Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Excellent opportunities for students
Cyber Defender (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CADecember 6, 2016
The CyberDefender and DataHero computation student programs support students from diverse backgrounds and provide an excellent opportunity for practical exercise, cutting edge applied research, and teamwork.
Pros
Cutting edge mentors, good compensation.
Employment Opportunities
Department Administrator (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 23, 2016
I started working with my current employer 18 years ago; I was hired as a Supplemental Laborer and within three years was converted to a Career Indefinite Employee. Has been given the opportunity to grow within the Administrative field, and I am currently a Department Administrator supporting upper management and various levels of managers.
Pros
Career Growth/Opportunities
Cons
Commute is taking over 1 hour drive on a good day
OK as long as your group managers are good
Biomedical Scientist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 10, 2016
Worked here for 10 years, great projects.
Very competitive environment, only external funding.

Your experience will depend on the managers you work for:
Some are extremely bright and professional. They were fun and a joy to work with. Others, not so much.
Target
Administrative Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJune 2, 2016
Retail store. They do not compensate you for the work that you do. the pay was awful. 0.13 raises and they worked you till they couldn't work you no more I learned a lot. the training was awesome. Too much work and did not want to pay you.
Pros
Retail store with discount
Cons
Pay was not correct
Great People & Great Place to Work, Many Hazards!
Maintenance/Construction Engineering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 13, 2017
Nice place to work, good people and decent pay. A little far to commute to and from. Many hazards to be cautious about. Everyone should work here.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Hazards
Productive and fun workplace
Cyber Defender Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 27, 2016
Great place to work, the people are lovely. So many network connections. A lot of opportunities to learn new things and to meet new people. I learned how to deal with adversity and a lot of problem-solving.
Cons
n/a
A very big R&D lab
Scientist I, II (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 25, 2015
A great place to work if you happen to be part of the group with an excellent source of funding especially in the biotech area. Back in the day, it was part of the UC system but now it has been converted into a private company and as such the job security is just as good as any other place. Lots of smart people work there though as it was part of Dept of Energy for a long time and as such had access to millions of dollars in funding.
Pros
An excellent to work at if you are into R&D
Cons
Pay may be not as competitive as most other private companies
Great Benefits/No opportunities to telecommute
Administrative Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAMay 19, 2014
There are opportunities onsite to get away from the desk; but there are limited opportunities for employees to work from home or telecommute. Also, there are no mentoring programs to help you advance your career. Poor leadership makes it difficult to excel and if you are a college graduate coming from any other area other than science or technology it will be very difficult to get it and move up.
Pros
Benefits, competitive Salary
Cons
no telecommuting, no mentoring
Great Place to Work
Cost Price Analyst (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 13, 2015
LLNS is a wonderful place to work. The people are very respectful of one another, it doesn't matter what level you are. The work environment is very nice, they make sure you have what you need to accomplish your job. It's a beautiful campus and reminds you of a college the way people move between the buildings on bikes. The work I did was a challenge and I loved every day. I now say it was a mistake to take a position with another company that I thought would be good for my career. I could easily see myself finishing my career at LLNS. Good benefits and good pay.
Pros
Campus Like Setting
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 14, 2016
People there are driven to succeed and principle investigators are kind. Funding is very limited, so take that into consideration.
Used to be better
Borrows Administrator & Division Secretary (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 22, 2012
I was a contractor. Almost hired. Hiring freeze happened just as my hire package reached top. One of the best employers in the area. I worked for a really great group of people. We worked hard and had fun, enjoyed working together. A real TEAM. So wonderful to work in a world class scientific community. I miss this job and the people!
The management of the lab changed hands after the 50 year contract. Not the same old lab. But, I would still love to work there.
The hardest part is the fact that it's government...so many regulations.
Pros
best pay, benefits, and people. world class science. international.
Cons
government regulations, red tape. workforce reduction. reduced benefits.
Great medical benfits, pay and job security.
Administrative Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 21, 2012
Account management on many aspects including spreadsheets, heavy customer and phone contact, scheduling, project followup, computer usage for e-mails, meetings, and communication, domestic and foreign travel arrangements, interviewing, and resume screenings. I gained quite a lot of experience and background on interviewing techniques and how to handle time management and multi-task effectively. Managers and co-workers were very professional as was the company culture and employer offered effective training on areas of computer skills and personal aspects to enhance employee development. Most challenging was when all areas of management within a department changed office and brought in their staff leaving a feeling of where the rest of us fit within the department. Most enjoyable was the education and experience gained while employee at the Laboratory.
Pros
excellent pay, medical benfits and stability.
Cons
na
Dynamic engineering environment at a world-class research institution
MECHANICAL ENGINEER - Target Diagnostics Group (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 7, 2014
Working at LLNL was a completely different culture than anything I had experienced previously. I learned to adapt quickly to the requirements of the job and how to immediately contribute to my specific group to have success, The engineering work was rigorous and very thorough from design all the way through documentation and approvals. As a detail-oriented thinker, I appreciated this approach but found it cumbersome at times.

Compensation was great and benefits were decent (I actually worked for a contractor to the lab, though all my fellow employees and supervisors were LLNL employees. Government pay is really good there).

Managment and job culture left a lot to be desired, really. Government projects can be slow and therefore frustrating at the lack of progress over long periods of time (funding issues, etc.). Decision making from immediate management would lean in one direction one day and a totally different direction the next based on upper management's immediate needs funding constraints. The scope of my group's work was cut significantly over my time there, indicative of growing budget problems for the larger project as a whole. This greatly lowered group morale from repeated unexpected layoffs.

I had very little (read: none) feedback from management as to my own professional development and this was also very disappointing as a early-career engineer looking for direction from older engineering mentors.
Pros
Compensation, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Management, Job Culture
exciting place to work, despite beauracracy
Post-Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CaAugust 13, 2013
LLNL is a great place to work. A diverse array of projects, both for basic science and national security are available. lower management is friendly, casual and involved in the projects. The atmosphere is very collaborative. The downside is the imposition of federal bureaucracy, and the budget being subject to the whims of congress.
Pros
Diverse projects available
Cons
advancement dependent on federal budget
Exciting to work with such brilliant scientists!
Sr. Administrator/Executive Admin (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CA 94550March 9, 2015
An incredible place to work, unfortunately, in 2007, LLNL was taken over by Bechtel and was forced to lay off 400+ employees, and I was one of the managers laid off due to Bechtel bringing in their own managers.

The most difficult part of the job was leaving! There was always more to do, more to learn. The science, technology, security, etc., that was going on with the scientists' that I supported was interesting and exciting, making working there a very proud place to work.
Pros
The excitement of working where R&D are at the top in the world!
Cons
I worked LONG hours as a manager, looking back now, my work-life`balance was not good.
LLNL, since its reorganization as an LLC (partnered w/ Bechtel) is no longer the ideal place to work it once was under the University of California.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 28, 2013
LLNL offers its technical employees the possibility for a long and varied career.
Pros
Very relaxed work environment
Cons
Lousy benefits and pay well below industry levels for comparable work.
Working with the nations greatest minds
Electronics Engineering Technician V (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 9, 2015
I loved this job. The couture and environment is comfortable and inspires creativity. If you like science research and development, this is your place.
Pros
pay, management, barbecues, friendly people.
Cons
Budget cut, project ending, and lay off.
Was a great place to work
Basic police officer duties (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 27, 2013
Simply a downsizing company that is was a great place to work.
Pros
benefits were competitive with other business
Cons
downsizing in great numbers
Amazing place to work and grow.
Administrative Specialist IV 405.4 (Former Employee) –  Livermore CAOctober 18, 2013
I spent 21 years with the best and the brightest minds and it was amazing! I was supported and worked hard to have the eight promotions during my time there.
Pros
Classes at no cost and excellent benefits.
Cons
Assist Manager of Hazardous Waste (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 7, 2015
Day to day operations can change but the culture is different. Your treated different if you are a contractor. It is a great place to learn and get information.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews by Location