Lawson Products Employee Reviews in United States

Take this review seriously!
Outside Sales Representive (Former Employee) –  NDJune 27, 2016
Lawson does have a good training program for new reps at their headquarters. I have learned some valuable tools for the sales world. Other than that this place is a disaster.
Lawson claims to care about their employees and resolve issues. I have only found one person in HR that cares about my concerns I have voiced. It is the District Management and above who don't care or want to hear the truth. When asked about my concerns from management they skate around the fact that there is serious problems within the company. The only thing they want to hear about is the food in the cafeteria is bad. Sadly this is most companies now days, and even across the world.

Lawson will flat out lie to your face to get a sales person out on the streets. When hired I was told this is a greenfield area (more like a scavenger area). There was already a rep here. It doesn't help in a low population area when there is a rep who has the largest businesses in town that spend the most money. Lawson's management answer-"Sometimes we forget that we already have a rep in a area". How does a manager forget they have reps already in place? Isn't it the job of management to manage? Lawson will hire as many reps as they can to peddle their over priced products. This is also embarrassing for the rep and the company when a new rep shows up at a company and they already have a rep. Even more ridiculous is when two reps have to argue over who gets the new account because they are stacked on top of each other.

The commissions are terrible. Let's do some simple math here. On a $200 order at 20% commission
  more... (if your are lucky) that earns you forty dollars. Now a rep has to go out and find 200-300 accounts and drive hundreds of miles just to try and survive. Another financial issue is that if a rep needs to demo a product that isn't provided to them they have to buy it with their own money.

It is few and far between at Lawson to find people in management that are good leaders who truly care about people. A large amount of them only care about how much you are doing in sales. There is no happy medium with management. Either they don't care about the reps or they are so far down your throat that it will make a person quit. Lawson will send you to an awesome training program and teach you one way. When you get back your DSM will tell you otherwise. This is where lack of communication comes in.

Of the reps I have met I have made some great friends. Hardest part of my job is dealing with management, stacking of reps, and competing with other large outside vendors i.e. Kimble Midwest, Grainger, etc. The best part of my job is meeting new people and going home.

This is the short of the long believe it or not. In summary if you want to deal with poor commissions, poor management, micromanaging, embarrassment, being set up for failure, and other frustrations then Lawson is the place for you. Lawson is nothing more than a stepping stone to something bigger and better. You have been warned!
Pros
Not in the same spot everyday, customer service
Cons
Management, micromanaging, lack of communication, commissions, have to buy own demo products, driving hundreds of miles
Strong focus on growth with great working atmosphere and team
Senior Vice President - Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2016
Strong focus on customer value with a solid balance of employee focus. Company is focused on delivering solid customer value and dedicated to the development of its sales team,
Pros
strong growth opportunities
Cons
resources can be limited when seeking to drive new initiatives
excellent place to work
Inside Sales Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHJune 24, 2016
My day was always different. Always trying to create new customers and take what you know and turn it into an income. The staff was always there to help and make you successful. The customers were the best part of the job. Getting to know them and their families made my day more enjoyable.
Pros
Monday - Friday 8-4:30
Cons
long drive to work
A good place to work. Very business oriented.
Corporate Customer Service, Senior (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMay 4, 2016
Customer Service job was very intense. On phones all day. Time management a must. Was very closely watched. Co-workers were great. Very stressful at times.
Great Company to Work for
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2016
Great company to work for, good income, good benefits, great flexability. Long days, lots of windshield time Mangement not always equal in handing out leads to potential customers
Pros
Excellent commision structure
Cons
amount of hours
Productive and small family oriented
shipping/Receiving (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJanuary 12, 2016
I would come in to a 5 minute meeting with the supervisor and the team leader to discuss the variation of the day. Where people were going to be disbuted throughout the day in different departments. I went where the work was. I had knowledge of every department. Also,drove the forklifts such as reach,and cherry picker. I was beginning my training on the sit-down.
Commission Only Opportunity
Territory Sales Manager High Desert, California (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJanuary 4, 2016
Territory Sales Management
Business Development
Customer Retention
Reporting
Product knowledge and Sales Strategies
Team Building and Support
The most difficult part of this job is converting customers
The most enjoyable part of this job is when you get the customers to convert, they are usually pretty loyal and easy to work with.
Pros
Work from Home Office
Cons
Commission Only
Difficult to satisfy regional management
sales manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 16, 2015
I came from a very successful industrial background previous to this position, they were dead set on changing the way I approached the customer even after showing them my successes in performing it my way and proving to them that their method would not be successful in this rural market.
Pros
freedom to create customer base
Cons
difficult management and not embracing technology
Work Life
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 14, 2015
Work life balance is good. Not enough compensation for what you do. I enjoy the environment and quality of products. However they do not provide the right amount of compensation.
Great place to work for and very corporate culture
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILDecember 3, 2015
I enjoyed coming to work and supporting the management team to accomplish the task at hand. Employees were great and made work enjoyable.
Pros
Free lunches and coffee
Cons
No bonus at the end of the year
Very fast paced sales environment, with great benefits initially
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  SW FLOctober 11, 2015
The entire sales compensation changed no less than ten times during the last 4 years. We changed CEO's, and they both had a different plan as to how to proceed. Although the nationwide "parties" were fun, I would have liked to have had more support in the field with customer requests that I had to do on my own.
Pros
Initially, base salary, car allowance, and cell phone
Cons
All of the above were taken away, and the entire sales force went to a commission only basis, after we were forced to lower pricing across the board.
Lawson Products is a great company with fantastic products.
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 25, 2015
Lawson Products is a great company that provides high quality products to the MRO industry. I have been working in a greenfield territory and have been gaining some traction in the market place. Management, customer service, and all other resources are helpful in daily job duties. There is a wide range of potential customers, so everyday is different.
Pros
I am able to work at my own pace and set my own schedule.
Cons
Upon my hire date, there were no existing accounts. I have had to try to build a territory from the ground up.
Good place to work.
IT Service delivery supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2015
Lots of employee turn over in IT department.
Some managers are very difficult to work with.
No well defined policies, will also get no direction or support from the management.
Fun workplace positive management
Corporate Installer (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCJune 17, 2015
I enjoyed my time working with Lawson Products. The job taught me to work independently and to manage myself. I learned many valuable skills from this job
good culture, management needs work
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2015
Learned a lot. Management promotes favorites and those that grovel. Skills, time, and work ethic aren't considered.
Company itself is great, any department other than CS is much better.
Lawson was good the compensation was up and down mostly down.
Independent Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2015
A typical day would include returning phone calls, answer emails, make outside sales calls and build business. I learned to deal with difficult situations and push through tuff issues like discontinued products etc. The hardest part of my job was finding new customers in an old area. The most enjoyable part was working with the loyal customers and servicing their needs. I loved to introduce new products and demonstrated the benefits. I really enjoyed the co-workers and got along with management. I felt like the corporate people were very personable but just would not listen to ideas and made some critical mistakes'.
Pros
reputable, honest
Cons
compensation
Not a good career choice
Independent Industrial Sales Agent, Ohio (Former Employee) –  OhioApril 22, 2015
Company is struggling with old school vs new school. They are trying to be acquired, be aware that your employment may end with a buyout
Pros
qu
Good Vision - needs leadership fuel
Manager Web Group (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2015
top mngt. vision is in the right direction - transformation moving at the speed of an iceberg. Need to look at better business leaders in the ranks.
Pros
people - good group
Oppurtunity
Sales (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 28, 2015
Delta Air Lines, Inc - Material Logistics Supply Attendant
12/1997 to Present
Coordinate the daily operations logistically insuring that outgoing shipments are tracked and dispatched in a timely manner. Coordinate the shipping of dangerous goods materials in accordance with FAA, DOT, IATA and United States Customs Agency’s policies and procedures. Areas of direct responsibility include Shipping, Receiving, Large Parts Processing, and Inventory Control.
Proficient in SAP, DBMS, Microsoft Access, and various other Inventory Control Databases.
Communicates effectively with Materials Management personnel as well as Aircraft Maintenance personnel.
Security-Link - Sales Consultant
01/1997 to 06/1998
Generated leads by prospecting and networking.
Supervised the installation of all equipment at the customer’s residence/business.
Lawson Products Inc. - Sales Representative
11/1993 to 01/1997
Responsible for successfully integrating the
commercial goals of the business and understanding customers needs. Included successfully enhancing Market Share (through key Account Management skills) and Customer Profitability (through negotiation skills),
leveraging applied technical product / process knowledge to enter new business
opportunities and being a “preferred supplier” to key customers.
Inland Steel Company - Hourly Turn Supervisor
01/1991 to 04/1994
Responsible for turn supervision, auditing of crew conformance to quality standards, and supporting Inland's Employee Safety Program. Scheduled daily production requirements, goals and expectations.
Inland Steel Company - Welder
04/1978 to 01/1991
  more...
Maintained production equipment using MIG, TIG and Stick welding procedures.
Conducted preventative maintenance on equipment, made all necessary equipment repairs, blue print reading and fabricating.
Planned each assignment, which required assessing and securing the proper materials, tools and manpower to complete each task in the allotted time frame.
Pros
opportunity
Cons
long days
Great oppertunity to build a successful team
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaJanuary 19, 2015
Working at Lawson has given me the opportunity to grow a sales team that understands al facets of the sales procedure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawson Products. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7