Legal Aid Society

Legal Aid Society Employer Reviews

Great benefits and supervision
Forensic Social Worker (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 15, 2014
Great support from supervisors and support from team of social workers and lawyers.
Productive and Business workday
Intern (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 25, 2014
• Interact with clients, attend client/attorney meetings, sit in on hearings, trials and administrative proceedings.
• File, organize, and alphabetize lawyer documents.
• Assist staff in housing, consumer and family law court-based projects; including legal research, drafting legal documents and memoranda, and factual investigation.
Amazing!!!!
Staff Attorney (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 5, 2014
Best work environment I could imagine. Motivated and inspired peers, great training. Supportive management. I loved every minute of my time at LAS.
a day with attorneys
Paralegal (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 5, 2014
Pros: extended lunches, union
assisting attorney's whatever they need. I've learned how hard the Attorney's work to defend people accused of a crime. The hardest part of this job was getting papers signed by the Judge or cooperation from the clerks office.
poor management
Current employee (Current Employee), New YorkNovember 26, 2013
Pros: good benefits, job security
Cons: poor pay, low moral, poor management, very depressed place, no advancement
Not a very good organization to work for. They provide poor management. They split you in so many different directions, they make it hard for you to do your job. Not to mention moral is so low no one even speaks to each other, and when they do speak, all they do is complain.

The attorneys there are a bunch of hypocrites who portray themselves as holier – more... than thou. In fact they treat their support staff, particularly the people of color in a condescending, paternalistic manner. As if we are too stupid to know what is best for us. They act like they are the saviors of all mankind when in reality, they are drowning in their own arrogance.

My experience with management is so negative just the thought of them gives me a raging migraine. Not to mention we have not had raise in 8 years, while those at the top relish in their high salaries.

If management had their way all of us long term employees would just drop dead so they could replace us with newbies who won't be the wiser for at least two years. And then if they are smart they'll jump ship for obvious reasons.

I am tempted to ask to be terminated because if I quit I'll forgo my unemployment benefits. – less
Great Organization
Volunteer Attorney (Current Employee), Louisville, KYNovember 22, 2013
The Legal Aid Society pursue justice for people in poverty. The mission is to provide free legal services to the most disadvantaged in our community. They fight on behalf of their clients when their health, safety, and stability are unjustly threatened.
Great organization to learn criminal defense work and investigations
Criminal Investigative Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 27, 2013
Lawyers would request for an investigation to be done on a specific case. I an my team would receive from 1 to 5 investigations a day. The work load was not stressful because it could be expanded over a certain period of time. My supervisor was a great teacher. The hardest part was getting witness to cooperate but overall the best part was learning – more... techniques to help the investigation go smoothly. – less
Providing a Zealous Legal Defense for Indigent Clients
Legal intern - Criminal Defense Division (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 15, 2013
I loved this job. Though it was only an internship I felt that I learned quite a bit. I was placed under a great attorney who gave me plenty of opportunities to appear on the record at the Brooklyn Criminal Court. A wonderful experience.
Productive and fun work place to be
Legal Administrative Assistant/Clerical Associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great parties for ex: christmas
Working for the Legal Aid Society was the greatest experience that I ever had. I love law and I learnt so much from the company. The office manager was always pleasant. The co-workers were easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was when a co-worker was leaving to move on to bigger and better things in life. The most enjoyable part of the – more... job was going to court to pick up petitions and working with attorneys. – less
Large Legal Services Organization
Assistant Attorney-in-Charge Juvenile (Current Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 12, 2013
Pros: unionize, great benefits
The Legal Aid Society is an incredible organization that provides a full range of legal services to indigent and low-income individuals. Three practice areas in all five boroughs of NYC.

Staff are unionized and generally enjoy great benefits and positive interactions with management. There are many internship and fellowship opportunities available – more... to students looking to serve the public interest. – less
Professional Law Firm with plenty of room for advancement
Social Work Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 12, 2013
Very great environment to work in with great workshops!! Part of multidisciplinary team..
Great place to work!
Paralegal intern at Legal Aid Society. (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 2, 2013
Pros: great benefits. you are provide a day off (paid) every two weeks so you can manage your stress.
Cons: some management issues.
Legal Aid Society is a not profit organization dealing with family Law and helping victims of Domestic Violence. It is a great place to start if you are interested on working with Family Law.

A typical day for a paralegal can vary from the demands of the clients. It might include, but not limited, to speak with potential clients, find elements of Domestic – more... violence to determine if they meet the standards of the Utah Statute, report the incidents to the attorneys, provide feedback to the client in regards with representation, do the pleadings for the clients under the attorney supervision, e-file with the Utah Court System the pleadings. Once the proper documentation has been signed by the judge, assist the client until the moment of the hearing; be present during the hearing and assist the attorney and the clients.

If for any reason one of the clients is denied for representation, the paralegal will assist the client to go Pro Se and will provide the proper legal direction to find a solution to their concerns.

Legal Aid is a very rewarding experience with a lot of ups and downs when you learn to manage the stress and deal with a lot of different clients from many several backgrounds. A great place to start! – less
Great job for intern
paralegal (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJuly 2, 2013
The pay was awful, Management changed and no longer runs as a "non profit" company. Flexibility and work/life balance was great
Paralegal internship greatly contributed to my professional knowledge
Intern for small claims legal aid center (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJune 25, 2013
Legal Aid Society allowed me to gain real-world knowledge of information that was previously unknown to me due to my age, such as information about tenant rights, home ownership, community property, and employment, as well as professional knowledge such as how to work in a real office environment with a variety of coworkers and how to work personally – more... with clients with many different legal questions. – less
Great Job
Paralegal II (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 9, 2012
Pros: free monthly metrocard
Ok compensation for NYC. At the time, they paid for our MetroCard.
Productive and fun place to work
Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 2, 2012
A typical day at work includes assisting paralegal staff on client interviews dealing with youthful offenders, sensitive family information and preventative and therapeutic programs. Assist clients from diverse backgrounds and circumstances. Keep detailed information related to cases or transactions in computer databases. Gather affidavits and other – more... statements that may be used as evidence in court. Conduct research on relevant laws, regulations, and legal articles. The hardest part of the day is when you read some of the cases or listen to some of the clients and see what hardship they are going through. The most enjoyable part of the day is when we were able to help the person that is having a hard time. – less
Great people to work with
Word Processor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 26, 2012
Pros: can attend mock trails when work is slow
Cons: desk area is too small and closed in
enjoyabe staff. Treats you with respect. Always let you know when you have done a good job on a project.
Very helpul to the defendants who were not rich enough to obtain a lawyer
Criminal Defense Team Investigator/Internship (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 28, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Doing my Internship at the Legal Aid Society was a life changing experience for me as I learned what it means to work in a group of investigators in an environment where the top management delegated assignments to the rank and file and gave them complete independence to get the job done. The lead investigators I worked with were very open as they made – more... it very easy to ask as many questions as necessary and was fun working with them. It was always a great challenge to interview witnesses who were unwilling to cooperate with the defense team. Since a lot of people were not willing to talk, it was always a mission accomplished after successfully convincing an important witness to provide you with the information needed. In sum, I learned s great deal of Investigative skills at the Legal Aid Society. – less
Nice Place
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 18, 2012
I love it at Legal Aid. They were like family. I learned so much about the family legal system that working there has influenced me to become a family lawyer myself. The pay wasn't as great but being that this was a nonprofit org, it turned out being okay

About Legal Aid Society

Legal Aid Society of Hawaii operates statewide. Practice areas include housing, public benefits, consumer and family law but not – Read more