Lawrence Public Schools Employee Reviews

Very well run school
Substitute Aide (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, NYJuly 20, 2017
Lawrence schools provided me with the experience I needed in the classrooms. it was however very difficult to get a full time position in Lawrence, despite my countless efforts.
hard working environment
Teacher of Students (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAApril 26, 2017
Long days, busy with lesson planning, not a lot of extra things for students to participate in.
A lot of new teachers who work there.
Tough students that help you become a better teacher because of the constant challenges that you are faced with.

Start time at work 750 and end time 315.
Pros
lots of positions
Cons
work life balance
You can change or make better the children and the lives of the children of Lawrence
Administrative Assistant/Clerk/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAApril 12, 2017
If you love a challenge and children this is the place for you to work at there is never a dull day or moment. You are always busy and multitasking. Everyday you make a difference in a child's life.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Physically and mentally demanding yet very rewarding!
Autism Specialist Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  School for Exceptional Studies at AnnexApril 11, 2017
Although the day can be very demanding, it is very satisfying to see the progress each student makes on a daily, monthly and yearly basis. I really enjoy my co workers who are very supportive and encouraging. The demographics and culture have given me enormous exposure to the difficulties one may experience when living with a child who has a special need, or does not have the funds or support at home therefore it can interfere with their day.
Pros
40 hours
Cons
Benefits, support from city
It had its moments
SPED PARA EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 6, 2017
It is typically a great place to work; however, the rewards come when you know how you have impacted each person's life. There were ups and downs, however that is with any job.
Pros
Having weekends off
Cons
Their actions on bullying
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 5, 2017
Overall, LPS is a great place to work. Lots of support for new hires and many opportunities for training. Their benefits and salary are lower than other districts in the area.
Judgmental group of individual cliques with little or no attention to facts over appearances
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MIMarch 24, 2017
The job involved very long and tediuos hours with little to no room for advancement. Each grade level was uniquely "cliquey". Management only added to creating a separtist environment by discouraging cross-grade discussion, except when forced.
Cons
Very short break, often no planning time
nice to work at school
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMarch 6, 2017
it was pretty nice to work at my high school while i was still attending all we did was clean the class rooms according to the academy you were in so every building had students from each academy.
Flexible work times.
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MINovember 10, 2016
I enjoyed my time there for the most part. Then new superintendent took over and it wasn't the same. Just wasn't happy there anymore.
Lawrence Public Schools
Manager of Families and Community (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAOctober 11, 2016
I have learned so much in the past few years. I have been able to work as a teacher and a part of the administrative team. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that the work that I do has an impact on the students I serve.
dynamic and challenging
Farm to School Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 1, 2016
With a new position that doesn't exist many other places, it was fun to explore the possibilities of what I could do with various working groups. I was expected to self direct with little leadership in this new position. I wasn't able to collaborate with my supervisors as often as i would have wished and felt like to could have used more leadership to navigate a new working environment. I feel like there has been a lot of back and forth on policy and top down decisions that will not be very effective or sustainable without continuing a similar position or model after my contract ends.
Nice school district
Title One Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MIMarch 27, 2016
Lawrence is a school district that provides students with great one-on-one attention working with students that may be struggling to help them succeed.

Although the time off is a great benefit, the school district does not offer affordable benefits for employees other than teachers. The support staff (cafeteria staff, bus drivers, janitors, and paraprofessionals) are often overlooked on both competitive salaries and benefits. It would be beneficial if the school looked into providing that type of staff with a livable and competitive wage.
Pros
Great time off
Cons
Low pay
I love the people I work with
Classroom/School Nurse (LPN) (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMarch 10, 2016
The school I work at and the people I work with are amazing. The higher ups can make things difficult. But you cannot beat school hours and summers off!
Pros
summers, vacations, snow days off
Great Community and great kids
School Safety Officer, City of Lawrence (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 1, 2016
Overall satisfactory in workplace environment, great for future teachers and careers in education, very smart staff and administration, great working hours and benefits, great place to live and work and helping inner-city students to succeed. Perfect location between New Hampshire and Boston. Excellent local eateries and historical location, and great place to raise a family.
Pros
company lunches and tuition reimbursement
Cons
outdated management methods
Pre School Teacher
Teacher Prek-K (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAOctober 14, 2015
I worked with children on the Autism Spectrum 3-6 years old. I was in charged of teaching communication skills, life skills, ADL skills, and more.
Pros
See the child to gain language and communication skills
Cons
To many students
Difficult to find respect in my field of study
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, NYSeptember 26, 2015
I have worked both as an art therapy intern and as a Teacher's aide at Lawrence Public School. As an intern, it seemed that there was no one to supervise my daily, or even weekly, tasks. I took it upon myself to find children to work with, write my own notes, and practice art therapy. This was difficult as I really had no direction other than that of my professors at school and my internship classes at the time. I learned how to be persistent, patient, and independent in a school setting. As a teacher's aide, work was mostly easy. I was to be working with children on a 1:1 basis, facilitating their learning and school work tasks. At times, this was difficult because these children did have some special needs and they were difficult to handle, but I was able to work through this since I am trained in this area. The most enjoyable part of these jobs was the relationship with the students. Knowing that they feel accomplished, and knowing that they can trust me was a highlight of my job.
Pros
Great students, good environment
Cons
Poor management, missing paychecks
It's a workplace
K Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 16, 2015
Great place to work, as long as you are a strong teacher. They laid off teachers on the last week of school due to test scores.. HOWEVER did not give them support when they asked for it several times.
Nice place to work
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 12, 2015
Taking care of a school gives you such a great feeling. Working for Lawrence Public Schools was a great place to start out at. The people/teachers were awesome and the facilities were great too.
Pros
Part time
Cons
LPS: A great learning experience. For passionate educators who love a challenge.
Integrated Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MaJune 5, 2015
In Lawrence Public schools, I have taught an integrated preschool which includes a ratio of special needs, at risk and typically developing students from the age of 2.9 to 5. In my experience I have worked with many students with varying challenges; language development, behavior plans, physically challenged, visually challenged, children with ASD, developmental delays and social emotional challenges. I have experience with writing IEP's as well as implementing individual student goals. I am skilled at differentiating my instruction, using technology and the resources at my disposal to ensure success in all students. My goal is for an outsider to walk in and not be unable to distinguish students with disabilities to typically developing students.
My strengths are classroom management, behavior modification and developing creative and meaningful lessons that connect to state standards.
Pros
Great resources and peer collaboration
Cons
transient curriculum and adminstration
Diverse
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work,I walk in and get myself ready to start first period class. Depending on the day schedule (we have a six day schedule). I can either go to ELA class or MATH. There are days when I have to be divided between two ELA and two MATH. For ELA we hear audio books, we discuss questions related to the reading,We also do projects in relation to the book is being read at the time. We also get the kids ready for MCAS.

For MATH class we learn about intergers, grapsh, negative and positive numbers, we do real word problems, percentages etc. We get them prepare for ANET which is a test that helps the students get ready for MCAS.

I have covered classroooms when teachers have been out, for personal, meetings, or training.

I have learned to know the material ahead of time in order to help the students with class work. I have sat with them individually to go over the material as a one on one or small group setting. I have learned at times to teach the students what is being taught in class.

My co-workers are AWESOME people we are a TEAM we work very well together. We support each other, we are very understanding. We work problems out together, we keep each other inform of any problmes with students.

The hardest part of the job I would say, when a teacher is out and did not leave any planning for students.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help students and working wiht my team.
Pros
There is never a dull day
Cons
Lack of communication at times from administration