LAWRENCE TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
keep looking
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, VAJuly 3, 2017
I have never seen a company like this and I wonder why employees stay. On the outside it appears that Lawrence Transportation has so many sources of revenue (local freight, OTR freight, local household goods, OTR household goods, on site truck/trailer shop) it would be an excellent place to work. Not to mention well placed locations in the Virginia area at least. However it seems like all areas of the business could be better managed. I believe the poor management has to do partly with low hiring requirements and low pay. A CDL driver coming off the road or anyone expecting to make a mid to high level of income will be sadly disappointed. The business I believe is geared to help make OTR drivers and upper level office personnel very successful. In other words if you are not an OTR driver or support OTR your income will be low and you will wonder why you come to work every day.
Pros
company supplied uniforms
Cons
low pay, poor management, need new trucks
Enjoyed answering switchboard and greeting our customers
Receptionsist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 15, 2017
Great place to work for. Wonderful family run business. Respected in the moving business. Enjoyed answering switchboard phone and meeting people.
Pros
Enjoyed working with people; one hour for lunch
Cons
Needed to make more money
Good Honest company
Helper (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, VAJuly 30, 2014
Everyone who works here is good and honest. I enjoyed my time here. A lot of hard work, but fair work
Relaxed atmosphere that made learning and working enjoyable
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCAugust 12, 2013
A typical at day work is to take people's calls and their moving information, make sure that they are set up with a sales person and dates are set.
I learned about different applications and about how to better serve our customers.
My coworkers are hard working and devoted people who have spent many years with the company and speak of going no where else.
The hardest part of the job sometimes can be the customers themselves. Moving always comes with stress and often the customers are overwhelmed and occasionally can be a bit demanding and impatient. Sometimes they don't always understand the process of moving with a company so they have to be made aware. This job takes patience.
Coincedentally, the most enjoyable part of the job is also the customers. It is nice to know that when they are overwhelmed and stressed that we can be the ones who help them. It's a great opporitunity to be able to speak with them about their move over the phone and share war stories and to be able to bring a relief that they aren't alone in their endeavors. It's a small thing, but it counts.