Le Pain Quotidien Employee Reviews

A typical day at Le Pain Quotidein
Pastry Cook (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 15, 2017
I was starting my day at the office, where I received the list which determine the quantity of the product we made. Then I went to my work area greeting friends/co workers, preparing for the shift. After four hours of hard work we went to break room have some food or coffee, and chat with co workers for 15-30minutes. At the end of our shift I had to pack all pastries to dispatch to different Le pain Quotidein restaurants.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Healthcare
One of the best jobs I've ever had
Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2017
The manager hired me on the spot was very pleased with my ambition and eagerness to be apart of the company. I learned everything I needed to know about coffee, tea, bread, pastries and all the organic and gluten-free items offered on the menu. The employees were nice and welcoming, good at team work. It was like a family there.
Pros
A loving and happy enviornment
Cons
Family Emergency caused me to have a no call no show and I was not able to return back to work
Great work environment with helpful team mates
Server/ Service Manager (Former Employee) –  East Garden City, NYMay 2, 2017
Love love loved this job. There is room for advancement and the company has a great culture. Anybody would be lucky to work here. Great food and lots to learn.
Pros
Good culture, good pay
Cons
occasional arguments with coworkers
Good food
Barista/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAApril 28, 2017
You will learn to make amazing food, also good bread. A lot of the teachings from here you will carry on, and everyone was so kind and their training is very throughout.
Bad management and working conditions
Barista (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MarylandApril 24, 2017
Worked up to 10 hour shifts without being allowed a break or food or even just for water. Minimum wage and high pressure job. Friendly staff, but bad management.
Intern Experience
Accounts Payable Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2017
Great overall experience and atmosphere. I enjoyed my time interning at Le Pain Quotidien. Established great relationships with co-workers, and developed useful skills while working on complexed projects.
Productive and challenging workplace with important connections
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 10, 2017
Le Pain Quotidien has a unique clientele. Most of the customers frequent there two to three times a week. It is a great place to meet new people. Typical day consist of making caffeinated and non-caffeinated drinks, as well as, give out pastries. Most shifts I work are up to 8 hours and you are always moving. My job consists of keeping the back stock at all times and most of my co-workers make sure that they assist their colleagues when needed. My job is perfect for individuals who love a fast paced environment. You must be able to make things well but make them quickly as well.
Pros
50% off all employees
Cons
Pay is not quite enough and sometimes you do not get enough hours.
The truth
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 7, 2017
A typical day at work for me is picking up the slack from my lazy managers, running from the kitchen, the barista counter, and the floor to assure all customers are satisfied and all team members have the proper support during our busy peak hours. I usually have not ever had much support whether I was a barista, server, or a manager.

I learned from working here how to multitask several things at the same time and maintain as much sanity as possible. Managers never seem to be hired for their ability to get their hands dirty but instead for the incomparable skill to suck up to the higher up corporate managers while speaking French. Its a European company so try being European if you want to be acknowledged.

I actually really enjoyed my coworkers for the most part when I was a simple team member. We all sweat together, panic together, stress together, share horrible customer experiences, and ultimately understand the struggle of doing what you have to do to pay your rent and keep gas in your car, if you even have a car. The customers are all upper-middle class who tend to all be in a rush and want things how they want it, whether or not the place is busy or if the item is even on the menu. But once you have their confidence they can actually be very nice and caring.

The hardest part of my job was not so much the busy rushes, the understaffing, the difficult customers, but rather it was dealing with the utter lack of concern and respect from the corporate managers. I grew up with the sense of moral obligation to treat others the way you want to be treated and this company
  more... values not the meaningful connections you make with customers and staff, or even the hard effort you put into sales, but rather how big you smile when you see them walk in the door and stroke their ego until their heads explode.

It is very simple to say "please", "thank you" "good job" or even "I understand you". But it is so hard to get a human response from the ones who depend on you so much to show up and do your job.

But I very much enjoyed the camaraderie between my team members.
Pros
Team members are usually great
Cons
Pay wage too low with little follow through if any for raises
productive
Head Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2017
Definitely an experience I'll never forget. working among positive people who were team oriented with the similar goals. Being efficient and as helpful as people.
Pros
great food
Cons
healthcare
Unoragznised, stressful work place
Waitress (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2017
A typical say at work involved prepping each wait station, interacting with customers, cleaning and closing down sections of the restaurant. I learned to wait tables and use their software. The management was very unoraganized and managers often showed favoritism to certain workers. The staff did not get a long for the most part and bickered often. The culture of the workplace was customer heavy with little to no regard for how the staff felt at work. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers during rushing while short staffed and having no support from managers. the most enjoyable part of the job was making food in the kitchen.
Cons
Must pay for food, poor wages
Fun work enviroment to be part of
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 16, 2017
This was my first taste of working in Philly. Great management team in all departments. It is a great way to handle pressure with giving exceptional service all in the view of guest.
Pros
free meal, very understanding manangers
seving
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMarch 2, 2017
This wAS my first serving experience but this place has taught me everything that I k own today about service good service caring loving staff and custermers
Awesome
Purchasing Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2017
Great experience working in a small company with large potential. Focus on handmade bread and pastries. Founder deeply involved and focused on quality, organics, all natural and vegan.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Growth
Productive and fun place
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2017
Loved working here, love making new connections. I'm a peoples person and everyday I would meet new people and put smiles on their faces and they would leave me good tips. Loved the food it's so amazing and the management is awesome! Loved my co-workers aswell
Pros
Get 50% off food
Cons
Break was 30 minutes
Great an calm work place
Porter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2017
Great cooks and serves .. great managers
Work is easy an simple depending on the shift or your job title .. well mannered co workers
friendly environment with overpriced food
Server (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 27, 2017
I think working at le pain helped me strengthen my talents talking with many different people. all of which I would mostly have nothing in common with but still get along great.
management was weak, there was no room for growth and the compensation was silly for a working student. I could not agree with these.
hardest part of the job was getting those who aren't doing their part of the job to work with you.
Pros
1 comp'd meal per shift
Cons
no breaks, no time to gather your marbles.
okay
Retailer and Barista (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2016
steady income, bad management, no benefits, great tips. you can gain a lot of experience from LPQ. From serving to being a barista, to management experience.
Pros
great tips
Cons
no healt care
Employee discounts on food and pleasurable staff to work with
Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2016
Typical fast paced restaurant. Main rushes were in the morning. Co-workers are fun and wonderful , and a caring management team. Hardest part of the job may be constantly learning new menus and specific ingredients to be mindful of customer allergies. While the most exciting part may be getting to know new people every day as it is a very touristy area.
A place from Belgium
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 20, 2016
This store was very new and I began with the company. I would make batches of teas and lemonades, put out pastries daily, work alone when coworkers would no call and no show. While everyone received their checks, I didn't receive mine for the month I worked there and the manager at the time didn't give a ****. She literally told another manager while in earshot that she did not care if she was fired, she was doing this as a favor for a friend. That's when I got lucky after applying to a restaurant up the street.
Pros
free pastries, bread, drinks
Cons
bad management, lack of communication, let down
Fun work place
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Manhattan Beach, CANovember 9, 2016
My time in le pain quotidein was awesome I enjoyed every moment. As being my first restaurant job it taught me a lot of fundementals. The menu is easy to learn the team was great I couldn't ask for anything better.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Le Pain Quotidien. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval