Leander Independent School District

Leander Independent School District Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work environment
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Leander, TXJanuary 11, 2017
I love all staff, admin and students at Leander ISD. I have learned to be patient with coworkers and children. The management is very nice and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is the long hours on your feet and dealing with children all day. The most enjoyable part of the day is to see kids smiles, tech them new things and daily challenges.
Pros
fun job
Cons
short break
High Achieving, Rigorous School For Students and Teachers
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 24, 2016
The faculty and students in this school are top-notch. Students are really challenged and pushed to achieve. There isn't much time for fun to balance out the work expectations. For teachers, there is poor work/life balance as you are almost quietly expected to take all of your grading home. They don't respect your time enough and fill it with redundant SPED paperwork and meetings. The pay is low.
Camp Counselor at LISD
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJune 2, 2016
The management was great, and allowed for growth and creativity. There was a lot of room to shape your lesson plan into your own. There is a lot of responsibility given right away in managing various groups of children while being their instructor. Skills were learned prior to work, in a class taken at the high school, and the manager was always willing to help.
Pros
Free lunches, working with children, having a say in the plan for the day
Cons
On your feet every minute
Productive and Fun Place With Ping Pong Table
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXDecember 8, 2016
If you hate physical exercise and can't stand moving your body for more than 5 minutes a day and love telling children what to do on a government sanctioned level then this is the job for you.
Pros
Complete lack of physical exercise and easy access to vending machines
Cons
No air conditioned buses. Coworkers can have extraordinarily banal conversations.
One of the best places I have worked, good people and laughs
Biology Instructor & Head Swim Coach (Current Employee) –  Leander, TXApril 4, 2016
Leander Rouse High School is one of the best education facilities and teams I have had the pleasure to work for. An average for a teacher/coach starts in the early hours of the morning and continues through the late hours of night. Being a teacher requires you to be an educator, a friend, a parent, a disciplinarian, a mentor, a lunch person, shoulder to cry, and a child's advocate. There are many hats and emotions worn on a daily basis that can leave a person revived or drained all in a short period of time. Leander is a district that strives to achieve strong communication and a community environment in both education and local community involvement. The administrators provide support and always have an open door policy. The hours are long and the pay is low, but the positive impact a teacher leaves with a student is the most enjoyable and rewarding part of this career.
Pros
Ability to have a positive impact on students
Cons
Short Breaks, if any, long work hours 24/7
Very fun and loving children, teachers and office staff.
Full Time Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXAugust 29, 2016
I love the ladies in the office. Every time I went to sign in for the day, I was greeted by the office staff in a very warm and welcoming way. They are sweet and very easy to get along with. The children are so awesome and never gave me any trouble and made my moving away more difficult then expected.
Pros
Everything about the job was amazing
Cons
Going to new schools when you don't know where to go or how to get there.
I would recommend LISD. I have never seen so many great educators within a district
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXAugust 11, 2016
Wonderful place to work. Great relationships formed throughout my time there. A typical morning was organized, friendly environment, and great parents.
Pros
Great friendly environment.
Cons
More friendliness at central administration
Good work environment.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Leander, TXJune 6, 2016
Good work environment. Employees support each other. Employees work hard at school to provide the best service to the children.
I work with a great family at LMS
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leander Middle SchoolAugust 2, 2013
I've acquired new skills working at Leander Middle School. I enjoy working with the staff that I do because they are like my other family. My co-workers and I have a great relationship and work really well together. We hold each other accountable and help out when it's needed. I enjoy going to work each day to work with the special education program that I am a part of. It can be extremely rewarding. The most difficult part of my job is when we have to contain a student as a last result.
Our Principals at our school are outstanding and very approachable and willing to help me with anything and answer my questions. Being a new employee, this makes it more comfortable to be at work. My principal is always discussing advancement, knowing that I am pursuing a teaching job.
Pros
Great team
Cons
benefits are mediocre
Not the job for me
Grounds Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Leander, TXJanuary 11, 2016
I do not like the culture within this organization. No opportunity to advance and supervision that does not communicate.
a real eye opener
Cedar Park Middle School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXOctober 15, 2015
Very interesting job position. Supervisor and co-workers were very supportive, dedicated and hard working. Working with students/parents, local law enforcement and general public was the best part about this job. Really enjoyed meeting parents and local residents. The hardest part about this job was being exposed to all types of weather and seeing first hand how rude people can really be.
Pros
very social atmosphere, work with the community
Cons
low pay, no benefits
Assisted students in transitionaing into a general classroom setting
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leander, TXNovember 19, 2015
I enjoyed helping students transition from a SPED classroom to the General Education Environment. I found LISD a difficult place to move from assistant to teacher after my many years of experience in the classroom setting.
Pros
Students and teacher are receptive to change
Cons
promotions are difficult to come by
I've had a tremendous variety of occupations with incredible learning experiences.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Leander, TXDecember 2, 2015
I enjoy new experiences and have had many diverse opportunities to enhance my knowledge of multiple different aspects with plenty of help from amazing employers, coworkers and even customers.
It would be difficult to describe every lesson in such a short paragraph, but please feel free to contact with any questions.
Productive environment with a good support system
Life Skills Teacher (Former Employee) –  Leander, TXMarch 5, 2013
A typical day at work included collaborated with special education and general education department to develop individualized education plans and plan for student transition. Also, coordinating and facilitating special education meetings for students.
As well as managing and scheduling instructional assistants. And at certain times of the day, teaching students. What I have learned over the years is that you should never comment on someone's profession unless you have been in it. Teachers do get quite a bit of time off, but it is well deserved for the work. Management was overall supportive as well as the co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the amount of paperwork involved. The most enjoyable part was the amount of time that you were off.
Pros
time off
Cons
the workload leads most people to eventually burn out
Secondary Principal at 2 campuses (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXSeptember 10, 2015
As principal of a title 1 middle school, I was tasked to support the needs of our staff and students to meet the academic, emotional and sometimes physical needs of a large population of at risk students. Our team was dedicated to overcoming the issues that come with high mobility, high absenteeism and poverty to ensure the best education possible for all students. The staff did that every day, achiveing the honor of being selected as a National School to Watch in 2012, one of only 100 middle schools in the nation to achieve this accolade.
Pros
Best staff in the world
No Teaching Opportunities for Substitutes
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Leander, TexasJanuary 14, 2013
I followed lesson plans that were left by the teacher.

I have learned a great deal about classroom management.

The hardest part of this job is knowing that I have to leave at the end of the day.

The students are the most enjoyable part of this job.

The fact that this district is so hard to get hired by makes subbing for them not so enjoyable.
Pros
great students
Cons
no teaching opportunities for substitutes
Management was great
Assistant to Sped Coordinator for Transition (Former Employee) –  Leander, TXDecember 3, 2015
The Transition Coordinator did an excellent job of training myself and other staff, was very supportive and educated.
Wonderful Vocational Service provided for young adults with disabilities.
Vocational Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Leander, TXJuly 28, 2015
It was a great learning experience.

-contracting with local businesses,
- teaching students the employment skills on site at different businesses.
-teaching young adults employment skills how to present themselves as employable members of the community.
-academic support
-paid employment support services. job coach
Enjoyed teaching and nursing in the school
Substitute Clinic Assistant & Teacher (Former Employee) –  Leander, TXSeptember 4, 2012
I was a substitute teacher and a clinic assistant. After subbing in the clinics, I was hired as the clinic assistant and that was the most challenging nursing expereince I ever had. The daily tasks of caring for 900 plus students and staff was at times overwhelming. The emergenices such as seizures, allergic reactions, asthmatics, diabetics, mental disabilities, sport injuries, choke victims and accidents was quite a learning experience.
I also had to data enter daily clinic passes, maintain inventory, comunicate with parents and staff. I also did hearing and vision screenings. I also attended staff meetings with head nurse.
I promised to return to school for license, but never found the time or enough money to do so.
Practical Care was probably the best agency for continuing education and working with you about schedules.
Pros
exposure to a variety of medical conditions
Cons
the risks involved with student health
Great place to work, amazing culture.
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Leander, TXJanuary 28, 2014
Leander ISD is a fantastic place to work with its continuous improvement culture and commitment to student learning.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leander Independent School District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3