Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Vice President Controller (Current Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYSeptember 30, 2016
LLS is a great place to work for, the organization main mission is to find a cure for Leukemia and provide assistance to patients and their families.
Pros
Great Mission
Cons
Low family-work balance
Great Benefits, lacking management
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 14, 2016
Loved the foundation and overall environment. Management lacked the direction and made changes that made it uncomfortable for everyone when they restructured the team.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
lack of leadership
Close knit office that avoids monotony!
Intern (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 11, 2016
I am a current intern at the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and thus far, I love it. The management is absolutely wonderful, always willing to help out and assure I have all of the tools I need to be successful here. They work with my school schedule, and I also find I am making an impact to the mission of the LLS. I learn more and more about the fundraising efforts as well as the people impacted by these endeavors. The most enjoyable part of this internship is working toward different major events and being able to perform tasks in different areas. I would recommend for anyone to work here.
Challenge and Joy
Controller / Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 7, 2016
Finding creative ways to raise research dollars was both a challenge and a joy. This occurred with industry mandated programs but also in communication techniques that prompted a donor to give or to give more. It involved working with many types of people, both as co-workers and as volunteers to the Society.
Pros
Feel good position - giving back to society
Cons
Frequent turnover of upper management
Do what you love to help save lives
Senior Creative Director (Current Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYMay 10, 2016
I have always loved advertising and communications. I get to do what I love and help (in my way) find cures for blood cancers.
Pros
great people, I get to do what I love and save lives.
Cons
LLS like any other organization is subject to the ups and downs of the economy.
place to grow
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAApril 10, 2016
I have gain knowledge and given the opportunity to grow
I have made lots of friends

I have been given the opportunity to learn about Non-profit
Pros
can speak with my Supervision when ever
Great working environment
Campaign Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2016
Loved working for this organization. Everyone worked well together and was always willing to help another colleague with an upcoming progress.
Great Place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 21, 2016
Was a great working environment, if I could I would still work there assisting people who are in an unfortunate situation.
Pros
Helping people in need
Cons
relocation
It was a very mundane workforce
tele-recruiter (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 20, 2016
I did not enjoy working by myself at a desk. I thrive when I get the chance to be creative and with people and this was telerecruiting. My job was to call local schools and get them on board with our fundraiser for kids with cancer.
Productive and Professional Workplace
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PANovember 4, 2015
During my time as an intern for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society I experienced an extremely professional yet friendly work environment. While aiding staff members in the office they took the time to help me learn the daily activities and responsibilities required to work in an office setting. It was a great opportunity for me to accept responsibility and to carry out tasks with little to no supervision.
I would not work here
Temporary Campaign Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 20, 2015
I started working at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in August 2015. I was hired on as a temporary Campaign Assistant. My assignment was supposed to be from August to March. I have this in an email from my former manager. I was call into the office one day and told my position had ended. They said we met our goal and had to make budget cuts. Of course, I don't believe this at all. There are a lot of politics and power hungry people in upper management. I would not suggest working here even as a temporary employee.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
No job security
Nice and home-like kitchen for emloyees
Marketing intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 18, 2015
I was daily responsible for designing the flyers and leaflets for each major marketing campaign or event. Also, I would help them contact their potential donor to persuade them into being regular donors towards their programs. Besides, I edited and managed their official website concerning the information to be updated once in a while. The most important thing I've learned from this position is teamwork. I have to make sure every one was on the same page in order to make the final decisions. Their culture and management is great and everyone could be fairly treated as one of a big family. The most challenging part of this internship was to keep donors being our regular donors while the most enjoyable part of the job would be to talk with people on the phone and share our stories with them.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Short break
volunteer
Seasonal Volunteer (Current Employee) –  new york new yorkMay 7, 2015
i learned about cancer i found my job easy cause we was dealing with people who service cancer and people that going thru it and awardness.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  DenverMarch 24, 2015
I great place to volunteer and great people that work for LLS. Well run and also very friendly staff. Ongoing volunteer work
Pros
Feel good
Cons
Seeing pain
Internship
Intern (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAFebruary 19, 2015
Each day at my internship makes me feel that I am helping to make a difference in the fight against cancer. Even though my part is small I try to the best of my abilities to help in any way. I've learned about all the elements it take to run an efficient campaign. There is a huge amount of planning, preparation, and communicating with all the entities that are involved in a campaign. It is a rewarding job and my experience so far has been wonderful.
Good People and Cause, Average Pay, Fundraising is hard
Pennies for Patients School Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 19, 2015
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is a great place to work. I feel like I'm doing a good thing everyday I go to work. on the downside, fundraising can often feel like telemarketing. Lot's of the people we contact are not interested and don't have time for us.
Pros
good people, decent pay
Cons
temporary positions, hard to raise funds
Productive and for a great cause
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2014
I learned a lot about the organization and its cause.
Workers were very warm and comforting.
Made the environment comfortable to work in.
job culture
stewardship (Former Employee) –  white plains , nyNovember 21, 2014
Great place to work, nice poeople , not very stressful

A day at work can be bust lots of spread shieets, powerpoints and high demand of projects with deadlines
Pros
nice people, casual enviroment
Cons
promised a full time job aty end of temp - however never had funds for it
Non-profit with corporate sales practices
Campaign Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesJune 13, 2014
Yes we hope we are raising funds for a good cause, but I wonder. I was hired as a contract school and youth assistant campaign manager. It was telesales boiler room, being on the phone non-stop for 5 hours, harassing poor teachers by interrupting them during class time. You will become that telesales person who calls you during dinner "Asking is this a good time?" There is no creativity, as you'll be reading from a script. Your name will be on a board and the number of registrations you closed will be next to it. You ring a bell when you close a school or play silly motivated games to win a $5 target gift card.

I would say the best part I met some incredible nice people who were also temporary contract employees. We just bonded as it was a toxic environment.
Pros
Free paid parking
Excellent Place to WOrk
Staff Acct/Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 11, 2014
After graduation this company allowed me to apply my knowledge obtained in school and develop my skill in a practical manner. Excellent place to work.

2.8