Lee Enterprises

Lee Enterprises Employer Reviews

A great company to work for in every way, with a great amount of support from management.
Multi-Media Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILJuly 27, 2014
Pros: great job
Lee Enterprises was a great company to work for in many ways. Lee was very supportive in keeping it's employees educated and trained in today's fast paced and ever changing world. I very much enjoyed working with and for management in all aspects. I learned a large amount of the technology aspect of sales and marketing and how it's creating new and – more... innovated ways to advertise everyday. My co-workers were like a big family and were always there to happily lend a hand if needed.
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting with my clients daily and the wonderful productive relationships we developed through time. It was very fulfilling helping them build solid and effective ad campaigns to get and exceed their highest expectations. – less
offul job all around
Independent Contractor (Former Employee), Munster, INJune 15, 2014
Pros: only work a few hours a day
Cons: work every day of the year rain or shine, the contract leashes you into slave labor.
the contract you sign is so full of holes that let them manipulate you it is crazy. if something happens to you while you are out working you may be covered for the day it happens but you are required to be back the next day no matter how bad you are hurt.
Lee Enterprises Review
District Sales Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, NEMay 16, 2014
Pros: work\life\family
Cons: unstable company
Lee Enterprises was an ok company to work for. Would I ever work for them again? Probably not. They didnt offer alot of hope for the future. They were a good employer and i had a good job but the future of the company was very unstable and management needed an overhaul badly. However, on the plus side of things, I did have a good balance between work\life\family – more... and they were leanient for me to continue my education and complete my degree. I felt secure in my job but the company had come very close to going under many times during my stay there. Overall this was just a job and nothing more. – less
Very fast paced environment
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Bloomington, ILApril 2, 2014
Pros: good wages & scheduled time off opportunities
Cons: 400 miles a week drive
Challenging, need to be able to come up with quick design ideas
Road to nowhere
Circulation (Former Employee), Lee EnterprisesMarch 17, 2014
Pros: set work hours, benefits, comissions
Cons: unrealistic and unreasonable expectations, low pay, no appreciation
Expect completely unrealistic expectations, mindless repetition in daily duties, no reasonable expectation of privacy when discussing matters with HR and supervisors, pay freezes, constantly changing schedules and processes, constant fear of termination. Employees are burdened with the workload of 2 or 3 people and are continually expected to meet completely – more... unrealistic sales and retention goals. They cannot afford to fully staff the company so the existing workers are asked to take on the excess without any type of compensation. Lay offs are common and swift. If you go to a supervisor or HR with any questions or concerns, everyone in the company knows about it within an hour. Pay is under a livable wage and there is a pay freeze so there is no chance of making more, even when advancing to a higher position within the company. There is absolutely no variation in daily tasks. – less
Great place to work for.
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), Tukwila, WAFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: training oppertunities
Cons: extreme deadlines
Work culture was excellent, great training, amazing co-workers, never like to sell marketing ideas as much as I did for Lee Enterprise.
Demanding, but fairly easy at the same time.
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee), Fenton, MOJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: relatively easy, no stress.
Cons: no benefits and no days off.
A typical day at work was going to the depot to pick up my papers, editing my route book when necessary, driving through my route, ensuring that each customer gets the paper they ordered. I learned to multitask much more efficiently. The management was pretty laid back as ling as I did well. We were independent contractors, so it isn't a normal management – more... situation. I didn't have co-workers, but the warehouse staff was amazing, I rarely had a problem with my papers. The hardest part of the job was delivering in inclement weather and 365 days/yr. The best part was driving around late at night, no traffic, plenty of wildlife, gazing at the stars from time to time, listening to music, pretty relaxing with all things considered. – less
Don't work here!
Sales (Current Employee), Carlisle, PANovember 19, 2013
Pros: decent pay and benefits
Cons: horrible work environment
It may seem like a great offer but they don't keep their word. The most talented people either quit or get fired for stupid reasons.

The Ad Director needs to go...mean and nasty attitude and even after calling HR no one does anything. This paper had a chance with an amazing Editor then a circulation fiasco ruined everything they gained!

Look else – more... where for a sales job. Bad work environment! – less
Friendly professional atmosphere
Accounts Payable and Payroll Processor (Current Employee), Davenport, IAAugust 28, 2013
Daily deadlines for processing of various projects and managing of documents for locations and reference. Data entry of payment processing information into system for business related payments. Friendly atmosphere with co -workers and family friendly.
Sales Job
Advertising Account Executive (Current Employee), Napa CaliforniaJuly 1, 2013
Pros: seeing a business being successful because of my ideas...
Cons: long days!
Work close with local business owners to create their advertising campaigns from Print to Digital platforms.
Horrible employer
Editor (Current Employee), Lee Central Coast NewspapersMarch 28, 2013
Pros: you can play facebook games on your phone during work hours.
Cons: your boss plays facebook games during work hours.
This is a company that is systematically killing every paper it has. They have either let their editors go or ran them out. When someone quits they pile even more work on those left. When someone who pretty much handles all the grunt work quits they will try to replace them, but the strain of trying to come into a position that is almost impossible – more... to work makes new hires leave in the first 30 days. Then they decide that position isn't needed and pile it on the rest.

Lay offs happen out of the blue and the computers you work on were an antique 10 years ago! Run from this company as fast as you can. – less
Lee Enterprises
Motor Route Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee), Decatur, ILMarch 13, 2013
Rise extremely early (midnight) every day. Learned to be available to work every day. Management was good and I liked my co-workers. Hardest part of the job was dealing with weather changes and keeping my personal vehicle in tip-top shape.
No longterm plan
Current employee (Current Employee), St. LouisFebruary 10, 2013
Pros: nice people
Cons: no future
This used to be a great place to work. The newsroom was filled with energy, interesting people and ideas. In the past five years the parent company has run it into the ground. The newsroom is nearly empty. No more copy desk. The last graphics artist just resigned. Features is almost non-existant. Bureaus are empty. Managing editors walk around with – more... blinders on, while one reporter after another resigns. Leaves journalism. Because they want to stay in St.Louis but no one honestly believes the Post-Dispatch will be around much longer. It's a heartbreaking place to be. The top brass does nothing to inspire. – less
Not a System Administrator Job
System Administorator (Former Employee), LaCrosse TribuneJanuary 6, 2013
Pros: great people outside of the it section
Cons: supervisor has no people skills
This is not a system Admin job it is a run from desk to desk and manually updates software. Or remote in to systems that run XP, to do software updates. With this Job you don’t do any work with the services so I don’t know why they are include in the JD. Automation is stuck in a time warp because the section supervisor does not trust the cloud, WIFI, – more... or any advancement that are actual advancements into the next century.
Everything is a secret so if you like that environment this is the place for you. – less
Zero leadership, ethics non-existent
Couldn't Wait To Escape (Former Employee), Crooked EverywhereDecember 28, 2012
Pros: difficult to think of one
Cons: pitiful compensation, lack of management ethics, dishonesty throughout
"Management" - what there is of it - rewards itself at every opportunity. Staff? Forget it. Company is stuck in 1970 - paper timesheets, zero grasp of industry technology. Plagiarism and a host of questionable behavior tolerated with a wink wink by lazy managers. Every employee there spends a significant part of their day job-hunting.

January 6, 2013

This is not a system Admin job it is a run from desk to desk and manually updates software. Automation is stuck in a time warp because the section supervisor does not trust the cloud, WIFI, or any advancement that are actual advancements into the next century. Trust me you will never see the file server room except to change the backup tapes if they run! Everything is a secret, so if you like that environment this is the place for you.

It's a place to work, but that's about it.
Manager (Former Employee), ConfidentialDecember 21, 2012
Pros: most people are nice.
Cons: lack of real leadership, low wages, customers are just numbers, employees are just cogs
I was a manager for a few years only remaining that long because our area has fairly high unemployment.

The people are friendly, but everyone is overworked to the point that customer service and morale are both suffering. Since so many cuts have been made, there's no room for growth and no time to think ahead and innovate.

Daily mantra from leadership – more... is "We've been doing this for 100 years so we're not going anywhere." They blame "the economy" for their failings, and reward themselves greatly for going bankrupt, giving the company away, and extending debt, while front-line staff fight for peanuts.

There is an open-door policy, but the management has no sense of confidentiality and no tact. If a manager doesn't like you, it is made pretty clear to everyone. I've watched managers chew people out in the middle of the sales floor while everyone just stood there in awe.

You don't want to work here. – less
Was a great place to work until lay offs started
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Escondido, CANovember 28, 2012
Pros: good break room great staff
Cons: hours were not steady
I loved working there now its gone. It truly was a great place.
Typical Day
Digital Media Information Specialist (Current Employee), Davenport, IANovember 24, 2012
Work starts at 8am.
I check my email or depending on when my first info gather is, I gather information about that business.
Send out reminder emails about things that we need from businesses (pictures, company description, etc;).
I push out offers/specials/promotions for businesses.
Lunch at noon.
Do the same things listed above.
Work is over at 5pm.