Lexmark Employee Reviews

Lexmark Solutions Platform
Sr Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 27, 2015
The Lexmark Solutions Platform (LSP) owns many products such as Lexmark Document Distributor (LDD), Lexmark Print Management (LPM), Lexmark Print Management Mobile (LPM-Mobile), Lexmark Distributed Intelligent Capture (LDIC), Air Print etc.
Lexmark Document Distributor (LDD) is a system for capturing paper documents into digital format, or capturing existing digital documents and then processing these documents according to our business processes. LDD has several components tied to it such as installer, solutions, apbundle, e-mail watcher etc. Lexmark Management control (LMC) an UI portal for LDD which is built in Lazlo.
LPM, LPM-Mobile and LDIC are solutions build on LDD. Air print is another new feature which is recently added to LDD. Air print enables instant printing from I Pad, IPhone, IPod Touch and Mac without the need to install drivers or download software; all we need to do is select an Air Print Printer and print

• Followed Scrum methodology and used Rally for managing Software Development.
• Involved in planning (creating stories and tasking) with Product Owners, Architects and Team Members.
• Used SVN subversion initially and later moved to GIT. Involved in transition from SVN to GIT.
• Involved in enhancing LDD which is developed in 3-tier architecture.
• Fixed many defects in the portal LMC which is built in Lazlo. The defects involve translations, clipping and also functional bugs.
• Involved in building a new portal for Lexmark Print Management (LPM) which is a solution built on LDD and the portal is written in HTML5.
• Worked on Spring 3.2 version, Hibernate
  more... for mapping to a database, used Firebird as the database.
• Worked on Gradle for building, testing, publishing and deployment of the product.
• Worked on Jenkins which provides integration services for software development.
• Worked on RESTFUL and JSON web services. Used Eclipse as the IDE
• AirPrint is a grails application, and involved in learning groovy/grails and started working on it.
• Worked on Grails 2.2 version and involved in writing SPOCK TEST CASES and also worked on Intellij as the IDE
• Worked on UNIX and IOS environments to test the Air Print server. And involved in testing the AirPrint server with IPP tests and APVT tool.
• Developed AirPrint configuration Portal in Bootstrap framework which contains HTML and CSS based templates
• Followed Kanban development in scheduling Stories at the time of AirPrint release.
• Involved in UI Design discussions and Implemented the portal with WCAG 2.0 Guidelines
• Perceptive Client Framework is built on BackBone.js library. Backbone.js gives structure to web applications.
• Worked on Selenium Web Driver for browser automation.
• Involved in implementing REST API versioning strategy for LDD Management Console.
• Implemented the JSON object models for different tabs in the UI.
• Worked on formulating the Branching and Release Strategy for the repository.
• Implemented LDD Image Now REST interfaces for LMC.
• Worked on CSS and also involved in documenting the CSS strategy for the portal.
• Worked on HTML 5. Many controls require HTML element to place content inside.
• Implemented all the tabs for LMC which includes Device Groups, Solutions ,System and Devices tabs
• Worked on creating a GIT repository for LMC UI.
• Involved in building a nightly build on Jenkins
• Worked on Jasmine, which is a behavior-driven development framework for testing JavaScript code.
• Worked on Swagger which allows documenting the API. Swagger is a specification and complete framework implementation for describing, producing, consuming and visualizing Restful web services.
• Worked on Node.js, it is a cross-platform runtime environment for server-side and networking applications.
• Worked on Bower which is a package management system for client-side programming. It depends on Node.js and npm.
• Worked on Chef Software, this is a configuration management tool. Chef is used to streamline the task of configuration and maintain a company’s servers and can integrate with cloud-based platforms.
Flexible work schedule--so flexible your hours might be zero tomorrow
Contract employee (Current Employee) –  LexingtonOctober 30, 2012
There is very little job security at Lexmark. The worst part about it is not just the frequent layoffs (one every year or two): it's that the layoffs rarely consider performance or value to the company. The first line managers are usually terrific, but most employees are simply numbers on a spreadsheet to anyone second line and beyond. What kind of company lays off employees who they ACKNOWLEDGE are good performers and do their job well?

If you're a contractor considering working at Lexmark, know that you will likely be treated by your immediate manager as a regular employee most of the time, allowing you to feel like a valuable part of the team. Then suddenly you're not allowed to participate in some events or you're constantly referred to by upper management as "just" a contractor. Remember that your job is temporary (even if it's "long term"), and if you need something stable, NEVER stop looking for something else. Keep your resume out there and network like crazy.

If you've been with the company for several years and know the right people, I'm sure it's an excellent place to work. Look out, though: if they decide your job doesn't need to be done that well, it will be sent over$ea$.
Pros
cafeteria on site; flexible work schedule; friendly atmosphere; decent pay
Cons
no job security; upper management out of touch with employees; bottom line mentality
Experience was a valuable part of my career/life
Manager, Facilities Internal Services (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 11, 2014
Starting with my employment at IBM (1980) until my transition to Lexmark (1992); ending with my retirement when in 2006 my department, along with several others, was outsourced to an outside contracting company. Initially, I found a company that valued it greatest asset - its human resources (employees). A typical day at work was one that required being able to multitask as I was allowed to cross into areas other than just my immediate dept. I learned that with continual education/courses/classes, you could advance by not only working smarter, but harder as well. I had several opportunities for special assignments that sometime included travel. Most co-workers were ambitious teamworkers that understood that sometimes to advance meant giving someone else a "leg" up. Managment was a challenge that sometimes required early mornings and late nights, but was worth the effort which sometimes made it difficult to balance work & personal life. Most enjoyable part of the job was the varied opportunities afforded me in my 26 years with IBM/Lexmark.
Pros
opportunites for advance / special assignments (outside the box)
Cons
adapting to over business world corporate focus.
Going Downhill since 2006 with poor Leadership and Management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 16, 2014
Worked there for 15 years and was great company from 1998-2006, when incompetent management and constant reorgs/layoff began.
What kind of CEO and leaders continues to get million dollar bonuses while laying off thousands of people and forcing employees to train non US citizens to offshore their jobs overseas?
Way too many managers without skills of staff, who waste most time in meetings and discussing metrics without producing or providing value add to staff or organization. No loyalty to employees whatsoever. May be out of business in few years at current direction they are heading. If economy picks up - there will be massive exodus to other jobs. For now, Lexmark can continue taking advantage of employees.
Pros
from 1998 to 2006 had good competent management. diverse place to work at, better than average compensation and growth opportunities until 2006
Cons
no loyalty to employees, extreme age discrimination mostly to lay off anyone who reached higher salary bands, continues to move work offshore to philippines and india, forcing employees to train lower wage overseas staff to eliminate your job
Great work culture and flexible hours, but no advancement opportunity or job security
Chemist/Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 21, 2015
Lexmark is a great place to work as a work culture. Many of the people are very health conscious and work out at the YMCA during lunch break. It's great to have other people help you stay committed and fit when it's so easy to quit exercising.

The hours are very flexible. Employees are allowed to come in to work between 7-9am and work their 8 hours. It generally isn't a problem if you need to leave work for your children or family needs. They are very accommodating for family needs.

There is no job security and very little advancement opportunity for those you are not chemical engineers. However, if you are a software engineer, you have more advancement opportunity.

Their benefits are good and have flexible spending accounts and savings accounts for child care costs, which are taken out pretax. They have 401K matching and many free services for improving your health.
Pros
Flexible work hours, positive work culture, accomodating to family needs
Cons
little advancement opportunity and no job security
highly ambitious and motivated hardworking with skills and experience
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 7, 2013
I am a highly ambitious and motivated hardworking with skills and experience in the following fields:

• Programming in Visual Basic .Net, VB6.
• Programming with JAVA Language.
• HTML/CSS
• JavaScript
• PHP Programming
• Microsoft SQL 2005 programming.
• SQLite
• Excel Programming
• MS Access
• Managing and Maintaining PC.
• Systems Analysis and Design with UML.
• Computer Security.
• Technical Support
• Call Centre – Inbound and Outbound Calls.

I currently work for Lexmark from January 30, 2012 to Current as a Software Developer in VB .Net, Java and Excel Programming.

Below is a brief summary of my job duties at Lexmark:

• Creating and maintaining software tools to assist Lexmark consultant with their daily client projects and reports.
• Provide technical support to Lexmark Consultant with any software tool issues.
• Maintaining a data collection software I built to run on Windows 7 tablet using VB .Net.
• Develop a data collection tablet application to run on Android using Java.
Never the same after last CEO retired
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 29, 2015
Overall a good place to work and learn a variety of new skills. Flexible and for the most part pleasant work environment. Very good benefits. But the meetings and extra curricular 'activities' I found exhausting and kept me unable to focus on my actual job. There were many 'lateral' promotions, which means you get moved around a lot and have to learn new jobs and skills, but it does not effect your pay. They would rather spent millions of dollars on 'diversity day' and whatnot than give raises to their employees, although most of jobs have been outsourced by now. They do have fun employee activities and training, educational opportunities. Co-workers were great and direct management pleasant and good to work for. It became an increasingly stressful work environment over time.
Pros
flexible, good benefits, employee activities, great learning enviroment
Cons
Meetings, meetings, more meetings, ridiculous and frivilous employee 'improvement activites'
Great People, Strong Products, but growing pains
Business Development (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 3, 2015
Worked here for almost 15 years in many sales/marketing/consulting roles. They tend to micro-manage the sales efforts but less so in other parts of the company. Unlimited vacation means they treat you like an adult in terms of managing your time. Low turnover outside sales if you ignore letting people go due to M&A (my fate). In the consulting role, I was able to get a glimpse of culture at literally hundreds of companies and Lexmark held it's own. It is just a bad time right now for morale (winter 2015) due to the restructuring. I suspect this will continue for most of 2016 until the dust settles. Despite all that, long term prognosis is good provided the culture survives the current disruption.
Pros
Good pay. Work/life balance. Lots of smart, genuinely good people to work with.
Cons
Benefits are hit/miss. Advancement is much harder for remote people.
Productive fun workplace
Senior Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Round RockJune 22, 2014
In my typical day I wear many hats as a system administrator, Help Desk Technician, Network Admin and a Field Technician.

My day will usually include being able to balance my routine maintenance tasks with diagnosing problems reported by our network users.

As a system administrator will also have to bear in mind when new employees join the company – I'm responsible for assigning the new hire’s admin printer privileges and setting up their login information.

From time to time I will also need to purchase new hardware and consumables for the business and spend time with the necessary vendors to work through any issues with installation and performance.

The last task of the working day usually is to respond to trouble tickets, printer set-up, assigning IP's to new network devices,
Pros
manages help desk sections
Scummiest company with HORRIBLE management
Chemical Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COJanuary 6, 2013
I am honestly surprised that this..."company"...is still in business.

The workers are treated horribly by the management team. The utter lack of motivation is not a surprise because any duties above or beyond typical daily are taken by the management as "their ideas" and then given credit for their work.

Products that are produced "out of spec" are still sold/shipped even though they are hugely out of the acceptable range.

The management and engineering team decide their own hours, coming in very late, taking hour breakfast/lunches, and leave early.

Time-cards were falsified so management could achieve the highest amount of over-time, every day/week, even though most of the time they were not present on site.
Pros
you'll get to sit around alot doing nothing drinking coffee
Cons
worst company imaginable
Various
Channel Product and Promotions Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 14, 2013
Created and presented all product, sales training for Lexmark’s Printer Services and Solutions Division to the solution provider, value-added resellers, systems integrators, service providers and distributor channels.

Traveled extensively across the United States and Canada providing content and training for Lexmark’s Consumer Printer Division’s products and solutions.

Managed sales training for a team of 30 Territory Sales Managers that were distributed throughout the United States and Canada.

Managed and implemented revenue stream improvement strategies for all “Big Box” electronic retailers within both markets.
Pros
a wealth of experiences throughout north america from a fortune 500 organization.
My only career so far
Team Leader Firmware Development (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 26, 2013
38 1/2 wonderful years at IBM and Lexmark has taught me to be critical thinker and to plan ahead.
Many of my days were developing new firmware solutions for Lexmark printers both laser and ink jet as team lead for about 4-5 engineers. Another part of my job was to help understand the issues that surfaced with the firmware and address customer issues. Another part of my job was to hold meetings and attend meeting to go over new work items, problem reports, and customer issues and report these to my peers and management.
Pros
hands off management (no micro managing), good team work environment
Cons
some nuisance politics and degrading printer market which causes moral issue
Flexible schedule and well compensated for the job done
World Wide Global Process Analyst/Management (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 10, 2015
I have worked with Lexmark for 16 years. I have learned a tremendous amount about business and the various subjects and areas of how it all works together. I have encountered great people and made life long friendships. I have gotten to travel the country and world and experience may things because of Lexmark.

I currently work as a process analyst. I develop processes, maintain, improve and train them world wide. I trouble shoot any issues with the process and work on continuous improvement and making the process as lean as possible.
Pros
Flexiable hours, compensation, employees
Cons
expensive healthcare, unstability
Great for Comp and Vacation
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 3, 2014
The best part of Lexmark is they pay very well for an area of low cost of living. They also have a very liberal vacation policy.

The worst part of Lexmark is the poor senior management (Directors, Group VPs) that are put in areas in which they have no experience. Example: Software engineers put in Marketing roles. There is always the threat of a layoff since the company is going through a strategic shift. They are moving away from being a printer company to a software, solutions, and services company. Because of these growing pains results have been uneven quarter to quarter.
Pros
comp, time off, people
Cons
poor senior management (directors, group vp), possible layoffs
Decent job, no job security
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago areaApril 27, 2013
You can do your job well, have customers who appreciate your efforts and are very happy with your work, and yet be let go because you didn't meet the metrics requirements.

Working for Lexmark has become a numbers game. If you don't consistently meet your numbers, your out. No matter that the customers are happy, you didn't meet the numbers. The fact that in order to make 1 of those metrics numbers required you to sacrifice 2 other metrics numbers, or that issues with 2 service calls in a months time can push you over the numbers they require...If your not extremely lucky, your out.
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
better to be lucky than good.
Challenging work environment with cultural diversity and a chance to work with international manufacturing partners
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 1, 2012
A typical day involved conference calls with an international team of design engineers that I interfaced with or managed. This gave me the chance to work with several different asian nationalities to learn how to work with them and the difficulties that they live with daily. My coworkers were wonderful to work with and very talented and helpful. The hardest part of the job was working with and engineering team that is in Asia and the amount of communication that is involved to ensure that we are all on the same page.
Lexmark is a wonderfully diverse place to work. However, due to recent outsourcing of jobs to the Philipines, job security is no longer applicable.
Vendor Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 18, 2012
Lexmark is a wonderful place to be employed. They strive for diversity and embrace cultural differences.

Co-workers are considerate and friendly. Management is fair and they encourage personal growth.

However, recently there has been much downsizing as jobs have been outsourced to the Philipines. Unfortunately, I was a victim of this "restructuring".

I would recommend working at Lexmark to anyone as long as they are prepared for the inevitable and are able to work without job security.
Large Company with Small Company leadership
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 10, 2015
I was thrown into the role with little to no direction on how to conduct a true "day in the life". I am a seasoned rep with the knowledge of prospecting, negotiating and closing deals. However, I was not given the proper credentials to even access my customers. I sold on the Federal side of the house (step-child). Little direction or guidance from leadership on navigating the channel or even closing RFPs. I still managed to close deals and finish the year above plan.
Pros
Excellent benefits and high base salary.
Cons
Terrible commission structure and VERY poor leaders.
Good Company
Professional Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 17, 2015
Lexmark is experiencing some growing pains but in a good way. They really are a good company with great technology and services. The work/life balance is good and if you work in one of the main locations you will be connected with the right people. Working in the remote offices or from home offices tends to isolate you and present challenges but they can be over come by always hitting home runs with your sales or the work you produce.
Pros
Solid company that owns its technology
Cons
You need to already be in or get into the "connected club" if you plan to be successful long term
Customer Support Services
WW Mgr. of Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 30, 2015
My experience with this company is not a positive one. The culture is "old IBM" (which created the Lexmark brand). They have little or no data required to run a business. They want to retain customer maintenance contracts. However, most of their equipment is sold through a channel that sells their maintenance contracts. As such, they can't even tell you where the customers are and where the equipment is placed.
Pros
good salary
Cons
poor management, little cooperation between departments, terible culture and it is based in lexington, ky (where there is nothing to do).