Leslie's Poolmart Employee Reviews

Great environment, decent hours, some improvements required.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAJanuary 15, 2017
This has been the best experience I have ever had at a job. Great environment to work, most of the customers are fun and easy to work with, they sometimes even bring gifts for how thankful they can be! At the store level, management is excellent and the district manager is great, however, above the district manager it starts losing it's glamour. The regional vice president was very crud and degrading (before 2017) and made certain associates feel worthless, or not needed. The only saving grace is the trainers in the upper management. They make it fun and easy to learn new things! I always loved going to the training sessions when they were around.
About the pay though, for as much as they invest in their employees they sure don't pay adequately for their full time positions, at least in CA, even when they say they pay competitively. Also, the chance to bonus is difficult to attain depending on the area.
Pros
Fun work environments, decent benefits.
Cons
Low pay, Upper management overhaul.
Inconsistent upper management support unless you're one of the chosen few.
Commercial Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 6, 2016
A good place to start work experience but is VERY seasonal. Summers are extremely busy, off season is excessively slow. Upper management runs things from a distance and is out of touch with local issues, weather issues and issues that can adversely affect the local business. They expect you to force sell. They condone and expect high pressure sales tactics. Environment and atmosphere can be very much like a used car sales environment. Some of the more successful people can be extremely unethical in their sales practices. That is what makes them successful and enables them to move up the ladder expediently.
Pros
can learn lots about pools and spas and water testing, good benefits, good pay.
Cons
inconsistent management support, very seasonal, out of touch upper management.
Work on your own terms
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 19, 2016
At Leslie's pool supplies you are normally alone at your store to work and sell product to the customers. You are working a salary+ position where you are guaranteed 40 hours but you are compensated after 40. This usually has led to burning out from no life but here at our stores.

The ability to provide expertise to clients and truly help them with their needs is what keeps us motivated. The business however is very competitive and corporate has all the saying power in what you should and must do to survive and sell.
Pros
Downtime in off season so as not to get burned out
Cons
No meal, unrealistic budgets, not enough labor
Great coworkers with poor upper management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAJanuary 8, 2017
The store managers were supportive and were more than willing to teach and give more responsibilities to assistant managers and lead sales associates. However, compensation is very poor, where upper management continues hold managers at low salaries while simultaneously having unreasonably high demands of their employees.
Horrible Pay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CAFebruary 19, 2017
Easy job but long hours working by yourself and corporate is out of touch on how the real world works. Corporate keeps implementing new policies that make the customers feel uncomfortable.
Pros
good employee discount
Cons
don't believe in raises, new hires make more than seasoned employees
Good start
Commercial Service Center (CSC) Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 27, 2016
Good place to learn and start a customer service career.
Improve communication skills, managerial and operational skills.
Must be sales motivated and able to work under pressure to achieve sales budgets.
Pros
benefits, paid vacation
Cons
pressure to sale
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAFebruary 6, 2017
It's decent, decent pay for an area that's not as expensive for California. Good management, and great benefits. Assistant managers and up work 60+ hours a week but that's pretty normal.
Pros
Benefits, Easy to learn, Good management.
Cons
Low pay(depends on area)
Productive and fun workplace
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 29, 2017
Leslies is a great place to work. Compensation packages are competitive. Recently the travel has become difficult for family
Awesome Company
Senior Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJanuary 13, 2017
Great Company to work for, fantastic compensation and benefits package for all full-time employees. Easy Training and Family Friendly work environment.
A wonderful stepping stone.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAOctober 8, 2016
A fairly routine retail job in both locations I worked.
Aside from strict adherence to stocking diagrams management (as well as employee interest) seemed Laissez-faire at best.

The hardest part of the job was smoothing over disgruntled customers when a set of $0.30 rubber replacement parts was priced upwards of 50 times that.

I enjoyed the mechanical side of repairing the pumps and cleaners that came in, as well as forming relationships with our regulars.

For those that are compitent and content with the career path there is upward mobility from; Sales Associate to Lead SA, Assistant Manager to Manager, District Manager (for those that like to drive), and finally for those lifers Regional.
Cons
Customers were often left underinformed if it meant an easier sale.
Rough Management Transition
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Typical workdays put me in control of task management, coaching, scheduling, and handling work orders.

Management did its best to work together but tensions were high as the store was given to a manager who had worked in a lower volume store into a much higher volume store.

I was able to apply previous experience to a transitioning leadership team to make things run smoother but was only able to accomplish a few things before having to leave for family reasons.

My take-away from this experience is; how corporate culture gets in the way of sales and customer service from time to time.

From the moment I started, it felt like upper-middle management was breathing down the team's to achieve impossible goals that were set by the previous store manager who voluntarily sacrificed his time in amounts that no person should be expected to after working a 50 hour week. We were pushed to make hard-sells which turned away new customers and felt like we were asking too much of regular customers we had not yet established relationships with.

Merchandising plans, scripted sales, and customer service doesn't achieve the sales or relationships needed to maintain a healthy operation. There is a balance that is achievable where customers receive what they need, sales increase steadily over time with repeat business, and the team members running the store don't have to sacrifice nearly as much of their time or energy to achieve growth.

The most enjoyable parts of the job was working with my team members. Despite the challenges, we were able to work together to make the job more
  more... organizers and easier to handle. They worked and sacrificed in incredible amounts to make sure that everyone had their fair share of time and training. I will always remember that part of the job fondly.  less
Pros
Excellent benefits, structured training, upper management in constant communication.
Cons
Plans were disorganized, hard selling, disregard for work/life balance
Great company and large advancement opportunities
Lead Sales Associate, Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cave Creek, AZFebruary 26, 2016
It's a very customer-oriented company, having to help customers that come into the store, call on the phone, or redirect them to our field service department. I have learned much about company policies and their implementation, maintaining employee accountability, various aspects of inventory control, coordinating with a service department, and more. In the 10 years I've worked for them, I have yet to dislike a coworker. Even I find that hard to believe sometimes.

The hardest part of my job can be to get those higher than my direct supervisor to listen. The company operates over 900 locations nationwide, so many variables come into play and have to be considered.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction - the people I work with help make it easy, and the people I help make work enjoyable and worthwhile.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement, Benefits, Numerous locations
Cons
Large corporate structure can make it tough to be heard
An average place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXMay 11, 2016
Morale is low due to working long hours with very poor compensation, management is usually misleading to lower employees, and schedules tend to not be flexible.
Garbage!!!
CSA (Former Employee) –  2005 E Indian SchoolOctober 29, 2015
If you don't mind busting your butt working day in and day out and getting no appreciation what so ever....this is the place for you!

If you don't mind being stepped on and paid nothing for years and being made empty promises just to shut you up, this is the place to be!

THere are employees there that have worked for several years and have yet to receive a yearly raise as promised.

People who have been "seasonal" employees for years!

You can be promoted to a different department to work harder But don't expect a pay raise or title change.....

This company is GARBAGE! They take advantage of you every chance they get! If you aren't on the CEO's favorite people list expect nothing! If you are wanting to beable to grow within a company....this is not the place unless you are willing to get on your hands and knees to kiss someones behind!!

Hated this place and so do current employees...they just have no other options!
Pros
nada
Cons
EVERYTHING
Fun Place
Assistant Manager- Retail (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 15, 2017
fun place and good entry level or "summer job". Upper level management is horrible and pay scale is pathetic. For the amount of knowledge and continuing requirements needed, better pay scale would secure employees. They don't care about turnover or loyalty as your just a warm body to preform tasks
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Ridiculous low pay
Productive Work Place
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLJanuary 5, 2017
I like my job here because of the other managers and our employees. Everyone is hard working and dedicated to their jobs. The customers and I are close so seeing them is a highlight to my day as well. There isn't any hard parts to my job besides dealing with customer complaints from our commercial accounts, they are challenging but I like a good challenge.
Pros
Alot of down time to finish and start projects
Cons
No breaks
Great Managers, Bad District Manager
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  TXJuly 1, 2016
Great job for a college student. That's about it, yes you can have good coworkers.( that varies between stores. I have the perfect coworkers but the decisions of the upper management are ridiculous. They discriminate against age for any manager positions. So if your under 25, don't even aspire to become a manager.(unless your really lucky.) 18 months with Leslies, and they hire a 39 year old with 2 months experience ahead of me and two other associates to become assistant manager. Our only fault, being 20,22,24. Even if the 39 year old, doesn't know 1/4 of what we know. Like I said good job for a college student, but don't expect much. ( Unless your in your 30s.)
Pros
Good Store Managers. Customer Base. Slow Winter
Cons
Upper Mangement. Hours. Not enough help in Summer. Expect too much from you, for minimum pay.
Great place to learn a lot, and the staff is amazing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chino, CANovember 29, 2016
I worked at Leslie's for 2 years and I absolutely loved it. You learn something new every single day, and the staff is amazing to work with. I worked in about 5 different stores, and in each one the staff was so helpful, and nice. Some of them even becoming life long friends. Working there will definitely be an experience I will treasure for the rest of my life.
Pros
the staff and hours
Cons
not enough staff members
bad workplace
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 7, 2017
typically things went pretty smooth i learned basic chemistry from water tests and things. the management was terrible. hardest part was dealing with my manager.
Pros
good hours.
Cons
terrible management and district manager
productive and fun work place
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLDecember 29, 2016
worked opening and closings..fun place to work. got along with all staff.learned alot about pool work and how they operated..liked working with all the customers that came in. got to solve pool issues and sold products to heat a pool and control the water if they had a problem with a green or yellow coloring in there pool.
Pros
lunch breaks, fun environment
Cons
long days sometimes with no breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leslie's Poolmart. Our community is ready to answer.