Legal Aid Society

Legal Aid Society United States Employee Reviews

Great enviroment
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 14, 2015
This is a great environment to work in. I learned many fundamental skills, that can be applied in my legal career.
Laid Back and Friendly, but very productive
Support Staff Intern (Former Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 14, 2014
Pros: association within the office
Cons: unexpected massive workload
My primary responsibilities were secretarial; database management, filing and organizing cases, and making copies. However, the Support Staff were the nerve center of the organization and this provided me with a great networking opportunity.
Productive and learning experience.
Legal Intern (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYNovember 20, 2014
Pros: opportunity to learn new skills.
Productive experience as a volunteer work. It helped me to see what an attorney deals in a daily basis.
A very Productive place
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), PROctober 24, 2014
Mornings were a rushed ones at the Court. During the afternoon it was more light, not too many people to interview, it was rare to have a trial after 2:00 o' clock. Then, after that, we felt more relaxed but still working on new cases or proceedings for the next day.

However, the lot of work during the mornings was the most enjoyable part of the job, because we were doing what we love to do: help clients, trials, cooperate with justice.

The co-workers were friendly, dedicated and very respectful people.

I learned to deal with different people's behaviors, that even when you have a reason to not to support some ideas, you have more reasons to do the right thing. I learned to work and help attorneys.
Internship
Internship Student (Former Employee), Tustin, CAOctober 6, 2014
this was an internship that got my foot in the door to understand the workings of a law office.
Good work environment
Kenneth G. Standard Diversity Fellow (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYSeptember 10, 2014
The best part of the job was my supervisor, Scott Rosenburg, who seemed to know everything. Additionally, the work atmosphere was great for someone in an entry level position.
My supervisors were passionate
Legal Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 9, 2014
and committed to their work and gave me the guidance to help me grow with respect to my career.
Great Internship
Investigative Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 16, 2014
Learned a lot from working closely with the investigators and attorneys. Interned there for four months and had a chance to live the life of an criminal investigator.
Great benefits and supervision
Forensic Social Worker (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 15, 2014
Great support from supervisors and support from team of social workers and lawyers.
Productive and Business workday
Intern (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 25, 2014
• Interact with clients, attend client/attorney meetings, sit in on hearings, trials and administrative proceedings.
• File, organize, and alphabetize lawyer documents.
• Assist staff in housing, consumer and family law court-based projects; including legal research, drafting legal documents and memoranda, and factual investigation.
Amazing!!!!
Staff Attorney (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 5, 2014
Best work environment I could imagine. Motivated and inspired peers, great training. Supportive management. I loved every minute of my time at LAS.
a day with attorneys
Paralegal (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 5, 2014
Pros: extended lunches, union
assisting attorney's whatever they need. I've learned how hard the Attorney's work to defend people accused of a crime. The hardest part of this job was getting papers signed by the Judge or cooperation from the clerks office.
poor management
Current employee (Current Employee), New YorkNovember 26, 2013
Pros: good benefits, job security
Cons: poor pay, low moral, poor management, very depressed place, no advancement
Not a very good organization to work for. They provide poor management. They split you in so many different directions, they make it hard for you to do your job. Not to mention moral is so low no one even speaks to each other, and when they do speak, all they do is complain.

The attorneys there are a bunch of hypocrites who portray themselves as holier than thou. In fact they treat their support staff, particularly the people of color in a condescending, paternalistic manner. As if we are too stupid to know what is best for us. They act like they are the saviors of all mankind when in reality, they are drowning in their own arrogance.

My experience with management is so negative just the thought of them gives me a raging migraine. Not to mention we have not had raise in 8 years, while those at the top relish in their high salaries.

If management had their way all of us long term employees would just drop dead so they could replace us with newbies who won't be the wiser for at least two years. And then if they are smart they'll jump ship for obvious reasons.

I am tempted to ask to be terminated because if I quit I'll forgo my unemployment benefits.
Great Organization
Volunteer Attorney (Current Employee), Louisville, KYNovember 22, 2013
The Legal Aid Society pursue justice for people in poverty. The mission is to provide free legal services to the most disadvantaged in our community. They fight on behalf of their clients when their health, safety, and stability are unjustly threatened.
Great organization to learn criminal defense work and investigations
Criminal Investigative Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 27, 2013
Lawyers would request for an investigation to be done on a specific case. I an my team would receive from 1 to 5 investigations a day. The work load was not stressful because it could be expanded over a certain period of time. My supervisor was a great teacher. The hardest part was getting witness to cooperate but overall the best part was learning techniques to help the investigation go smoothly.
Providing a Zealous Legal Defense for Indigent Clients
Legal intern - Criminal Defense Division (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 15, 2013
I loved this job. Though it was only an internship I felt that I learned quite a bit. I was placed under a great attorney who gave me plenty of opportunities to appear on the record at the Brooklyn Criminal Court. A wonderful experience.
Productive and fun work place to be
Legal Administrative Assistant/Clerical Associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great parties for ex: christmas
Working for the Legal Aid Society was the greatest experience that I ever had. I love law and I learnt so much from the company. The office manager was always pleasant. The co-workers were easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was when a co-worker was leaving to move on to bigger and better things in life. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to court to pick up petitions and working with attorneys.
Large Legal Services Organization
Assistant Attorney-in-Charge Juvenile (Current Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 12, 2013
Pros: unionize, great benefits
The Legal Aid Society is an incredible organization that provides a full range of legal services to indigent and low-income individuals. Three practice areas in all five boroughs of NYC.

Staff are unionized and generally enjoy great benefits and positive interactions with management. There are many internship and fellowship opportunities available to students looking to serve the public interest.
Professional Law Firm with plenty of room for advancement
Social Work Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 12, 2013
Very great environment to work in with great workshops!! Part of multidisciplinary team..
Great place to work!
Paralegal intern at Legal Aid Society. (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 2, 2013
Pros: great benefits. you are provide a day off (paid) every two weeks so you can manage your stress.
Cons: some management issues.
Legal Aid Society is a not profit organization dealing with family Law and helping victims of Domestic Violence. It is a great place to start if you are interested on working with Family Law.

A typical day for a paralegal can vary from the demands of the clients. It might include, but not limited, to speak with potential clients, find elements of Domestic violence to determine if they meet the standards of the Utah Statute, report the incidents to the attorneys, provide feedback to the client in regards with representation, do the pleadings for the clients under the attorney supervision, e-file with the Utah Court System the pleadings. Once the proper documentation has been signed by the judge, assist the client until the moment of the hearing; be present during the hearing and assist the attorney and the clients.

If for any reason one of the clients is denied for representation, the paralegal will assist the client to go Pro Se and will provide the proper legal direction to find a solution to their concerns.

Legal Aid is a very rewarding experience with a lot of ups and downs when you learn to manage the stress and deal with a lot of different clients from many several backgrounds. A great place to start!

About Legal Aid Society

Legal Aid Society of Hawaii operates statewide. Practice areas include housing, public benefits, consumer and family law but not – Read more