Lawrence Memorial Hospital

Lawrence Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Human Rescources/Past worker
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  New London, CT (Main Campus)February 17, 2014
I used to work at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital 5 years ago as a Registered Nurse (RN). I have been attempting to reapply to multiple positions that I am qualified for. When I was employed there I enjoyed working for this hospital, I learned so much and my co-workers at that time were very helpful and approchable as rescourses which also made the job as enjoyable as it could be! Management helped as much as possible, but in unfortunate circumstances I personally felt that when needed they are supposed to defend their staff (depending on the particular type of discipline), but in my case that was not the fact, to and including the Union, but again they do what is easier for them (even if they are proven to be wrong). I have been trying to return to work at this hospital again for multiple positions which I am qualified for, but I have not heard back from Human Rescources, I have called multiple times, including multiple times during the day and I have also sent an e-mail; This has been going on since November 2013 and I think this is absoluty unprofessional at least give an applicant an answer!
Pros
when employed; co-workers, breaks when needed, insurance and most important is the knowledged i learned.
Cons
when employed; in specific situations no support from managment and most of all the union, especially when they were proven wrong!
Doctors work well with nurse,
LPN (Current Employee) –  Lawrence , KsJune 28, 2013
We see about 120 to 180 patients daily in the ER. My job is to put on splints, IV starts, Pt. to doctor care. I work side by side with doctors at bed side. help with Pelvic exams. Pic line insertion, EKG's, tr4ansport pt. to CT and X-ray, MRI, up to floors/room for admits. Dressing changes, IM and Sub QU shots, Rabies shots. Patient teaching about self care and Medications, Splint care. Side effects
of medications. Importance to pt. care of self. Help with trauma care. Hardest part of job is when a pt. dies. most enjoyable pt. is seeing and being able to help pt. feel better. My co workers are great we all work as a team to get things done. All of the staff nurses and doctors work together for the pt. it does not matter if it is your pt. or not.
Pros
good health insurance, great team work
Cons
some times to busy to get lunch.
Negative atmosphere, great co-workers
HIM Clerk III/ROI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 5, 2014
I would do just about everything there was to do in the medical records department. Prepping paper documents for scanning, scanning then analyzing the electronic record for correct documents.I also did release of information and posted payments from moneys received from records sent. The management i dont think was the greatest. I think they did things that worked for them and not for the people that did the work. The co-workers were the greatest and I loved being a part of that team. I learned a lot the medical record and what is legally suppose to be in one. I also learned what you can and cant release in a medical record and who can have it. The hardest part of the job was trying to read the mind of the supervisor and doing the right thing.I enjoyed the people I worked with and the job in general.
Pros
discount in the gift shop and caffiteria
Cons
management
Overall great but with a big pitfall in IT department
Desktop Technician II (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 27, 2013
This is a great place to work as a whole. Over my stay I was able to learn quite a bit though there was not enough room for growth after 2-3 years. Unfortunately, the biggest downside is that the IT department has too many levels of management that seem to micromanage and overwork current employees due to lack of staffing. The company has expanded its support level so fast and so quickly that it cannot support daily function well enough with current staff levels. Also, with so many layers of management alot of times you find yourself being pulled in many different directions that contradict each other.
Pros
steady and secure job, great staff and environment to work in
Cons
overworked due to lack of staff, micro managed, multiple levels of management
Never a Dull Moment
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 17, 2015
A typical day at working for Unidine at Lawrence Memorial Hospital usually starts early as you serve the hospital's patients breakfast. You are in charge of getting all meals to patients, communicating with nurses to stay up-to-date on the patients' dietary needs. You are also in charge of managing their diet and watching their intake levels of certain things that the doctor has drawn caution to. The environment is up-beat and requires high energy and often leaves you tired at the end of a shift, the shifts are scheduled in 6 hour or 12 hour blocks which served as the hardest part of the job. Getting to interact with each of the patients, nurses, and hospital staff was the most enjoyable part of the day.
Pros
good pay, up-beat, interesting, insightful
Cons
Too much drama and clinics do not work as a team.
Patient Account Rep/Patient Access Registrar (Current Employee) –  Walnut Ridge, ARJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day at work includes pre-registering patients and verifying their insurance, getting their charts ready for the Dr, tracking tests and placing test results on patient charts for the Dr to review, registering patients as they arrive for appointments, making sure appropriate documents are signed by the patient and placed in their charts, answering the phone, scheduling appointments, and customer service.

Management does not handle personnel issues properly. They play favorites and if you are not one of the favorites they make life intolerable for you.

Co-workers do not work as a team.

The most enjoyable part of my job is interaction with the patients.
Terrible company to work for
Information Services (Former Employee) –  New London, CTNovember 10, 2014
This company offers absolutely NO training to their employees. They do not care about their employees, and put extreme amount of stress on them. They surprise their employees with silly certification exams that you have to pay out of pocket up front, that were never disclosed during the hiring process and spring it upon them after their 90 day review. Management in the department that I worked in, is best suited to work at a chop shop in a junk yard, then hospital, in a professional environment. I would advise you do your research before attempting to send in application this facility.
Cons
no training-poor management.
Busy Hospital with main area being the ED
Lead Technologist/Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  New London, CTAugust 20, 2014
High paced hospital setting. Start my day in the main department then move to the ED for second shift. We have two techs 3-11 and one 5-9. In addition to all ED patients we cover O.R., outpatients till 8pm and have in patients as ordered.
My current manager is very fair and easy to work with.
The co-workers on second work symbiotically and independently.
The hardest part of the job is exams being ordered incorrectly having had McKesson software just installed.
My favorite part of the job is direct patient care, working with the physicians to provide the best imaging quality for the patient as well as working with student technologist.
Great learning place from clinicals to career
Histotechnician (Per Diem) - Histology Laboratory (Current Employee) –  New London, CTJuly 25, 2015
My co-workers helped me while I was a student during my clinical rotation to become familiar with the procedures and routines in the lab as well as helping me establish my skills as a histotechnician. Management is a pleasure to work for and push me to become a better tech and is always available to provide guidance and help with any issues. I have and continue to learn more about the field everyday and have been able to develop my skills to a level to help in keeping up with lab productivity.
Wonderful place to receive health care services.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 11, 2013
LMH is a place where as a patient you can feel you are taken care of by each and every member of the health care team. As an employee you are well taken care of and have a wonderful support system. The hardest part of the job is making sure you don't miss any critical details while taking care of each patient. I love working with patients and being able to say, "I did everything for this patient to ensure they are safe, supported, and moving towards a healthier self.
benefits
L+M is an excellent employer in the area of S.E. Connecticut.
Administrative/Risk Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  New London, CTOctober 21, 2013
L+M is a good place to work. It employs 1500 + employees. It's a small community hospital located in southeastern Connecticut. They have an active Employee Activity Club, a credit union for the employees a good 401K benefit for employees and a nice facility in which to work. There really isn't any "cons" I can add to describing employment. People are expected to work to their full potential, and the hospital offers assistance to those who ask for it.
PC Analyst/Technician
PC Analyst/Technician, Information Services (Former Employee) –  New London, CTSeptember 2, 2015
I enjoyed my position the work hours scheduled was flexible, as it allowed me to take my daughter to school.
I Installed, maintained, and upgraded numerous PC systems and servers and software. As well as test and review software and hardware.
Aside from the department CIO’s unwillingness to improve our services to the departments as recommended by Connecticut Hospitals Association (CHA), it was a pleasure to work at the hospital.
Pros
benifits, staff, frendly environment, flex-hour schedule
Cons
management and lack of progress to improve the IT services
Excellent position and co-workers with hospital downsizing no job secutiry
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  New London, CTJune 27, 2014
Typical day: Very busy.
What I learned: Additional skills achieved at Employee and Occupational Health.
Management: RN mentor was excellent and gave me confidence to do my job.
Your co-workers: Excellent and skilled in their profession, great to work with.
The hardest part of the job: Keeping up with workload.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Doing my job well and making the customer happy by meeting his/her needs.
Pros
benefits & camaraderie
Cons
hospital downsizing no job security
Mid sized regional hospital, ideal place to start a career.
Server and Storage Administrator (Current Employee) –  New London, CTSeptember 30, 2015
A great place to start your career. It would be best to learn what you can and plan on moving in 3-5 years. Upward mobility at the hospital is limited.

Your local group of co-workers will be supportive. Challenges in the healthcare landscape can make work here very challenging. It is important to not take things personally and try to focus on daily accomplishments.

Try to attach to and learn from knowledgeable peers.
First impression is the best impression
Imagining Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Medford, MANovember 25, 2015
Greeting all patients, directing patients to there designated area's
entering patients for there exam whether it be mammogram, ultrasound,nuc med, cat scans or xrays.
Preparing all paper work for cat scan printing off labs, previous exams
collecting all doctors orders
calling to retrieve doctors orders for exams
fixing issues that arise with computer/fax/copy/cd burner
printing off all previous exam for tumor board schedule
Pros
MEETING NEW PEOPLE
20 yrs ago, I would not of recommended this hospital to my fellow nurses
Registered Nurse, Medical Telemetry (Former Employee) –  Medford, MAJanuary 16, 2016
20 years ago this hospital was unsatisfactory. With high patient/nurse ratio's and poor support for staff/client and staff/physician issues. health insurance and education reimbursement was adequate. Keep in mind that this is one persons opinion/experience. It is my expectation/hope that they have evolved with the times.
Challenging area with great supervisor
Interventional Mammographer (Former Employee) –  New London, CTDecember 4, 2013
I worked at L+M hospital for many years, so it became very much a family. I enjoyed the challenges my job presented to me. Every day was different with many different personalities of patients and co-workers. I learned a great deal about the equipment, computers and interpersonal skills. I worked well with the Breast Imaging Supervisor and enjoyed my time with her. I enjoyed the interventional part of my job the most.
Fast paced cultural environment
Emergency Room Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSOctober 2, 2015
Its a great place to work. Rated Top 100 hospitals.
In order to advance, you must be in a department that has room for that. Unfortunately some departments do not and the raises are few.
Pros
Some departments do not have room for advancement and pay raises are very few and very small
Cons
People are friendly, cafeteria food is good, environment is clean, the interaction with the community is phenomenal
Emergency Department Volunteer
Current Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 13, 2012
When I come into the ED clinic I quickly communicate with the nurses to see what needs to be done. My main role is to turn over the rooms and make sure all is perfectly sanitized so the next doctor can come in and start working without any issues.
Pros
free lunches, laid back, great learning environment
Cons
can be slow at times
your performance depended on your ability to work mostly by yourself with honesty and the knowledge that lives depended on your abilitiy and assurance
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Medford, MAApril 12, 2015
My time at LMH was very technical and interesting, and a constant learning experience. The responsibility that automatically came with the job relied heavily on your integrity and dedication to performing your duties with the utmost care and concerns for the well being of the patients.

4.3