Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews in United States

Employment Opportunities
Department Administrator (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 23, 2016
I started working with my current employer 18 years ago; I was hired as a Supplemental Laborer and within three years was converted to a Career Indefinite Employee. Has been given the opportunity to grow within the Administrative field, and I am currently a Department Administrator supporting upper management and various levels of managers.
Pros
Career Growth/Opportunities
Cons
Commute is taking over 1 hour drive on a good day
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 26, 2016
It was an internship, so it wasn't really a job. I really didn't like working their because I felt like I wasn't learning anything, I was just doing the work that my bosses were too lazy to do.
Working with the nations greatest minds
Electronics Engineering Technician V (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 9, 2015
I loved this job. The couture and environment is comfortable and inspires creativity. If you like science research and development, this is your place.
Pros
pay, management, barbecues, friendly people.
Cons
Budget cut, project ending, and lay off.
Awesome place to work
Office Manager / Administrator (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 30, 2015
I would suggest LLNL to anyone looking for a place that does amazing work, fun workplace environment, lots of meetings (boo!), and wants to make some lifetime networking connections.
Pros
Balanced lifestyle
Cons
at the mercy of government p&p's
Plenty of room to grow
Technical recruiting and sourcing (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 24, 2015
There is plenty of room to grow if you are willing to work for it. Hardest part of the job is driving the required 20 mph while on campus.
Pros
Beautiful Scenery
Cons
Very hot during the summer
Outstanding place to work
Student Chemical Engineering Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 31, 2015
Great culture, great people, great research. I highly recommend it. Everyone was always willing to help. I don't think I had one bad day at work.
Llnl
Plumber/Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 17, 2015
Work was safe and controlled appropriately. The best communication between management and co-workers I have ever experienced.
Pros
co-workers
Great Place to Work
Cost Price Analyst (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 13, 2015
LLNS is a wonderful place to work. The people are very respectful of one another, it doesn't matter what level you are. The work environment is very nice, they make sure you have what you need to accomplish your job. It's a beautiful campus and reminds you of a college the way people move between the buildings on bikes. The work I did was a challenge and I loved every day. I now say it was a mistake to take a position with another company that I thought would be good for my career. I could easily see myself finishing my career at LLNS. Good benefits and good pay.
Pros
Campus Like Setting
Cons
Typical Government based company. Lots of politcs at all levels.
Sr. Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CaliforniaJune 23, 2015
This is an ex-University of California run campus based on their idea of how a corporation operates. I always had two supervisors. I also was moved around based on their need and my skill set. My annual evaluation was always against other Mechanical Techs with varied background and job skill sets.
Exciting to work with such brilliant scientists!
Sr. Administrator/Executive Admin (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CA 94550March 9, 2015
An incredible place to work, unfortunately, in 2007, LLNL was taken over by Bechtel and was forced to lay off 400+ employees, and I was one of the managers laid off due to Bechtel bringing in their own managers.

The most difficult part of the job was leaving! There was always more to do, more to learn. The science, technology, security, etc., that was going on with the scientists' that I supported was interesting and exciting, making working there a very proud place to work.
Pros
the excitement of working where r&d are at the top in the world!
Cons
i worked long hours as a manager, looking back now, my work-life`balance was not good.
Productive workplace
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 7, 2015
A good place to develop your skills, but old thinking and slow career progression. Would recommend if you are close to retirement.
Cutting edge science
Sol gel Chemist (Current Employee) –  livermoreFebruary 18, 2015
Not a lot of room for advancement.Still excellent place to work.Would like to see more opportunity for career employees.
Pros
family life balance
Cons
not alot of career development. budget issues
Very professioanl environment
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CADecember 7, 2014
Working here you know that you are among very intelligent individuals making a difference. Appreciate the fact that we have daily meetings, so that everyone knows what they are suppose to do in order to be as efficient as possible.
Sponsor was great.
Systems Programmer and Hardware Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 25, 2014
Completed a senior design project for LLNL. As the the systems programmer I developed the skills necessary for interfacing a two systems through a communication channel that I established. Team was great and the sponsor at LLNL was great.
great place to work in all aspect of the word
Senior scientist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 20, 2014
Great opportunity to learn all aspects of research and analytical chemistry. Very challenging and rewarding position for all the years of my employment there.
Pros
university type of atmosphere
Cons
not enough hours in the day to finish my daily goals to my satisfaction
Lots of expertise, job project security depends on work
Post-Doctoral Research Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 29, 2014
The work/life balance varies across the Lab. The engineering post-doc positions are well paid, with 25% time dedicated to personal research.
The amount of expertise on-site is a benefit.
Some areas of research have harder time getting funds than others.
Pros
expertise (brain power)
Great workplace
Lead Experimental Researcher (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 7, 2014
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is a very exciting place to work!
A very good place to work with a culture of hard workers.
Internship (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 28, 2014
My most enjoyable part about Lawrence livermore was the culture and how everyone is friendly.
Pros
cookouts, helpful events, workout ficilities
Productive environment full of ambitious individuals working for the greater good.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CaliforniaMarch 7, 2014
Working at Livermore was very enjoyable; the work was extensive as one would work on a collection of long or short-term projects, and the projects, while relating to each other at times, were very diverse which assisted me in increasing my acumen across many different fields and in my area of concentration there, Computer Science. I would definitely like to return there; the Lab was similar to a college campus; people worked at their own pace and even though that was the case, the work was so exciting that everyone worked swiftly and efficiently, while still having time to take a break and go for a bike ride or sit by the lake, etc.
Pros
everything, no complaints.
Cons
as a government lab, the location was slightly distant from major cities such as san francisco, sacremento, etc.
A fantastic job for a world renownd project
Geodesist Johnson Control (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 14, 2014
This took my knowledge of Geodesy to a whole new level. I still performed the same skills as I did at NDOT, but on a huge scale. I am so proud of being part of the National Ignition Facility project that is making world news.
Pros
it took being a geodesist to a world competitive level.
Cons
i had to leave far too early

4.3