Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews

LLNL
Plumber/Pipe Fitter (Former Employee), Livermore, CAAugust 17, 2015
Pros: co-workers
Cons: None
Work was safe and controlled appropriately. The best communication between management and co-workers I have ever experienced.
Great Place to Work
Cost Price Analyst (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Campus Like Setting
Cons: Location
LLNS is a wonderful place to work. The people are very respectful of one another, it doesn't matter what level you are. The work environment is very nice, they make sure you have what you need to accomplish your job. It's a beautiful campus and reminds you of a college the way people move between the buildings on bikes. The work I did was a challenge and I loved every day. I now say it was a mistake to take a position with another company that I thought would be good for my career. I could easily see myself finishing my career at LLNS. Good benefits and good pay.
Typical Government based company. Lots of politcs at all levels.
Sr. Mechanical Technician (Former Employee), Livermore, CaliforniaJune 23, 2015
This is an ex-University of California run campus based on their idea of how a corporation operates. I always had two supervisors. I also was moved around based on their need and my skill set. My annual evaluation was always against other Mechanical Techs with varied background and job skill sets.
Productive and fun work place with national security Mission
Sr. Research Engineer (Current Employee), Livermore, CAApril 1, 2015
LLNL is great place to work. Top talent, interesting and challenging technical problems.

Exciting to work with such brilliant scientists!
Sr. Administrator/Executive Admin (Former Employee), Livermore, CA 94550March 9, 2015
Pros: the excitement of working where r&d are at the top in the world!
Cons: i worked long hours as a manager, looking back now, my work-life`balance was not good.
An incredible place to work, unfortunately, in 2007, LLNL was taken over by Bechtel and was forced to lay off 400+ employees, and I was one of the managers laid off due to Bechtel bringing in their own managers.

The most difficult part of the job was leaving! There was always more to do, more to learn. The science, technology, security, etc., that was going on with the scientists' that I supported was interesting and exciting, making working there a very proud place to work.
Productive workplace
Analyst (Former Employee), Livermore, CAMarch 7, 2015
A good place to develop your skills, but old thinking and slow career progression. Would recommend if you are close to retirement.
Cutting edge science
Sol gel Chemist (Current Employee), livermoreFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: family life balance
Cons: not alot of career development. budget issues
Not a lot of room for advancement.Still excellent place to work.Would like to see more opportunity for career employees.
Very professioanl environment
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Livermore, CADecember 7, 2014
Working here you know that you are among very intelligent individuals making a difference. Appreciate the fact that we have daily meetings, so that everyone knows what they are suppose to do in order to be as efficient as possible.
Sponsor was great.
Systems Programmer and Hardware Engineer (Former Employee), Santa Cruz, CASeptember 25, 2014
Completed a senior design project for LLNL. As the the systems programmer I developed the skills necessary for interfacing a two systems through a communication channel that I established. Team was great and the sponsor at LLNL was great.
great place to work in all aspect of the word
Senior scientist (Former Employee), Livermore, CASeptember 20, 2014
Pros: university type of atmosphere
Cons: not enough hours in the day to finish my daily goals to my satisfaction
Great opportunity to learn all aspects of research and analytical chemistry. Very challenging and rewarding position for all the years of my employment there.
Lots of expertise, job project security depends on work
Post-Doctoral Research Staff Member (Current Employee), Livermore, CAAugust 29, 2014
Pros: expertise (brain power)
The work/life balance varies across the Lab. The engineering post-doc positions are well paid, with 25% time dedicated to personal research.
The amount of expertise on-site is a benefit.
Some areas of research have harder time getting funds than others.
Great workplace
Lead Experimental Researcher (Former Employee), Livermore, CAAugust 7, 2014
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is a very exciting place to work!
A very good place to work with a culture of hard workers.
Internship (Current Employee), Livermore, CAJuly 28, 2014
Pros: cookouts, helpful events, workout ficilities
My most enjoyable part about Lawrence livermore was the culture and how everyone is friendly.
Productive environment full of ambitious individuals working for the greater good.
Intern (Former Employee), Livermore, CaliforniaMarch 7, 2014
Pros: everything, no complaints.
Cons: as a government lab, the location was slightly distant from major cities such as san francisco, sacremento, etc.
Working at Livermore was very enjoyable; the work was extensive as one would work on a collection of long or short-term projects, and the projects, while relating to each other at times, were very diverse which assisted me in increasing my acumen across many different fields and in my area of concentration there, Computer Science. I would definitely like to return there; the Lab was similar to a college campus; people worked at their own pace and even though that was the case, the work was so exciting that everyone worked swiftly and efficiently, while still having time to take a break and go for a bike ride or sit by the lake, etc.
A fantastic job for a world renownd project
Geodesist Johnson Control (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: it took being a geodesist to a world competitive level.
Cons: i had to leave far too early
This took my knowledge of Geodesy to a whole new level. I still performed the same skills as I did at NDOT, but on a huge scale. I am so proud of being part of the National Ignition Facility project that is making world news.
Thermal Modeling
Staff Researcher (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 13, 2014
Good place to work. Very demanding and often times extra stress were put onto us to meet deadlines, however, that is the quality of industry life. Loved the job culture and the enthusiasm lots of co-workers put into their research.
Dynamic engineering environment at a world-class research institution
MECHANICAL ENGINEER - Target Diagnostics Group (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: compensation, work/life balance
Cons: management, job culture
Working at LLNL was a completely different culture than anything I had experienced previously. I learned to adapt quickly to the requirements of the job and how to immediately contribute to my specific group to have success, The engineering work was rigorous and very thorough from design all the way through documentation and approvals. As a detail-oriented thinker, I appreciated this approach but found it cumbersome at times.

Compensation was great and benefits were decent (I actually worked for a contractor to the lab, though all my fellow employees and supervisors were LLNL employees. Government pay is really good there).

Managment and job culture left a lot to be desired, really. Government projects can be slow and therefore frustrating at the lack of progress over long periods of time (funding issues, etc.). Decision making from immediate management would lean in one direction one day and a totally different direction the next based on upper management's immediate needs funding constraints. The scope of my group's work was cut significantly over my time there, indicative of growing budget problems for the larger project as a whole. This greatly lowered group morale from repeated unexpected layoffs.

I had very little (read: none) feedback from management as to my own professional development and this was also very disappointing as a early-career engineer looking for direction from older engineering mentors.
Tons of very smart people in a laid-back environment
Industrial Partnerships Office Intern (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJanuary 7, 2014
I was an intern here and I was able to work with many Ph.d scientists at the top of their field. I was able to learn a lot about many aspects of the work that was being done at the lab.
Great Science and work environment, but lots of bureaucracy
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Livermore, CADecember 6, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, challenging
Cons: bureaucracy
I enjoy working at the Lab in many ways (flexible hours, challenging design tasks, academic environment), but the ratio of management to those of us at the end of the line that actually do work is too far out of whack. I think that is partly a result of the age of the waiting-for-pension folks that occupy most positions, though I think that will change soon since there is an enormous gap in age from those about to retire to the next generation of employees.
LLNL, since its reorganization as an LLC (partnered w/ Bechtel) is no longer the ideal place to work it once was under the University of California.
Engineer (Current Employee), Livermore, CAOctober 28, 2013
Pros: very relaxed work environment
Cons: lousy benefits and pay well below industry levels for comparable work.
LLNL offers its technical employees the possibility for a long and varied career.