Lee Enterprises Employee Reviews

Nothing to be excited about
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Munster, INFebruary 7, 2018
This job will suck the life out of you. Not a positive environment at all. Hours suck and the pay is worse. Physically demanding. Will add 10+ years to your life quickly.
Pros
Tips, Christmas tips
Cons
Hours suck, Pay sucks
Working with digital in the most advanced ways today
Regional Business Manager (Current Employee) –  IowaFebruary 5, 2018
My job was working for corporate, I had several properties that I worked with the group publisher.Main job was to put together strategic plans to help drive revenue in the digital space. Train and help account executives. Lead teams on daily basis.
Pros
Selling advertising is a fun experience when you are a true consultant
Cons
Hours away from home
Busy call center with a caring atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Munster, INFebruary 4, 2018
I answer the phone for customers for forty nine newspapers covering the United States from the east coast to the west coast. Management keeps us informed about any information we need about our job and
serving the customers. The call volume can be high and it is challenging at times to work through breaks to serve the customer. Twice a year we received additional training to elevate our customer service. Everyone helps each other provide the best possible service to customers.
Stressful Work place
Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Munster, INJanuary 31, 2018
Assisting customers from 22 states 47 different publications. Very high call volume and stressful job. Hardest part was not having all the tools needed to do my job. Not enough communication nor would they take any advise from the employees or supervisors on the floor handling the calls.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
Very High Stress place
A typical morning...
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJanuary 23, 2018
You arrive at the distrabution Center and pick up your papers. Then you drive around town delivering the papers house to house. On Wednesdays you also start delivering the weeked ads.
Great company concept but sales were few and slow.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lee, NYDecember 26, 2017
Great start up company
IT and Video production sales.
Excellent leadership
great team member.
Generating sales
Solving issues that resulted in happy clients.
Pros
Happy clients
Cons
low sales numbers
I love the job until it was sold
Manager, head mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sanford, NCDecember 1, 2017
I work Kendale Lanes from 1981 until it was sold in 2014. It was a very fun place to work until the new owner took over that's when he started changing everything and not really knowing how to operate a business of this type
Labor board should investigate
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Munster, INNovember 16, 2017
Very poor company to work for. A lot of labor laws are being broken by corporate.Incentives representatives worked for were taken away without notice by management.
Cons
Poor place to work
horrible - only apply if you are hungry
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INOctober 25, 2017
Irate customers easier to deal with than supervisors that has zero team-building and leadership skills

high turnover

still get points against you with doctor's notice

most people are either stressed or don't care
Pros
no pros
Cons
cancelled lunches and breaks, no raises, very poor leadership, bad training
Don't like
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INOctober 22, 2017
Needs to get better management. Lack of help, direction, and no one cares to accommodate foe child care. Should really reconsider health benift rates.
Extremely stressful
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Munster, INOctober 11, 2017
Many days you would not get a break nor a lunch because of the call volume. You barely got an opportunity to go to the washroom. CSRs had to prevent 76% of the callers from canceling their subscription even though corporate continued to raise the cost of the subscriptions. Job descriptions changed as the needs arose but the CSRs were not adequately trained to handle the increased responsibilities. Management chose to not value the frontline associates. The attitude was the CSRs were disposable.
Benefits
Cons
Corporate culture
Keep Looking
Worker Bee (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 8, 2017
The newspaper industry is very cut-throat and is declining. Unfortunately, there is not much they can do as the ever changing landscape is defining the business for everyone involved.
Worked from home and it totally fit my needs
Mass Mailer (Former Employee) –  South Holland, ILOctober 5, 2017
This job was great! I had an infant at home and I was able to go pick up my work and complete it at home. I wish this place never closed down because I think I would still be there. As long as I returned the job when it was due, I could work around my schedule at home. The world needs more jobs like this because so many people are unable to work outside the home for whatever reason. Wish I could find another job like this!
Working for Lee
Reporter/Journalist (Current Employee) –  Park Hills, MOSeptember 18, 2017
Maybe it's just the paper i work for, but we don't get raises, we are made to work 50+ hours a week without being paid overtime (we are on an hourly wage), you can't bring issues to the table in confidence without someone telling who complained, we aren't allowed to take a complaint to anyone but our immediate boss, who is the issue, so technically we can't voice our issues, we have to use our own cameras because they issue junk with poor quality photos and if we don't have quality art we get chewed out. over worked and underpaid.
Part time position / supplemental income
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Munster, INSeptember 17, 2017
Customer Service Representative. Inbound calls in the corporate call center servicing customers with newspaper subscriptions for over 50 newspapers throughout the U.S.
Lee was another suffering Newspaper Company
Production and Circulation Director (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NY 12801September 15, 2017
There was room for advancement but as newspapers started their decline in circulation things become very difficult. I had to cut staff and expenses that were not realistic.
Pros
They gave me the opportunities that helped me acheive the Production Managment position.
Cons
Limited resources and high cost benefits.
Culture of Fear
Editor (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CASeptember 11, 2017
Good company if you are fresh out of J-school and willing to work long hours to build your resume. I saw six people fired, point blank, over my six months in the company, something I had never seen in 17 years working for the Department of Defense. Compensation was rock bottom for the industry for editorial, but management seemed to be doing fine.
Pros
Health care offered.
Cons
People genuinely afraid for their jobs every day.
Okay Physical Job to load newspapers
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 10, 2017
I worked there in my late 20s to early 30s and loved it... It was challenging, physical, and I liked my coworkers. Yet when I returned 15 years later I was older, not keen on management, and it had changed not for the better.... An okay job
Pros
Cool people to work with, and nice management
Cons
Low pay, short breaks
Too new to know
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILAugust 11, 2017
Company was recently acquired by Lee; too new to really cast judgement. So far, so good. Only downfall is the amount of outsourcing they do, which is kind of a bummer, but may be necessary in today's economy to survive.
Work Only At crownpoint Office
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP. (CALL CENTER) (Former Employee) –  Munster, INJuly 7, 2017
I would not recommend anyone work at the office in Munster the management is very poor and all they do is gossip and spread employees business. The crown Point office is much more professional and they know how to treat people.