LESLIE'S POOLMART Employee Reviews in United States

Great company and large advancement opportunities
Lead Sales Associate, Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cave Creek, AZFebruary 26, 2016
It's a very customer-oriented company, having to help customers that come into the store, call on the phone, or redirect them to our field service department. I have learned much about company policies and their implementation, maintaining employee accountability, various aspects of inventory control, coordinating with a service department, and more. In the 10 years I've worked for them, I have yet to dislike a coworker. Even I find that hard to believe sometimes.

The hardest part of my job can be to get those higher than my direct supervisor to listen. The company operates over 900 locations nationwide, so many variables come into play and have to be considered.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction - the people I work with help make it easy, and the people I help make work enjoyable and worthwhile.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement, Benefits, Numerous locations
Cons
Large corporate structure can make it tough to be heard
Garbage!!!
CSA (Former Employee) –  2005 E Indian SchoolOctober 29, 2015
If you don't mind busting your butt working day in and day out and getting no appreciation what so ever....this is the place for you!

If you don't mind being stepped on and paid nothing for years and being made empty promises just to shut you up, this is the place to be!

THere are employees there that have worked for several years and have yet to receive a yearly raise as promised.

People who have been "seasonal" employees for years!

You can be promoted to a different department to work harder But don't expect a pay raise or title change.....

This company is GARBAGE! They take advantage of you every chance they get! If you aren't on the CEO's favorite people list expect nothing! If you are wanting to beable to grow within a company....this is not the place unless you are willing to get on your hands and knees to kiss someones behind!!

Hated this place and so do current employees...they just have no other options!
Pros
nada
Cons
EVERYTHING
Unsupportive
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 25, 2016
Understaffed and over worked. Expected to work 70 hours with 3 staff members. Everything's on the SM. Techs poorly trained and jobs on store location. Sevice manager burnt out and in willing to work with store managers. Very biased upper management. Good pay...
Pros
Pay, benifets
Cons
Hours. No personal life. Hectic.
Perfect Entry Level Job
sales associate (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CADecember 2, 2015
As a High School student, Leslies allowed me to grow in a working environment. I learned about customer service, organization, and proper stocking methods. Management was decent and they seemed to care about their employees. My co-workers were all in their mid thirties or older. They helped ease me into the working world and provided their knowledge when needed. The hardest part about working at Leslies was meeting their daily quota goals. Many times, due to the size of our store, these goals could not be met. the most rewarding part was seeing our products and services actually helping the customers.
Pros
postive work environment, flexible hours
Cons
N/a
assistant store manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 23, 2015
I'm not too sure about all the bad reviews. I have been with a new store for 9 months now and it's an ok company to work for. LOTS of stuff to learn about pools and spas. If your store manager is any good then you won't have a problem. I've heard stories of bad store managers and DM's.

They DO promote from with in. Very easily actually. The other store has a guy that has been here for the same amount of time and he's going down to be a store manager in another state. I personally wouldn't do that till I've learned more but hey to each their own.

My DM is a pretty cool guy so I guess I'm lucky. I mean its retail so there's tons of bad stores, managers, DM's, etc.

The benefits aren't bad but they aren't great. 35 bucks every two weeks isn't bad. But when you add a spouse it sky rockets, of course. You get vacation after 6 months.

Now the bad. Winter time is very very very boring. There are Days with zero customers. I use so much data on my phone, thank god I have unlimited.
Pros
Easy work, ok pay, bonus if your store does well
Cons
Very boring during winter, pay could be better
Horrible pay for what they expect you to do
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MDJuly 8, 2016
First test water, repair equipment, look up parts, special order parts sell pools run register while cust wait because your the only one in the store. Oh and answer phones set up service calls plus unload truck and restock store all for 8.50. Ha ha ha. So poorly managed its sad. All they care about is making money during the swim season after that your let go. Dont waste your time. Better pay at walmart and alot less duties.
Good enviroment
SALES ASSOCIATE LESLIE'S POOLS (Former Employee) –  Kingwood, TXMarch 9, 2016
A typical day at work would go in every morning and start organizing everything in the store, make sure to clean up a little bit before the store opened. Leslie's pools is a pool store so everyday there was water testing for our customers. We'd get about 20 people on weekdays and on weekends about more than 50. Customer service was very important. The hardest part of the job was just on the weekends it would get so packed. Everyone got a long with each other and we were always there to help everyone.
Pros
sometimes free lunches, discount
Cons
hectic
It was alright.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 23, 2016
It is a seasonal postition unless you get promoted. I had an amazing manager and assistant manager. They try to teach you everything you know so you are prepared. I loved my job.
Pros
25% discount great management great training
Don't work there
warehouse (Former Employee) –  HebronMay 21, 2015
DONT, DONT, DONT...work for this company...they DONT,DONT,DONT..promote from within ..they hire incompetent leads , supervisor's ...They condone bullying, stalking and following of employees by power tripping lead who has no warehouse experience...You will be replaced and retaliated against if you disagree with management ...Don't express any interest in being anything in the company..If they can't be a personal assistant to your boss your overlooked ...Don't think you can go to supervisor's or management...they will stab you in the back and throw you under the bus which is also encouraged , They go throw employees and there revolving door is extremely high ..management is completely disrespectful to employees and it's a do as I say not as I do policy
Pros
amply parking
Cons
everything..no room for advancement EVER
title
tech (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 2, 2016
it a corporate company. pay is low and corporate is in charge always. no input from employees. the company wants to grow and the customers are the sufferers. this is a negative review and i don't want to continue
Pros
flexable
Cons
pay
Bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 3, 2015
Good for a summer job but thats about it. Management was terrible and my manager always made e do the grunt work while he would sit in the back on his phone.
Seasonal work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAApril 22, 2015
Long Hours during the season, and very low earnings off-season. Company does not give raises. You have to make Leslie's more money to get more pay thru your commision. No guarantee of earnings during the off-season.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
6 day work weeks during the season, Mandatory.
Productive and overall a great learining experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAJanuary 25, 2016
Learning basics of retail and how to communicate more effectively to give the customer needed treatment. easily laid back atmosphere with polite staff and customer contact.
Pros
across from subway
Cons
little job oppertunity
Working Open to Close
retail management (Former Employee) –  Riverside County, CADecember 9, 2015
At first, this company sounds great to work for. They aren't open late like other retailers, they offer bonuses to more than just the store manager, vacation/sick time, and insurance.

Then you start working there...

No training despite the mass amount of chemicals around you that can explode, injure swimmers or even employees in the store, and chemicals that can cause great physical damage to the pool and the equipment. Stores are typically open 9am-7pm, but several days a week, you're working by yourself from open to close with no breaks because the store only has 2-3 employees. That means that if you have to call out sick or need vacation, guess what?...You aren't getting it and you be berated for even trying. Also if your store is receiving shipment at 5am,you will be expected to work from 4:30am to 7:30pm (after close) with no breaks. Also while working by yourself, you'll be expected to meet the sales goal, set up visits for the company to install equipment, do water tests that will take several minutes a piece, perform commercial account maintenance by cold calling businesses, and put away 4 pallets of shipment within the same day of delivery...once again with no breaks. If you are caught trying to take a moment for yourself (via camera or DM visit) such as taking a bite from a sandwich you brought, you will be written up.
Pros
Stores are open to 7pm at latest
Cons
No breaks, working up to 15 hours a day by yourself
Don't expect to have a home life.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 7, 2014
There are great resources in place but if you happen to have a new DM appointed to your area that doesn't know the ropes and isn't willing to ask for help, be prepared for them to make life heck. You can forget about any thought to returning from maternity leave and getting logical expectations too.
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
under compensation, inadequacy in work-life balance.
Still Employed until I get a better position
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  NCMay 27, 2014
Everything the other posters say is true-good or bad. You work the winter months all by yourself from open to close. Very slow days with not much to do-that can be a pro or con depending on your personality. During the summer months you work 10-12 hr days non stop without a lunch break with another employee. The most employee's this company employs is 3 during the summer months and then lets the LSA or SA go after the season. They pay $10.00 per hour to ASM and Manager's make about $33,000/year. They offer somewhat decent benefits to managers but it's not likely you can afford them with a low salary. There is a lot to know for the little wages you get. Very little training (videos) and if you are lucky to have a knowledgeable Manager you can learn a lot about pools (if you ever plan to own one, want to go higher in the company, or get employed by another pool store) other then that your exp is worthless. You unload trucks by yourself most times. Customers get angry if their water doesn't balance. Overall wages are low, long hours, work most holidays, no life in the summer. never get weekends off (just like any other retail position).
Pros
learn about pools and equipment, it's a job, benefits.
Cons
no life in the summer, long hours by yourself, heavy lifting, low wages, no raises
Its a really good place to work for.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  NahDecember 1, 2015
People really take there jobs seriously here. When you work with people that want to work it makes everything better. Defintly one of the best jobs I have had.
dont do it
lead sales associate (Former Employee) –  txJune 29, 2014
District Management micromanages in store management is unprofessional and little to no benefits super high traffic is summer day with only one associate working and hours are cut that only manger and assist manager are working all other employees are let go
Pros
once your hired really hard to get fired
Cons
not steady job when seasons change
low morale corporate machine driven by $$$ not customer service.
customer service (Former Employee) –  PhoenixJanuary 23, 2015
Difficult working in the corporate office due to low morale of employees and a lack of respect. The are known for low wages and poor customer service. The expectations are that you will work like a dog in a negative environment with lazy management. They don't care about you or your family they only care that you show up and make the job your #1:priority. They will suck the life out of you and then prevent you from moving on. Management tactics are questionable and it's all about knowing exactly how to manipulate each and every employee to keep feeding the machine. It was demoralizing!
Pros
crickets
Cons
shady management
Opportunities for growth
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaApril 15, 2013
You'll work hard, especially during the summer, but if you're looking for a place where you can move up and have a career, this is it. They have a great training program which gives you the knowledge you need to be successful. It's very rewarding to work with the customer's to determine the best solution to their pool care needs.
Pros
training, career opportunities

2.9