Legal Aid Society Employee Reviews

Great Learning Experience!!
Volunteer/Internship Highlights (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 28, 2017
I learned so much about tax law while I was an intern there. Had they had a job opening, I definitely would have applied!! My supervisor was awesome, and even with her busy schedule she made time to teach me!
Pros
Great people
Cons
No openings at the end of my internship
Relaxed atmosphere.
Microfiche Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 6, 2017
This job had a very relaxed atmosphere. The supervisor just expected you to do your job. It is possible I might have stayed with the company, but my career in law enforcement was awaiting.
Sorry I had to leave "911"
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2017
I think I might still be employed with them, had it not been for "911" I moved to South Jersey in 2000, and the towers came down in 2001. Thank you very much.
Workplace Culture
STAFF ATTORNEY (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 9, 2017
The Legal Aid Society of Cincinnati has a long and proud history of providing legal aid services for low income people. Their work is stellar, and they attract a smart and dedicated workforce.
fun internship
Intern Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 28, 2017
the staff was friendly but the job was a little bit of a mess everyday their was different jobs with really no direction it was a little complicated to at first but easily gets better
A day at Legal Aid Society
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 16, 2017
I do many intakes daily, I have learned to be patient with others, workplace is a nice family environment. Management is great always there when I have a question. The hardest part about my job is dealing with irate callers but I can manage to handle them. I enjoy helping those in need.
Overall great place to work
Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 10, 2017
I get in at 7am I start the scanning of the files from the night before . I finish by 9am. I open the front door I am also the receptionist.I learned a lot of people skills , telephone manners, how to maintain and retrieve files out of our system. I also enter files on a daily bases. Sometimes I have to go to the court room and enter the files from there. I mostly multitask this is the hardest part of my job but I enjoy the most interacting with our clients directing them through the court house. I also handle the carfare. I love my job I love the people I work with we are a dream team. The commute is just becoming hard for me as I work in New York I live in Poughkeepsie Ny.
Pros
Health care, Breaks, Vacation time paid sick
Cons
My commute
good
Paralegal/Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2017
Overall a pretty good place to work in. Good environment and friendly employees who are there because they want to help people. Solid place to work but if career advancement is tricky unless you're an attorney. Not much room for growth.
Relaxed environment
VOLUNTEER PARALEGAL (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHJuly 24, 2017
Nice quiet place to work. Able to work independently without a lot of pressure. Dealt mostly with housing issues and handled some immigration issues as well.
Great People Limited Growth
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2017
Great Benefits, Great People, limited room for growth and advancement unless you play office politics. Hardwork often gets unnoticed by management and salary increases are scarce.
Pros
Benefits, People
Cons
Management, Lack of Growth, Lack of wage increase, Office Drama
Team work and support
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 1, 2017
Learned team working skills, time management and effective communication styles. Incorporates team effort and support for staff from corporation. Ability to help vulnerable families.
Legal Aid was very focused on improving the lives of clients
Public Benefits Advocate (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMay 26, 2017
A typical day began with interviewing clients, and/or administrative staff at local agencies empowered to make decisions about the application process.

Extensive work on client files to ensure that all information was current and accurate

The workplace culture was excellent. Wonderful opportunities to learn and achieve success.

The most difficult part of the job was balancing the client needs with what was available in terms of federal and state assistance.
Pros
Meaningful interaction with applicants
Cons
salary
Benefits great, needs work on work culture
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  199 Water Street, 3rd FloorMay 17, 2017
Benefits were great! The job itself was great. However management was a little less than fair, seemed to show favoritism to certain moving parts within the office, though they were professional it seemed clicky. The attorneys were all very nice and were genuinely helpful and appreciative of our work. Work load fluctuated depending on how heavy the flow was. Overall it was not an awful experience but I believe this office in particular could have a better work culture.
Pros
Great benefits, life-work balance, lenient in terms of being able to focus on studies
Cons
unfair treatment of employees
Laid back environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 3, 2017
I helped out the receptionist with filing papers and transferring calls. I enjoyed the atmosphere with the other employees and formed great relationships with them.
Pros
Great management, laid back environment
Cons
I was a volunteer, so I didn't get paid
great place to work
HR and Account manager/ Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 2, 2017
This is a wonderful and rewarding place to work. It is a great group of people and an amazing caring Director! It is a great environment and everyone is very helpful! It is a great group that work as a team.
Great starting place for new graduates to get into a legal environment.
Legal Assistant - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 19, 2017
The Legal Aid Society is a great place for those paralegals and law school grads with no experience to get real time experience in a legal environment. The experience is invaluable with little pressure and but not enough help navigating newcomers through the new legal experience.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Most of the learning will be trial and error.
Good experience
Volunteer Law Student (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 19, 2016
It was nice having the opportunity to get involved with an organization that helped people who were unable to pay for legal services. It was also nice to work for this organization because at the time I was a student and I was able to receive work study funds for my time spent assisting at the clinic.
Diverse, considerate work environment
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2016
My brief time there was helping for fiscal year-end close ( 6-30 ). Multiple floors on the Water Street building. Financial Edge general ledger accounting software used. Great co-workers. Commute in the morning a little difficult between Lincoln Tunnel & subway all the way downtown to Fulton Street.
Pros
co-workers, environment, leadership & teaching
Cons
commute for 9am arrival
Great experience
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 11, 2016
Rewarding experience assisting children in need of representation and assistance by the county. Passionate and caring team of attorneys and supporting staff.
Easy going yet focused towards client satisfaction
Pro Bono Volunteer (Former Employee) –  199 Water Street, ManhattanJuly 7, 2016
To be clear this was a required pro bono mandate imposed on all lawyers after approximately December 2013. Once there, I was taught what to do and they were receptive to my questions when I encountered a problem. While there, I learned how to assist socio-economically challenged individuals with Unemployment Insurance, Medicare & Medicaid issues, Immigration issues, and employment discrimination issues. Typically a day at work started at 930am and ended at around 1230pm. The most enjoyable part of the job was just being there and helping others. The hardest part of the job was telling clients in need that I couldn't help them with certain issues.