Lexington Humane Society Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Employees aren't treated with an ounce of decency
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington-Fayette, KYJune 6, 2016
If you're a good worker, you'll be expected to pick up everybody else's slack whether you raise concerns to management or not.

Terribly unsafe work environment. You will be stressed to complete morning cleaning under a time crunch with little to no help at all. There will always be understaffing because the organization does not want to pay overtime or hire more workers although understaffing is a safety issue.

No regard for worker safety as there is no effort for documentation if you are attacked by a dog that unfortunately was not able to handle the stressful environment and had a change in behavior. Also, you will be blamed for the dog being euthanized, even if it viciously attacks you and you can't do anything physical for months due to the damage.

You will not be treated like you know what you're doing. Don't bother trying to voice your input even if it's important. I voiced that a good dog (although easily stressed) shouldn't go home to a family with children, they sent him home to a family with a young daughter and he was brought back and euthanized a short period of time later because he bit her so hard in the face that she needed stitches.

Another incident was two dogs came into the shelter together. Assuming they would be upset if separated, we put them in a large cage. One was able to climb out of the cage so we were forced to put them in seperate "single" kennel as only the "single" kennels have a '"lid". Staff from another department insisted that they be in the same cage and that we put both (large) dogs in a single sized cage with a lid. We noticed
  more... that they started to get annoyed with each other very easily and got into multiple fights per day. Every day we voiced our concern to ears unwilling to admit fault. We started to seperate the two dogs over night so they wouldn't get into a fight while staff was not around to break it up but we were actually ridiculed and threatened to be punished for this. One morning, during the stressful cleaning, these two dogs got into such a bad fight that they had to both immediately be euthanized. All because nobody would listen to the "animal care technicians" (the only position that works with the animals all day). There were no reprocussions for those in charge and the same individuals who made the forceful decision to keep the dogs together still have the same authority to make animal-behavior based decisions now.

I could go on but you get the point.

Terrible communication and lying within each department. No room for advancement. Do not try to improve or offer valuable ideas or the terrible management will see your motivation as a threat.

Also the organization has a way of going about things that could be considered on the brink of "fraud" so they can keep a "good image" with the public, rather than put effort in to actually improve.
Pros
You help animals
Cons
You are treated like garbage
Animal control Officer
Animal Control Officer for Fayette County (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 5, 2016
On a typical day I would work with animals. I learned a great deal about different breeds and habits of animals that I dealt with. Management was lax and needed to be improved. Most of the people that worked there were dishonest and untrustworthy. The most difficult part of the job was remaining the time I did, the most enjoyable was working with the animals
Cons
The most enjoyable part of the job
Receptionist/Return-To-Owner Clerk (RTO) (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 3, 2015
I really enjoyed helping the owners get reunited back with their lost animals. The smile from the owners face made my day every time. I also enjoyed watching the animals get happy when they was reunited too.
Learned a lot about dealing with animals and how many unwanted animals there are.
Kennel Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 31, 2013
Enjoyed working here a lot,basically just took care of animals,reported any illness to vet techs or supervisor.Also dealt with geneal public,people coming in looking for their lost pets or potential adoptions.Tha hardest part,by far, was watching how many animlas were euthanized daily and wanting to take them all home.This was one of the nicest places I worked as regards co-workers and management, everybody was treated really well and they did a lot for their employees with a very limited budget.
Pros
good learning experience.
Cons
being non- profit, the pay wasn't much and only limited full- time jobs.
For Animal Lovers Only
Sworn Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Lexington,KyMay 11, 2012
I learned a lot about how to handle myself with aggressive dogs as well as aggressive people who own aggressive dogs. I loved everything about the job except the immediate management team. The Chief was knowledgeable, but was used by his sister who also worked there. She was the "woman behind the man" so to say. What ever she asked of brother, or even told brother, you could consider it to be done. Bit they would not allow any one else to have family members get a job there?? Odd..I would still be there if not for those 2..I enjoyed the job itself,
Pros
getting out on the road alone, connected by a radio to dispatch
Cons
management. chief and his sister..

2.6