Lee Enterprises Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible corporate culture, disconnected management
Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 18, 2016
I was with this company for several years, first at a newspaper property then at the corporate office. The team of directors and VP's are some of the most deceitful I've ever had the displeasure of working alongside. They care about their salaries and keeping stock holders happy with little to no regard for the employees who are actually doing the tasks that keep the company running. This company will make empty promises of positive changes and the upper management cannot be trusted. I witnessed some extremely unprofessional behavior on the VP and CEO level in my time there and wouldn't recommend this company to anybody.
As the layoffs and cutbacks increased, the work environment grew hostile and unbearable.
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTFebruary 19, 2016
Locate and Allocate Electronic Remittances, Receive and Distribute Bank Note Remittances Submitted via US Postal Service, Receive and Process Credit Card Remittances Submitted via Telephone, Negotiate and Maintain Delinquent Receivable Contracts, Create, Electronically Distribute and File via Windows Timely Excel Spreadsheets, Provide Targets for Region Sales Team and Controllers, Conduct Electronic and Physical Research to Alleviate Discrepancies, Generate Mail Merge Report for Consumer Payment Reminders, Field Customer Service Request and Inquiries
Pros
I enjoyed the daily work assignments.
Cons
The decision not to replace vacating workers created an impossible work load.
Innovative, fun workplace
Human Resources Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 3, 2016
Great benefits. Everyone is friendly here at Lee. Involved in community volunteer work. Room for advancement in most departments.
Friendly workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTFebruary 2, 2016
Very friendly work place , Great co-worker , Customer great to talk to and take care of them on the phone and with there service and complaints
Pros
friendly
Cons
point system
Opportunity for Growth
Customer Care Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJanuary 14, 2016
I have been given the opportunity for growth in Lee Enterprises. Excellent benefits including Insurance and vacation.
fast pace environment
Floor Coach Billings Gazette (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 13, 2016
helping my staff to provide excellent customer service while maintaining a functioning store and providing my employees with a enjoyable work environment
So impersonal
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INJanuary 5, 2016
management doesnt know how to support their employees and does not have any regards for personal issues in employees lives. Everything is done over email and is completely impersonal
Pros
2 weeks paid vacation when you start
Cons
no employee support
Great business to run
Accounting Specialist/Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNDecember 16, 2015
It was a great business to run at the time. Employees were well compensated along with being appreciated. Spent much time with employees with dinners, personal weekends together and family time.
Toxic
Digital Media Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 12, 2015
Digital Media Sales Consultant - Turnover is ridiculous, a person quits or is fired every 10 days (myself being number 15 in 5 months).

You are seen as a number, if you don't make the company money they fire you. If you make the company money and have a rough month, they fire you.

Job security and commission is a joke.

THIS IS A TELEMARKETING JOB.
Pros
Decent amount of paid time off
Cons
You will probably get fired. Horrible management. Underpaid for the amount of stress you endure.
Typical newspaper chain
employee (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 6, 2015
Like most newspaper companies in the U.S., Lee Enterprises has struggled to make a profit and pay off debt that resulted from bad acquisition decisions in the 90s and early 2000s. As a result there are regular waves of layoffs, cutbacks and declines in the quality and quantity of content. Like others, it was slow to embrace the Internet and social media.

Want to know more about Lee Enterprises?

Ask a question
Job ended in a lay off
Page Designer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 26, 2015
Nothing really more to say. Started the job in May 2015 fresh out of college, worked hard for five months, came in one day in October and was told corporate was shutting us down.
Pros
Got paid
Cons
Got laid off
toxic environment
Crew Person (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 13, 2015
I worked at Lee Enterprises West McNichols store. Management was terrible and not strong enough and terrible role models. A typical day was clocking in and asking the manager on shift what role you were playing for the day. You would stay in your place for that time being until told otherwise. co workers were very cool. hardest part of the job was dealing with managements lies and big mouths for no reason. most enjoyable part was nothing but schedule flexibility for school.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
barely get any hours, toxic environment, want you to do so much for so little pay
Good benefits. Poor salary
anonymous (Current Employee) –  anonymousSeptember 24, 2015
Fulfilling work. Important to the community. Good brand and well respected. Stingy with salary. Good benefits. Most departments are understaffed.
Started as a productive fun place to work, went down hill.
Classified Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDSeptember 5, 2015
Set ads for customer walk-in and call-in, set Open Houses for Realtors and auto ads for Auto dealers. Communicated with Realtors and Auto Dealers to ensure ad accuracy. Researched route/delivery issues to help determine the best way to rectify the problem. Input adjustments for customer, carrier, and dealer accounts as needed. Assist single copy customers by verifying, inputting, updating draw and return information.
I carried a lot of work from various departments that I had worked in and was never relieved of these various duties.
There was a lot of variety in what I did each day.
Pros
The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Cons
As new management came in and did not know the various jobs we covered, it was hard getting things done.
Fast paced and friendly environment
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Munster, INAugust 28, 2015
A typical work day is very busy answering calls on missed papers, payments, stops for vacations, starting new accounts, sending emails, and problem solving. I've learned a lot about newspapers that i didn't know like there is more to newspapers than reporters and writers. There are a lot of other people that make up the team for a newspaper to work. Like my position as a customer care representative, advertising side of the business is where a lot of the business comes from and behind the scene where the paper is printed. The management is awesome, they deal with a lot of issues and get the job done by calling customers back and resolving an issue or just answering questions that customer are concerned about. They answer hundreds of emails a day and still manage to answer the representative's questions that need to be answered. My co-workers are hard workers a well and get there jobs done by answering calls all day and problem solving any issues that need to be resolved. Everyone works well together. Without each other we would not be able to get our work done. The hardest part of my job is when i have a really upset customer over a payment issue or delivery issue and I do everything in my power to handle the issue on my own. If i cannot handle the issue after exhausting all my options then this is when email my supervisors or talk to them to see if they have any resolutions that i haven't thought of myself. The most enjoyable part of my day is at the end of a conversation with a customer that they are please with my services to them and that i have made them happy at the end  more... of the call.  less
Pros
meeting to discuss improvements that need to be made
Fun Way to Pay Your Bills While Having A Home Life
Independant Contractor/Redeliveries (Current Employee) –  Daily Home Delivery/Daily Redelivery of MissesAugust 12, 2015
I have lifelong friendships with my customers. I have lifelong friendships with other carriers and people that I see daily at the docks. The company itself is a little withdrawn from personal relationships with its carriers and staff. The company is more about staying afloat and keeping its doors open, not about finding ways to mix business with working friendships and relationships with the community or its employees.
Pros
Love my customers, fellow coworkers & fellow carriers. Love the freedom of having the rest of my day free.
Cons
Company is out to take care of itself at the cost of its employees and the community.
Don't drink the Kool Aid.!
Advertising Sales (Current Employee) –  St. LouisJune 26, 2015
This company is being horribly miss handled by corporate. They continue to lay talented people off, only to hire inexperienced, unsuspecting new personnel to burn and churn. Resulting in the loss of reliability and trust between Lee and their employees and clients. If you have integrity, it will be difficult to work here. Especially knowing how they over promise and under-deliver what is promised to the client. The problem is not sales or the staff attempting to carry out the promises, it's Lee laying people off and new people not knowing where to begin. The new person just won't have a clue what has been promised or if it is being delivered until it's too late. Or they are overworked with the threat of being laid off until the pressure is too much and they quit. Accounts fall through the cracks all the time. I know the sales reps honestly do the best they can considering they are working for a dinosaur that can't get enough to feed its top-heavy debt environment. Middle management is so busy blaming the staff under them for their lack of knowledge that you may get thrown under a bus and never see it coming. So, if you still don't, believe me, drink the cool aid...
Pros
Only Daily Newspaper in St. Louis
Cons
Layoffs are rapid. No respect for customers or employees. Unrealistic Goals
Good working enviorment except management
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  munster,inJune 25, 2015
The coworkers are friendly, but management is sometimes rude and shows favortusm. The job requirements constantly change and make it more difficult to provide good customer service. Terrible communication.
Review of my work at Lee Enterprises
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Munster, INJune 10, 2015
My job consists of handling inbound calls for 25 papers with Lee Enterprises. I handle between 80 to 100 calls a day. The calls consists of starting a subscription, missed papers, vacation holds and billing questions. I have learned to keep to myself and do the best job I can. The hardest part and rewarding part of the job is when we have more than 50 people on hold. I have to work very quickly and efficiently to get the calls down. Because I keep to myself, I really don't know a lot of my co-workers since there are over 50 employees and there is a lot of turnovers in workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is coming in at 5am and leaving at 1:30pm.
Pros
Able to work early
Cons
Having to work weekends.
Great Culture, Work/Life Balance
ADVERTISING ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYMay 26, 2015
I began with the company full-time and was handed about 100 active accounts. You could maintain employment and earn 40k through the accounts handed to you, however I was successful through actively seeking either inactive accounts or new business. This is how you will reach your commission cap and exceed quotas on a monthly basis.

The work environment is extremely laid back and you are only in your office for 2-3 hours a day.
Pros
Flexibility, Culture
Cons
Compensation, Room for Advancement