The Olean office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) has up to two AmeriCorps positions available at its office located in Olean, New York.
LawNY® is a not-for-profit law firm which provides civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen-county region in western New York State. The Olean office serves Cattaraugus County and provides representation primarily in the areas of housing, public benefits, family, consumer and health law.
AmeriCorps members will work as legal assistants, and will be offered the opportunity for direct, substantive legal experience, excellent training and mentoring, and a chance to make a critical difference in the lives of poor people and their communities. They will team with dedicated professionals, including other AmeriCorps members, in an established poverty law program.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits:
- $17,170 annual stipend
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award (currently set at $5,645) upon successful completion of service which can be applied toward existing education debt or used toward future educational costs.
- Deferment of qualified federal and some private student loans
- Year long position with possibility of 2nd year
- Health care, child care, life insurance available
- Intensive training and member support
- Provide screening and intake for people seeking civil legal assistance;
- Assist staff attorneys in providing legal services to clients;
- Work with community agencies serving the poor to strengthen collaborations;
- Provide outreach and community education for targeted groups/clients;
- Assist in the recruitment and support of volunteer lawyers, students and community members;
- Participate on relevant staff committees/work groups;
- Participate in impact cases or projects.
Applicants should have a bachelor’s degree or at least two years of college or equivalent experience. Members should have a personal commitment to eliminating poverty and its effects in our communities and to high standards of professional performance.
All applications received will be considered until the positions are filled. The start date for the position is on or about September 2, 2014. Applicants should email a letter of interest, a resume, and the names of three references.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.