Legal Department Employee Reviews

Diverse Global Retail Organization
Manager of Regulatory Compliance & Asst Sec (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILApril 7, 2017
Continual creation of long term systemic global solutions to meet or exceed regulatory requirements across multiple selling channels and cross functional teams.
Great Company
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 20, 2017
The Legal Department strives to get things done as quickly as possible. It is a very fast-paced environment that teaches you to wear 10 hats at once! It definitely stretches your skills.
Learned a lot
Sr Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXNovember 10, 2016
Learned how to do legal research fr different state insurance commissions. Learned how to file an application, claims rider, and policy.

Discussed rates and approvals received with the Actuarial Dept.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
See previous review
Great place to work!
Assistant (Current Employee) –  MichiganJune 15, 2016
I love to be around all of my coworkers. It is a great atmosphere to work in. The only reason I don't think I should stay where I am is because I don't feel it challenges me enough.
Amazing Learning Experience
Legal Intern at COACH (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 23, 2015
I learned a lot about intellectual property law and it's function in an in house capacity. I think this experience will be beneficial for whatever job I have in the future in the field of intellectual property law.
Wonderful place to work
Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDOctober 19, 2015
management was great. Co workers were great. It was very enjoyable and family friendly place to work. the hardest part was hearing that our office was closing
Pros
Flex time
Legal Executive Administrator at QRS
TEMP POSITION - Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cablevision, Bethpage New YorkSeptember 10, 2015
Fast paced, ever growing insurance defense firm. Started as a small two "man" boutique firm specializing only in radiology reviews. State Farm's in house defense counsel wanted us to handle much of the work they were outsourcing. They requested we set up our operation to handle the volume. With 37 employees working day and night shifts, we quickly became a streamlined efficient professional corporation. Our little boutique shop grew, establishing a panel of over 50,000 specialty IME doctors, for Liability and No Fault cases. The IME department scheduled between 80-100 IME's a week, coordinated with defense for discovery, motions, EBT's, prepared for summary judgment or trial. The radiology department obtained and had reviewed at least 100 films a week. The medical records department processed and followed up on over 1,000 Hipaa forms a week; securing medical records, intra-op photo's, scanning all documents into the secured web server and preparing coherent, indexed medical records for the doctors and the courts. The system, both electronic and proofread by supervisors, had cross checks and balances to avoid duplication, or omission of each and every step. Our IME centric software system, tracked and provided case management. Each employee was trained by me personally, each IME document template was written and bookmarked by the original two man team, minus the absentee owner. All pertinent case information was input into the system and generated automatically into each document. As paralegal and office manager I was the go-to person for every question, complaint,  more... suggestion, personal disclosure; every uncooperative claimant, aggravated medical records employee, surly attorney or billing personnel, was gently placed on hold and the call was routed to my desk. The main objective in each department was to promote an uplifting, solution based work environment, where helping each other made everything run smoothly and no one job function could not be done by any other individual. Rotating shifts, job shares, signing off to each other, being accountable and responsible for individual and departmental goals, all working together in a cohesive, professional manner for the individual and for the company as a whole. Eventually the system ran (almost) just as smoothly without me, as with me, with the owner or without the owner. It was an exhilarating fulfilling experience. However, one that I would not like to repeat.
Today I am looking to support a senior level attorney or managing partner or executive, in the daily functions of his or her position.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
No benefits package
The "family" was very much team players
Executive Assistant III (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 29, 2015
Assisted six in house litigation attorneys and five document analysts in different areas of requests. Coordinate meetings, Travel Arrangements, Maintain Calendars, Prepare Expense Reports, Prepared and process required contracts, Work with outside counsel. Case management and discovery services by reviewing and processing new lawsuits, tracking other services information, preparing monthly reports.

I learned patience and practice worked together. "it will all come together". You put your best foot forward and go with the flow.

The hardest part? short deadlines.

The best part, we all worked together as a team.
Fun place great people, just not my area of preference
Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 23, 2015
The company is small and I am the only person in the legal department. I got dropped into the position and have had to learn it all on my own. It has been fun and a great experience, but I do not want to deal with finances of other people any more, such as their bankruptcy issues. I'd much rather go back out there and write stories for the good people of my country.
Consulting firm specializing in infrastructure of mission critical web sites
Legal Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2015
• Consulted on the configuration and implementation of information/security systems for Time, Inc., TimeOutNY and JG Sullivan Interactive
• Maintained relationships with leading IT software/hardware companies (Sun Microsystems and Cisco) to generate new business channels
• Consistently exceeded quarterly sales quotas ($3 million)
• New business prospecting resulted in the acquisition of Sotheby's, Liveperson, StarChefs.com and DynamicWeb
Fun place to work with opportunity for growth.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  ElSegundo, CANovember 22, 2014
I appreciate the fact that I learned two new software programs in my short employment. Everyone that I met was helpful and so kind. I managed to have a little trouble in the begining but was able to overcome that obstacle.
Having great lawyers in high places, on the 14th floor
Intern (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INNovember 4, 2014
A typical day during my internship in the legal department was compiling a report for the Chief City Attorney, going to court proceedings and also Code enforcement Hearings, and really learning more about the operations of my local city government. Everyone was great to me and always willing to give assistance when needed and not making me feel like I was being a nuisance. The hardest part of the job was not being able to do more, however their were policies in place that mandated what interns could do and their experience and knowledge of the law. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know these people and working with them, and being told that I could always utilize them as references when needed.
Pros
Interacting with great lawyers and the mayor of the city.
Cons
Knowing that it was only for a specified time.
Constant chance and personal and business growth make for a great company
Bankruptcy Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILAugust 23, 2014
A typical day at work starts with managing any new accounts with members that have filed bankruptcy 7 or 13. After that there are proof of claims to be filed and reaffirmations to be sent out and a Q that needs to be checked on daily to follow up with hearings, proceedings and payments to member's accounts from the trustee.
Part of why I love working in the legal world is because nothing is ever constant. No case is the same. It forces me to read each case individually and treat it accordingly.
My coworkers and I are constantly talking about changes in law, everything from marijuana to litigation to collections.
The hardest part about working in the legal department is telling people they lost their privileges, such as a credit card, overdraft protection, or worse, their homes and/or cars.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing how much we collected every month in recoveries and receiving a monthly bonus.
Pros
Monthly Bonus
Cons
Telling people we are filing a motion for relief from stay to take their homes and/or cars
Management was wonderful
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 21, 2014
Enjoyed this position. I had several opportunities to learn new things. Sadly this hardest part was being transferred due to an executive decision.
Environmentally Educational
Forest Preserve District of Cook County (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2014
Learned about the environment in a professional organization with good leaders.
Temporary
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 8, 2014
This was a temporary position when I first started with AMR.
Pros
in my field
Cons
temporary
District Office Internship Cuyahoga Community College
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, Ohio 44115April 30, 2014
My typical day consisted of writing legal memorandums. I wrote legal memorandums with a focus on education on these topics:
1. How does the College respond to a Public Record Request?
2. What are the steps to renew a trademark?
3. How does a handle a foreign public records request?
4. Whether a bargaining unit agreement covers FMLA and should
College employees fill out FMLA forms.

I learned how to work in a law office and understand how a office is run. to help College (which was the client) for the ten weeks I worked there.

Management treatment was good to me while I was there.

The assignments were a good learning experience.
Pros
Learned how a law office functioned
Cons
Busy busy busy - worked lots of extra hours sometimes 7 days per week.
Permanent position as Data Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 14, 2014
The goal of this department was the collection of defaulted, federally guaranteed student loans. Many of these accounts ended up in litigation. The collection effort sometimes led to very stressful interactions with borrowers.

While at ASA I learned a lot about managing people and substantial annual budgets. My typical day consisted of assigning accounts for pre-litigation collection activity under the direct supervision of the Senior Attorney. This involved preparation of litigation packets and recommendation to the legal staff regarding accounts to be moved to court.

For the last two to three years at ASA, I was working 6 days a week and sometimes seven. I enjoyed the people I worked with; however, in hindsight the job was extremely stressful, in part due to the lack of support from senior management.
Pros
The opportunity to experience working in a business setting and to work as a manager.
Cons
The hours, the hours, the hours
department deleted
Risk Management Secretary (Former Employee) –  Saint MichaelDecember 6, 2013
This department was caught in the middle of hospital politics and my job was deleted. The remnants of this department was absorbed into another department that I was not needed. Another department picked me up. This supervisor was kind and considerate unlike others.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2013
This was an Administrative position in a small office. A typical day at work was heavy phone, filing, and preparing papers for court. Management was pretty much at the discretion of the general counsel. Office was genial. Hardest part of the job was isolation.
Pros
Office was on the 2nd floor
Cons
No room for advancement