Legal Sea Foods Employee Reviews in United States

A lot turn over
Chef (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 26, 2016
Good with great foundation however not a great quality of life and hard management to work for this company has a very high turnover rate.
Pros
good foundation
Cons
not repect for employees quality of life
awsome
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Somerville, MAApril 1, 2016
great place to work. the staff is great and the enviroment is nice. if you want to be a server you will make good money. their application is online and they have a good pay for hostesses.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
no free food
Fast Paced, High Volume, good quality, with a very strong and loyal workforce/culture.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIMarch 4, 2016
Most Managers/chefs are very nice, understanding, and willing to teach and help. Compensation is good. coworkers work well together. Training is fun. Theres nothing bad to say about this company.
Good money to be made; horrible management
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJ 07652February 11, 2016
I worked as a hostess at Legal Sea Foods in Paramus, NJ for almost a year.

A typical day at work included:

Managing floor-plan/server's head-counts/restaurant "flow", greeting/seating guests, taking/confirming reservations over the phone and via Open Table, completing takeout orders, accommodating guests with any allergies/special needs/etc., making kids' packs, keeping host-stand organized and presentable

What I learned:

Legal Sea Foods was my first experience hosting and my first experience working in a full-service restaurant, so I learned quite a bit about restaurant management and the like.

Management:

The worst part of the job, hands down. With the exception of one or two, the managers at the Paramus Legal Sea Foods have little idea how to do their jobs correctly or even appropriately. Every employee is treated differently depending on their personal relationship with management; they make their favoritism blatant and it is most often completely unwarranted. You could be the best worker they have but if they don't "like" you, then prepare for the worst shifts and for your voice to go unheard. They are more than willing to ignore the restaurant and the needs of their employees as long as it keeps their hands clean and their favorites happy. It's honestly like high school all over again; if someone gets written up, they have no shame in gossiping about it to their other employees in detail. They give "fake" promotions to employees (regardless if they've been there for 4 years or 4 weeks) so they can spend the entire day locked-up in their office without
  more... having to "worry" about what's going on in the restaurant.

I have been working since I was 16 (23 now), and I am quite used to the favoritism and unfair treatment that comes with the territory of any job, however Legal Sea Foods in Paramus, NJ took it to an unimaginable level. They have no trust in their employees and immediately comp any customer over the smallest complaints without even asking for their employees' side. I regularly made ILLEGAL (they do not offer delivery services or have a company car) deliveries in my OWN car, using my OWN gas because management had "made a deal" with the company to have their food delivered. Management also made "deals" with the majority of the other hostesses there (one who would only work Saturday nights as long as she "never" had to close; one who would only work Monday and Tuesday at 6 PM) forcing the rest of us to bust our butts. There was a point over the summer where we were so strapped for hostesses but my one manager wouldn't even look at applications from males because she found them to be "less reliable".
Pros
Hourly rate, occasional tips from takeout orders, co-workers
Cons
Long hours sometimes without breaks, unfair treatment
great place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VAFebruary 7, 2016
the money was consistent and the customers were enjoyable. I loved my coworkers. The schedule was flexible and there was never an issue with taking off of work. They offer health insurance which is rare for a restaurant.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Great food good service and everythings Legal
BOH Line Cook (Current Employee) –  East Boston, MAFebruary 3, 2016
I love working here good people great food and good pay. I work with fun and funny people that keep the line live and who also knows when its time to get to the serious work.
Pros
free lunches
A great place to work for students
server (Current Employee) –  Kendall Square, Cambridge, MASeptember 24, 2015
Legal Sea Foods is a great place to work if you're a student. They will mostly accommodate your schedule, though each weeks schedule is released the previous Thursday or Friday, so making plans is virtually impossible. I love the servers and cooks I work with, and my managers are great people, regardless if I disagree with the policies corporate is passing down to them. But that aside if you work hard and devote all your time to them they will advance you. The best part by far is family meal, which the cookies put a lot of effort into if time allows.
Pros
Family meal, 20% off companywide stores
Cons
small sections, 'ethical' fishing practices
Phonomenal Atmosphere!
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Market Street, Lynnfield, MAAugust 22, 2015
Extremely guest focused atmosphere! This is a company that has always bent over backwards to make sure that each and every guest feels special and that they are also 100% satisfied!
Pros
great scheduling
Cons
parking at current location is not great at Christmas time.
wac
First Cook/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 9, 2015
• Prepared menu items per customer requests
• Responsible for maintaining the set up cleanliness of fry station
• Handled all food items per industry food safety standard
• Responsible for verifying and organizing incoming stock items
• Organized walk in food lockers and storage units
• Maintained records of inventory for re-order
Best Restaurant
Host, Server, Manager in-training (Former Employee) –  West Nyack, NYJuly 9, 2015
One of the cleanest kitchens I have ever seen in a restaurant. On going training to keep the staff knowledgeable about the products being sold. Willing to try new avenues of food.
Professional work environment
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 20, 2015
Opportunity to advance, professional and stable workplace. I have learned to operate and manage a well known company that has been around for over 50 years.
Pros
fun work environment
Great co-workers
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJune 3, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked side-by-side with. Working in a kitchen can be very stressful and chaotic. The head chef believed in my abilities from day 1 and was very helpful in my growth as a cook.
Pros
Free lunch/dinner
Cons
Lack of time to prep before the restaurant opened each day.
a very good place to work
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 8, 2015
I had a good day I learn how to great day it was very good my management was very friendly I enjoyed preparing sea food I stayed to my self and focus on my career as a cook I was to busy to think about the employees.
Fast paced, ever evolving workplace.
Bartender / Lead Server (Current Employee) –  Park Square, Boston, MAFebruary 15, 2015
Great location/company to work with if looking for career advancement in the hospitality industry.Well respected brand in the restaurant industry, with top notch training and high expectations of its workforce.
Loyal Company, terrible work life balance
Private Dining Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 12, 2015
LSF is a company with many loyal employees. However, there is little work life balance. Most of the employees who work in the restaurants are overworked, under paid, and under appreciated.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no benefits, long hours, strange hours
excellent run operation
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLNovember 18, 2014
excellent company, worked for 8 years until boca raton location closed and legal moved out of florida
great co workers
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 18, 2014
Loved everyone that i worked with. Management can be a little off at times but thats what happens when people believe that they know everything when in fact they know nothing at all.
Very fast-paced restaurant
Server (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MASeptember 22, 2014
As a server, my number one goal was keeping our guests happy, whether they were my own guests or at someone else's table. My job each day was to ensure the satisfaction of everyone who came into the door. Some day were easier than others, but I learned a great deal about how to read people and adjust to their needs. I also learned a great deal about multi-tasking and prioritizing my needs.
Pros
good money from tips
Cons
long hours on my feet
very strict,servers are disposable
bartender server (Current Employee) –  virginiaAugust 13, 2014
favoritism in management level.you get only tables maximum
Pros
steady cash
Cons
you are disposable
Extremely fast paced restaurant
Server (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 15, 2014
This place is unpredictable. One minute your looking for something to do the next minute hours have past by and your still busy. Lots of tourist and travelers.
Pros
great food, great learning enviroment.
Cons
high turnovers with employees, hostile work enviroment.