Le Pain Quotidien Employee Reviews in United States

Work/Life balance not applicable here/ low hourly wage for employees
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2015
Great culture and mission statement, they care about their customers very much always offering deals and recovery that leads to great customer satisfaction. Pride in organic and gluten free options and healthy living. Work life balance however was not effective, working close to 70 hours a week, and benefits did not fit what was stated. Employee training and execution programs were not as strongly implemented as should be when working with a staff of 30 and employees not getting paid the hourly wage causing many to leave and team member morale to be low.
Pros
Free Meals/ trip to organic valley
Cons
Health care, training, work life balance and comensation for long hours worked.
Very structured fast paced workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2016
A typical day at Le Pain Quotidien Greeting and serving guest, Maintaining restaurant appearance meeting daily sales goals. I have learned a lot of skills at Le Pain, Team leading, organizing, Punctuality, skills training . The management at LPQ works with the employees daily on job performance development, career guides and daily tasks. LPQ workers are fun, outgoing, and hardworking. The hardest part at working at LPQ would be multitasking, but meeting new people everyday is one of the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Flexibility, free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Great Job/bad management
cook (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NYNovember 21, 2015
I worked at the one in Woodbury Commons. New store, perverted manager's. Promised $14. a hour, that never happened!!! Learned new things, shift was great but didn't get paid on the second week of working!!! Very bad management!!!
Pros
Got hired on the spot, learned new culture of food, drinks and pastries
Cons
Perverted manager's, no pay for a week, lied about pay, cheated employees on hours
great customers
Cashier/Host (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 8, 2016
typical day at work is a rush with no help and low on employees.
i learned the value of customers love of coffee
management is okay, not very happy and not much appreciations.
hardest part of the job was the low amount of help and cleanness.
the most enjoyable part of the job is the regular customers and the employees.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
no rewards
If you want to develop your cooking career, work here.
Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2016
I really like the company. My growth was really with understanding and presentation of food. My problem was that I managers promising things me things and never fulfilling.
Pros
Challenge, Growth as a being.
Cons
Food wasn't free, Management lies
great company concept, poor structure
Server and Host (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2016
Company has a great brand concept, they also have a great idea on how service should be run "ideally". company likes to hire people with no experience and put them in positions that sets up them up for failure. food is delicious, was mislead about pay when hired. no communication and very disorganized. company should keep themselves as a coffee shop, they are better at coffee then they are at service.
Pros
food is good
Cons
lack of restaurant knowledge
love it
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2015
One of the best companies I ever worked for
The culture there is amazing
Not busy all the time

You basically come in and prep jump on line/dishes when needed.

Food excellent duh I cook
Fav is quinoa cake... and eggs
I work at the U.N location
Pros
great menu great food love management
Cons
short breaks, sometimes slow
Great opportunites for improvement in most areas
GM (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2015
Upper management not involved in important decision-making. Regional level decision-making is erratic and inconsistent at best. There is no end to the amount of poor decisions that were made in regards to the development of the region. Expectations of store level management are to hire only people who "fit the brand". To be nice about all of the inconsistencies: this place needs help! The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my staff and teaching and developing them to be the best that they can be in whatever role they are performing even if that led them away from Le Pain Quotidien.
Pros
Free lunches for managers
Cons
List is too long
An organic restaurant that is vegetarian and vegan friendly.
Dishwasher/Porter (Current Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAJune 10, 2016
It is fast-paced and my job was to be able to multi-task in washing dishes and finding the appropriate time to take care of other tasks such as: taking out the trash, checking the restrooms, and refilling merchandises needed in both the kitchen and for the restroom.
I have learn how to not just load dishes in the dishwasher, but most importantly sanitary and safety practices in dish washing and cleaning.
I hate the schedule to be honest. The only shifts that a dishwasher has is to open or close, so I wish to be able to have a mid-shifts somedays, but that does not exist for the dishwasher job.
It is nearly impossible to do all things at once when it gets super busy. Dishes kept on piling up so much that I would not get the chance to pause for five minutes to check the restrooms. Two reasons, there is a long line for the restroom which means I am unable go in right away to put in any toilet paper or soap, etc. A second reason is because I do my best to not let the dishes pile up so bad that they might fall. Working in a restaurant is s overwhelming.
Anyone agrees to when I say the most enjoyable part of the job is when it is not so busy.
Pros
fifty percent discount on food, free teas, cappuccinos, and lattes.
Prep/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2015
A typical day is working in the kitchen, cutting vegetable and fruits, preparing salads and sandwiches. Keeping a clean and sanitized work space.
I have learned to close a kitchen by making sure that every machine and areas are clean. I was also trained to do inventory, counting each items in cold room and kitchen area.
Working along with the management was great even when the food rush comes in, it get a bit stressful we somehow get through with the job.
Working with my coworkers is usually fun because when working in the back of house our team is usually very humorous so our job get done in a happy environment.
The hardest part of the job is just the standing on my feet all day.
The most enjoyable part is working with the team creating meals
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
no overtime
busy, and keeps you alert
server/barista (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 19, 2015
management ran a tight shift,gave me more knowledge towards how to deal with difficult customers. taught me how properly multitask, build up my memorization skills. taught me how to stay organized during hectic rushes.showed me that team work is key for any work environment.
Pros
help me advance my customer serves
Cons
short hours
Productive and always busy
Server (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 18, 2015
It was an awesome environment to work in, the employees I had worked with were great. I enjoyed working at the location, but management was the biggest problem for the company, and I decided I had to leave.
Pros
Great workers, great free food
Cons
Management, and didn't get breaks in order to eat. You had to sneak a snack in when you had the chanced.
Not a fun place to work for
General manager (Former Employee) –  Dupont Circle, DCDecember 2, 2015
Most of upper management has no experience no breaks or paid time off are eligible for unsalaried employees .
Stay away from here as all LPQ is a not a well environment
Cons
No breaks allowed
a fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 21, 2016
I mostly worked in the day shift during the busy time. our kitchen was small compared to the dining space. so customer had to wait for couple extra time. they always complained but I always kept them up by talking and trying to offer them something else which will keep them busy without feeling them up.
Good place for growth...to a point
CATERING MANAGER/ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2016
Good place for growth but don't expect them to train properly. Coworkers are extremely friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
Free lunch for managers, good benefits
Cons
Poor management and poor training
Horrible training and bad management
Waitress (Former Employee) –  484 Amsterdam AveJanuary 17, 2015
This is a company that preys on those that never graduated college or even highschool. Promises quick advancement to management positions, but does not compensate well enough for it. Salaried managers are made to work 60 hours a week for 500 dollars or less a week. Management was so focused on making a quick buck, that no time, care or attention was given to staff or customers. They are a no benefits, money hungry company, that will any and all employees away without a second thought, if they are not as greedy as the company.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
The founder has an amazing concept.
baker/pastry cheff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2015
We get to make sure people who eat our food feel good afterwards. The ingredients we use are mostly organic, the food is very well prepared, our equipment is top-of-the-line and fun to use. The hardest part is working with an untrained, skeleton crew and no management.
Pros
French-inspered menu
Cons
No support, mismanagement, employees' needs aren't met
productive, fast paced and highly positive
Server/Retailer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2016
It has been an amazing experience working at LPQ. Great management, hard coworkers, every one is so helpful and humble.
Pros
half off for lunch
good company
Server (Former Employee) –  downtownMay 12, 2015
Learned about food from different countries and how it's applied to the American Culture. Typical day required preparations before opening and making sure everything was in order to have a successful day. The hardest part of the job were the days that customers were few. Being a server, you only earn money when there are customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the management. They were very understanding and willing to help in many situations.
Fun, fast paced environment
Head Retailer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2016
Love working here because of how fast paced it can get multiple times during the day. Managers and coworkers are friendly and understanding.
Cons
30 minutes or less breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Le Pain Quotidien. Our community is ready to answer.