Lawson Products Employee Reviews

Compensation Packages are Sub Par
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 5, 2017
The compensation package that is offered is very Sub Par to what is offered by other Employers. No Mileage reimbursement, No base Salary, and low commission for their higher than market value prices compared to competitors. This company is not price competitive in a very competitive market with customers having many different options.
Pros
Cons
Poor Management, High Prices, Poor Compensation
Small company
Database Marketing - Sr. Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMay 31, 2017
The analytical department was spread among multiple departments so there was a lot of duplication and west of resources. I mostly worked utilizing Microsoft Office products for analytical purposes and Developer Studio for reporting purposes. There was a lot of friction between IT department and business, which slowed down the process of obtaining the data and access to systems. Report automation was managed by IT department that slowed down the process of developing the reports to the main user even more. My manager was changing at least once a year that caused very low job security.
Cons
A lot of politics between the departments
Just a 5-digit number
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 31, 2017
New management does not comprehend the business segment that the company engages in. Hiring upper management that has no industry experience and are unable to close sales themselves, much less teach/train new hires how to sell.
fast distribution
Production worker, Assembly and Stock Room (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILMay 30, 2017
Very fun and fast paced, learn proper use of cnc machinery and forlift operations. great flexible work schedule and union orientated.
Good work model.
It was a fun place to work at.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liberal, KSMay 12, 2017
I was an office administrator for an independent agent. I liked the job. It was a good place to work. Today the company is different as far as they do not have independent agents.
Pros
Great people to work for
Cons
Some of their upper management.
A Days Work
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARApril 28, 2017
My day started by planning where I needed to be and who I could go meet that day. Then the selling would begin. This business is a relationship business.
Great place to work at
Packaging (Former Employee) –  McCook, ILApril 23, 2017
Pick orders. Complete them. Assembly. Packaging. And other things that were really fun tl do i loved this company the people were great the leads were also very helpful!
Cons
Short breaks
great company
Senior Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMarch 1, 2017
Great family atmosphere and great company overall. Enjoyed my time working for Lawson and company has great strategies for growth.
Solid
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Pocatello, IDFebruary 28, 2017
Solid Company that I would have no problem working for in the future provide good compensation only draw back is 100% commission with small customer base.
Good company to work at very flexable with schedules
Remote sales (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 20, 2017
Great company to work for, they are very flexible with schedules, reporting is very easy. The hardest part of the job is planning your day and following through.... work your plan..
Pros
Freedom to set your own schedule
Cons
sales materials can be a challenge
General Summary
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2017
-cold calling to open new accounts
- evaluate customers needs
- provide quotes and estimates
- provide cost saving analysis
- provide inventory control and mamagement
A good job to start your career.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Plant City, FLJanuary 31, 2017
Lawson Products is going through changes that I'm not 100% happy with all together. I love my sales job day to day work is hard but rewarding.
Cons
Very little benefits to work for the company
Great company with quality products
Sales / Service (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJanuary 3, 2017
This is a great company, they offer quality products at a fair price. I enjoyed building relationships with my customers and offering new products to help them save time and money.
Flexible Hours
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Alabama, Lousiana, MississippiDecember 13, 2016
Lawson is a good company that is stuck in its ways from 50 years ago. It is the smallest company I have worked for, but its a good fit for someone who has not worked at some of the visionary Billion dollar companies I have worked for. Would have liked to have been able to help them see a different vision for growth, but they are very stuck in there old ways.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Good administrative personel, decent benefits
Cons
Lots of turnover, stuck in there old ways, very little tech vision
Nice people to work with
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 6, 2016
Very nice people to work with. Not happy about the pricing of the products. Made it hard to be competitive.Called on accounts and sold Maintenance supplies. Worked with myself mostly. I would occasionally work with someone. Enjoyed the freedom and servicing customers.Did not enjoy not being able to be competitive.
great company,
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 24, 2016
great place to work,understands basic fundamentals and procedures of job,great coworkers,getting information from different source
Pros
Awards meeting and luncheon for the employees
Cons
1 hour lunch, Heath Insurance, perfect attendancei
Mro sales and service
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE/SALES MANAGER (Current Employee) –  LouisianaOctober 17, 2016
Good place to work,can be very promising if economy is good,managment wants you to succeed,coworkers are very good people,the hardest part is competitors prices are cheaper than ours
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
when economy is down its hard
Good people fun and challenging place to work.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILAugust 30, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Management may not give proper direction at times.
Lots of changes throughout the years, of different
management with various styles can make it difficult to focus on the
needed day to day tasks.
Pros
The support of co-workers, good employee relations.
Cons
Work loads and short time frames to complete tasks.
Integral supplier of hardware and consumables in shop and maintenance applications.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  North West territoryJuly 7, 2016
Emphasis is very heavy on demonstration, which works but limits the ability to mature customers from small business to large clients. Large clientele is needed to advance commissions and make a desirable income.
Management is involved, but disconnected with day to day operations. Over saturation of sales reps in a small business district makes it difficult to compete with other co workers.
Exploring different sections of the products Lawson offers allows some different market penetration, and yields some new accounts by utilizing different areas of consumption and facility maintenance.
Pros
Products are above and beyond quality and reliability expectations
Cons
Many layers of management, sales rep over saturation in small market
Take this review seriously!
Outside Sales Representive (Former Employee) –  NDJune 27, 2016
Lawson does have a good training program for new reps at their headquarters. I have learned some valuable tools for the sales world. Other than that this place is a disaster.
Lawson claims to care about their employees and resolve issues. I have only found one person in HR that cares about my concerns I have voiced. It is the District Management and above who don't care or want to hear the truth. When asked about my concerns from management they skate around the fact that there is serious problems within the company. The only thing they want to hear about is the food in the cafeteria is bad. Sadly this is most companies now days, and even across the world.

Lawson will flat out lie to your face to get a sales person out on the streets. When hired I was told this is a greenfield area (more like a scavenger area). There was already a rep here. It doesn't help in a low population area when there is a rep who has the largest businesses in town that spend the most money. Lawson's management answer-"Sometimes we forget that we already have a rep in a area". How does a manager forget they have reps already in place? Isn't it the job of management to manage? Lawson will hire as many reps as they can to peddle their over priced products. This is also embarrassing for the rep and the company when a new rep shows up at a company and they already have a rep. Even more ridiculous is when two reps have to argue over who gets the new account because they are stacked on top of each other.

The commissions are terrible. Let's do some simple math here. On a $200 order at 20% commission
  more... (if your are lucky) that earns you forty dollars. Now a rep has to go out and find 200-300 accounts and drive hundreds of miles just to try and survive. Another financial issue is that if a rep needs to demo a product that isn't provided to them they have to buy it with their own money.

It is few and far between at Lawson to find people in management that are good leaders who truly care about people. A large amount of them only care about how much you are doing in sales. There is no happy medium with management. Either they don't care about the reps or they are so far down your throat that it will make a person quit. Lawson will send you to an awesome training program and teach you one way. When you get back your DSM will tell you otherwise. This is where lack of communication comes in.

Of the reps I have met I have made some great friends. Hardest part of my job is dealing with management, stacking of reps, and competing with other large outside vendors i.e. Kimble Midwest, Grainger, etc. The best part of my job is meeting new people and going home.

This is the short of the long believe it or not. In summary if you want to deal with poor commissions, poor management, micromanaging, embarrassment, being set up for failure, and other frustrations then Lawson is the place for you. Lawson is nothing more than a stepping stone to something bigger and better. You have been warned!
Pros
Not in the same spot everyday, customer service
Cons
Management, micromanaging, lack of communication, commissions, have to buy own demo products, driving hundreds of miles

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawson Products. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8