of Tech Transfer (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 16, 2017
The management of LLNL has changed now to private sector
companies along with the Un of Calif System. From what everyone tells me that is fine and things are moving along as before. Which is Great !!!!!
The 8300 + people there were great on all levels.
Lots of time working but also leading other lives, like music, plays and even acting.
Incredible great experience.
Pros
Relaxed atmoshere with lots of meetings and science going on
Cons
Had a Q clearance so hard to hold meetings there that involved outsiders
Awesome place to work, horrible place to live
Electronics Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 12, 2017
If it were not for CA taxes and politics, I would have never left LLNL. Gov Moonbeam is a real piece of work. The employees at LLNL are the best I've ever worked with. Top management down to janitors, everyone was absolutely awesome, and I miss them all.
Pros
Everything except location
Cons
Location (personal preference)
Cutting edge research
Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 5, 2017
LLNL is full of passionate and highly educated individuals working on a wide variety of very advanced and interesting projects. Very good work life balance is possible.
a nice place to work
Biomedical Staff Scientist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CA 94551October 3, 2017
This was a nice place to work, but I am not sure about it now. I worked there several years ago. My understanding is that the biological sciences department is greatly diminished from when I was there. This is a government facility and requires clearances for many of the jobs.
Pros
good benefits
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 11, 2017
Typical work day was look at my desk for notes, message, action items to do for the day, review my email and my manger's email for action items for the day, answer and direct phone calls, manage calendars for managers, schedule and arrange travel and expense reports, filing, faxing, schedule meeting, visits, hospitality, and provide the appropriate paperwork to process this events, back up other admins. The most enjoyable part of the job - is the work and people I support. I enjoyed the job very much!
Pros
flexibility, paid well, health benefits
Best job ever
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 8, 2017
I loved working at the Lab. I learned new skills and I felt part of a team that was doing work that was making this country better. The workplace culture promoted learning and was very supportive. The management team listened and made our career ladder a priority.
It is a productive fun workplace. The learning experience was excellent.
Internship in Biophotonics (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 24, 2017
It is a productive fun workplace. The learning experience was excellent. I would have loved to take a permanent role on at the Laboratory, however I was unable to relocate. I would highly recommend working at Lawrence Livermore Laboratory.
Pros
Cutting edge work.
Government position
Line Receipt Inspector (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 28, 2017
Excellent place for movement. Great opportunities for change & growth. Stable & Secure for many years, but there is movement to clean up & dispose of old technology with an eye toward shut down.
Pros
Stable & Secure
Cons
Advancement
Stability
Administrative Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 26, 2017
Variety provided and challenging atmosphere that enabled me to grow. Excellent management and recognition of skills, knowledge and abilities and rewarded as such.
Bike riding and beautiful scenery; an amazing place to intern!
Computational Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 24, 2017
Since I was an intern, I only spent 3 months here during the summer, which were some of the most interesting in my life. A typical day started with me arriving and riding one of the bikes they have lying around for us to my building of work. My position had me working at my desk and computer for a few hours, occasionally chatting with other workmates or playing ping pong during breaks. I always had access to assistance from my mentors when necessary. Though the days sometimes dragged on and the topic of work was challenging to understand at times, I enjoyed breaking through that barrier of understanding each new day. I greatly enjoyed the scenery and being able to immerse myself in it fully every time I went out to lunch or travel anywhere, thanks to having bikes to ride around right through it all. It simply was a pleasant place to be.
Pros
Purposeful work, bike-riding, great scenery, fun activities
Cons
Difficult work (could be a pro too), long days
Research and Developement is the main product
Engineering Associate (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 24, 2017
Advanced Laser Systems, Fusion Energy Research, Fiber Optic
Manufacturing, Detector Development. Matrix organization makes
movement from one discipline to the next easy.
Not a pleasant place to work
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJune 28, 2017
Many people hate their jobs, but stay because they are grandfathered in the pension plan. Those people make going to work everyday miserable for the rest. Management is opposed to any kind of change. On a positive note, they have good benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Management, old workplace facilities, people who just don't care
Great Organization but not all parts are Equal
Administrative Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJune 20, 2017
Certain directorates are not as well cultured as others. Management is very closed-door and not open to opinions or change in some parts such as Operations & Business...avoid working for that directorate.
Pros
Work-Life Balance, Salary, Benefits, Nice Working Conditions
Cons
Management, Difficult Processes & Procedures
Challenging place to work
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 22, 2017
LLNL is still a top government research lab. However, LLNL is now run by a private for profit company, and job security, funding, training are not what it used to be, and there is no more pension. Work is challenging and interesting, however many people have to constantly look for new jobs, and taking on more than one project at a time. Everyone is on a time card, where you have to get enough project and piece together a 40+ hour work week. As projects ramp down, or simply a number of project can be short term... Some people have to constantly look for new projects. Base salary is good, but no stock or bonus or other ways to make more money. Medical benefits are quite expensive and coverage is not that good. There's also no coffee. It's a intellectually challenging place to work and there are lots of smart people to work with
Pros
Smart people, challenging work, work life balance
Cons
Have to continually find new assignments. Bureaucracy is cause things to move very slow.
Postdoc on Assignment
Postdoctoral Research Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMay 19, 2017
LLNL was a great place to work for, even though I lived across the country. Pays great for a postdoc and I am very grateful to have worked there. I wish I had more opportunity to visit LLNL on site.
Jbei
Strain archivist/ laboratory operations (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAMay 10, 2017
The training for the position was practically non existent. Both colleague and work lead were not present for questions or guidance. Both colleague and work lead were socially incompetent and difficult to approach. The tasks of the job itself were fine and the general culture was stiff and somewhat friendly. The work lead for the position was somewhat of a threatening presence.
Very interesting research work.
Mechanical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 4, 2017
Very interesting research work. Able and encouraged to learn and improve work skills and knowledge. Fun travel assignments and interesting guest speakers.
Pros
Interesting guest speakers.
Cons
None.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAApril 26, 2017
The compensation was great and the campus beautiful. As with any large institution, the quality of the culture and management depend heavily on what group you work with.