Levin Furniture Employee Reviews

very hard job with decent pay
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 28, 2017
They will work you into the ground. If you deliver from one of the remote stores you make decent money. When you decide to come off the road and work in the warehouse you will take an enormous pay cut.
Was a nice place to work but a management change had a negative impact on the office atmosphere
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hills, PAJune 4, 2017
I learned a lot about financing and working with customers face to face and on the phone.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers. Most times it was not our fault but we had to listen to their complaints, that was part of the job.
Many of the customers were very nice, even if there was an issue. I tried to focus on the nice customers and deal the best way I could to solve everyone's problems.
Pros
Close to home, fellow employees very good people.
Cons
unreasonable expectations
Worst place I ever worked
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hills, PAMay 17, 2017
Management is cut throat, unprofessional, uneducated in labor laws and discriminates employees with health issues. Too much unnecessary drama which management creates. Nothing is kept confidential with management.
Great workplace
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Smithton, PAApril 18, 2017
A great place to work great people and great management work hours were great and had weekends off and all major holidays benefits and pay was awesome definitely recommend working there
Fast Pased Environment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Smithton, PAMarch 27, 2017
Levin is a great place to work. Management is very helpful. Training is very thorough. You will move up quickly through the company. There is a lot of room for advancement.
Tense place to work
Help driver (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, OHFebruary 15, 2017
Many people get fired. Manager is known for a lot of turnover. Learned about the furniture delivery business and how to be efficient and make each day as productive as possible.
Pros
Good pay for drivers
Cons
Tense place to work
Wouldn't call it a career.
Material Handler/Forklift Operator/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Smithton, PANovember 29, 2016
The compensation was not too pleasing. The raises are disappointing, on average 30-40 cents per year as long as you show initiative. That really doesn't help much considering the cost of living goes up 2.5% on average each year, so it really just keeps you on level ground. Only way to make more than $20k working at the warehouse is doing delivery which is back breaking work. They need to re-evaluate their wages, maybe people would stay there. They do have paid vacation, holidays, and ok benefits.
Pros
Vacation benefits paid holidays friendly management
Cons
Mediocre wage, not alot of room to work in the warehouse.
Long hours and heavy lifting.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Oakwood Vlg, OHNovember 29, 2016
Delivery driver/ helper is a physically demanding job. Expect long days of lifting odd shaped objects into tight spaces. Always on the move and get to see/meet a lot of different people.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Delivering in the snow.
pretty good overall
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Smithton, PANovember 27, 2016
wonderful company working with the best people!!! Very fulfilling, fast paced, energetic environment. Not the best pay but reasonable. Other than compensation it is a great job. Management and employees are very friendly
Pros
Stability. Great easygoing People
Cons
Compensation
Productive and fun workplace
Stock associate (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHNovember 22, 2016
Vigorous work definitely enough hours to work positive work environment would have liked more teamwork in order to complete assignments more efficiently.
Pros
Great shift
Cons
A very rigorous work
Selling furniture was fun; company culture encourages short-term performance and discourages long-term learning and growth.
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHJuly 6, 2016
Company aggressively promotes the most talented employees while just as aggressively culling the least talented. A business strategy coined as "rank and yank" and followed by Enron.

The most talented sales employees prove their prowess with over $100,000 in sales per month. Seventy-five percent sales staff has 10 - 20 years furniture sales experience. Therefore, with over 10 employees writing $100,000 per month - means that one is rated at the bottom 10% when writing only $85,000 per month.

Personally, and in hindsight, I believe this strategy has inadvertently contributed to a narcissistic culture that is both smug as well as driven by a deep insecurity to just keep the status quo at any and all costs. I wish it had been different!
Pros
The job of selling furniture is good.
Cons
Long hours, Work every weekend, some encouraged others discouraged.
fast paced work environment
Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHJune 27, 2016
very faced pace and busy office. the job is easy and vey laid back environment. The hours are long because of it being retail.
Pros
401 k health benefits
Cons
retail hours
Nice place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  McMurray, PAApril 15, 2016
I met a lot of people at this job. For the most part my co-workers were pretty nice also. The store manager always did nice things for us and we had contests like who took the most credit applications for the week.
Pros
meeting the public
Cons
compensation and benefits not so good
Worst job experience ever
Other Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Smithton, PAMarch 18, 2016
Unprofessional work place. Higher ups do not know what they are doing and do not know how to effectively communicate with co workers. One of the worst job experiences.
Pros
Cons
Horrible communication skills
Professional Clean environment where I was able to learn vital office management skills
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAFebruary 22, 2016
Levin Furniture was a great place to work there was always something to do between assisting and directing customers to sales agents, processing their sales and applying for financing. I was required to maintain pick-up and delivery files. I had to update customer info and call customers when changes to their were requited. I fax and copied documents and maintained an balanced the till. I also forward and directed phone calls and email. I found that multi tasking was fun but also a challenge. The staff was all friendly professional and helpful to me.
job lottery was won
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHDecember 8, 2015
wonderful place to work if you are young and egar.Once standing for long peroids becomes an issue you will be phased out.
Pros
good training
Cons
horrible communication from upper management
Good place
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHNovember 17, 2015
Great place to work. Nice people. Help customers and do transactions. They are a little behind on technology. Manager was friendly and helped me learn pretty fast.
A great experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 30, 2015
Quite a stepping stone into a world of sales. Forever grateful for my experience with Levin and it was an absolute pleasure working for Robert Levin. One of the very few ethical and honest CEO's presiding over companies with several hundred million in yearly revenue.

A great experience that resulted in growth and value as a businessman. Wonderful Company
busy satisfying position
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAMay 10, 2015
The company is a wonderful company, the owner is amazing and very generous... The choice of office management is less than satisfactory. Unable to comply with the benefits of full time employees as opposed to part-time. Lacking in the ability to create a schedule that shows where the Full and Part-time associates belong.
Pros
discount on purchases
Cons
retail hours not adjusted accordingly
they can do better
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  Smithton, PADecember 2, 2014
the company turned into an almost endless bureaucracy not unlike the federal government. the bosses will not stand up for the workers beneath them because they are only worried about their own image. the compensation is laughable, in order to make any money you would need to work there 20+ years, unless you work on delivery, where you will make decent money. i had a very positive attitude when i started, after a number of years however, i realized Levin's is a company only out for itself. The moment where i lost any hope of making a career at Levin's was when my supervisor told me, "You are doing a fantastic job. Everyone I talk to has nothing but good things to say about you and how well you do the job, but we can't pay you more just because you do a better job. We don't want money to cloud your judgement." There is no incentive to do a good job. Why would go above and beyond and stress yourself for no reward? you will get your 30 cent raise every year and that is it.
Pros
easygoing, not strenuous
Cons
pay, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Levin Furniture. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7