Legal Department Employee Reviews

Amazing Learning Experience
Legal Intern at COACH (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 23, 2015
I learned a lot about intellectual property law and it's function in an in house capacity. I think this experience will be beneficial for whatever job I have in the future in the field of intellectual property law.
The "family" was very much team players
Executive Assistant III (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 29, 2015
Assisted six in house litigation attorneys and five document analysts in different areas of requests. Coordinate meetings, Travel Arrangements, Maintain Calendars, Prepare Expense Reports, Prepared and process required contracts, Work with outside counsel. Case management and discovery services by reviewing and processing new lawsuits, tracking other services information, preparing monthly reports.

I learned patience and practice worked together. "it will all come together". You put your best foot forward and go with the flow.

The hardest part? short deadlines.

The best part, we all worked together as a team.
Wonderful place to work
Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDOctober 19, 2015
management was great. Co workers were great. It was very enjoyable and family friendly place to work. the hardest part was hearing that our office was closing
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Fun place great people, just not my area of preference
Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 23, 2015
The company is small and I am the only person in the legal department. I got dropped into the position and have had to learn it all on my own. It has been fun and a great experience, but I do not want to deal with finances of other people any more, such as their bankruptcy issues. I'd much rather go back out there and write stories for the good people of my country.
Consulting firm specializing in infrastructure of mission critical web sites
Legal Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2015
• Consulted on the configuration and implementation of information/security systems for Time, Inc., TimeOutNY and JG Sullivan Interactive
• Maintained relationships with leading IT software/hardware companies (Sun Microsystems and Cisco) to generate new business channels
• Consistently exceeded quarterly sales quotas ($3 million)
• New business prospecting resulted in the acquisition of Sotheby's, Liveperson, StarChefs.com and DynamicWeb
District Office Internship Cuyahoga Community College
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, Ohio 44115April 30, 2014
My typical day consisted of writing legal memorandums. I wrote legal memorandums with a focus on education on these topics:
1. How does the College respond to a Public Record Request?
2. What are the steps to renew a trademark?
3. How does a handle a foreign public records request?
4. Whether a bargaining unit agreement covers FMLA and should
College employees fill out FMLA forms.

I learned how to work in a law office and understand how a office is run. to help College (which was the client) for the ten weeks I worked there.

Management treatment was good to me while I was there.

The assignments were a good learning experience.
Pros
learned how a law office functioned
Like my job, but future of the agency is uncertain
Colorado Student Loan Program (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 10, 2012
My typical day consists of monitoring varying aspects of bankruptcy as it relate to our clients. That includes processing a large volume of paper each day, while taking phone calls from clients and assisting them in understanding how bankruptcy affects their student loan debt and the options available to them. Hearing someone say "thank you" for taking time to explain things to me while being calm and courteous as well makes my day. I enjoy the flexibility and independence my boss allows me.
Family Owned Business
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNApril 4, 2013
Executive Assistant to the SVP, General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, and Board of Directors.

Supported executives with travel, calendaring, event planning, presentations, expense reports and day-to-day administrative duties.

Coordinated all Board and Committee Materials, Minutes, Agendas, and Resolutions.

Coordinate personal jet schedules.

Work daily in MS Office Suite, Oracle, CAMP Flight Database at a high level of proficiency.

I do not feel my job is hard.

Most enjoyable part of my job is my managers/supervisors. They are great to work for and I enjoy working hard for them.

I have learned a lot about the production of windows and materials used.
Pros
work/life balance
benefits
Having great lawyers in high places, on the 14th floor
Intern (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INNovember 4, 2014
A typical day during my internship in the legal department was compiling a report for the Chief City Attorney, going to court proceedings and also Code enforcement Hearings, and really learning more about the operations of my local city government. Everyone was great to me and always willing to give assistance when needed and not making me feel like I was being a nuisance. The hardest part of the job was not being able to do more, however their were policies in place that mandated what interns could do and their experience and knowledge of the law. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know these people and working with them, and being told that I could always utilize them as references when needed.
Pros
interacting with great lawyers and the mayor of the city.
Cons
knowing that it was only for a specified time.
Friendly and interesting work place
Compliance Administrator (Current Employee) –  Olympia Fields, ILOctober 13, 2012
Drafting legal franchise documents from a Business Plan provided by Strategic Planning then finalizing documents to prepare for state regstration to 23 states that require registration. Co-workers are fun and friendly; intereact on a daily basis with co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is making my clients satisfied and happy.
Productive and friendly work environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Imperial, CAJuly 9, 2013
I'm really happy working for IID because it's a friendly and cooperative place to work. Everyone has the attitude and disposition to help the co-workers.
We all respect each other.

I've learned legal terms (I'm working as an administrative assistant in the legal department).
Cons
i'm a temp. there is no vacancy right now.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2013
This was an Administrative position in a small office. A typical day at work was heavy phone, filing, and preparing papers for court. Management was pretty much at the discretion of the general counsel. Office was genial. Hardest part of the job was isolation.
Pros
office was on the 2nd floor
Cons
no room for advancement
Fun place to work with opportunity for growth.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  ElSegundo, CANovember 22, 2014
I appreciate the fact that I learned two new software programs in my short employment. Everyone that I met was helpful and so kind. I managed to have a little trouble in the begining but was able to overcome that obstacle.
Great opportunity to interact with the community.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston,TXNon ProfitJune 3, 2013
Personal integrity, and driving initiative to provide urgently needed legal services to the community as quickly, and efficiently as possible were my tools. Everyday was a waiting challenge overcome by enthusiasm, and teamwork.
Pros
non-profit
Cons
non-profit
Very exciting place to work. Met a lot of important people.
Executive Administrator, Corporate Tax Department (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMay 27, 2013
The working environment was wonderful. Counseling students, fellowship meetings, recruiting for students for jobs and graduate school. Management was wonderful.
Pros
very educational and met interesting people.
Great benefits. Normal office hours except during or while preparing for trials.
Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 21, 2012
Was assigned to work for three litigation attorneys. Majority of time was spent preparing and analyzing medical records. Prepared and sumitted pleadings for attorneys review and filed with federal and state courts.
department deleted
Risk Management Secretary (Former Employee) –  Saint MichaelDecember 6, 2013
This department was caught in the middle of hospital politics and my job was deleted. The remnants of this department was absorbed into another department that I was not needed. Another department picked me up. This supervisor was kind and considerate unlike others.
Excellent learning experience with talented group of people
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 21, 2012
Contract period while an associate was on leave. Learned a great deal about property and casualty insurance, frequency of changes in various state statutes and how they affected contractual requirements.
Busy busy busy - worked lots of extra hours sometimes 7 days per week.
Permanent position as Data Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 14, 2014
The goal of this department was the collection of defaulted, federally guaranteed student loans. Many of these accounts ended up in litigation. The collection effort sometimes led to very stressful interactions with borrowers.

While at ASA I learned a lot about managing people and substantial annual budgets. My typical day consisted of assigning accounts for pre-litigation collection activity under the direct supervision of the Senior Attorney. This involved preparation of litigation packets and recommendation to the legal staff regarding accounts to be moved to court.

For the last two to three years at ASA, I was working 6 days a week and sometimes seven. I enjoyed the people I worked with; however, in hindsight the job was extremely stressful, in part due to the lack of support from senior management.
Pros
the opportunity to experience working in a business setting and to work as a manager.
Cons
the hours
HR Director/CEO Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMay 13, 2013
Loved to work in the culture of the firm. Family-friendly with flexible hours.
Pros
hours were great and fridays were great. firm closed at 1:30 pm each friday.
Cons
off of miramar road, heavy traffic.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Department. Our community is ready to answer.