Lawrence Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

dynamic and challenging
Farm to School Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 1, 2016
With a new position that doesn't exist many other places, it was fun to explore the possibilities of what I could do with various working groups. I was expected to self direct with little leadership in this new position. I wasn't able to collaborate with my supervisors as often as i would have wished and felt like to could have used more leadership to navigate a new working environment. I feel like there has been a lot of back and forth on policy and top down decisions that will not be very effective or sustainable without continuing a similar position or model after my contract ends.
Great Community and great kids
School Safety Officer, City of Lawrence (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 1, 2016
Overall satisfactory in workplace environment, great for future teachers and careers in education, very smart staff and administration, great working hours and benefits, great place to live and work and helping inner-city students to succeed. Perfect location between New Hampshire and Boston. Excellent local eateries and historical location, and great place to raise a family.
Pros
company lunches and tuition reimbursement
Cons
outdated management methods
I love the people I work with
Classroom/School Nurse (LPN) (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMarch 10, 2016
The school I work at and the people I work with are amazing. The higher ups can make things difficult. But you cannot beat school hours and summers off!
Pros
summers, vacations, snow days off
Pre School Teacher
Teacher Prek-K (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAOctober 14, 2015
I worked with children on the Autism Spectrum 3-6 years old. I was in charged of teaching communication skills, life skills, ADL skills, and more.
Pros
See the child to gain language and communication skills
Cons
To many students
Difficult to find respect in my field of study
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, NYSeptember 26, 2015
I have worked both as an art therapy intern and as a Teacher's aide at Lawrence Public School. As an intern, it seemed that there was no one to supervise my daily, or even weekly, tasks. I took it upon myself to find children to work with, write my own notes, and practice art therapy. This was difficult as I really had no direction other than that of my professors at school and my internship classes at the time. I learned how to be persistent, patient, and independent in a school setting. As a teacher's aide, work was mostly easy. I was to be working with children on a 1:1 basis, facilitating their learning and school work tasks. At times, this was difficult because these children did have some special needs and they were difficult to handle, but I was able to work through this since I am trained in this area. The most enjoyable part of these jobs was the relationship with the students. Knowing that they feel accomplished, and knowing that they can trust me was a highlight of my job.
Pros
Great students, good environment
Cons
Poor management, missing paychecks
It's a workplace
K Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 16, 2015
Great place to work, as long as you are a strong teacher. They laid off teachers on the last week of school due to test scores.. HOWEVER did not give them support when they asked for it several times.
Nice place to work
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 12, 2015
Taking care of a school gives you such a great feeling. Working for Lawrence Public Schools was a great place to start out at. The people/teachers were awesome and the facilities were great too.
Pros
Part time
Cons
LPS: A great learning experience. For passionate educators who love a challenge.
Integrated Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MaJune 5, 2015
In Lawrence Public schools, I have taught an integrated preschool which includes a ratio of special needs, at risk and typically developing students from the age of 2.9 to 5. In my experience I have worked with many students with varying challenges; language development, behavior plans, physically challenged, visually challenged, children with ASD, developmental delays and social emotional challenges. I have experience with writing IEP's as well as implementing individual student goals. I am skilled at differentiating my instruction, using technology and the resources at my disposal to ensure success in all students. My goal is for an outsider to walk in and not be unable to distinguish students with disabilities to typically developing students.
My strengths are classroom management, behavior modification and developing creative and meaningful lessons that connect to state standards.
Pros
Great resources and peer collaboration
Cons
transient curriculum and adminstration
Amicable employees
Custodial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MANovember 8, 2014
The best part of my job was knowing that my "end" of my day was not really my end of my day because it was only still the early evening. My coworkers were people I felt compassionate about and my management consisted of people in which I praised. The hardest aspects of my job was the days where student left an immense amount of trash in each room and I had to clean up after two floors and in individual classrooms. But overall the job was decent, just not fast paced enough and not sociable enough.
Pros
key to classrooms
Cons
short breaks
A wonderful school environment
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAOctober 23, 2013
- Watch over first grade children, be a one on one teacher with children with specific needs.
- I learned how to handle children that needed to learn, the lack of learning and lack of self control.
- The Head of School was great, he knew how to manage a school with lots of behavioral problems and lack of education and make a miracle on a tough school year.
- I had wonderful co-workers who knew what they were doing day in and day out.
- Control behavioral children while helping them learn in the classroom.
- See the change, from day one, till the very last day of school, from the every child in the Community Day Arlington School.
Pros
full time job, lunch, flexible head of school
Cons
short contract
Exciting and challenging place to work.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJune 26, 2012
I enjoyed working with the students. I did not enjoy the politics of the job once Lawrence was taken over by the Receiver. The stress created by the idea that the teachers had to brag about what they were doing took away from the everyday needs of what needed to be done. The job before Lawrence was taken over was fun and rewarding.
Pros
working with children. getting students to learn english.
Cons
the administration lack of support and the idea that students were always right.
Satisfying working with children
Instructional Aid (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMay 8, 2012
Working from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. assisting teachers with lessons, and teacher related activities and work. I learned how to deal with problematic students, teachers, and parents. I did enjoy working with the middle school staff and students. It was hard to deal with out of control students and parents.
Pros
the district help me obtain my master degree
Cons
very low pay
On the cutting edge of implementing new programs.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAApril 7, 2013
A typical day is non stop. I have learned to use data as a basis for driving instruction. I work with outstanding, professional, thought provoking teachers. Most difficult is the high number (case load) of students. Hardest part is getting students interested in wanting to achieve, it is very frustrating when students have an "I don't care attitude." Another difficult part is non complying behavioral students being allowed to stay in the class and interrupt lessons. Not many consequences for these students.
Working and helping students realize their full potential is the most enjoyable part of my job. I love when a student will ask for help and is willing to stay after school or come before school for help.
Pros
amazing, professional teachers
Cons
discipline is not enforced causing time off task.
Fun place to work. Busy at times.
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, NYApril 2, 2014
Report to work at 3:00PM. Go outside after school dismissal and make all students boarded their respective buses safely. Make sure all student left the grounds orderly and safely. After all students departed I would check the grounds, secure all doors and commence the cleaning of my assigned area. At 11:00PM I would check the grounds and lock the school doors as well as set the alarm.
I learned how to be responsible and self motivated.
Management was very good and caring for the employees.
My co-workers were very good and willing to teach the job so it could be performed effectively.
The hardest part of the job was working in the hot summer to get the school ready for fall classes.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of accomplishment to allow children to come to a sanitary, safe and conducive to learning environment.
Pros
medical benefits as well as pension plan.
Cons
not much monetary compensation.
I decided I wanted to teach reading.
Middle School Specialist/Writing Coach (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 16, 2014
I witnessed a tremendous amount of students in Lawrence that were being asked to take standardized-grade level tests that they couldn't read. Even without testing, being able to read is something they'll need to have in academic surroundings, and in life. There is a good amount of reading instruction at the elementary level, but none at the middle school level. In addition, part of the problem is the transient nature of the student population. In short, because of what I'd seen, reading instruction was the area that needed the most focus and was the best way to get each student to become more of a participant in school. The most enjoyable part of the work was when I found an article, a play script, or a short story that the students had strong opinions about because it proved to them they have something to offer.
Pros
developing a positive, healthy relationship with students
Cons
not being able to teach reading all day long!
teacher aid
Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMarch 11, 2015
teachers are great
caring towards students
when you work as a teacher in a public school your got to love it it take lots of pacience
Fun place to work at especially with my co-workers, bieng able to have at least one student smile during tough days.
Assist children individually (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMay 22, 2013
A typical day, well there is NEVER a typical day. There is always something new that is learned, from the children, such as whether they had to be taken away from parents for any reason. How some of their lives is just not as they make believe everyone else to be. The most important fact is that I have learned to be VERY patient. My co-workers are fun individuals who work together for the same goal. Help our students succeed in life. The hardest part of my job sometimes is not knowing what to expect from students on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part is that no matter what the students at times say things or do things that are just plain funny and you just have to laugh with them. How many are appreciative of the help we lend to them in times of need, not just school work.
Pros
my co-workers
Cons
being out of the classroom most times, due to substituting, testing etc..
Productive work place.
Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 8, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working in Lawrence public schools is the kids. My co-workers were also very supportive.
it is a fun place to work
School Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 13, 2012
It is a good place to work if you like woking with kids you will get alot of experience you will enjoy working with kids and with all the staff members
Diverse
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work,I walk in and get myself ready to start first period class. Depending on the day schedule (we have a six day schedule). I can either go to ELA class or MATH. There are days when I have to be divided between two ELA and two MATH. For ELA we hear audio books, we discuss questions related to the reading,We also do projects in relation to the book is being read at the time. We also get the kids ready for MCAS.

For MATH class we learn about intergers, grapsh, negative and positive numbers, we do real word problems, percentages etc. We get them prepare for ANET which is a test that helps the students get ready for MCAS.

I have covered classroooms when teachers have been out, for personal, meetings, or training.

I have learned to know the material ahead of time in order to help the students with class work. I have sat with them individually to go over the material as a one on one or small group setting. I have learned at times to teach the students what is being taught in class.

My co-workers are AWESOME people we are a TEAM we work very well together. We support each other, we are very understanding. We work problems out together, we keep each other inform of any problmes with students.

The hardest part of the job I would say, when a teacher is out and did not leave any planning for students.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help students and working wiht my team.
Pros
There is never a dull day
Cons
Lack of communication at times from administration

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawrence Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8