Legal Aid Society Employee Reviews

Good experience
Volunteer Law Student (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 19, 2016
It was nice having the opportunity to get involved with an organization that helped people who were unable to pay for legal services. It was also nice to work for this organization because at the time I was a student and I was able to receive work study funds for my time spent assisting at the clinic.
Diverse, considerate work environment
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2016
My brief time there was helping for fiscal year-end close ( 6-30 ). Multiple floors on the Water Street building. Financial Edge general ledger accounting software used. Great co-workers. Commute in the morning a little difficult between Lincoln Tunnel & subway all the way downtown to Fulton Street.
Pros
co-workers, environment, leadership & teaching
Cons
commute for 9am arrival
Great experience
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 11, 2016
Rewarding experience assisting children in need of representation and assistance by the county. Passionate and caring team of attorneys and supporting staff.
Easy going yet focused towards client satisfaction
Pro Bono Volunteer (Former Employee) –  199 Water Street, ManhattanJuly 7, 2016
To be clear this was a required pro bono mandate imposed on all lawyers after approximately December 2013. Once there, I was taught what to do and they were receptive to my questions when I encountered a problem. While there, I learned how to assist socio-economically challenged individuals with Unemployment Insurance, Medicare & Medicaid issues, Immigration issues, and employment discrimination issues. Typically a day at work started at 930am and ended at around 1230pm. The most enjoyable part of the job was just being there and helping others. The hardest part of the job was telling clients in need that I couldn't help them with certain issues.
Room to work independently
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2016
I enjoyed my time here. Management simply told me what they wanted of me and let me do my thing. They were not shy to tell me that my work was outstanding or that I worked surprisingly fast.
Pros
Free lunches, family atmosphere
Cons
Internship ended. Not enough money to keep me on.
productive
Criminal Defense Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 22, 2016
excellent work place, great environment . Great staff, lots of information to learn. great legal experience. enjoyed working with others and being able to help people. this job gives great hands on legal experience.
Great workplace
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 4, 2016
Everyone was kind, great coworkers!
I learned a great deal on how to work with children and families.
It was tough not taking my work home but I learned how to manage in not doing so.
Productive work atmosphere providing support to children
Paralegal II (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 25, 2016
The Legal Aid Society works to create a fun work environment that is centered around providing support to its clients. As a paralegal, my responsibility is to review case files, oversee intake process, schedule home visits and conferences, conduct client interviews, and maintain accurate office files. I have learned in this position that I have a passion for working in a legal environment. This position involves working well with others, and relying closely on co-workers to cover intake process, and accompany each other on home visits. I have thoroughly enjoyed working for this non-profit organization, and it has taught me a lot of transferable skills that I can use in my future practices.
Quiet, fast pace work place
Data Entry Clerk/Phone Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2016
Working at The Legal Aid Society was a quiet environment but a fast work pace. Calls were frequently coming in and all questions and answers from the caller must be written in Law Manager Computer Program as caller would speak. The co workers and management were very friendly and helpful. Working here I learned how to use a new program and the rules and laws of housing offices and processes and how they work.
good
intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2016
good place to work, everybody is friendly, and helpful. and at the same you serve a population that needs help, support and people that are willing to help in order to be successful
It is a good place for recognition.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  120-46 Kew GardensMarch 1, 2016
This place will get you in the door in the legal field. It is more of a spring board to corporate if you plan on progressing professionally, however if you enjoy maintaining a low profile and servicing the community, this is the place to be. I am very grateful for my experience here. I am blessed and excited that I have gotten to grow professionally here. Thank God for this place.
Pros
Decent pay but great benefits
Cons
The hours are too static.
This was my first Paralegal job, and all the attorneys at the time were also coming into their profession as attorneys.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 9, 2015
I was very fortunate to work with two amazing attorneys, who one was transitioning into law, and the other just obtained his law degree from London.

We worked collectively, and our goal was always about time management. As a paralegal I had to ensure we took care of our caseloads according to Court dates, hearings, and documentations. We were sensitive about the families who were seeking stability within the HRA programs.
Pros
The ability to obtain legal presentation for those who could not speak English.
Cons
Not enough paralegals, due to budget restrains.
Great Place
Staff Attorney (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 7, 2015
The Legal Aid Society is a progressive organization that is wonderful for new lawyers. The training is top notch, and the experience you gain is invaluable.
Pros
Union Shop
Cons
Union Shop
Excellent work environment
Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. The environment allowed you to improve your skills and work with colleagues on very sensitive issues.
Heavy Workload but ALL Worth It!
Forensic Social Work Intern & Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 16, 2015
Fantastic experience working with dedicated professionals. As an intern, I was treated professionally and my work was always appreciated and well respected.
Rewarding experience to serve the community in poverty
Intake/Attorney Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 20, 2015
Simultaneously assistant the Intake Department Attorney and Volunteer Coordinator, while attending to inbound call of potential clients, and other office tasks required within the Intake Department. Fun work place, employees are nice, many office activities throughout the year. Unfortunately, salary is very low - most hourly employees struggle financially, myself included. Not much of a challenge at present position, no room to grow. Office conditions and facilities are poor. Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Medical benefits
Cons
Low salary
Very fulfilling work
Extern, Volunteer Lawyer Program (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KyAugust 4, 2015
I was given many opportunities to help people without resources find legal solutions to the problems in their lives. It was also a wonderful learning experience in drafting legal documents and civil procedure.
Never a Dull Moment
ADMINISTRATOR I (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 4, 2015
Plenty of opportunity to help people. Management is always willing to help you get the job done. Non-for-profit Law Firm. So its never about the money. Its always about the client.
Pros
It is a noble job.
Cons
Not enough time in the day to help everyone.
I was tasked to accompany investigators and assist them in their investigations
Intern Investigator (Former Employee) –  260 E 161May 21, 2015
it was a great experience riding along with investigators to retrieve video surveillance and interview potential witnesses. all my coworkers were nice and easy to talk to.
Worked with teenagers who have criminal charges.
Investigator/ Intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 11, 2015
Great environment, excellent people. Its a fast environment. I have learnt to be patient, non judgmental and be tolerant toward many issues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Aid Society. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5